Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dunban posted:

Is the clerk at Anzu supposed to be Cath from FE6?

I am pretty sure most/all the clerks are supposed to be Fire Emblem characters, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
What are Detritus used for? I have a bunch off some Savage enemy battles and the description says that someone might collect them. Who does and when is it available?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
e: double post, weird.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I do feel like I'm missing out not knowing a single FE character other than Crom and Tharja

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Sakurazuka posted:

I do feel like I'm missing out not knowing a single FE character other than Crom and Tharja

Same.

Got some ways past the mini-boss. It's been kinda annoying the back and forth to Tiki to get better weapons so my battles aren't kinda wasted on maxed out weapons, but otherwise it's been real fun. Got my first wipeout when I decided to try out my second Savage encounter while only having 1 SP and realized they were level 16 compared to my lvl 12 dudes, but that's been it, hard mode's been neat.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My main dude has been using a maxed weapon for ages now and the next tier weapon needs a performa that is all ????? so haven't encountered what I need at all.
Everyone else has like least one unmaxed one.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I've never played a MST game and I've only played a few hours of a fire emblem. What's the verdict on this game? Asthetically it looks good, and I haven't played a good ol fashioned jrpg in a while.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Tharja is weird but I'm okay with that.

CrashCat posted:

that was a very brave thing to admit on these forums :ohdear:

Hell, I've never owned a Sony Console. And the WiiU is the first current/first up-to-date home console that I've ever owned during its lifespan (I did inherent a 360 well after the Xbox One came out). Otherwise, I've had only nintendo handhelds since I was a kid.

I do have a 3DS so I've been able to play most of the SMT games (with the exception of Soul Hackers and Strange Journey) that came out for that.

MrAristocrates posted:

Vita:
Persona (PSP)
Persona 2: Innocent Sin (PSP)
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (PS1, and the sequel to Innocent Sin)
Persona 3 Portable (PSP)
Persona 4 Golden
Persona 4: Dancing All Night (Warning: this is a rhythm game)

Persona 1 and 2 are pretty clunky overall, but Persona 2's got a great story. Yes, there was a PSP version of Eternal Punishment, but it never made it stateside. Don't play Persona 1. When you mention modern Persona, however, people are thinking of 3 and 4, which are very good. Note about P3P: they very heavily changed the presentation due to space constraints. In my opinion it doesn't really matter because 3 doesn't do much with its cutscenes but others feel more strongly. For these reasons (and also because I think 3 is kinda worse overall) play P3P before P4G. Also play P3P as the lady because the dude sucks.

The standouts here, especially in relation to TMS, are probably SMTIV and Persona 3 and 4. I'd snap up a cheap 3DS or Playstation TV. The 3DS is where mainline SMT lives, but if you want to play Persona, it's all on Vita, at least until 5 comes out.

e: also the Persona games are only tangentially related except IS and EP, don't worry about order.

Yeah, as I said I've got the 3DS and have loved those games. Already got SMT IV:A preordered.

Are the PS2 classics (like this one ) only playable on the PS3 and 4?

I thought most of the Playstation store stuff could be played on most of their consoles.

Is the Vita worth it? I have thought about it.

Saxophone posted:

I've never played a MST game and I've only played a few hours of a fire emblem. What's the verdict on this game? Asthetically it looks good, and I haven't played a good ol fashioned jrpg in a while.

My verdict is that it's excellent and it plays a lot like an SMT game. Very very good. Go get it.

EDIT: Nocturne is 2 ratings away from having 666 ratings. Get on it.

SylvainMustach fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 26, 2016

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They're only playable on PS3, not 4. I really like my Vita but there's not a lot there.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
ah, thanks.

well I may just get one some day as a handheld enthusiast. If I have any other questions Ill bring them to the Persona/SMT thread.

Alright. I've been taking my time and now I'm on to chapter 2.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
I think between Vita, PS3 and 3DS you can play like 95% of the NA releases of SMT games. PS3 also has access to the Digital Devil Saga games, which are closer to TMS inasmuch as they're more like straight JRPGS with focuses on character development and skills rather than demon recruitment and fusing.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If I spread enough rumors about a Nocturne release on PS4, it will come true.

This game still owns by the way. I like the xXgameplay loopXx, I like that you get an escape from dungeon spell quickly, I like that healing costs such a pittance. Good game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't know where to get Maca Leaves because for some bizarre reason they gave enemies item drops in this game but decided not to actually list anything but the Performa

I'm just going to hope I find two more sometime since supposedly quests don't expire

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Bogart posted:

If I spread enough rumors about a Nocturne release on PS4, it will come true.

This game still owns by the way. I like the xXgameplay loopXx, I like that you get an escape from dungeon spell quickly, I like that healing costs such a pittance. Good game.

Hell, you can buy ice packs for a pittance and those are a 200 hp full party heal. Occasional blue ghost sucker punches aside, TMS is pretty mellow for a SMT/FE game.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I bought and downloaded this game this afternoon but have not played it at all how smart am I very/not much

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The chapter 2 boss was hard work.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Sakurazuka posted:

The chapter 2 boss was hard work.

Uh oh.
I'm digging through the dungeon now.

I love how it looks so that makes grinding up a lot more fun. Even doing alright (knock wood) with the cameras so far.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah they're easy to avoid and see where they're pointing unlike a certain other recentish game with the same dungeon mechanic *cough*Zestiria*cough*

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't know where to get Maca Leaves because for some bizarre reason they gave enemies item drops in this game but decided not to actually list anything but the Performa

I'm just going to hope I find two more sometime since supposedly quests don't expire

It has a couple of weird oversights like that, as far as I can see there's no why of telling what requests you've got active either, other than the marker over the givers head, or the requirements.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

SylvainMustach posted:

ah, thanks.

well I may just get one some day as a handheld enthusiast. If I have any other questions Ill bring them to the Persona/SMT thread.

Alright. I've been taking my time and now I'm on to chapter 2.

I got a Vita basically just for Persona for like $100 off Craigslist and don't regret it one bit, I ended up finding some other cool hidden gems on there too. it's an incredible handheld, it just got pretty sparse support from developers.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

It has a couple of weird oversights like that, as far as I can see there's no why of telling what requests you've got active either, other than the marker over the givers head, or the requirements.

Yeah I mean at least you can easily look through all your maps and any active or new quests will show up there, but would it have killed them to give you a quest log so you don't have to go back and ask them if you forget what their quest is?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh my god Eleonora's transformation has blue hair she really is Franziska von Karma

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Saxophone posted:

It's good but I wouldn't really call it an old fashioned jrpg

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anything turn based is automatically old fashioned now

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's really similar to Persona 4 which is almost 10 years old at this point.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:negative:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The sessions are really cool and get way more interesting once the SMT staples of Nu/Rp/Dr start getting thrown in there. No longer can you just trust that hitting a weakness with one character will do max damage. I really like how you have to start carefully planning when an enemy is going to die so you can take advantage of Itsuki's power that lets sessions switch targets and ignore enemy resistances.

So idk if Persona had something like that but SMT IV didn't so it's all very fresh and new to me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It sort of didn't, apart from the occasional Galactic Punt, the Sessions are a more automated version of the press turn system it used though, where you'd get extra attacks for hitting weaknesses.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

It sort of didn't, apart from the occasional Galactic Punt, the Sessions are a more automated version of the press turn system it used though, where you'd get extra attacks for hitting weaknesses.

Yeah, and SMT IV had that too. But there wasn't as much strategy to that. The strategy in that game was all about making sure you had a solid party for what you were going up against since you were always shifting demons around.

I need to play Persona 4 but I just haven't had an opportunity in the few months since I bought a Vita. I'll probably get to it soon.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This got censored apparently?

as a teenager, this is messed up.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Does any of these teenagers rip out vertebrae?

I will have to get back to you on this one.

Saxophone posted:

It's ok, and (I don't think?) the Wii U has a lot or RPGs so if you like those and have a wii u you might as well get it, but it doesn't really do anything really exciting and new or exceptionally well.

If you liked Persona 4 a lot it'd probably be worth it, though?

I haven't beaten it and don't see myself doing so any time soon, maybe it gets better later.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 26, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Got my first Ma- spell. Anyone bothered to swap it in? I feel with single targeting spells and sessions makes Ma- spells useless...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Got my first Ma- spell. Anyone bothered to swap it in? I feel with single targeting spells and sessions makes Ma- spells useless...

I've experimented with it on Itsuki as he's not crying for skill slots so far. It has its uses with large groups of similar enemies, but it will probably be the first thing to go when I need space.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ma-spells with your high magic damage characters are pretty great as it makes it much easier to burn down large groups of enemies before they get a turn, but if you really need the skill slot then just stick with single.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Regy Rusty posted:

I've experimented with it on Itsuki as he's not crying for skill slots so far. It has its uses with large groups of similar enemies, but it will probably be the first thing to go when I need space.

ImpAtom posted:

Ma-spells with your high magic damage characters are pretty great as it makes it much easier to burn down large groups of enemies before they get a turn, but if you really need the skill slot then just stick with single.

I figured as much. This was with Itsuki as well. He was capped on skill slots and it didn't feel like a good trade on what I have slotted currently:

Zio +1
Cleave +1
Rakukaja
Dia +1
Rakunda
Horseslayer (probably gonna swap that one out since Touma already has it and I want to spread slayer stuff around)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So far I've honestly found the Slayer skills a bit too situational to really be worth a slot. That may change later on but usually it's more sensible to swap to someone with the elemental or weapon weakness than to try to force one. I'm sure there will be a bonus boss or something that requires it but eh.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Masqueraider Raiga.

I love this game

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Regy Rusty posted:

Fortunately if you don't like a character's transformed outfit you can right away just make them fight in their normal clothes, even without the DLC. Kiria I'll probably turn into the EO3 Princess.

I thought you were making a joke but there really is an EO3 Princess costume :stwoon:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I look forward to joining this thread when I get back from vacation and borrow my friend's WiiU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I hate cameras

• Locked thread