Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yeah if you can watch Payback Roman is down and his vest has been tossed aside and then the camera cuts away for like 10 seconds and when it's back to Roman his vest has magically been put back on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'd resort to drugs if internet bullies kept bringing up my physique from two years ago.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

I'd resort to drugs if internet bullies kept bringing up my physique from two years ago.

You should take drugs because they are cool

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

yourdadsbestfriend posted:

How did the "Roman's shameful back" thing get started? Was there an actual report about that, or was it just speculation based on him still wearing the vest?

oh boy wait til you find out what happens to Samoan men when they turn 30. You know, that thing that happened to Reigns and the Usos in 2015, three men who don't wrestle topless if they can help it.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Mob posted:

oh boy wait til you find out what happens to Samoan men when they turn 30. You know, that thing that happened to Reigns and the Usos in 2015, three men who don't wrestle topless if they can help it.

Wasn't that because Rocky had gyno surgery and had to hide the scars?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
There's no CWC thread and it's not really nxt related yet, so I guess this goes here.

I was wondering about who the hell half of the people in the cruiserweight series were. Anyone able to give an overview of who the favorites are and why? Like, I doubt anyone knows anything about Ho Ho Lun, but I feel like I'm supposed to know a bunch of these guys. All I know is that Ibushi is apparently really cool.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

GeneX posted:

There's no CWC thread and it's not really nxt related yet, so I guess this goes here.

I was wondering about who the hell half of the people in the cruiserweight series were. Anyone able to give an overview of who the favorites are and why? Like, I doubt anyone knows anything about Ho Ho Lun, but I feel like I'm supposed to know a bunch of these guys. All I know is that Ibushi is apparently really cool.

Might be helpful:
https://twitter.com/wrestlewords/status/742463880257933312

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

GeneX posted:

Ibushi, Gran Metalik (Mascara Dorado), Zach Sabre Jr are the people to watch that you might not have seen on NXT.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

exploding mummy posted:

Ibushi, Gran Metalik (Mascara Dorado), Zach Sabre Jr are the people to watch that you might not have seen on NXT.

Thanks!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Those recommended free matches aren't that fun. Kota Ibushi vs Taiji IshimoriThis is my favorite Kota Ibushi singles match[/url], against Taiji Ishimori. It's probably one of the flippiest Ibushi matches outside of Kenny Omega or the CHIKARA RdV match.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Ibushi's actual best match is when he got carried to 4 stars by workrate legend YOSHIHIKO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LApVz53Spw

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

exploding mummy posted:

Don't forget akira fuckin tozawa

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Ibushi is legit one of my favorite wrestlers of all time. If we somehow got an Ibushi vs Jack Evans match I could die a happy lady.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

listing the best tozawa match to watch to be eita from last year's kobe world is a travesty.

watch the rematch from last month instead

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4dcwzj

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Are there many other wrestlers in WWE or back in WCW, that have different music as their entrance song and then once they have won their match?

I'm specifically talking about Mick Foley as Mankind during 98, where he has this as his intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9E5AynPz8w

And then after the match he has this as his exit theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rib2ZLwYNo

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
In WCW it happened a lot because their production was sloppy as gently caress.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
This isn't exactly the answer you're looking for, but in 2001 when Mick Foley was making sporadic non-commissioner appearances he would sometimes come out to the first version of his car crash theme and leave to the second version that had extra drums, but I think this was a similar production flub that was mentioned regarding WCW.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Was Mr. rear end considered an extension of the Billy Gunn character, or was he a different, unique person (in kayfabe (wrestling insider term for a made-up wrestling storyline)).

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Just an extension of THE BAD rear end BILLY GUNN

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

GeneX posted:

CM Punk was a huge fan-favorite, a bit of a diva (by which I mean a bit stuck up, egotistical, etc.), and really loving good on the mic. Like, not Austin or Rock good, but just below them.

This makes me wonder, who are/were the best promos in the business? In addition to those three, I would also say Vince McMahon, Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, and Ric Flair.

Enzo Amore, Kevin Owens, and Xavier Woods seem like they'll be on this list by the end of their careers. I think John Cena, Dean Ambrose, and The Miz are also pretty good on the mic, but not at the same level as these other guys. I know people think Sasha Banks is a good promo, but I haven't heard enough from her to say one way or another.

Who else?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

St Evan Echoes posted:

Just an extension of THE BAD rear end BILLY GUNN

He was a badass who also coincidentally liked asses. Now if you wanna ask if the cowboy gunn brother is the same as the not gay tag partner of chuck polumbo, that's a good question.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

shiksa posted:

He was a badass who also coincidentally liked asses. Now if you wanna ask if the cowboy gunn brother is the same as the not gay tag partner of chuck polumbo, that's a good question.

We all change a lot as we grow up and mature. It's just one of the little touches that made the character so believable.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

surf rock posted:

This makes me wonder, who are/were the best promos in the business? In addition to those three, I would also say Vince McMahon, Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, and Ric Flair.

Enzo Amore, Kevin Owens, and Xavier Woods seem like they'll be on this list by the end of their careers. I think John Cena, Dean Ambrose, and The Miz are also pretty good on the mic, but not at the same level as these other guys. I know people think Sasha Banks is a good promo, but I haven't heard enough from her to say one way or another.

Who else?
For a short while, I thought that Eddie Kingston had hands-down the best promos in the indies, possibly at that point anywhere.

Dean Ambrose was also really good at the time, with a kind of drunk all the time type of promo. Another

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 26, 2016

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

shiksa posted:

He was a badass who also coincidentally liked asses.

Did he always kick an rear end in a top hat's rear end?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Shine posted:

Did he always kick an rear end in a top hat's rear end?

rear end in a top hat is subjective, but I'm sure in his mind he was kicking the asses of assholes. In addition to shoving and sticking them.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

surf rock posted:

Who else?

We voted on a list of the 20 best talkers a couple years ago if I can find the thread

E: couldn't find the thread, but the top twenty were (from 20 to 1)

Larry Sweeney
Ted Dibiase
Nick Bockwinkle
HBK
Hulk Hogan
Vince McMahon
Terry Funk
Jim Cornette
Paul Heyman
Chris Jericho
Dusty Rhodes
The Rock
Bobby Herman
Randy Savage
CM Punk
Jake Roberts
Roddy Piper
Mick Foley
Ric Flair
Steve Austin

Fun fact about that poll, one person voted RVD a better talker than Ric Flair

Beef Jerky Robot fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 26, 2016

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Is there a reason Vader never worked ecw? Just never the right time, money wasn't there, etc?

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
are the mountain and the hound from game of thrones just the undertaker and kane

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Bigass Moth posted:

Is there a reason Vader never worked ecw? Just never the right time, money wasn't there, etc?

Japan always gave him more money than Paul E. could've afford. There's also a story that Paul only wanted him to come in to job for Tazz and that didn't fly well with Vader.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Laffin @ HBK being higher up on the list than Bockwinkel, who should be top 5 easily.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

surf rock posted:

Who else?

Cena at One Night Stand (with the T-shirt tossing) is one of the best promos IMHO, but IDK if I'd put him one the GOAT list. If he actually got to flex his muscles more and was less scripted I think he'd definitely rate but the glimpses of great promo work are so far between the heavily repeated stuff it's a bit of a toss up.

I'd add Pillman to that list as well. If we're including Lucha, I'm not the greatest judge because my Spanish is functional at best, but I've always thought Cibernetico was a good promo.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Fun fact about that poll, one person voted RVD a better talker than Ric Flair

The "RVD is aware that other companies exist and threatens to go to them" stuff is some of the best promo work of the 90's but his later fed stuff is real awful so defending that would be very hard. I guess if you count great moments of brilliance over lifetime achievement I could see the justification. I mean, Heyman probably wrote most of it anyways so it really should just count as a vote for him.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

NienNunb posted:

Laffin @ HBK being higher up on the list than Bockwinkel, who should be top 5 easily.

i agree but a lot less people are currently familiar with bockwinkel's work than most of the others on that list

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I will say that Cena is much better at making what he's saying sound like he's saying it than the majority of the roster. The vast majority of the roster just sound like they're remembering what was written down. Cena generally sounds like he's speaking extemporaneously.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

NienNunb posted:

Jerry Lawler not being listed at all is also surprising

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Cena has done twice as many great promos as Pilman ffs

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Cena's promo at the belt ascension ceremony before TLC is perfection

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

cena's star wars promo before MitB 2012, however...

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Does the WWE locker room still do wrestler's court, or did that mostly die out when JBL retired and Taker went part-time?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Alain Post posted:

Jerry Lawler not being listed at all is also surprising

Or Superstar Billy Graham. He could sell a match to a dead frog.

edit: Also Jake Roberts is a whole other level. He and stone cold are #1 and #2 for me, but Jake is one and stone cold #2. Jake's promos were just... well, he constantly talks about how he couldn't scream because of a throat injury when he was a kid, and it made him develop and entirely new promo style, which makes it just perfect.

Also, macho man? I mean I love macho, but his promos were just as nonsensical and over-intense as warriors. Hell, I don't even know which one was less intelligible. Also DiBiase should be way closer to the top.

Platypus Farm fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

NienNunb posted:

Yeah there was definitely a whole bunch of argument in the thread after those poll results came out about this very issue. Lots of posting of grainy youtube videos and name calling.