Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
I have an extra wristband for the DCM if anyone wants it tomorrow. Send me a PM if you're interested! (it was loose and I took it off before bed then forgot it & had to buy another :P)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
When did an engineer walk out during a show? I've never heard about that.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The_Rob posted:

When did an engineer walk out during a show? I've never heard about that.

Engineer Cody used to apparently go to the bathroom in the middle of shows being recorded.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
There was one UTU2TM episode where the engineer (I'm assuming Cody) left right before a commercial break so the Scotts just repeated 'The Prisoner of Azkaban' over and over in different voices until he got back.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Engies walking out seems to be pretty common. I'm going exclusively from HH but they made a running joke out of Cody leaving ("I assume it's some sort of bathroom issue") and the new-hire, Ryan, was absent when they were recording the native advertising midway through last week's show.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

ibntumart posted:

Bill Burr had the right reaction to those.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNe1i20yA4c&t=71s

This is seriously one of my favorite ad reads ever. The only one better is for an even stupid product, then Man Grate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnjQKZpmRC0

VPN was an Earwolf jam, right? This belongs here.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I thought it was Carolla's, and they had a deal with Earwolf.

I miss them, it was a good idea.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
You guys forgot the shady peer2peer lending site though I forget if they were on earwolf stuff or just maxfun

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Oh if we're throwing in Maxfun stuff you can't leave out the Macelroy brothers having to talk about dick cages for months on end.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
From the Earwolf subreddit, it seems like Hollywood Handbook is doing really well these days in terms of listeners! Especially when compared to other shows
https://www.reddit.com/r/Earwolf/comments/4pofkk/graph_bootleg_earwolf_listener_numbers_june_2016/

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Zsinjeh posted:

From the Earwolf subreddit, it seems like Hollywood Handbook is doing really well these days in terms of listeners! Especially when compared to other shows
https://www.reddit.com/r/Earwolf/comments/4pofkk/graph_bootleg_earwolf_listener_numbers_june_2016/

Suck it, Wolf Den!

Also I thought Yo Is This Racist was some kind of sleeper hit?

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
It's an unofficial list, but supposedly it's fairly accurate as Soudcloud apparently goes by some central RSS thing (see the reddit post for more info). Interestingly enough YITR has 20k followers on soundcloud, but only 3-4k listens per episode. Compared to HH which has 1k followers but 30k average on each episode.

Maybe people are just following so they're hip/not racist but don't bother to then listen?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Poopy Palpy posted:

Cards Against Humanity is worse than Monsanto.

It was annoying how smug the CAH ad copy was.

It also sucked when every podcast out there wouldn't shut up about Draft Kings. I'm glad those days are behind us.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Man Beautiful/Anonymous got popular real fast, that's really cool

Srice posted:

It was all worth it for the HH ads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VGXloYZctI

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

David Gregory got fired from a major TV network and went and did a podcast for only 10,195 people?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Who was it who got pretty uncomfortable about reading Draft Kings copy because they'd have a gambling problem.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Woah that podcast with the terrible ad featuring insane real talk on marital sex and how sometimes it's a chore, you know? is surprisingly popular

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Zsinjeh posted:

It's an unofficial list, but supposedly it's fairly accurate as Soudcloud apparently goes by some central RSS thing (see the reddit post for more info). Interestingly enough YITR has 20k followers on soundcloud, but only 3-4k listens per episode. Compared to HH which has 1k followers but 30k average on each episode.

Maybe people are just following so they're hip/not racist but don't bother to then listen?

How will they know what's racist if they don't listen though?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Man Beautiful/Anonymous got popular real fast, that's really cool

Chris Gethard might be leading a cult so not surprising if you take that into account.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Gethard's podcast had a segment featured on This American Life, no surprise that it got a bunch of listeners as a result

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I'm always astonished when I see how popular How Did This Get Made is. I mean I know it's popular, but so far above even the flagship show.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Tarranon posted:

Woah that podcast with the terrible ad featuring insane real talk on marital sex and how sometimes it's a chore, you know? is surprisingly popular

It was a popular NPR podcast that Earwolf picked up after it was cancelled by WNYC, so it came with a built-in listener base. That ad probably limited any future growth from the Earwolf audience, though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

kdrudy posted:

I'm always astonished when I see how popular How Did This Get Made is. I mean I know it's popular, but so far above even the flagship show.

I'm mostly surprised because it's not a very strong show. Great personalities can only take a premise so far, and HDTGM is so much better when they love the crazy movies rather than just poo poo on them.

The best thing to come out of HDTGM are the new Slashfilm companion articles that actually do in-depth interviews with those involved - the Mel Brooks one and the one for Steel were fantastic. Heck, they're all pretty fantastic. I wish the podcast had a lot more of that going on - the Lexi Alexander and the Matthew Berry episodes are by far the best of the show imo.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

kdrudy posted:

It's the only show on the entire network with actually famous people hosting. I'm pretty sure that's it.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

um ever hear of a lil film called THE USUAL SUSPECTS

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Chris Gethard might be leading a cult so not surprising if you take that into account.

The Chris Gethard cult is way better than the Dan Harmon cult. But that Hollywood Handbook secret society is the one to look out for...

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

The Berzerker posted:

Gethard's podcast had a segment featured on This American Life, no surprise that it got a bunch of listeners as a result
I mean, he also has his own culty weird little TV show, I'm sure that helps.

Srice posted:

It also sucked when every podcast out there wouldn't shut up about Draft Kings. I'm glad those days are behind us.
That's the sound of a refreshing Pepsi Next in your earholes!

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I can't believe the David Gregory show isn't doing well in a medium where the average listener age is under 50

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.
The latest HH has probably my favourite earwolf picture ever.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Tom being a semi-regular part of HH now is my favorite podcast development ever, especially after he's railed against podcasts on his show for a decade. :)

Also I thought they record these in Tom's studio but I doubt he'd have a Midroll mission statement hanging on the wall there.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Haha the mission statement and its use of the word 'content'.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Work Friend Keven posted:

It's the only show on the entire network with actually famous people hosting. I'm pretty sure that's it.

Paul Scheer, Jason Mantzoukas and June Diane Raphael are not famous.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Correct, they are not. However, due to The League, the former two are more famous than Scott Auckerman, Matt Besser, or Paul F Tompkins. Being on a recent hit sitcom is a big boon there. Heck, Gethard is probably more famous than Auckerman et al due to his recurring role on The Office.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Correct, they are not. However, due to The League, the former two are more famous than Scott Auckerman, Matt Besser, or Paul F Tompkins. Being on a recent hit sitcom is a big boon there. Heck, Gethard is probably more famous than Auckerman et al due to his recurring role on The Office.

Huh. I didn't watch the Office that much but I didn't know he was on it. I know Kulap was on it once.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Gargamel Gibson posted:

They're all working actors who constantly pop up in TV shows or in movies as side characters. At least Scheer and Zouks are definitely on a "that guy" level when it comes to current comedies.

They're not OMG MOVIE STAR FAMOUS but they're better known by people who aren't comedy nerds than the guy with the weirdo talk show on IFC or the rest of Earwolf's comedians.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I'm surprised that Sklarboro Country is so low.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Paul Scheer and Jason Mantzoukas would be recognized by 99% of fans in any NFL stadium. People don't have to know your full name or alt comedy background to be famous. They are famous.

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

That's completely insane... I think it would be generous to say that 10% of people might recognize them. Which is still a hell of a lot, but I definitely wouldn't consider them 'famous'.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I wont speculate on the cutoff for being famous is but even if people would recognize them and be like "oh yeah its whats his name from the League" that doesnt mean that person is gonna go start listening to their podcast. Theres more famous people with podcasts that get less listeners than HDTGM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I think people really want to know how did it get made