Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

thathonkey posted:

is it fair to say that the brexit was a huge own-goal in footballer terms?

I'm still confused why David Cameron even put the vote on the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

thathonkey posted:

is it fair to say that the brexit was a huge own-goal in footballer terms?

its more like if the UK shaolin soccer'd the ball through the goal, through the net, and beheaded a EU banker torturing a greek child

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Man Whore posted:

lookee here boys, looks like we got our selves a neo-liberal.

The people who'd want to put me against the wall or in a 'tine would have to build one first and get organized, and that would require them to temporarily log off and leave the house so I'm not too worried.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Archer666 posted:

David Cameron: ultimate schemer.
The problem with that image, quite aside from it being desperate logic, is that it presupposes the referendum was irrelevant in the first place, that only one result would be accepted. If that actually were the case then it's saying that democratic process and results - with all its misguided, illogical, unintelligent forms - are just window dressing. The general public are dumb (and often racist) but both sides ran their campaigns horrifically. Osborne in particular - who is now off the grid - probably contributed to half the populist Leave vote with his threat of a "punishment budget".

More critically it requires that Cameron isn't a self serving oval office who just wants to get on the lucrative after dinner speaker circuit ASAP. He would've had to have gone with this result regardless.

We have to lie in this bed now, lest we forgo democracy completely.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Lichy posted:

nothing would happen mate

at the very least it would cause a large and openly fascist movement to start and would encourage similar parties in France and Germany who are already pressuring their governments for a referendum. Also using a questionably legal technique to overrule a democratic decision wouldn't do much to reverse the damage done to the economy, people would still be looking for the exit.

etalian posted:

I'm still confused why David Cameron even put the vote on the table.

the tory party has a bunch of crazy backbenchers for whom Brexit was 100% of their reason for getting up in the morning. Cameron is a slick neoliberal type conservative who likes the EU for business reasons. He threw them a bone hoping it would shut them up because he assumed he'd only get into government again in a coalition, and their coalition partner would torpedo the referendum. Unfortunately he won the last election because labour were running some kind of experimental politics mutant against him, but he didn't win by enough that he'd be able to tell his backbenchers to just gently caress off. He called the referendum, hosed up the campaign and the rest is happening.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

the tory party has a bunch of crazy backbenchers for whom Brexit was 100% of their reason for getting up in the morning. Cameron is a slick neoliberal type conservative who likes the EU for business reasons. He threw them a bone hoping it would shut them up because he assumed he'd only get into government again in a coalition, and their coalition partner would torpedo the referendum. Unfortunately he won the last election because labour were running some kind of experimental politics mutant against him, but he didn't win by enough that he'd be able to tell his backbenchers to just gently caress off. He called the referendum, hosed up the campaign and the rest is happening.

So he pushed the option since it had a unlikely chance in his mind of a leave vote winning and got burned as a result.

Also for news from the center, looks the shadow cabinet had a mass resignation this morning:
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2016/jun/26/brexit-live-jeremy-corbyn-sacks-hilary-benn-tory-leadership

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

You've pretty much nailed what happened, really, for anyone unfamiliar with how we got here.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
I wish Corbyn would just do the decent thing and gently caress off

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

itt shills who clamor for more Tony Blairs in politics.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Crewmine posted:

I wish Corbyn would just do the decent thing and gently caress off

Even if he resigned, who would replace him? Benn has ruled himself out, and nobody else springs to mind.

tminz
Jul 1, 2004

Durzel posted:

We have to lie in this bed now, lest we forgo democracy completely.

Yes and I think that's the point it's making. Following through with it will mean political and economic suicide but so will all the other options. All roads lead to the same final destination.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Plucky Brit posted:

Even if he resigned, who would replace him? Benn has ruled himself out, and nobody else springs to mind.

Third time's the charm for Burnham but the gormless looking bastard's not making a move

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
the labor party ran an almost-lefty and tried to slowly shame him into a neolib through public conversion therapy; it worked but noone wanted to vote for it

the entire New Labor (neoliberals) is so charismatically bankrupt that an actual leftist won their leadership contest with a crazy % of the vote (despite immense rigging)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

tminz posted:

Yes and I think that's the point it's making. Following through with it will mean political and economic suicide but so will all the other options. All roads lead to the same final destination.

If they had any brains they could just use the vote to neg the referendum.

Some shrieking euros across the channels say they want maximum punishment for leaving but other leaders such as Merkel said they should try to reform the EU to get the UK back.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I was going through a catalog of tweets and anecdotes about UK racism that's been exploding since the vote a few days ago and it's pretty drat bad there and the way things are going it's just a matter of time until we see a straight up murder

This one made me laugh though

https://twitter.com/TheBuddhaSmiled/status/746453668774481920

Rich (and globally mobile, apparently) banker parasite is aggrieved by a homeless person??? Impermissible.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

etalian posted:

itt shills who clamor for more Tony Blairs in politics.

well it's a pity that there are precisely two types of Labour politicians, slick Tony Blair types and unelectable Guardian-reader parodies, but what can you do!

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Hammerite posted:

well it's a pity that there are precisely two types of Labour politicians, slick Tony Blair types and unelectable Guardian-reader parodies, but what can you do!

guardian readers hate Corbyn

he's an actual leftist though

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Brannock posted:

I was going through a catalog of tweets and anecdotes about UK racism that's been exploding since the vote a few days ago and it's pretty drat bad there and the way things are going it's just a matter of time until we see a straight up murder

Rich (and globally mobile, apparently) banker parasite is aggrieved by a homeless person??? Impermissible.

i didn't move to britain to have one of the peasants talk back to me, how dare he

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Brannock posted:

Are you sure this tweet didn't come from SF?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

YOU STOLE MY FUTURE, GRANDPA! :arghfist::qq::respek::hitler: *is one of the 64% aged 18-24 who couldn't get their rear end off the sofa*

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Brannock posted:

hang all bankers imo

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

guardian readers hate Corbyn

he's an actual leftist though

who cares? The point is he's what small-c-conservative England thinks of as a sandal-wearing guardian-reader type, which is why he'd never get elected

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hammerite posted:

who cares? The point is he's what small-c-conservative England thinks of as a sandal-wearing guardian-reader type, which is why he'd never get elected

you mean a sandal with socks guardian reader?

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
What does it mean that the Shadow Cabinet is resigning ? Is the Government finally going to be ruled in the open instead of in the "shadows" ? ?

Are the people resigning the US version of Democrats or Republicans ???

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Decebal posted:

What does it mean that the Shadow Cabinet is resigning ? Is the Government finally going to be ruled in the open instead of in the "shadows" ? ?

Are the people resigning the US version of Democrats or Republicans ???

essentially the shadow cabinet is who the opposition plan to have as their cabinet the next time they win

so in this instance it's Labour

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

they don't do anything other than complain about what the actual cabinet is doing so them resigning has no immediate effect on anything and is just an amusing marker of how mad everyone in labour is at jeremy corbyn

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

cock hero flux posted:

they don't do anything other than complain about what the actual cabinet is doing so them resigning has no immediate effect on anything and is just an amusing marker of how mad everyone in labour is at jeremy corbyn

it sounds cool af though

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Brannock posted:

the inevitable result of political correctness - you tell people "you can't say that in public" and so they just say it in private instead. all their lovely racist thoughts go completely unchallenged for years and then something like brexit happens and it's like a valve being opened

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
The fact that Labour has decided to turn on itself, instead of attacking the conservatives who have either resigned or apparently fallen off the face of the earth is loving baffling to me. Let them resign, they'll be deselected by the labour members in no time.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

it sounds cool af though

it sounds way more badass than it has any right to since it's actually the Cabinet of Big Losers who don't get to do anything

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

etalian posted:

Are you sure this tweet didn't come from SF?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Supernorn posted:

The fact that Labour has decided to turn on itself, instead of attacking the conservatives who have either resigned or apparently fallen off the face of the earth is loving baffling to me. Let them resign, they'll be deselected by the labour members in no time.

thats what the left does best

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Dicky B posted:

the inevitable result of political correctness - you tell people "you can't say that in public" and so they just say it in private instead. all their lovely racist thoughts go completely unchallenged for years and then something like brexit happens and it's like a valve being opened

I'm sure the secretly racist homeless guy was just waiting for the politically opportune moment.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

The whole shadow cabinet system is stupid because they pretty much have to argue against any point the actual minister is making which, in the event of the minister talking sense, makes the opposition look ridiculous.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

thats what the left does best

Tbf the left managed to unite p much unanimously against neolib members. its just that there are a lot of neolib politicians who would rather never see power than let leftists retake Labour

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Supernorn posted:

it's hilarious because both parties campaigned against Leave and lost so they're now tearing themselves apart to find who to blame for this poo poo

that and corbyn was a secret leave sympathizer who fought the most lackluster remain campaign possible and is now stubbornly refusing requests from his party for his own head on a spike

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Supernorn posted:

They've been turning on themselves for months.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dicky B posted:

yes crazy homeless men never say anything racist unless the political tides have turned and we're on our way to full blown fascism

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

opus111 posted:

The whole shadow cabinet system is stupid because they pretty much have to argue against any point the actual minister is making which, in the event of the minister talking sense, makes the opposition look ridiculous.

This is the problem with a divided party system in general. Nobody cooperates on good things because they want to get credit for good thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

emoji posted:

I'm sure the secretly racist homeless guy was just waiting for the politically opportune moment.
strawman

• Locked thread