Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Michael Scott posted:

The iPhone Upgrade Program terms are confusing. If I use the program but want a new phone after 6 months, what are my options and which is the most advantageous? I'm thinking of getting the 7 but might also want the 7S.

If I remember correctly you have to have the phone half paid off (12 payments) before you can upgrade. There's an option somewhere to cover the difference if you don't qualify.

Other than that, you just roll over onto a new phone and extend the two year payment period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
My girlfriend missed her alarm yesterday too, not sure if she got an update but I did receive a carrier update.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

xzzy posted:

If I remember correctly you have to have the phone half paid off (12 payments) before you can upgrade. There's an option somewhere to cover the difference if you don't qualify.

Other than that, you just roll over onto a new phone and extend the two year payment period.

And "upgrading" means returning the phone to Apple, and not just giving them 24 payments?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
FWIW I've had updates overnight and my alarm still went off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Michael Scott posted:

And "upgrading" means returning the phone to Apple, and not just giving them 24 payments?

Yes, they take the old phone and hand you a new one. At that point you're no longer paying for the old one anymore and are free and clear of it.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

cowofwar posted:

Apparently the 7 will not be much of an update which is good because my 6 is still fine. I'll upgrade to the 7S I next year.

I'd feel the same way, except for that the battery on my 6 is shot to all hell.

I'll probably just bite the bullet and switch to Apple's upgrade program, and commit to paying Apple money every month for the rest of my life. But hey, new phone every year!

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

xzzy posted:

Yes, they take the old phone and hand you a new one. At that point you're no longer paying for the old one anymore and are free and clear of it.

Well yeah, but that means you've paid like $400 (half full price) to use a phone for 6 months. If you sold it, you could maybe get that figure down to $100 or $200 depending on the selling price. Is that the drawback with the upgrade program?

OldSenileGuy posted:

I'd feel the same way, except for that the battery on my 6 is shot to all hell.

I'll probably just bite the bullet and switch to Apple's upgrade program, and commit to paying Apple money every month for the rest of my life. But hey, new phone every year!

Same here buddy, my 6 battery is probably down to 75% capacity, but I don't have AC+ to do the free battery change. Or does that require the deductible anyway?

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 22, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The people it most appeals to are those who upgrade annually at or around launch, so generally they'll be paying half of full price for 12 months of use. Getting a mid-year upgrade isn't really the intended use, though you can obviously do that if you want. It probably works out better to buy it outright and resell it, as you're surmised.

Incidentally, iPhone 6 prices are a lot higher than I would have expected when I was looking last night. Need to get around to selling mine soon.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Incidentally, iPhone 6 prices are a lot higher than I would have expected when I was looking last night. Need to get around to selling mine soon.

Really? I was looking in LA and the prices are a lot lower than I thought so I just held on to mine.

Good thing I did too because my GF's 6 had her camera go bad which was royally screwing up the phone.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Speaking of alarms, that's strange... I have snooze turned off for my work alarm, and normally it plays indefinitely unless I TouchID it off and then the alarm screen goes away. On Monday I slept in and was late for work, my alarm wasn't going off, but when I woke my phone... the alarm screen was up, just nothing was playing. My ringer volume was at max, and the alarm worked fine the next day.

Interesting. I didn't have any updates.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Really? I was looking in LA and the prices are a lot lower than I thought so I just held on to mine.

Good thing I did too because my GF's 6 had her camera go bad which was royally screwing up the phone.

64-GB models are selling for around $400 on Swappa, which seems pretty good to me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Michael Scott posted:

Well yeah, but that means you've paid like $400 (half full price) to use a phone for 6 months. If you sold it, you could maybe get that figure down to $100 or $200 depending on the selling price. Is that the drawback with the upgrade program?

Yep, if you upgrade early Apple rakes you over the coals. You're basically consenting to paying $20-$30 every month for eternity.

After two years the phone is yours free and clear and you can recoup whatever you can on the secondary market.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
So the minimum reasonable upgrade time is a year, otherwise you get moneyscrewed. Gotcha.

Definitely sucks if one of their 6-month new models is sweet and you have to wait 6 months till you can upgrade normally.

I want to get each and every phone still warm from underage Chinese hands.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Or just pay the whole thing off and resell it if you're that aching for a new phone after 6 months?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
That was one thing I was unsure about. Say you give them 24 months payments early. Does that mean you can immediately use iPhone Upgrade Program again no questions asked?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Michael Scott posted:

That was one thing I was unsure about. Say you give them 24 months payments early. Does that mean you can immediately use iPhone Upgrade Program again no questions asked?

If you make 12 payments, turn in the phone in good working order, and sign up for a second 24 month loan they forgive the last 12 months of the first loan.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

cowofwar posted:

Apparently the 7 will not be much of an update which is good because my 6 is still fine. I'll upgrade to the 7S I next year.

I've jumped around a bit from my 6S. Tried the SE but screen real estate is just not there (worse in iOS 10 so far). Figured if I was going to have to use two hands anyways why not go the 6S Plus .. glad I did. Found a used one on swappa, have zero intention of getting the next model. Perhaps next year but even then if they finally do adopt OLED, etc, I hate being an "early adopter" of apple stuff .. generally bites me.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Shillary posted:

If you make 12 payments, turn in the phone in good working order, and sign up for a second 24 month loan they forgive the last 12 months of the first loan.

Yep, not quite what I was asking. That would be akin to paying half-price for 6 months of a phone. I was asking can you give full price, sell the phone elsewhere, then immediately sign up for another Upgrade Program thing. (Your total cost for using the phone for 6 months would be considerably less than half-retail)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

I'm not sure anyone really knows this, but I'd venture to say yes. If you've fulfilled the terms of the original loan and your credit is sufficient, I can't imagine they'd turn you down.

Shillary posted:

That's not what he's asking.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Michael Scott posted:

Yep, not quite what I was asking. That would be akin to paying half-price for 6 months of a phone. I was asking can you give full price, sell the phone elsewhere, then immediately sign up for another Upgrade Program thing.

Oh yeah, as long as you pay the 24 payments the phone is yours Apple doesn't care.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The issue with an early payoff is they don't make it clear how you actually do it.

The loan is really loving weird because you never set up anything with the bank, they just send you an email and start charging a credit card every month. Most loans have a super obvious method to pay an alternative amount each month but this one never really describes it as a feature.

I'm sure that information is available somewhere but it sure isn't out in the open.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

xzzy posted:

The issue with an early payoff is they don't make it clear how you actually do it.

The loan is really loving weird because you never set up anything with the bank, they just send you an email and start charging a credit card every month. Most loans have a super obvious method to pay an alternative amount each month but this one never really describes it as a feature.

I'm sure that information is available somewhere but it sure isn't out in the open.

After a quick Google, I guess this is it: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7275093?start=0&tstart=0

Looks like navigating a dumb phone tree is the only way to do it.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 22, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

You have to call them to pay off the balance. Otherwise it just auto-drafts every month. There's no way on the website to even make payments when you want, as far as I can tell.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Pivo posted:

Speaking of alarms, that's strange... I have snooze turned off for my work alarm, and normally it plays indefinitely unless I TouchID it off and then the alarm screen goes away. On Monday I slept in and was late for work, my alarm wasn't going off, but when I woke my phone... the alarm screen was up, just nothing was playing. My ringer volume was at max, and the alarm worked fine the next day.

Interesting. I didn't have any updates.

I never realized you could turn snooze off. Wow.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

cryptoclastic posted:

I never realized you could turn snooze off. Wow.

I'd never make it to work if you couldn't.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm a networking doh-doh these days. I just bought a new router, and ever since, my 6S will intermittently lose its 5GHz wifi connection at some point during sleep, and requires me to toggle wifi on and off (in iOS) to reconnect. There doesn't seem to be any obvious setting in the router's front end re: connection lifespan or the such. Any ideas? Should I just go back to the 2.4GHz band?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I definitely had the alarm made no noise but was on my screen thing happen once. I have no clue what causes it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yeah Apple's had some quirky behaviour before with the alarm not going off around DST time-shifts and maybe moving across borders and things like that, but I've literally not had a time-zone shift since March and it worked fine since. Haven't travelled with the phone to another timezone either. Completely inexplicable. Same settings, alarm worked fine the next day.

At least I'm not a shift worker and no one gives a gently caress that I'm late, but I'm starting to think that I should buy a dedicated alarm clock!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

enojy posted:

I'm a networking doh-doh these days. I just bought a new router, and ever since, my 6S will intermittently lose its 5GHz wifi connection at some point during sleep, and requires me to toggle wifi on and off (in iOS) to reconnect. There doesn't seem to be any obvious setting in the router's front end re: connection lifespan or the such. Any ideas? Should I just go back to the 2.4GHz band?

It's not helpful, but in my experience some routers play weird with Apple devices. My old, faithful Asus n56u often causes like 10 minute DNS problems with my MBA, for instance. iOS and Windows devices work fine but OS X just doesn't, intermittently and unpredictably, no matter what I try. I just let it sit for like 15 minutes when it happens and it gets sorted out. :iiam:

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
lol if you're not all-in with the fruit gear koolaid. Just get an airport extreme/express and let it "just work".

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Pivo posted:

Yeah Apple's had some quirky behaviour before with the alarm not going off around DST time-shifts and maybe moving across borders and things like that, but I've literally not had a time-zone shift since March and it worked fine since. Haven't travelled with the phone to another timezone either. Completely inexplicable. Same settings, alarm worked fine the next day.

At least I'm not a shift worker and no one gives a gently caress that I'm late, but I'm starting to think that I should buy a dedicated alarm clock!

I live in Arizona, so in theory DST shifts aren't even on the table. In theory because AT&T a few years ago put new towers in which is cool but forgot to uncheck the DST tab so you had the fun thing of your clock changing time as you drove around town, although I currently don't have the automatic time update on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or get away from garbage consumer grade access points/routers. They're all in a rush to the bottom, trying to fatten the feature list while keeping costs down.

Not saying you gotta rush out and get a Cisco corporate account, but some of the other guys like mikrotik or ubiquiti are making some really good hardware right now. And yes, the Apple AP reviews decently as well.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Or get away from garbage consumer grade access points/routers. They're all in a rush to the bottom, trying to fatten the feature list while keeping costs down.

Not saying you gotta rush out and get a Cisco corporate account, but some of the other guys like mikrotik or ubiquiti are making some really good hardware right now. And yes, the Apple AP reviews decently as well.

Yeah, I mean, my router was like $150 new so I thought I was getting a quality thing, and it works pretty well, most of the time, for nearly all of my computers. Eventually, though:

Unity Gain posted:

lol if you're not all-in with the fruit gear koolaid. Just get an airport extreme/express and let it "just work".

:smith:

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

I'm sorry :(

What I really meant was

xzzy posted:

And yes, the Apple AP reviews decently as well.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there a way to turn off the iPhone's horribly artificial shutter noise (without having to make the whole phone go silent)?

Seriously, I don't think i've ever head a standalone camera make that noise naturally.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Avocados posted:

Is there a way to turn off the iPhone's horribly artificial shutter noise (without having to make the whole phone go silent)?

Seriously, I don't think i've ever head a standalone camera make that noise naturally.

Isn't it always on because of Japanese up-skirt perverts?

The same reason all phones have an audible camera noise?

Seriously, I'm not racist...this was a real thing.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Snuffman posted:

Isn't it always on because of Japanese up-skirt perverts?

The same reason all phones have an audible camera noise?

Seriously, I'm not racist...this was a real thing.

Outside of Japan it obeys the mute toggle switch.

Otherwise there is no way to turn it off, sorry.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I decided to try out "Mojo Installer" which is a jailbreak alternative, to install an emulator so I could play some old games. It is installed using the "date trick" to set up the app through an expired certificate. I think it hosed something on my phone though- my phone is HOT all the time and Omnistat shows both processors pegged at 100%. I removed the profiles that I set up for Mojo and removed its app and this continued. I did a backup and restore and it still seems to be doing the same thing. Would my next bet be to just set up as a new phone? Im going to give it a day to see if it stops. I have been in an area with lovely cell coverage and lovely wifi so maybe that was part of it?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
You have no backups from before the JB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I might, I usually just backup to iCloud. It wasn't an actual jailbreak though, just an app install.

It seems to be OK this morning- looks like Photos was uploading some photos to iCloud which I guess was the issue.