Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

mem posted:

I'm a long haul trucker and my iPhone is giving up the ghost, thinking of picking up a S7 active in a few days when I head home. Is there a decent dummy's guide for making the switch? I've never used android. I use a couple apps for work (scanning bills of lading and the like), which I know are available on both so I can just redownload them. Is there an easy way to get my contacts switched over? The only other thing I use the phone for is web browsing or YouTube which I assume an android would be good at since its googles os.

Also, anything to be wary off with the S7 active? It seems Samsung makes decent phones.

Can't answer the iPhone related questions but I picked up my S7 active on the 15th and I'm loving it.

If you get one, do get the tempered glass shield, do get a (actually get multiple I keep one at my desk at work, one at my desk at home and one on my night stand) Qi Fast charger (recommend Aliexpress it will take forever to come but cost a fraction of what you'd pay at the store) get a Qi charging car cradle (really rocks to be able to slip it into the cradle and not have to worry about connecting a USB cable to it. and pick up that 200gb scandisk SD Card and do a search on enabling adoptive storage on an Galaxy S7 (same instructions worked fine for me).

For what it's worth I ended up with the Camo model (they were out of the Titanium and my wife was getting the Sandy gold one and I didn't want to wait) and the it's no where near as obnoxious in person as it is in the pictures online. The camo pattern is pixellated so it looks more like a Minecraft creeper than military gear.

In case I didn't emphasize the advantage of the wireless charging enough, I've been using it since my old Nokia 920 and it's one of the coolest things that have come out in cell phone technology in a long time. The convenience is just amazing and after you have it you'll never want a phone that lacks it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Hello I am an idiot. I own a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini. Today it ran out of battery. I charged it inside the car and needed to use it for google maps. It blacked out again while I was navigating, even while on the car charger, gently caress me. It stayed blacked out and did not go to the screen with the little charging battery animation. I worried. I tried to start it back up again, phone was dead and I was lost. At this point I admit I hit the phone against my leg a couple times in anger because that will definitely fix it. Phone still dead on the car charger with no "charging" screen.

I pull off to the side of the road and wait, I stop frantically pressing the power button and begging the phone to stop being dead.

Eventually, through no action on my part, the green battery charging animation comes on screen. I am elated. I let the phone charge a bit then make my way home safely and put it on the charger. It charges fine in the car on the way home.

While on the charger at home it starts making the charger connected/charger disconnected sound while on the freaking charger. While plugged in and connected to the charger it stops showing the lightning bolt in the battery icon that signifies its charging.

Touchscreen is now "Sticky" and Holding Down Keys.
Phone is now lagging sometimes.

This is very new, I appear to have broken my phone. I'm pretty sure if I take it to a phone repair place they will just scam me and my phone will still be broken.

What should I do?

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

LG G3
Samsung Pro 32gb card (says HC 1 or some poo poo?)

Motherfucking cocksucker constantly automatically moves apps in external storage to internal. Likely when updating. The camera also randomly decides to switch to internal for saving photos and has to be manually switched back every 5 seconds.

Is there any end to this polesmokery? Was happening with 5.0. But the process of manually moving apps back has been complicated by more button presses with 6.0.

Is my phone the piece of poo poo? Or is it my SD card (that's maybe a generation or two old now)? Do they both suck dicks?

This is annoying and makes the external storage essentially useless. I'd even download an app moving app!

Thanks in advance! :)

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 24, 2016

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Jenner posted:

Hello I am an idiot. I own a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini. Today it ran out of battery. I charged it inside the car and needed to use it for google maps. It blacked out again while I was navigating, even while on the car charger, gently caress me. It stayed blacked out and did not go to the screen with the little charging battery animation. I worried. I tried to start it back up again, phone was dead and I was lost. At this point I admit I hit the phone against my leg a couple times in anger because that will definitely fix it. Phone still dead on the car charger with no "charging" screen.

I pull off to the side of the road and wait, I stop frantically pressing the power button and begging the phone to stop being dead.

Eventually, through no action on my part, the green battery charging animation comes on screen. I am elated. I let the phone charge a bit then make my way home safely and put it on the charger. It charges fine in the car on the way home.

While on the charger at home it starts making the charger connected/charger disconnected sound while on the freaking charger. While plugged in and connected to the charger it stops showing the lightning bolt in the battery icon that signifies its charging.

This is very new, I appear to have broken my phone. I'm pretty sure if I take it to a phone repair place they will just scam me and my phone will still be broken.

What should I do?

I doubt a good place will scam you, but it absolutely isn't worth whatever it would cost to fix it. Your phone is old and poo poo, time for a new one :)

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

fyallm posted:

The glow would be fine, could you maybe ask her what it is called?

Apparently they're found on Amazon as tempered glass privacy screen protectors.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Jenner posted:

What should I do?

Get a new phone.

Next time remember that when a phone battery dies it can actually harm the battery when you try to repeatedly turn the phone on without charging it.

Also if your car charger is only providing 500mA it won't charge the phone and provide gps and keep the screen on at the same time.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

It's time to put it out to pasture. (Says the guy who regularly posts updates on what had broken on his N5 this week.)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Also put your loving phone down while driving.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
So no one really answered that I saw earlier when I asked, and I'm not seeing much when Googling, but is it normal for the S7 to get warm easily?

I mean, it'll get fairly warm when fast charging using the wireless dock thing. When I did the system update last weekend it got downright hot.

But in normal use, I can even tell a temperature change coming off the phone when I use it for any given amount of time. I felt heat coming off the back and screen when watching a 3 minute YouTube video on wifi, checked CPU-Z and every thermal sensor was at 45c minimum. I seem to never see the sensors below 35c.

This is my first Galaxy phone, and I'm not sure if this is normal or if the phone isn't cooling properly and I should make a trip back to the store this weekend. It was just rare that I ever noticed my previous iPhones ever get warm at all, and it was always when I was playing games or switching apps and watching videos that of course it'd be warm.

:shrug:

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
In my experience, AMOLED screens put out a noticeable amount of heat when displaying brighter images, so that could be part of it.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
My S3 used to get hot af pretty much any time I did anything vaguely demanding with it. When you're streaming a video, your wireless is working hard, your screen's on constantly, and your CPU is working constantly decoding it. All that heat's got to go somewhere, and it's not like a phone has fans and vents to direct it all out in of place.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone else with a 2014 Moto X have problems with Android's down time not triggering? I have Moto Assist set to just prevent the screen from turning on during the same period, but the stock down time is supposed to take care of sounds and vibrations. However, down time doesn't start automatically. I have to remember to tap the volume down button, then tell my phone to go into priority mode until my down time ends.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Jenner posted:

Hello I am an idiot. I own a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini. Today it ran out of battery. I charged it inside the car and needed to use it for google maps. It blacked out again while I was navigating, even while on the car charger, gently caress me.

The last time this happened to me my flashlight was toggled on under my cases lens cap. That was dumb on my part, something for you all to keep in mind and save you a few hours of wondering.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Zom Aur posted:

Oh sorry, i forget that the style and pure are actually different in that regard. Yeah, the style has the June update at least.

My Style is still on November 15 without any OTAs available.

And theres seems to be a 6.0.1. update floating around poland. So i guess its not long off.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Also put your loving phone down while driving.

I do. I have a graspy thingy in the cup holder. I pulled off to the side of the road immediately.

But drat it, I don't want to spend like $500 on a new phone. :sigh: I don't think I'm due another upgrade for a year or so.

Goons are probably right, it's probably time to replace this old mess but newer phones are so drat huge. That's why I bought the Mini in the first place.

Oh well. Thanks.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Jenner posted:

I do. I have a graspy thingy in the cup holder. I pulled off to the side of the road immediately.

But drat it, I don't want to spend like $500 on a new phone. :sigh: I don't think I'm due another upgrade for a year or so.

Goons are probably right, it's probably time to replace this old mess but newer phones are so drat huge. That's why I bought the Mini in the first place.

Oh well. Thanks.

A 2015 Moto E will be marginally better than your old phone and will cost somewhere between $10 and $30. A Nexus 5X will be something like $200-250 and way way waaaaay better. A Moto X Pure is $200-300 and also way way waaaaay better. Last year's LG G or Galaxy S models should be down to $300-400, if for some reason you want to spend more for worse. You don't have to spend $500 on a phone, and I don't even want to know what you ended up paying for your S4 Mini.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Desk Lamp posted:

Apparently they're found on Amazon as tempered glass privacy screen protectors.

:( The only one's I am seeing are the one's that have adhesive

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Jenner posted:

Oh well. Thanks.

Swappa.com. Find a nexus 5, 6, or 5x. Go hog wild!

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Shai-Hulud posted:

My Style is still on November 15 without any OTAs available.

And theres seems to be a 6.0.1. update floating around poland. So i guess its not long off.

Might be some carrier fuckery then. Or just android fuckery. You should at least have gotten the february update by now.

And yeah, there's been rumors about 6.0.1 since before march. That particular rumor is from around then. There's also another rumor about it being rolled out in south america. Both haven't actually turned out to be anything substantial yet as far as i know. Given the time frame, I'd think it'd have been rolled out by now if it were true.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Zom Aur posted:

Might be some carrier fuckery then. Or just android fuckery. You should at least have gotten the february update by now.

And yeah, there's been rumors about 6.0.1 since before march. That particular rumor is from around then. There's also another rumor about it being rolled out in south america. Both haven't actually turned out to be anything substantial yet as far as i know. Given the time frame, I'd think it'd have been rolled out by now if it were true.

Maybe its a country thing. I'm in Germany. Can carriers even gently caress with that on an unlocked phone bought from the manufacturer? I mean, it looks like they can do it with nexus phones in the US, but what about civilized countries?

Edit: I just checked and my first gen Moto G is on the march security update. This is kind of annoying

Shai-Hulud fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 24, 2016

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Shai-Hulud posted:

Maybe its a country thing. I'm in Germany. Can carriers even gently caress with that on an unlocked phone bought from the manufacturer? I mean, it looks like they can do it with nexus phones in the US, but what about civilized countries?

Edit: I just checked and my first gen Moto G is on the march security update. This is kind of annoying

Supposedly they can, but according to this thread it should be as easy as just removing the sim and restarting the phone. I really don't know though

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone know of a good case for the LG Stylo 2? My mother picked it up yesterday for Boost.

What about a screen protector as she'll be tossing it in her purse a lot.

Thanks!

Edit: She's dropped her old phone tons of times. :v:

I'm currently looking into the Incipio case for it though...not sure.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

e: well nevermind then

My old android was using an eight year old operating system. Marshmallow is new to me. I didn't know where they put the system options and I didn't know you could swipe down.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 25, 2016

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
HAhaahhaha

The Android Thread - I'm looking for the option to change my ringtone

e: after 2 seconds later: Double swipe down to the quick-toggle settings page, then press the cogwheel for the main Settings menu in the top-right corner. Then press the Sound & notification option, then press Phone ringtone and pick one. Try that.

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 25, 2016

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
AT&T finally pushed Marshmallow to the Note 5. Only 4 months behind everyone else!

Marshmallows killing my battery, anything I should look at first?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

FAUXTON posted:

Sounds like you should get a new phone from your local Verizon® Wireless √™ Authorized Retailer.

Tech told me to bring in the charger to a local store.

Arrived at store. They said they'd test the charger. They let me wander around the store looking at other phones and accessories. I tried an S7 Edge and thought it was a slick device but was glad I went with the DT2 since the Samsung pulldown/toggles would drive me crazy. Also tried out an Iphone and I was really confused and couldn't figure anything out. No techs or salespeople bothered me at all.

Little bit later, they informed me that the charger was toast. Gave me a new quick charger that works, no fee. 10/10 would Verizon® Wireless √™ again.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

Also tried out an Iphone and I was really confused and couldn't figure anything out.

I know this is the Android thread but what exactly couldn't you figure out about an iPhone? It's pretty much a launcher with app icons and one button, it's pretty straightforward.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

I know this is the Android thread but what exactly couldn't you figure out about an iPhone? It's pretty much a launcher with app icons and one button, it's pretty straightforward.

Probably couldn't figure out how to get the bluetooth to only be active on odd numbered hours.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

sleepwalkers posted:

How do you text people with only one messaging app? I'm barely hanging in here with 2 and a third on the horizon.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

sleepwalkers posted:

I wasn't sure if I was in the right settings area. Having a pull-up was pretty cool. Wasn't used to having the one button. Didn't like the walls of apps.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

AT&T finally pushed Marshmallow to the Note 5. Only 4 months behind everyone else!

Marshmallows killing my battery, anything I should look at first?

I'd take a look at a Nexus 6P, should solve your issues.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

I'll be honest, I've only used iOS sparingly but I've never tried to do something on an iPad and successfully accomplished the task on a first try. When my parents need help with something on their iPad I almost always have to Google the answer.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I do have to kind of quizzically approach iOS when my family has issues, but usually the function is very discoverable. I have a lot of respect for Apple's design.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I do have to kind of quizzically approach iOS when my family has issues, but usually the function is very discoverable. I have a lot of respect for Apple's design.

I don't mind a lot of their choices, but every single time I need to find things in iOS's broken settings system I remember why I don't own an iPhone.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Just received a used MXPE from Swappa and I'm pretty impressed. It's like my Nexus 6 and Droid Maxx had a baby.

I do miss my wireless charging though.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 26, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

iajanus posted:

I don't mind a lot of their choices, but every single time I need to find things in iOS's broken settings system I remember why I don't own an iPhone.

This is pretty accurate. The settings app is a nightmare.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Hey tech goons, I've been having a problem with my Galaxy S6 and was wondering if anyone could point dumb old me at a solution.

My phone's having issues charging. When I first plug it in, it'll be fine. After a while, however, there'll be a chime and a black screen will come up with a cross in the corner, like some kind of app window. It'll show for a second, and then disappear and the phone will no longer recognize being plugged in. This is kind of a pain in the rear end.

After some troubleshooting, I figured that my phone is getting hot as hell and some safety feature was kicking in to stop it exploding. But the phone charges when turned off, and I tried this morning when it was a bit cooler and the same happened again, so maybe some app is interfering? My port also appears to look "pushed in" at the bottom, but a connection is still being made so I'm not too worried about this (unless this is cause for alarm/repair).

Any ideas? Help would be appreciated.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

What phone is it?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S6, on the latest Android. Not sure on the details. I've uninstalled a bunch of apps, so I'll see later if one of them was the cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

The Deleter posted:

My port also appears to look "pushed in" at the bottom, but a connection is still being made so I'm not too worried about this (unless this is cause for alarm/repair).

I'm no scientist, but it seems like that's likely to be the source of your issue. My assumption would be there's something faulty there generating a ton of heat.