Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hahaha, holy poo poo, brits are dumber than I thought and voted to leave the EU.

The market is closed right now, but their currency is going to tank tomorrow. Good time to pick up some "sweet sweet Brexit edition hams"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Just in time to pick up a bunch of terminator shoulderpads, hopefully ursarax tomorrow, been thinking about getting some.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 24, 2016

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
maybe these dark Angels will be cheaper than I realized.....

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

Hahaha, holy poo poo, brits are dumber than I thought and voted to leave the EU.

The market is closed right now, but their currency is going to tank tomorrow. Good time to pick up some "sweet sweet Brexit edition hams"

The pound is already at a 30 year low from off hours trading. I was thinking of putting in an order at Irregular Miniatures soon and that pretty much sealed it. I've seen the Canadian dollar worth more than the pound right now.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Personally, I evaluate all political decisions based on how they effect my tiny plastic spacemen.

C'mon, Forge World, release that new legion army list so I can justify ordering some poo poo. :shepspends:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Fully expect GW to raise the prices in a few days to counterballence their dumb population, so get in while you can

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Oh my god they actually they did it. 52% of the population is dumb as a brick and already the backtracking is happening.

xe.com is overloaded right now, amazing.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I dig these little comics Forge World's been posting to promote the Praetor.

They're a nice distraction from my country collectively making GBS threads itself in a frenzy of xenophobia and spite.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Very much considering ordering the Sons of Horus dice, or the Justaerin shoulderpads.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SteelMentor posted:

I dig these little comics Forge World's been posting to promote the Praetor.

They're a nice distraction from my country collectively making GBS threads itself in a frenzy of xenophobia and spite.

Yeah, their comics have been really charming. I hope they keep using that artist.

Mango Polo posted:

Oh my god they actually they did it. 52% of the population is dumb as a brick and already the backtracking is happening.

xe.com is overloaded right now, amazing.
Yep, already made a big Forgeworld order. Guess I'm getting Guilliman sooner than I expected!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I am glad that millions of racist geriatric assholes loving over my generation and younger has resulted in cheaper hams for you lot.

:britain: :argh:

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

As minutely pleased I am at the prospect of cheaper hams, I am very sorry for what your country's been doomed to. If it makes you feel any better, our time will probably come in November!

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
What is a good way to get cheap chainswords and boltpistols if I want to convert a bunch of Calth minis to assault marines?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Ebay is my #1 stop for bits. If you are ok with going plastic recommend this seller:

http://stores.ebay.com/Blackdagger-Games?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Yeah, it's technically not heresy era but I got a big ol bag of chainswords and bolt pistols for a reasonable price off eBay. I'd suggest hitting up UK sellers at the moment, before they petition for statehood and go to the American dollar.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
Painting bad guys is heaps of fun, just got bases and some clean up and can put these down and start on the vehicles and troops.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I have an opportunity to get two Spartan tanks. I have two 20-man tactical squads. Match made in heaven, or expensive trap?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Unless you play World Eaters or something like 3000 points that's a trap.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Blood Angels, so close! :v:

BA Spartans do have some side options that most wouldn't get like twin-linked Iliastus cannons but overall, it's dubious enough that I wasn't sure about investing. Probably getting a Sicaran or two instead.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Then yeah totally a trap. The value of a Spartan is already dubious if you're not carrying some amazing super cool unit that will munch whatever it touches, but two of them for BA tacticals? Nein!

Unless you're playing in a big enough game that you can still fit other things in your list, then sure, your tacticals will actually be better protected than those in rhinos.

Speaking of blood bagels, I'm getting there.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Some really great looking blood angels

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I've just seen the new Imperial Fist RoW in book 6. :psyduck:

Any and all infantry can teleport in for 15pts, 10pts for IC. Shrouded from when they arrive till the start of their next turn. All enemy units within 12" that can draw LoS to arriving units take a blind test.

The drawbacks are that you can't take fortifications or allies and vehicles must start in reserve.

:getin:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

35 points less than equipping a praetor with the same wargear, otherwise no difference except no combi bolter. Eh?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
It's just 15 points cheaper, 35 for the tartaros, 10 for the halo, 20 for the paragon blade, 15 to master craft it, 15 for lasers.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 26, 2016

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Congratulations on your promotion brother! now hand over your sidearms.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So did any of y'all actually get that guy? I saw a use for him as a champion or delegatus or something, but I didn't like the model enough to try to grab one.

How much was the in-store cost? Looking at ebay, it's already going for about $80.00

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
I heard second hand that he was 44.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I heard $40.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hencoe posted:

It's just 15 points cheaper, 35 for the tartaros, 10 for the halo, 20 for the paragon blade, 15 to master craft it, 15 for lasers.

You missed a part:

Dude- 100
Tartaros- 35
Digital L- 15
Iron Halo- 25
Paragon- 25
Master C- 15

=215

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

You missed a part:

Dude- 100
Tartaros- 35
Digital L- 15
Iron Halo- 25
Paragon- 25
Master C- 15

=215

So did you, terminator armor makes a paragon blade and iron halo cheaper.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 26, 2016

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Ahhh, yep, that'll do it. 15 points cheaper and not even a ranged weapon.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Not a huge fan of terminator praetors in general anyways, unless they are deep striking I think AA and the halo are better, and slightly cheaper. Sure you miss out on the better ranged weapon but I almost never shoot with him anyways because he's charging.
Going to try the Iron Circle command squad Thursday with a Primarchs chosen list. Playing against a salamanders player who ~always~ brings a blob of firedrakes in a Spartan. I feel like it's not going to go as well as I hope. Although he might actually switch it up because last time we played the Glaive killed 6 drakes with one shot. It was amazing.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 26, 2016

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Tartaros are for chumps.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Tartaros termies own, they look like mini dreads. So kawaii.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Uh, Tartaros armour best armour. MKIV armour best armour.

Scrubs.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Do Rapiers count as Infantry or Artillery? Asking for the Coils of the Hydra restriction, I'd prefer to give them Tank Hunters and pop Super Heavies all day long than Infiltrate, considering they'll be sitting in my backline.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

SteelMentor posted:

Do Rapiers count as Infantry or Artillery? Asking for the Coils of the Hydra restriction, I'd prefer to give them Tank Hunters and pop Super Heavies all day long than Infiltrate, considering they'll be sitting in my backline.

Artillery, surely.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I did another pass on the rules for "Lightning Strike", our version of Forgeworlds 'Tactical Strike'. The update is based on the feedback I got from when I played with the other losers in this thread:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ahdfeBukDCz8DLBs_PUudfnOiyCAO3U0gqLjW_IwYZU/edit?usp=sharing

-Clarified how action points work with odd numbers of players
-Tweaked the hero roles, getting rid of the lackluster ones and or buffing them
-Added a section of rules tweaks for things nobody every takes like plasma pistols and rotor cannons

SteelMentor posted:

Rapiers are artillery, but their crew are infantry with the LA special rule. It's a bit awkward in how it works but for coils of the hydra, they need to have infiltrate otherwise you can't take them.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 27, 2016

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Mango Polo posted:

Then yeah totally a trap. The value of a Spartan is already dubious if you're not carrying some amazing super cool unit that will munch whatever it touches, but two of them for BA tacticals? Nein!

Unless you're playing in a big enough game that you can still fit other things in your list, then sure, your tacticals will actually be better protected than those in rhinos.

Speaking of blood bagels, I'm getting there.

How did you get the metallic to work so well? I tried 4 different times and failed, finally resorting to a matte finish.

All with black base:

First attempt: ironbreaker air -> Creatix red transparent. It looked plasti dipped.

Second attempt: ironbreaker air with runefang air highlight -> Minitaire Ghost Tint. Too pink.

Third attempt: ironbreaker air, single thin coat with Ghost Tint -> Minitaire Ghost Tint. Too red (think Word Bearers)

Fourth attempt: ironbreaker air, Forge World Khorne red Angron red. Still could not get the right metallic tint.

I just ended up going with a Khorne red base, Mephiston later and a scarlet red highlight. It looks ok, but nowhere near the effect I wanted.

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

OhDearGodNo posted:

How did you get the metallic to work so well? I tried 4 different times and failed, finally resorting to a matte finish.

All with black base:

First attempt: ironbreaker air -> Creatix red transparent. It looked plasti dipped.

Second attempt: ironbreaker air with runefang air highlight -> Minitaire Ghost Tint. Too pink.

Third attempt: ironbreaker air, single thin coat with Ghost Tint -> Minitaire Ghost Tint. Too red (think Word Bearers)

Fourth attempt: ironbreaker air, Forge World Khorne red transparent. Still could not get the right metallic tint.

I just ended up going with a Khorne red base, Mephiston later and a scarlet red highlight. It looks ok, but nowhere near the effect I wanted.

I think I get the problem you're having. How many coats of clear red are you doing?

For my TS I start with the base:
Vallejo Metallic Color Gloss Black -> MC Gunmetal Grey -> MC Gold -> MC White Aluminium.
(I'm going to be changing that formula a bit, because the gloss primer is amazing on large, not too detailed surfaces like the model planes it was made for, but getting a mirrored coat on complex surfaces is a pain. You can sort of see what I mean on the front-most guy's legs (mirror finish) and the the shoulderpads (slightly fuzzier).)

Anyway after that I do the red, which takes 5 to 7 coats. The clear paints are pretty thick , if you go too heavy it just makes a mess as you found out.
Here's two tests I did, using Angron Red (the one you have) and Tamiya Clear Red (the one I ended up preferring). In both cases you do a light spray, wait for it to try, and keep repeating until you get the color you want.

Mango Polo posted:

first Angron Red.

First spray. The heavier coat again did the weird pooling and pockmark effect.
Second spray.
Third spray. Spraying a bit harder now.
Fourth Spray.
Fifth spray. At this point the odd spoon's problematic paint is finally invisible and this feels Thousand Sons-ish, on the pinker side.
Sixth spray. Much heavier, which helps to get the lacquered effect. I'd consider stopping here for a red with some orange tint.
Seventh spray. Same as above. Now we've got a solid red with just a bit of orange. Love it.
Let's compare with the Tamiya, on the right. Yup, Angron Red's got a slight orange tint that Tamiya doesn't have, but I don't think most people would notice unless they knew about those two colors.

Mango Polo posted:

Same process, with Tamiya now. I sprayed at 20 psi. Previous tests were done at a little under 15, but for the sake of comparing with Angron Red...
First spray. I thought I was a bit heavy handed, but it turned out fine.
Second spray. Forgot to take a picture.
Third spray. Heavier coating.
Fourth spray. A bit heavier still. Nice color, but feels a little flat compared to Angron Red.
Fifth and final spray. Heavy coating to try to catch up with Angron Red's lacquered effect. The color itself though has barely changed since the last step.
Let's compare them all, including a previous Tamiya painted soon that had a few days to cure.

Tamita is thinned 1:1 with X-20A Thinner, Angron Red is 4:1.

It's tempting to go heavy with the first two coats because you barely notice they are there (that's why I kept the original non-tinted color as a reference) but slow and steady gets the best results. If you're not doing multiple models at the same time then a hairdryer is very useful since you want the previous coat to be dry or almost dry before moving to the next.

e. I've seen someone get good results with Createx AutoAir Candy, but nothing good out of the regular transparents. Might want to ditch that and stick with Angron Red or something more accessible like Tamiya Clear Red.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 27, 2016