Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Rhymenoserous posted:

fishing pact wasn't the most hilarious part about archage.

Whats funnier than goons rationalising paedophilia in an attempt to keep the wool pipeline flowing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Anoia posted:

I don't know the full details about that one, I just know some goon offered to print up faction shirts and apparently never delivered and now he's a mod for a discord and people are mad about it?

MMO HMO drama is kinda like long standing family tension where everyone acts like you should intrinsically know why uncle bob should never be seated by uncle jim at thanksgiving, it's hard to keep up at times.

It wasn't that he never delivered, it was who the gently caress wanted a t-shirt with "the awful order" on it. We made a lot of fun of him, it was good times.

Discord/mumble poo poo is because we had a perfectly good mumble server and gently caress change, especially when it's the same thing.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Byolante posted:

Whats funnier than goons rationalising paedophilia in an attempt to keep the wool pipeline flowing

It didnt even happen ina merica :downs:

Single best/worst thing I read on SA

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Mizuti posted:

That's one of the things that keeps drawing me back to gawk at this trainwreck. They explicitly made a game aimed at ultra-hardcore grognards, then punished them for doing the raid content. What did they think would happen? Just how arrogant were the guys making these calls?

This gif says it all and has been passed from one Wildstar thread to the next. Haven't seen it in a while so here it shall go.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!

Givin posted:

This gif says it all and has been passed from one Wildstar thread to the next. Haven't seen it in a while so here it shall go.

Someone called out timetravel on this and he back pedaled so hard

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

noELrunes posted:

no he didn't, he posted a sarcastic "thanks for the feedback"

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

noELrunes posted:

Yeah I never read anything like that either but if it's true I would love to see it. Something about dumb assholes having to confront their own lovely contributions to the world is soothing for my soul.

Also I'm calling bullshit on that gif because there's no way Yoshi is keeping up with DK Jr.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
He actually did make a kind of half assed "Im sorry if you interpreted my comment that way" style apology after getting called out on it. This was a few months before he got laid off, and considering how he is one of the few Wildstar designer/managers who didnt fail upwards I suspect he and many others are aware of how big a mess he had made of the game. The funniest part though it how many posters defended him.

Post is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/41ogzj/kdb_daewoo_securities_outlook_and_forecasts_for/cz4qej0

I kind of suspect that the itty bitty cult of personality that grew up around that dude did very little to help him admit his mistakes.

A Redditor" posted:

You'd have to be a very special kind of snowflake to see that reply as hostile and making fun of players, instead of having fun with players and telling them "you haven't seen hard yet", which is exactly what raiders that just cleared the hardest content in the game want to hear.

Tons more like that in that thread.

DapperDraculaDeer fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 26, 2016

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Meanwhile in an alternate universe, City of Heroes is seeing its most profitable year yet as superheros enter the mainstream fully and gain peak popularity.

I just wanted you to know I just read this and I became really sad. Jerk.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

jabro posted:

Are we at the part of the MMO timeline where goons start coming out saying they were the lone voice of reason saying the game sucked but no one would listen?

I don't think any goons who thought this would be a steaming pile of poo poo were a "lone voice of reason" but yes, definitely.

Disclaimer: I never played this game, never wanted to and only watch news around it because it's a trainwreck waiting for the publisher to piss on the ashes. Also because the last remaining holdouts shill the gently caress out of it in the most pathetic ways possible and that amuses me.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

jabro posted:

Are we at the part of the MMO timeline where goons start coming out saying they were the lone voice of reason saying the game sucked but no one would listen?

There were more than a few, a lot of which were there since early alpha and a good chunk of people ignored them. Most telling wasnt their complaimts about the game, it was how little carbine seemed to adjust the game based on feedback and how slowly they progressed things internally.

Surprise surprise the game comes out its a steaming pile of poo poo and carbine cant salvage it because they didnt demostrate the ability to actually improve things during the alpha so what are the chances they can do anything when they also have to deal with the game in a live state and getting their studio constantly cut in size.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

There were more than a few, a lot of which were there since early alpha and a good chunk of people ignored them. Most telling wasnt their complaimts about the game, it was how little carbine seemed to adjust the game based on feedback and how slowly they progressed things internally.

Surprise surprise the game comes out its a steaming pile of poo poo and carbine cant salvage it because they didnt demostrate the ability to actually improve things during the alpha so what are the chances they can do anything when they also have to deal with the game in a live state and getting their studio constantly cut in size.

I ran forward with the general assumption that someone at carbine would realize what would and would not work (especially as it came to attunement). They eventually figured it out but by that time the game was fairly dead.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Rhymenoserous posted:

I ran forward with the general assumption that someone at carbine would realize what would and would not work (especially as it came to attunement). They eventually figured it out but by that time the game was fairly dead.

What works with attunement is not having attunement in the first place

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

For real though if you heard "vanilla WoW" used as an example of what they wanted this game to be and didn't immediately start backing off you a drat fool.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Oh Snapple! posted:

For real though if you heard "vanilla WoW" used as an example of what they wanted this game to be and didn't immediately start backing off you a drat fool.

But have you seen Warplots? :v:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The Faithful are doubling down on their denial of the impending doom now that the latest "last chance" population boost has been limper than a wet flaccid noodle. The steam charts show a massive population increase! (5k) Please ignore the part where it drops off immediately by 2k.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The dumpster fire consumed the last bit of fuel and is now smouldering until it gets hauled away.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

The worst (or best depending on your perspective) thing about Wildstar is it basically killed the future for AAA Western MMO's. After the failures of AOC, and WAR and the poor launches of SWTOR and ESO. Wildstar's massive failure was the final nail in the AAA MMO coffin. I don't think any big Western studio is working on any new MMO's. Blizzard even killed their MMO project. So thanks for that Carbine, now we have 300 early access survival games taking their place.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
MMOs have already been on their way out. The big studios are just chasing trends; 5 years ago it was MMOs, now it's MOBAs.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Digital card games, too. Hearthstone, Scrolls, Gwent, Legends...

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
If everybody and their dog is making a certain genre of game I demand that each genre of game have one that's solely about dogs.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Anoia posted:

If everybody and their dog is making a certain genre of game I demand that each genre of game have one that's solely about dogs.

So that weirdo wolf MMO from years back?

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010

Byolante posted:

What works with attunement is not having attunement in the first place

I think attunement is fine given a whole bunch of extenuating circumstances.
If it fits into a storyline that gives you a reason for why you are going to big bad guy area and killing him and his friends, if doing it on one character gives you an item that lets you skip it subsequent characters, if the attunement introduces you to the types of mechanics you are likely to see in the raid and finally if it's not a buggy piece of poo poo like Wildstars where you had a strict time limit and then at the end of a 45 minute zero mistake run you fell through the world right before the boss so you had to do it again and then the next loving run it happens to someone else so you just say gently caress it try again tomorrow.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Destiny is the best mmo to come out in years and isn't one. Quasi MMOs are the future

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

Destiny is the best mmo

hahaha

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It's got cool raids, easy dungeons, chilled out grinds, public events, more legendary quest lines than wow has ever had, story quests until level cap, something to do every day if you want to. It also does a better job of keeping old content functional and relevant and giving things a sense of place while making jumping into content convenient.

Face it, you can have all the upsides of MMOs without the downsides, unless you care a lot about having >5 other random nobodies you won't talk to on screen at a time for some reason.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It's still not great, IMHO, but they've certainly turned it around from the trash heap it was in its first year of "shoot at a cave for six hours that's my epic gun story", Strike bosses that had gigantic loving pools of HP and would melt you in two seconds so everyone abused geometry to make it even remotely fair, or changing the mechanics on Atheon (picking who to send through time was a much better idea than "random" especially when you wanted to have guns with Oracle Damage Up on certain people to deal with that.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Yeah I only started with Taken King and I've met very few people who played destiny at launch who are willing to even think about playing it again. On the one hand it's sad because it's a good game now but on the other hand maybe someone at activision will take a look at an excel spreadsheet and say "maybe we should.... finish... games...?"

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Fried Sushi posted:

The worst (or best depending on your perspective) thing about Wildstar is it basically killed the future for AAA Western MMO's. After the failures of AOC, and WAR and the poor launches of SWTOR and ESO. Wildstar's massive failure was the final nail in the AAA MMO coffin. I don't think any big Western studio is working on any new MMO's. Blizzard even killed their MMO project. So thanks for that Carbine, now we have 300 early access survival games taking their place.
I think the tide has shifted toward keeping preexisting MMOs running, which is somehow even more onerous. It makes sense though, as developing and launching a MMO is the toughest part by far. Why bother when you can rake in the cash by propping up a MMO from over a decade ago with a skeleton crew?

Also, in Blizzard's defense, they scrapped Titan at least once, remade it entirely, and it STILL wasn't good. I might not always agree with their decisions, but they definitely know when to ditch a prototype because it just isn't fun.

Amante fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 28, 2016

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I am pretty certain Titan, whatever it was meant to be, was much closer to Destiny than to WoW.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

The Chairman posted:

MMOs have already been on their way out. The big studios are just chasing trends; 5 years ago it was MMOs, now it's MOBAs.

Even mobas are failing, DOTA and LoL gobbled up almost the entire playerbase and HOTS and Smite are fighting for the scraps.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The real question is how does Heroes of Newark still exist and does it even have a playerbase?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

AlmightyBob posted:

Even mobas are failing, DOTA and LoL gobbled up almost the entire playerbase and HOTS and Smite are fighting for the scraps.

Which is pretty similar to what happened in the MMO market with WoW expanding the market/gobbling it up and leaving other MMOs to fight for scraps.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

The April update really made things better for destiny tbh, multiple ways to get to the light cap and poo poo isn't nearly as grindy as before. Whether or not this transfers to the new expac realm aims to be seen, but yeah, I do agree that destiny is one of the better quasi mmos out there.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CoffeeBooze posted:

Which is pretty similar to what happened in the MMO market with WoW expanding the market/gobbling it up and leaving other MMOs to fight for scraps.

Honestly that was mostly on publishers making GBS threads out wow clones to try going for a seemingly surefire buck, like they do with FPS games. That really wasn't surefire at all though, because why play a shittier clone? Unlike with normal games people play for 5 hours and finish and go to the next, the trick to success in MMOs is to find a niche and be good at it, not to make a lovely clone of the most popular, biggest, and most expensive game in the genre probably forever. Instead, we got a bunch of hotbar heavy, split your already tiny playerbase into two factions MMOs.

Meanwhile, eve seems to still be chugging along in its little niche, even during its slow downturn. Yeah, it's not wow popular, because it's a much smaller niche in the first place, but I'm pretty sure CCP high ups are rich as gently caress anyway.

And I count MOBAs into the same thing too, tbh. They're a quasi-mmo, people love playing lol & dota, if you want to make a fuckton of cash online, don't make a goddamn dota clone, invent something new and fun. Doesn't even need to be polished if it's good & fun, I remember dota was a dumpster fire for years until valve stepped in. Hell, it maybe still is now, I dunno.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mr. Neutron posted:

I am pretty certain Titan, whatever it was meant to be, was much closer to Destiny than to WoW.

You would be right. The arena PVP portion is what was cut out and turned into Overwatch.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

Unguided posted:

The real question is how does Heroes of Newark still exist and does it even have a playerbase?

Europeans with diseased brains + Thailand

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Truga posted:

but I'm pretty sure CCP high ups are rich as gently caress anyway.

not really. CCP likes to reinvest most of it's capital into really lovely ideas.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I dont want to even think about how much money CCP blew on that White Wolf game they ended up canning. They havent even found a way to try to salvage the art assets like Blizzard did with Titan. Its all just money flushed down the drain.

I get the feeling that CCP kind of stumbled into Eve and its success and has been just barely competent enough to keep running the game well enough to keep the fan base from revolting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

CoffeeBooze posted:

I get the feeling that CCP kind of stumbled into Eve and its success and has been just barely competent enough to keep running the game well enough to keep the fan base from revolting.

This is scarily accurate.

Truga posted:

Meanwhile, eve seems to still be chugging along in its little niche, even during its slow downturn. Yeah, it's not wow popular, because it's a much smaller niche in the first place, but I'm pretty sure CCP high ups are rich as gently caress anyway.

Who cares if you're rich if you live on volcano fart island.

Xolve fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 30, 2016

• Locked thread