Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

global trade organizations are very bad

How dare you disparage the great Honourable East India Company ?! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

britain's not getting out of this without a paddling, one way or another

no one could possibly own us as hard as we just owned ourselves

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Of course Soros is already loosing his poo poo about the death of his "borderless world" pipe dream.

Why would this guy care about the existence/disappearance of the E.U :confused:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36630468

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Decebal posted:

Of course Soros is already loosing his poo poo about the death of his "borderless world" pipe dream.

Why would this guy care about the existence/disappearance of the E.U :confused:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36630468

Because it's super easy to trade in the EU in its current state?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
If Jeremy Corbyn gets ejected as Labour leader and replaced by someone who is actually capable of winning a general election, then that will at least be a small silver lining.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Hammerite posted:

If Jeremy Corbyn gets ejected as Labour leader and replaced by someone who is actually capable of winning a general election, then that will at least be a small silver lining.

I don't think there is a single realistic candidate right now. Most of them don't want to touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ape Fist posted:

Honestly the image is basically correct.,

:agreed:

Cameron might have stuck his dick in a pig, but he's not going to put it in that trap. Putting onus on the Leavers to initiate Article 50 is probably a smart move if he hadn't painted himself into that corner in the first place. I can also understand it that he doesn't want the disintegration of the United Kingdom, the collapse of the British economy, or the Troubles starting back up again to be his fault, it's now the other guy's. All that poo poo is going to happen on Boris' watch, now. He gets to own that poo poo.

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

EU has every excuse to gently caress Britain's poo poo up and make an example of for those who try to follow

Also, true. I don't see Britain remaining in the EU without major concessions on their part. EU has every right to kick them to the curb. It would be hilarious if UK has to become a party to the Schengen agreement in order to remain or re-enter the EU.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
So, is this legal ? Appears that there won't be a Brexit after all. Lol at all the fiance guys panicking for nothing.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-36633244

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Decebal posted:

So, is this legal ? Appears that there won't be a Brexit after all. Lol at all the fiance guys panicking for nothing.

She's just posturing. Technically Brexit couldn't happen because only 25% of parliament want it to happen and it has to get through them first. However, the people have spoken so politicians have to at least be seen going through with it. The greatest chance of Brexit not happening is it being quietly shelved by the new government, which is unlikely to happen.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Decebal posted:

Who knows. Who loving knows anything any more

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Decebal posted:

When constitutional rules demand something impossible it just triggers a constitutional crisis

Scots can point to that bit of paper however much they like but it's not politically possible to reverse the decision

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

opus111 posted:

She's just posturing. Technically Brexit couldn't happen because only 25% of parliament want it to happen and it has to get through them first. However, the people have spoken so politicians have to at least be seen going through with it. The greatest chance of Brexit not happening is it being quietly shelved by the new government, which is unlikely to happen.

They could though. Seems like the mood in the country is leaning to the Remain camp now that the "damage" is being directly seen.

Why couldn't the government say "No" ? It's not like people would riot in the streets. Most of the Leave supporters are too old or too uneducated to understand or have the power to do anything anyway.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Decebal posted:

They could though. Seems like the mood in the country is leaning to the Remain camp now that the "damage" is being directly seen.

Why couldn't the government say "No" ? It's not like people would riot in the streets. Most of the Leave supporters are too old or too uneducated to understand or have the power to do anything anyway.

it would cause the entire country to become completely ungovernable, completely ruin the little authority the government still has and gently caress knows what side the police and army would take

it would not be a good move

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

opus111 posted:

Also, with the EU talking to her and other Scottish parliamentarians, it's unlikely they'll go for it. They've got Britain's balls in a vice in regards to a new independence referendum and the EU will likely treat them favorably if the Scots decide to crush them. They have nothing really to gain if they decide to veto Brexit.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Decebal posted:

Leave supporters just demonstrated that they do indeed have the power to do something.

The UK is a strong country because it has a robust legal system, a stable government (despite what people think), an open democracy (just demonstrated) and a currency that can take a.. pounding. This is ancient legal infrastructure that has withstood actual, proper disasters. For a government to not respect all of that by being seen to go off and do its own thing despite the will of the people would cause damage far more profound and long-standing than the city losing its financial services EU passport.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Decebal posted:

The thing with the Scottish position and the whole idea of a 2nd Scottish referendum is that it assumes that if Scotland left the UK that they would be welcomed into the EU with open arms.

Like, I can see the Scottish liking the idea of 'let's get out of the UK and replace all the support the rest of the UK gives us with support from the EU' but is it an appealing idea for the rest of the EU in any way which isn't just 'gently caress you England'? Not so much.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Decebal posted:

Since people keep repeating this meme, more Remain voters are revising their opinions than Leave voters according to the ComRes survey published last night.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Wrecked Angle posted:

The thing with the Scottish position and the whole idea of a 2nd Scottish referendum is that it assumes that if Scotland left the UK that they would be welcomed into the EU with open arms.

Like, I can see the Scottish liking the idea of 'let's get out of the UK and replace all the support the rest of the UK gives us with support from the EU' but is it an appealing idea for the rest of the EU in any way which isn't just 'gently caress you England'? Not so much.

The biggest thing an independent Scotland would gain is control of the North Sea mineral and fishing rights.

Zohar posted:

Since people keep repeating this meme, more Remain voters are revising their opinions than Leave voters according to the ComRes survey published last night.

Could you post a link to this, because it doesn't show on the ComRes website or their twitter feed?

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 26, 2016

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Zohar posted:

:confused:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
We had a vote in Sweden to get rid of nuclear power long ago but the politicians basically said "uhh no that's stupid" and vetoed it away

I hope someone vetoes this retarded poo poo away also

Plus there should be like a margin on votes. 52% vs 48% shouldn't go through, should have to be like at least 10% more than the other side :mad:

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gianthogweed posted:

I'm not a leave supporter (I live in the US so my opinion doesn't matter anyway), but the meltdown in D&D is glorious. They're saying stuff like: "Old people should not be allowed to vote" "there should be tests you have to pass in order to vote" "I wish stupid white people would just stop voting, maybe they should only count as 3/5ths of a vote" "The working class needs to stop being racist fuckwits and return to the more tolerant left". :roflolmao:

In other news, The House of Commons was talking about having a revote after the GBP dive. All I could think of was this

https://youtu.be/WPZn4rbiB8g

D&D is SA's pit for that new feminist left that wants to sanitize language and create a dumb gay privilege hierarchy that only makes sense if you're a retard American whose only frame of reference is the Atlantic slave trade.

The working class across Europe is abandoning the left precisely because of the leftist trash D&D is infested with.

Suppressing the victimization of people sexually assaulted by migrants is literally their recent track record an isn't an isolated case, it is how they operate.

Pretty much from the politicians choosing not to identify any religious or cultural features that lead to undesirable traits to the leftist press choosing to not publish or only publishing days after it breaks as an international story, to the mods of various subreddits banning comments/users for mentioning the religious affiliations of mass murderers; the ideology of this new feminism is clearly and consistently, just, retarded.

But as with any discussion outside of the Internet it's against the rules to raise any criticism of anything that has feminism in the title, so irl these people are insulated from having their ideas challenged so they are going to be retarded for a really long time.

Sethex fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 26, 2016

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Let's have a ten page derail discussing who can claim the title of real leftism and who's a bigot in leftist clothing. I love that poo poo

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Zzulu posted:

Plus there should be like a margin on votes. 52% vs 48% shouldn't go through, should have to be like at least 10% more than the other side :mad:

If public opinion had that much of a preference either way then you probably wouldn't need a referendum to work out what it was.

Also, referendum results already aren't automatically implemented. If the government thought they could in any way survive ignoring 52% of the population they probably would have.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
let 52% of England leave EU and let the 48% stay

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Wrecked Angle posted:

If public opinion had that much of a preference either way then you probably wouldn't need a referendum to work out what it was.

Also, referendum results already aren't automatically implemented. If the government thought they could in any way survive ignoring 52% of the population they probably would have.

considering one of the leaders of the Leave campaign declared that a "52-48 vote would be unfinished business" before the vote, their side should be fine with a second referendum just to be sure there's no unfinished business left.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Sethex posted:

D&D is SA's pit for that new feminist left that wants to sanitize language and create a dumb gay privilege hierarchy that only makes sense if you're a retard American whose only frame of reference is the Atlantic slave trade.

The working class across Europe is abandoning the left precisely because of the leftist trash D&D is infested with.

Suppressing the victimization of people sexually assaulted by migrants is literally how the left operates.

But as with any discussion outside of the Internet it's against the rules to raise any criticism of anything that has feminism in the title, so irl these people are insulated from having their ideas challenged so they are going to be retarded for a really long time.

The ultimate lol is that people who back in 2008 said that the city should burn and all bankers should be hanged in the street are now making GBS threads themselves that the city is at the risk of losing a ton of jobs and business.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Earwicker posted:

considering one of the leaders of the Leave campaign declared that a "52-48 vote would be unfinished business" before the vote, their side should be fine with a second referendum just to be sure there's no unfinished business left.

but that didn't happen, so it doesn't matter. One of the things about democracy is that not everyone will always agree with its results.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
as evidenced by these results, democracy doesn't work and should be destroyed

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Earwicker posted:

Indeed and I'm quite surprised that I haven't seen any of the major remain campaigners pushing for exactly that.

The problem is that if you admit that the population is roughly 50/50 split then you piss off half the population no matter what. The only way I could see out of that would be if the EU would appease the leave side by offering further renegotiation and concessions, but they won't so here we are.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

opus111 posted:

The ultimate lol is that people who back in 2008 said that the city should burn and all bankers should be hanged in the street are now making GBS threads themselves that the city is at the risk of losing a ton of jobs and business.

That's not that funny really. That's probably them just getting older/more educated and realizing that globalization/robust financial services/free trade agreements are unironically good, in that they are far better than any other alternatives.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Wrecked Angle posted:

How much could a country the size of South Carolina really offer to the EU?

e: And the population of the Atlanta metro area.... Lol

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 26, 2016

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
So I saw this thing from the Guardian, is it a fair assessment of how the Tories have totally hosed themselves?

At least we've found ourselves in similar shitboats... :911:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

How much could a country the size of South Carolina really offer to the EU?

Also the biggest elephant in the room is even if they adopted the euro to solve the currency problem, a independent scotland would deal with other problems such as sovereign debt.

The price of oil is still depressed with many north sea wells getting shut down.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

emoji posted:

That's not that funny really. That's probably them just getting older/more educated and realizing that globalization/robust financial services/free trade agreements are unironically good, in that they are far better than any other alternatives.

lookee here boys, looks like we got our selves a neo-liberal.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

emoji posted:

I guess. The other aspect is all the topsy turvey political bedfellows being made which has been bizarre to watch.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Man Whore posted:

lookee here boys, looks like we got our selves a neo-liberal.

those guys still exist after 2008? fuuuck

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

Sethex posted:

Suppressing the victimization of people sexually assaulted by migrants is literally their recent track record an isn't an isolated case, it is how they operate.

Pretty much from the politicians choosing not to identify any religious or cultural features that lead to undesirable traits to the leftist press choosing to not publish or only publishing days after it breaks as an international story, to the mods of various subreddits banning comments/users for mentioning the religious affiliations of mass murderers; the ideology of this new feminism is clearly and consistently, just, retarded.

You should post more.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Are there any beheadings scheduled?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
is it fair to say that the brexit was a huge own-goal in footballer terms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

it would cause the entire country to become completely ungovernable, completely ruin the little authority the government still has and gently caress knows what side the police and army would take

it would not be a good move

nothing would happen mate

• Locked thread