Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
There's a friend of mine who has a law degree and he's fascinated by the American legal system (we're Australian). I told him about sov cits and his ears perked up when I told him how they think the police can't arrest you if you say you don't wish to create joinder. He started googling them and now he's hooked! You made a new fan, thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Starshark posted:

There's a friend of mine who has a law degree and he's fascinated by the American legal system (we're Australian). I told him about sov cits and his ears perked up when I told him how they think the police can't arrest you if you say you don't wish to create joinder. He started googling them and now he's hooked! You made a new fan, thread.
You do have them down there, just not as many.

When checking up on the currentbstw of Micronations I cam across a novel from the 70s titled The Girl Who Owned a City. Basically sounds like post-apocalyptic Ayn Rand jerkoff material, only the protagonist is a 12 year old girl. Somebody do a trip report.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

There's definitely an Aus sovcit in those Youtube compilations. I think he drives away from a random DWI stop. It ends badly for him.

VVV Ha. I just rewatched it. I love at how surprised sovcits get when police had had enough of their poo poo. I love the nice guy who pulled over the trucker and really gave him all sorts of chances.

RoyKeen has issued a correction as of 21:18 on Jun 24, 2016

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

The Ape of Naples posted:

There's definitely an Aus sovcit in those Youtube compilations. I think he drives away from a random DWI stop. It ends badly for him.

This is thuggery!!

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

Casimir Radon posted:

When checking up on the currentbstw of Micronations I cam across a novel from the 70s titled The Girl Who Owned a City. Basically sounds like post-apocalyptic Ayn Rand jerkoff material, only the protagonist is a 12 year old girl. Somebody do a trip report.

That book was assigned reading in my elementary school, and possibly many others. I didn't consciously pick up any of the propaganda when I was a kid and thought it was just a cool book about kids post apocalypse. I re-read it recently and it was so blatant, like:

"Sharing is actually really bad", said protagonist girl, strongly. "Private property is good, and cool." The children applauded.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

The Ape of Naples posted:

VVV Ha. I just rewatched it. I love at how surprised sovcits get when police had had enough of their poo poo. I love the nice guy who pulled over the trucker and really gave him all sorts of chances.

I just watched it on this compilation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUgmc7kKqOI

Holy cats I haven't laughed that hard in awhile.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Starshark posted:

I just watched it on this compilation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUgmc7kKqOI

So wait I know I threw it in a joke name 50 pages ago, but do these people still go by the Articles for whatever reason? Christ.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Starshark posted:

The shrieking woman and the guy forgetting his patter were new ones to me and some of the best I've ever seen.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Plan Z posted:

So wait I know I threw it in a joke name 50 pages ago, but do these people still go by the Articles for whatever reason? Christ.

The Articles of Confederation are nothing, I knew a Sovereign Citizen who once quoted the Magna Carta as the reason he didn't have to register his car.

Your Gay Uncle has issued a correction as of 13:22 on Jun 25, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I don't think anything will ever top Officer Cochran's one man window ripping out band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCozh_vbYdM

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013

Casimir Radon posted:

Oh god I read that when I was way younger. IIRC at one point she actually has all her power taken from her because she refuses to share the knowledge of where she gets all the food with people, and is kind of an rear end in a top hat. So some kids with guns kick her out and it's implied they try to set up a democracy, which is clearly an inefficient mode of government.

I don't really remember too much about it apart from the conceit of the novel being based around "A virus that kills everyone older than like, 13"

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Epic High Five posted:

I don't think anything will ever top Officer Cochran's one man window ripping out band

Always amazes me how much these dumb fuckers will do to change a simple warning into a full arrest because they're full of poo poo and aren't afraid to pop an attitude

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

sovcit own compilations are doubly good because they showcase both the idiots who believe that nonsense and the cops who will almost immediately flip the Brutality switch upon being mildly inconvenienced

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Homework Explainer posted:

sovcit own compilations are doubly good because they showcase both the idiots who believe that nonsense and the cops who will almost immediately flip the Brutality switch upon being mildly inconvenienced
Uh, every cop in any of these videos is always more than patient no matter how retarded the sovcit.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Yeah, counting to three before getting your window smashed is pretty dumb and I thought that cop was (or immigration deputy or whatever-the-gently caress) was being reasonable. The courthouse where the guy got tazed seems a little excessive to me, that said I don't know what I'd do if some guy said he was coming through when he's not allowed through.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I love sovcit videos but the one where a dude's got his kid in the car breaks my heart. Kids don't deserve to deal with this poo poo.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
I think American cops are pretty excessive with sovcits after they killed some cops during routine stops (I remember a police training vid being posted where a sovcit with an automatic rifle just guns down a cop at a traffic stop). I think if they hear the sovcit "magic words" then it triggers a warning that the person they're dealing with is very unpredictable, and they should get them dealt with safely asap (I think that's why as soon as the people in the videos mention sovcit bullshit the first thing all the cops do is get right on the radio for backup).

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

If they were doing it consciously, there would be something almost noble about ceding the privilege of friendly and courteous interactions with the police afforded by being a white dude.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

ForeverBWFC posted:

I think American cops are pretty excessive with sovcits after they killed some cops during routine stops (I remember a police training vid being posted where a sovcit with an automatic rifle just guns down a cop at a traffic stop). I think if they hear the sovcit "magic words" then it triggers a warning that the person they're dealing with is very unpredictable, and they should get them dealt with safely asap (I think that's why as soon as the people in the videos mention sovcit bullshit the first thing all the cops do is get right on the radio for backup).

Speaking as a law enforcement officer, you are correct - there is training about what sovereign citizens are and how to recognize them. And most of what I have been exposed to is that when you encounter one you resort immediately to your basic tactics: maintaining a position of advantage, emphasizing awareness of cover if needed, bringing in additional resources, etc. I would disagree with that being excessive though. As soon as someone starts spouting off sovereign citizen nonsense they are telegraphing that they are more likely than some other random person to be a problem, and when someone does that it is your basic responsibility to put yourself in a position to deal with those problems. It's really not any different than someone starting a contact by saying "gently caress you cocksucker." They both mean the same thing: I don't recognize your authority, and I'm not going to cooperate. Those are the basic ingredients that lead to an assault on an officer.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kazak_Hstan posted:

bringing in additional resources, etc.
I think this explains a lot of the officer's patience. They realize that someone they pulled over is a sovcit and uncooperative (at best) they're going to buy some time until and be patient until backup arrives.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Isn't their a high correlation between sovcittery and shooting cops?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
There have been some notable shootings but I wouldn't go that far. Like pretty much any group, the vast majority of them are not inclined to commit murder. they're probably more likely than the population at large to kill police, but I'm not sure they're more likely than than the general population of 'pissed off people with guns' to kill police.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The difficulty comes from the fact that sovcits are less predictable than other populations, as much as that they're more dangerous. Several of the sovcit cop shootings were especially frightening because the perpetrators actively sought out police, and killed them with very little warning. JJ MacNab has video of the infamous one partially caught on dashcam- I'd link it if I were on a better computer. The folks at the end of the bell curve are basically domestic terrorists, and although they tend to get killed quickly, they often take at least some law enforcers with them.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
More likely than the general population to take over bird sanctuaries.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
The video people are probably talking about is the West Memphis 2010 Shooting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg38O2Dm7RQ&t=422s

You can barely see Joe Kane get out of the passenger seat and open fire. This isn't some faces of death poo poo because you don't actually see the officers getting shot and there's probably a grand total of 5 seconds where you see the officers on the ground. Still, :nms:.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Discendo Vox posted:

The difficulty comes from the fact that sovcits are less predictable than other populations, as much as that they're more dangerous. Several of the sovcit cop shootings were especially frightening because the perpetrators actively sought out police, and killed them with very little warning. JJ MacNab has video of the infamous one partially caught on dashcam- I'd link it if I were on a better computer. The folks at the end of the bell curve are basically domestic terrorists, and although they tend to get killed quickly, they often take at least some law enforcers with them.

The biggest problem comes from the fact that sovcits don't recognize the government as legitimate and police are agents of said government. If they weren't a bunch of stupid white guys they'd probably be labeled terrorists by now. Dealing with a police officer is in their minds dealing with an agent of tyranny that must be fought. Most of them are at least smart or moral enough to not commit murder but it's easy to leap from what they believe to cop killing. I really can't fault police for going into survival mode, getting backup, and dealing with a threat with these guys.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The biggest problem comes from the fact that sovcits don't recognize the government as legitimate and police are agents of said government. If they weren't a bunch of stupid white guys they'd probably be labeled terrorists by now. Dealing with a police officer is in their minds dealing with an agent of tyranny that must be fought. Most of them are at least smart or moral enough to not commit murder but it's easy to leap from what they believe to cop killing. I really can't fault police for going into survival mode, getting backup, and dealing with a threat with these guys.

The department of homeland security and the FBI label sovcits as domestic terrorists.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Homework Explainer posted:

I dunno, after repeatedly asking a simple question and getting nothing but a rolled up window I'd bust that fucker out and detain whether there was joinder or not. There's enough real bullshit cops have to deal with as is without these fucks waving around a pocket constitution and trying to find the cheat code to enable godmode.

Rick_Hunter posted:

The video people are probably talking about is the West Memphis 2010 Shooting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg38O2Dm7RQ&t=422s

You can barely see Joe Kane get out of the passenger seat and open fire. This isn't some faces of death poo poo because you don't actually see the officers getting shot and there's probably a grand total of 5 seconds where you see the officers on the ground. Still, :nms:.

What really pisses me off more than the shooting is the next video linked where some fucker tries to prove it was all a false flag through the same shoddy evidence and made up facts that all false flag conspiracies use

SocketWrench has issued a correction as of 17:26 on Jun 26, 2016

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm always reminded of this whenever sovcit videos pop up

https://youtu.be/1pBougV1JK4

red19fire
May 26, 2010

SocketWrench posted:

I dunno, after repeatedly asking a simple question and getting nothing but a rolled up window I'd bust that fucker out and detain whether there was joinder or not. There's enough real bullshit cops have to deal with as is without these fucks waving around a pocket constitution and trying to find the cheat code to enable godmode.

Yeah but they do not consent to you busting up their window so there's nothing you can do and you must let them go :smug:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

The department of homeland security and the FBI label sovcits as domestic terrorists.

Oh do they? I'm surprised but happy about that.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm always reminded of this whenever sovcit videos pop up

https://youtu.be/1pBougV1JK4

I was thinking of another Bob and David sketch from way back when myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKPjp77fLIA&t=784s

It's hilarious that David Cross can just get these right, no matter how many decades apart it is.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Oh do they? I'm surprised but happy about that.

And RWM went in to full freak out mode about Obama targeting hardworking Americans that simply disagree with his policies as opposed to the real terrorists.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

citybeatnik posted:

And RWM went in to full freak out mode about Obama targeting hardworking Americans that simply disagree with his policies as opposed to the real terrorists.

As to be expected whenever anybody questions angry conservative white people or their righteous guns. Or President Obama sneezes.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Geostomp posted:

As to be expected whenever anybody questions angry conservative white people or their righteous guns. Or President Obama sneezes.

Obama did something today. GOP leaders met to deliberate immediately after on why it was wrong.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Epic High Five posted:

haha, Officer Cochran does not gently caress around

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hotboxing your car with a young child in it, what wonderful parents. These types like to act like CPS is the devil but they're pretty powerless even in obvious cases like this.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

citybeatnik posted:

Always a fun read to remind people just how loving crazy republicans are.

https://www.wired.com/2012/08/dhs/

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
Yeah tazing someone who's resisting peacefully isn't kosher, regardless of how much weed they've smoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Some libertarian idiots tried to build a toll road in Puntland. Didn't get real far, caused a riot.

This sounds amazing. Can I get a link? I haven't been able to find any articles about it.