Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

What do all you fashionable homosexuals think about Aerondight? Does it keep up with random loot after a few levels?

I'm at the tail end of a NG+ run and my Aerondight from my first playthrough has kept up with me the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Walrus Pete posted:

I want to love it, but it seems like a really good relic sword or witcher sword will outclass it because of all the bonuses (sign intensity, crit chance and/or damage, etc) that Aerondight doesn't get. The base damage does stay competitive if you keep up your hit streaks, though.

Aerondight doesn't just scale up with you as you level, it also does up to double damage if you fight well. At the point you can get it, you'll likely have learned to keep out of the way of baddies, so its actual damage is much higher than its base value.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

hey should i play the two expansions before or after i complete mq?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Let's play sperg eye for the Witcher guy:

This is the choice with which I am faced.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Dongicus posted:

hey should i play the two expansions before or after i complete mq?

After.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Finally started Witcher 3 and hot drat does it look good. I'm enjoying the combat too, and having my potions and oils containing charges. It's all of the quality of life changes absent from 1 and 2. Don't much care for Gwent though, never been into card games. Does it still have the fight club and dice poker? I hope it's not as disappointingly short as Witcher 2.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Thanks! Does it make more sense story-wise that way?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Arglebargle III posted:

Let's play sperg eye for the Witcher guy:

This is the choice with which I am faced.

I'd use Aerondight just because it's much cooler and it stays competitive, damage-wise.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Aerondight does up to twice it's listed damage as long as you can dodge, a normal sword would have to be enormously higher level to compete even taking into account the crit stats. Nothing else in NG is going to, certainly.

(You can see a sword's average damage taking crit into account in the character screen, btw.)

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 25, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

sitchelin posted:

Finally started Witcher 3 and hot drat does it look good. I'm enjoying the combat too, and having my potions and oils containing charges. It's all of the quality of life changes absent from 1 and 2. Don't much care for Gwent though, never been into card games. Does it still have the fight club and dice poker?

there are fist fights and horse race minigames, yes

sitchelin posted:

I hope it's not as disappointingly short as Witcher 2.

oh sweet summer child... the base game is a solid 80-100 hours of content and by that I mean it's all very high-quality without a bunch of timesink filler content

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Dongicus posted:

Thanks! Does it make more sense story-wise that way?

Yeah, the only debate is really Hearts of Stone since you do get some unique dialogue if you do it before ending the base game. I did after but some people swear by doing the original story up to just before you find Ciri, then do Hearts of Stone, and do Blood and Wine after the base game.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

John Charity Spring posted:

I'd use Aerondight just because it's much cooler and it stays competitive, damage-wise.

When the stack bonus does its thing on smaller enemies it's loving hilarious. Blasted a drowner's head into the sky the other day :black101:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sindai posted:

Aerondight does up to twice it's listed damage as long as you can dodge, a normal sword would have to be enormously higher level to compete even taking into account the crit stats. Nothing else in NG is going to, certainly.

(You can see a sword's average damage taking crit into account in the character screen, btw.)

nm Aerondight is obviously better, I just can't loving read.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 25, 2016

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Arglebargle III posted:

"Just learn to dodge" doesn't make Aerondight crit all the time, it does return to zero when it kills on full charge even if the runes keep glowing.
Honestly I wasn't even taking that into account since I never learned to dodge. Luckily getting hit only halves your stacks or something like that so I was still at 3-6 most of the time and it was still way better than a level 50+ relic silver sword.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Arglebargle III posted:

nm Aerondight is obviously better, I just can't loving read.

I gave up on Aerondight since I couldn't reliably get the combos going. There are very few fights where I even get to hit something 10 times, and the ones I can I always get a random arrow in the rear end ruining everything. I got it to like level three before switching to something with a bunch of bonuses.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
That's the main issue on Aerondight. You either fight something that dies in a couple hits, but there's a shitload of them to ruin your combo. Or you fight something big that puts it to zero with single hit.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Moose-Alini posted:

I gave up on Aerondight since I couldn't reliably get the combos going. There are very few fights where I even get to hit something 10 times, and the ones I can I always get a random arrow in the rear end ruining everything. I got it to like level three before switching to something with a bunch of bonuses.

Eh, but it will reliably do 130% of its damage even if you can't get it to charge well. At 600 base damage it will actually do more like 800 damage, before taking into account base damage growth. That's the part I didn't remember. Auto-crit at 100% is just icing on the cake. It's basically the thing where attack damage grows with hits, but with faster growth and more forgiving about getting hit.

Also Jesus Christ Hans Christian Andersen what is with you and stories about children dying alone and unloved? How is this heartwarming?!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Vegetation phasing through the walls. Happens quite often.

Chased the one guy who ambushed a Nilf medicine cart. Once I took him down and we were done talking, his horse kicked Geralt in the face so hard he did a flip. Couldn’t even target it for some retribution. Hah.

Differently able Nilfs

“Here – your frying pan. Let me just reach into my rear end offscreen to get it.”

Witcher 2 had a good correlation between what an item was worth, and how good it was. If something was more expensive than something else, it was probably worth the tradeup. Is that still the case? Some cheaper items actually look better (Dorian steel sword and the Witcher steel sword in particular)

I’d give a lot for an upgrade that allowed you to loot as you ride.

Ahaha, mounting Roach as he stands on the edge of deep water you’re swimming in. Amazing animation.

Next to the Ransacked village, there’s are a bunch of drowners on the beach. If you jump down to fight them, and follow the beach line ahead, you’ll find that some genius designed the shore line so that you’re blocked off from climbing up it. You’ll have a fruitful expedition to the edge of the map, and then will be forced to backtrack back to the drowner spawn. Fuuuuuuuuun.

“Gotta jump down the well. Hope I don’t break my legs”. Jumping from where Geralt starts drops you on solid ground and kills you.

Do runes that improve sign intensity stack when they’re on different swords, or do they just apply to each sword individually?

Is there a way to sell all your junk / looted weapons at once?

Ok, I seriously have no idea what to do with the Abandoned Shrine next to the Noonwraith village. Killed a bunch of ghouls next to it, but the game won’t register that as clearing the danger around the shrine.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 25, 2016

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Arglebargle III posted:

Also Jesus Christ Hans Christian Andersen what is with you and stories about children dying alone and unloved? How is this heartwarming?!

It's either that or essays on the wonders of masturbation.

Seeing as Blood and Wine raises the level cap to 100 while the soft cap is in the 50's, would this be so you don't max out early in a new game plus?

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Xander77 posted:

Ok, I seriously have no idea what to do with the Abandoned Shrine next to the Noonwraith village. Killed a bunch of ghouls next to it, but the game won’t register that as clearing the danger around the shrine.

Internet suggests you need to kill 4 ghouls. Apparently there's a bug where they don't all spawn, try meditating where they were, or fast traveling to the next marker and come back.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Moose-Alini posted:

Internet suggests you need to kill 4 ghouls. Apparently there's a bug where they don't all spawn, try meditating where they were, or fast traveling to the next marker and come back.
Thanks. Worked.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Holy poo poo White Orchard is literally more than a year in my past.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Xander77 posted:

Next to the Ransacked village, there’s are a bunch of drowners on the beach. If you jump down to fight them, and follow the beach line ahead, you’ll find that some genius designed the shore line so that you’re blocked off from climbing up it. You’ll have a fruitful expedition to the edge of the map, and then will be forced to backtrack back to the drowner spawn. Fuuuuuuuuun.

There's actually a spot where you can climb up, just to the left of where the guarded treasure is. Either on the right of that screenshot or in that general area. Not far away from the bridge anyway iirc.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's not very obvious though. Thankfully Witcher 3's jump is very forgiving so if you keep trying you'll eventually glitch yourself up there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Arglebargle III posted:

What do all you fashionable homosexuals think about Aerondight? Does it keep up with random loot after a few levels?

Others have already said it, but just to pile on - I'm getting close to wrapping up New Game+ on Death March using the Aerondight I picked up on my first playthrough and it's still more than holding its own against the "better" swords that are available to me now.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
And looks like some new people are upset with how short a fall kills Geralt. If you hit the jump button right before you hit the ground it will roll and mitigate the fall damage, to a point. The fall distance with this tip is pretty realistic, Geralt can jump to the ground higher than I could without getting hurt, but a jump that will probably kill or maim me would do the same to Geralt. It seems unusually short drops (for a video game) will kill you, so make it habit to roll every time you leave the ground.

Jump off a one story building, your fine with a roll. Jump off a two story building and yer probably dead.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah that's a really huge change from release. It was so annoying to drop 5 feet and lose a quarter of your health, especially before Gourmet was a thing.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Xander77 posted:

Chased the one guy who ambushed a Nilf medicine cart. Once I took him down and we were done talking, his horse kicked Geralt in the face so hard he did a flip. Couldn’t even target it for some retribution. Hah.

Differently able Nilfs

“Here – your frying pan. Let me just reach into my rear end offscreen to get it.”

Witcher 2 had a good correlation between what an item was worth, and how good it was. If something was more expensive than something else, it was probably worth the tradeup. Is that still the case? Some cheaper items actually look better (Dorian steel sword and the Witcher steel sword in particular)

I’d give a lot for an upgrade that allowed you to loot as you ride.

Ahaha, mounting Roach as he stands on the edge of deep water you’re swimming in. Amazing animation.

“Gotta jump down the well. Hope I don’t break my legs”. Jumping from where Geralt starts drops you on solid ground and kills you.

Do runes that improve sign intensity stack when they’re on different swords, or do they just apply to each sword individually?

Is there a way to sell all your junk / looted weapons at once?

Yeeesh, dude, try not to have too much fun there...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Moose-Alini posted:

And looks like some new people are upset with how short a fall kills Geralt. If you hit the jump button right before you hit the ground it will roll and mitigate the fall damage, to a point. The fall distance with this tip is pretty realistic, Geralt can jump to the ground higher than I could without getting hurt, but a jump that will probably kill or maim me would do the same to Geralt. It seems unusually short drops (for a video game) will kill you, so make it habit to roll every time you leave the ground.

Jump off a one story building, your fine with a roll. Jump off a two story building and yer probably dead.

Quite.

RatHat posted:

Yeah that's a really huge change from release. It was so annoying to drop 5 feet and lose a quarter of your health, especially before Gourmet was a thing.

It was in the release version. I know because we had these same conversations at that time.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This is the part of my posting where I show you the thing that everybody else has already show you.

I know about you have already seen this, but that knowing hasn't stopped me. Will you stop me? Only a hero can.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So seriously the Griffin armor continues to be the best looking (and my favorite to use) in the game. Looks like real armor too. Black dye on grandmaster is awesome.

That said, can someone explain to me the purpose of those flaps at the waist that are on a lot of the armor sets? I don't understand their purpose.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Do you only need Ekimmara hide for 2 potions now?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think cat is the best for a real armor look. Brigantine over chain shirt with leather gloves and boots. Reasonable wear for the armored man on the road.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Arglebargle III posted:

I think cat is the best for a real armor look. Brigantine over chain shirt with leather gloves and boots. Reasonable wear for the armored man on the road.

Isn't the cat gear sleeveless?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

One of the feline sets adds a chain shirt, then additional cloth, leather and studs get added by later sets.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Arglebargle III posted:

One of the feline sets adds a chain shirt, then additional cloth, leather and studs get added by later sets.

Ok I just looked it up again to remind myself of it. I can understand liking the look and it at least looks like it could be put on by Geralt himself (unlike some armor in the game).

I know there's always been some "lol fat Geralt" commentary with Griffon but it's a pretty good armor look to me. Grandmaster looks amazing.

But hey I guess this is all personal preference. Still would love to know what the damned flaps are for. :(

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Haha, the bandit fight in the inn seems custom made for the “kill 5 enemies in 10 seconds” and “kill enemies without taking damage” achievements. Nice congruence of gameplay and story. You feel appropriately badass, but also understand why the peasants are all horrified.

Steadily learning to disregard the medallion jumping around during cutscenes – that’s just how the animation on the characters works, I guess.

You can move the camera around ever so slightly during cutscenes. No idea if there’s ever a reason to do so.

Why do all these lovely peasant homes have extensive libraries?

Am I missing the point / purpose of spies in Gwent? What are they good for?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Xander77 posted:

Probably, because they are absurdly overpowered. You can use a combo of spies and medics to play through your entire deck.

Anyway, the most annoying thing in this game (at least on death march) are easily the fights where you're restricted from using your full set of abilities. I.e. when you can't use signs in the Blood and Wine tourney, and especially when you can't use anything but your fists against the three dwarves in the Blood and Wine gwent tournament. The hit boxes are completely messed up and clear hits don't do any damage, blocking doesn't work against the clubs, can't use bombs or signs and the fight arena is the size of a card board box. Ughhhh.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Xander77 posted:

They let you draw more cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Arcanen posted:

Probably, because they are absurdly overpowered. You can use a combo of spies and medics to play through your entire deck.

Anyway, the most annoying thing in this game (at least on death march) are easily the fights where you're restricted from using your full set of abilities. I.e. when you can't use signs in the Blood and Wine tourney, and especially when you can't use anything but your fists against the three dwarves in the Blood and Wine gwent tournament. The hit boxes are completely messed up and clear hits don't do any damage, blocking doesn't work against the clubs, can't use bombs or signs and the fight arena is the size of a card board box. Ughhhh.

In fiat fights never hold block. Parry a blow, mash jab. Dodge away. Rinse repeat. All the 3v1 fist fights are trivial.

You can also drink swallow during them if you absolutely have to.