Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

frodnonnag posted:

Its pretty nice though, as it feels like a standard busy server from the toau era.

Speaking of poo poo, i really need to overhaul the op, should i just edit it or do a new thread?
Just overhaul the OP. The game is mostly dead and won't see another full blown expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

frodnonnag posted:

Yea, pretty much everything not 99/119 or extremely niche is dead. Check it on ffxiah.com and usually chuck it.

Yeah but my magics.

Also is there any specific unity I should join?

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Apururu is the best WHM trust in the game. Unless you really need something else she is pretty much the default choice

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Majumbo posted:

Do you wanna fight?!? CoP is amazing and if you are about to rag on my Prishe i will make you an appointment for the icehouse

I like all of the cutscenes. Especially the ones with waifu and husbandu. FFXI has tons of 's content. Still it is pure cheese, yet I am always coming back for more.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Majumbo posted:

Do you wanna fight?!? CoP is amazing and if you are about to rag on my Prishe i will make you an appointment for the icehouse

Yeah, CoP is the best Final Fantasy story ever written. I really wish they'd make a single-player RPG built around that story, but I don't know how you could separate it from the greater story as a whole without damaging it. Besides, it just doesn't work as well when it's not an MMORPG. It's a shame.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

The mission storylines are great with Enternity and the add-on that unlocks the FPS limit, so that they end quicker.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

LiquidFriend posted:

The mission storylines are great with Enternity and the add-on that unlocks the FPS limit, so that they end quicker.

Only the FPS limit unlock is really handy for even more stuff. Enternity is not my thing because I enjoy the cut scenes.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The FPS limit unlocker is nice when I'm running around in the wilderness, but I get massive animation lag when there's more than a few characters on-screen. And you have to do the setting that caps at 60fps, because if you try to uncap it, animations go haywire and it makes your character look like they're sprinting on ice. It's annoying, especially since this is now a 14-year-old game running on code held together by chewing gum and shoelaces. No idea if there's a way to fix it.

Also - Profblix finally dropped that goddamned earring! :woop:

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

If they would just create a new FF11 in a new engine, modernize the gameplay a bit, modernize the graphics, but leave all the content as-is
I would gladly purchase the game, all the expansions, and create a new character from scratch. I don't even care

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Zero The Hero posted:

If they would just create a new FF11 in a new engine, modernize the gameplay a bit, modernize the graphics, but leave all the content as-is
I would gladly purchase the game, all the expansions, and create a new character from scratch. I don't even care

What if they do all that and add a few stamina based resources and time gating ala phone game style?

Cause that appears to be exactly what they're doing.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Sprite141 posted:

What if they do all that and add a few stamina based resources and time gating ala phone game style?

Cause that appears to be exactly what they're doing.

If you're talking about Grandmasters, I don't think it's ever coming to the US.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Zero The Hero posted:

If you're talking about Grandmasters, I don't think it's ever coming to the US.

Not quite-
https://m.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/4iwc77/everything_we_know_about_ffxi_mobile_updated/

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

They should have asked "How pay to win will this be?"

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

Probably less money than I've already dropped on FFXI.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Holyshoot posted:

One of the screenshots shows 4 separate currencies. So I'm thinking the answer is "very" :smith:

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Zero The Hero posted:

Ditto. I've been trying to get into 14 and it almost scratches the itch, but I find the world and characters to be so thoroughly grimy and unlikable compared to 11 that it's tough to enjoy.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Gruknor posted:

Only the FPS limit unlock is really handy for even more stuff. Enternity is not my thing because I enjoy the cut scenes.
I am a bitter old man that's seen the cutscenes nearly ten times already. I don't mind getting through them as quickly as possible by now.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

LiquidFriend posted:

I am a bitter old man that's seen the cutscenes nearly ten times already. I don't mind getting through them as quickly as possible by now.

Well if you'd stop getting banned and/or selling your accounts...

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

frodnonnag posted:

Well if you'd stop getting banned and/or selling your accounts...
Old habits die hard.

I am enjoying my new smoker though. Made some delicious brisket and burnt ends this weekend :)

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Just hit 75, and spent a little time this morning getting the 3 merits for the first post-Maat limit break. Escha Zi'Tah is pretty nice with all the vultures in the middle, but it's a pain in the rear end to deal with all the corses and skeletons running around.

LiquidFriend posted:

Old habits die hard.

I am enjoying my new smoker though. Made some delicious brisket and burnt ends this weekend :)

How many fire crystals did that take? Also what's the cap on Smoked Brisket? I've been thinking about working on Cooking so I can make my own BST jugs.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I haven't played FFXI since 2012. I've had a feeling of nostalgia for it. Is it worth it to come back? What's changed?

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

I've had a feeling of nostalgia for it. Is it worth it to come back?

Might as well. Clear the missions you never cleared before if nothing else.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Zero The Hero posted:

Might as well. Clear the missions you never cleared before if nothing else.

I don't even remember what the hell I did up to that point, being it's 4 years ago. I'd likely start fresh.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

I haven't played FFXI since 2012. I've had a feeling of nostalgia for it. Is it worth it to come back? What's changed?

I think this is a great time to come back to the game if you played it for any decent length of time in the past. You'll be able to appreciate all the changes.

A brief summary of what's new:

- Seekers of Adoulin, a full-fledged expansion with 2 new jobs (Geomancer and Rune Fencer).
- Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, a "finale" storyline which ties together all the previous stories and gives you game-breaking key items as rewards. These do things like grant massive EXP bonuses, greatly reduce delays on time-gated content (e.g. Assault tags refresh in 10 minutes instead of 24 hours), and much more.
- The Trust system, a feature which lets you collect and summon AI-controlled NPC helpers. This allows you to solo level and clear almost all of the game's content by yourself.
- Job Points, basically Merit Points for Lv99 jobs.
- Equipment with "item levels", similar to modern MMOs. The current cap brings players to an effective strength of Lv119 and there's no plans to change it.
- New fast-travel systems, including the ability to travel to any home point you've visited, a network of "survival guides" (floating books usually placed at the beginning of dungeon areas), and Adoulin's proto-waypoints.

There's more, but that's the big stuff I can think of right now.

If you quit in 2012, I think people were still doing Abyssea alliances for EXP and Voidwatch was the endgame. And if you do start a new character, it's never been easier to level.

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second
I only played this back in 2003 for a week or so. I just started playing again this weekend and I've been having a blast. If you play FFXIV it's especially fun because you can see a lot of things that carried over.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

DizzyBum posted:

I think this is a great time to come back to the game if you played it for any decent length of time in the past. You'll be able to appreciate all the changes.

A brief summary of what's new:

- Seekers of Adoulin, a full-fledged expansion with 2 new jobs (Geomancer and Rune Fencer).
- Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, a "finale" storyline which ties together all the previous stories and gives you game-breaking key items as rewards. These do things like grant massive EXP bonuses, greatly reduce delays on time-gated content (e.g. Assault tags refresh in 10 minutes instead of 24 hours), and much more.
- The Trust system, a feature which lets you collect and summon AI-controlled NPC helpers. This allows you to solo level and clear almost all of the game's content by yourself.
- Job Points, basically Merit Points for Lv99 jobs.
- Equipment with "item levels", similar to modern MMOs. The current cap brings players to an effective strength of Lv119 and there's no plans to change it.
- New fast-travel systems, including the ability to travel to any home point you've visited, a network of "survival guides" (floating books usually placed at the beginning of dungeon areas), and Adoulin's proto-waypoints.

There's more, but that's the big stuff I can think of right now.

If you quit in 2012, I think people were still doing Abyssea alliances for EXP and Voidwatch was the endgame. And if you do start a new character, it's never been easier to level.

Yep, it was Abyssea all day every day. You have convinced me, I'll have to download it when I'm actually home and not working tons of freakin overtime.

I played Rift for some time and FF 14, and while they were cool, they all felt the same, where as FF11 always felt different (and more fun).

Thanks!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

Yep, it was Abyssea all day every day. You have convinced me, I'll have to download it when I'm actually home and not working tons of freakin overtime.

I played Rift for some time and FF 14, and while they were cool, they all felt the same, where as FF11 always felt different (and more fun).

Thanks!

:getin: Remember to get on Asura 'cause that's where the party's at! Everyone in GetOut is sacked so it should be easy to get a pearl.

And just to give an example of how fast leveling is right now, I'm grinding out BST in Zeruhn Mines. By stacking GoV page 4 and turning on all the relevant RoE tasks, I went from 75 to 77 in about a half hour. And I "only" have a global 60% EXP bonus from the first two RoV key items, so once I take care of the next set of missions, that will be going much faster.

Also, all the items you amass down there (bat wings, flint stones, Zeruhn soot) can be traded in repeatable quests for easy fame in a few cities.

I enjoy FFXIV but I just had to take a break from it for a while. I actually unsubbed from it a couple months ago before I moved since I knew I wouldn't have time for it. And yeah, there really isn't anything quite like FFXI.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Micro transactions are here!

http://www.playonline.com/ff11eu/envi/wardrobe/index.html
SE have lost their minds

I can't believe that's a per month fee. Inventory isnt even that much of a problem these days.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

SE have lost their minds

I can't believe that's a per month fee. Inventory isnt even that much of a problem these days.

Yeah gently caress this. I think this might drive me to quit for good. Time to write up a list of tasks to finish before I call it quits. I never did finish those mini-scenarios. I think I'll finish off my MNK Relic even though I don't play that job anymore and be done with it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zero The Hero posted:

Yeah gently caress this. I think this might drive me to quit for good.

Seriously? Of all things? This?

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Seriously? Of all things? This?

Yes. They've made all sorts of demands on my time in the past but, outside of the security token, never my money. I bought their game and who knows how many expansions. I pay their monthly fee. They're providing less now than they have in the past, in terms of updates, but they're asking for more money? gently caress that.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
This is pretty much the bonus retainer slots in XIV. I honestly don't see why people are getting frustrated with this. No different than buying another character slot, isn't it?

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before

Zero The Hero posted:

Yes. They've made all sorts of demands on my time in the past but, outside of the security token, never my money. I bought their game and who knows how many expansions. I pay their monthly fee. They're providing less now than they have in the past, in terms of updates, but they're asking for more money? gently caress that.

???

You do you, by all means. But especially as an optional thing, this doesn't seem like that big a deal? There are so many options for inventory as is, I can't imagine folks are having too much trouble with space unless they're regularly rotating gear on multiple active jobs or are a terrible pack-rat. Maybe if they're some kind of super crafter, I guess? I mean, some people already pay the extra dollar for an extra character to use as inventory storage, so. v:v:v

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

SE have lost their minds

$4.00 extra per month for both wardrobes 3 and 4? My stingy side hates this, but I am really glad they are adding mog wardrobes 3 and 4. I wish they made us do a questline instead or pay an amount once instead of a monthly fee.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

My biggest worry is it removes incentives for SE to add items to storage slips/porter moogles/whatever. From now on when they develop new content/items/systems they will have to consider if this could remove revenue stream from the optional aspects.
Or the opposite, they could start creating a poo poo ton of situational items and flood inventories to make these a bigger requirement for players

Combination items like Chatoyant Staff or Fotia Belt will be a thing of the past.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't like the idea at all but I'm not gonna pay for it so really it changes nothing for me.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

My biggest worry is it removes incentives for SE to add items to storage slips/porter moogles/whatever. From now on when they develop new content/items/systems they will have to consider if this could remove revenue stream from the optional aspects.
Or the opposite, they could start creating a poo poo ton of situational items and flood inventories to make these a bigger requirement for players

Combination items like Chatoyant Staff or Fotia Belt will be a thing of the past.

That assumes larger scale content systems which just havent been true so far. Im all for large amounts of situational gear, if it opens up with a large amount of content to support it all

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

It wouldn't need to be large scale systems. They could start adding poo poo to Ambuscade, or other events/battlefields that add up quickly.

New elemental stave a month from the free loot box or something like that.

I'm not saying it's gonna happen, but it's possible and more likely if they have financial incentive to do so. So I'm not a fan.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

It wouldn't need to be large scale systems. They could start adding poo poo to Ambuscade, or other events/battlefields that add up quickly.

New elemental stave a month from the free loot box or something like that.

I'm not saying it's gonna happen, but it's possible and more likely if they have financial incentive to do so. So I'm not a fan.

Im pretty impartial on it, ill probably buy it just for a box for my costume poo poo, but it'll finally give me reason to nuke my old mules and deactivate those content ids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Kortel posted:

This is pretty much the bonus retainer slots in XIV. I honestly don't see why people are getting frustrated with this. No different than buying another character slot, isn't it?

Something else I never did. But this is still a step above, they're trying to get blood out of a stone at this point. They've hamstrung their dev team, cut back severely on new content, and they basically just admitted they're never going to give us the PC upgrades they promised a couple years back. Now they're asking me for even more money to deliver even less than they used to. We've tolerated a lot of poo poo from them over the years, but there's just no excuse anymore. They promised new tech when PS2 support was dropped, but all we got was crystal storage, done through NPCs placed in far away areas that can't even handle trading more than one type of crystal at once. They still haven't followed through on that discount for subscribing to both FF11 and FF14. This is just final proof that they're only ever going to do the bare minimum until the game dies.