Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
ok so 4-3-3 any tips, or should I just google that formation and immerse myself in the 'tism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You want two or three guys attacking the box (Attack duty) to score goals, three or four guys staying were they are (Defend) so you don't get countered to death, and the rest can stay in between and play actual football (Support). Support duties are objectively the best so don't feel like everyone has to pile forward or back to be effective. Support does everything, not nothing.

Decide which 2 or 3 players you want to play the piano, and build the other 8 or 9 positions to simply carry it. Nothing fancy or foreign sounding for their roles. Playmakers don't work without boring idiots running about for them to pass to, or win the ball back after they gently caress it up.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Good grief.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Waroduce posted:

1. Whats some bullshit I need to watch out for? Crosses from RB/LBs i believe when I was reading the thread for instance

2. Should I start with a very good team a-la Arsenal/Man City/PSG/Barca or go from the bottom up? By bottom I mean a lovely team in Italy, or like League 1/Championship.

3. Is it generally more advisable to fit players into a tactic that I want to play, or figure out what my players do and keep a fluid tactic?

Crosses from full backs being overpowered is an issue exclusive to 16, so no need to worry if you're playing 15.

I find it most rewarding to play as a lower mid table club or a very good 2nd div club and build them up around my philosophies, and craft my own winning side than coming into one that already wins and being expected to deliver.

And its much better to make a good formation and cram players into that. Make adjustments if your team can't perform a role, and then look to sign players to fill gaps in your tactic rather than building a best XI that won't play well together.
I've always had the most success with a 4231 with a playmaker and two inside forwards behind a striker, and a ball winner and and a good passer in midfield, but there's a million ways to build a tactic depending on what if you prefer possession, counter attacks, tricky players, big men up front, etc

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I hesitated on picking this game up during the sale last week, but I think I'll grab it during the Summer Sale.

I wish Sports Interactive's Hockey Manager game was as refined as this series. I looked into the FM'16 tactics screen and that pretty much sealed my desire to jump ship (alongside catching up on the Wrexham LP). It looks a lot more comprehensible and easy to use than this hot mess:

But I guess it shouldn't be surprising, given EHM(1) is basically a slightly refined version of the last entry in the series, which was EHM'07. I can only imagine what the FM'07 tactics screen probably looked like (though it was probably still more refined than EHM).

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I'd have thought the tactics screen for hockey was a single checkbox labelled "Everyone chase the puck all the time" and it can't be unchecked

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
And a second one that can't ever be ticked to not fight.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

or an Aggression slider that's stuck all the way to the right

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Bought the game a few weeks ago and have gone back to my usual take Andorra from the bottom to top. 4 years in so far and I've got Encamp to the CL Champions Playoff round. Got trounced by Celtic, but we made $6 million from the loss and entrance to the Europa League. Never seen this before though. Too bad all the players are amateurs so I guess they're paying the fans with their day job wages.

Edit: Oops, happened again in the UL group stages These lovely plumbers are going to be broke before Christmas.

MagicCube fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 25, 2016

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
8-0 losses to Celtic and Celta? Dang

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
I too have some free time coming up, is it a good idea to buy FM16 now?

Also do we no longer have a goon FM team going? The one where you would upload the file for the next goon to take over for the next season.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
There is currently no AFC Parmo, no.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

nervana posted:

I too have some free time coming up, is it a good idea to buy FM16 now?

Sure, if you want to play it and have the time to do so.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

jyrka posted:

Sure, if you want to play it and have the time to do so.

To clarify, I meant to ask if it is a better choice than buying FM15, or waiting for the next one(I'm not going to be free until mid-July). I'm going to assume the answer is "yes" though.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
We were drawn against Sydney FC in the World Club Championship Final.
The days of sending the kids are long over, since the First Xi players bitch and moan if they're not selected. It wasn't the greatest match ever but it was succesful

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

nervana posted:

To clarify, I meant to ask if it is a better choice than buying FM15, or waiting for the next one(I'm not going to be free until mid-July). I'm going to assume the answer is "yes" though.

Yes. The new one will be probably full of bugs upon release.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
I'm still playing on 15 and won't be buying 16, will eventually buy up 17 once the match engines somewhat sorted. General rule of thumb is to skip buying every year as typically the older game will still have all the relevant roster updates etc. and so there's no real point to drop $50 every year.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If you're not still playing a five-year-old FM11 save that's twenty seasons in you're scrub-tier imo.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

vyelkin posted:

If you're not still playing a five-year-old FM11 save that's twenty seasons in you're scrub-tier imo.

I've been playing FM12 and I still think this is the most fun match engine the game has ever had.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010

vyelkin posted:

What about a 6 month old fm16 save that is twenty seasons in?

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

foolish_fool posted:

What about a 6 month old fm16 save that is twenty seasons in?

Pretty much this. Can you really say you've played FM if you haven't gotten to TYOOL 2035

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

nervana posted:

It hurts me to say it but overall FM15 is more satisfying to play. 15>16 is the only time in the games history (imo) where the improvements didn't make going back hard/impossible.

There are some ui improvements that are sort of neat, but if you haven't played either then 15 is as good as it gets (download a database update for transfers).

FM17 looks like it won't be out until even later than usual.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
How do updated transfers work on an older version? Do you still start in 2014 (for FM15) but have the correct squads for today?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I think the series needs a viable competitor to shake it up at this point, honestly

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Ragingsheep posted:

How do updated transfers work on an older version? Do you still start in 2014 (for FM15) but have the correct squads for today?
Exactly that, game date remains the same but you'll have correct squads, contracts, injuries, guys outta contract etc. A few will even have updated promotion/relegation. That said I don't actually know of any databases that are current for the end of the season... I've been using one that was current at the end of the first transfer window but that's literally back in August so ymmv.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The FM15 database on sortitoutsi.net was last updated at 11am this morning.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Just started a new game in FM15 because why not. First thing that happened was my whole squad is pissed off because I removed a player who is not with the team anymore as the captain.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Unwanted List is the shittest feature ever. If I add, say, 15 players to it, the DoF will cycle through them one by one taking months rather than getting to them all at the same time, which is what would happen in reality.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

jyrka posted:

Unwanted List is the shittest feature ever. If I add, say, 15 players to it, the DoF will cycle through them one by one taking months rather than getting to them all at the same time, which is what would happen in reality.

Same thing with transfer targets. Only about 1 in 20 works, but when I negotiate manually it works 50% of the time every time.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

sassassin posted:

The FM15 database on sortitoutsi.net was last updated at 11am this morning.

:chord: me gusta

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Unwanted/development/target lists are completely useless in LLM play.

The development list isn't too bad, except it'll often lead to useless low-level teams taking your players on loan for free.

The target list is ??? I don't know? You can almost never find a target with the "recommend target", and when you have a player in your sights it's always financially worse than just going into negotiations yourself.

But the unwanted list is the worst offender. You just get a message the next day saying "your asking price is too high, lower the price to attract more offers" and that's it. Unless you put the price ridiculously low/free, it doesn't do anything.

In some games I want to play with a DoF setup since it's just too boring to scour through mid-league (for LLM) talent for almost no payoff, and it's always annoying to be reminded that having a DoF in FM is just wasting money. I'm pretty sure the Youth Development guy is the same, but I guess he might have some hidden role in generating better youth players. The DoF though doesn't do anything of note. He can't even take a list of positions you need better players in/players you want to sell and work on it decently over a few weeks/months, and come back to check with you how he's progressing.

It's almost as annoying as scouts where you send them to follow the FA Cup (or similar) and unless you set parameters for the competition you'll get them fawning over a player that's worth more than your whole squad : "Sign at any price!"... In the 3rd division.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
If you're playing FM16, you can use Sortitoutsi's Custom Start Date with Real Fixtures and their updated database to start at the end of the 15/16 season. You'll get the correct league places (but not cup results).

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
So this is like $17 on Steam but I haven't really played much since like FM13 -- worth a shot?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

T-Bone posted:

So this is like $17 on Steam but I haven't really played much since like FM13 -- worth a shot?

It'll feel like a decent upgrade with lots of new features.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Sassasin, any idea if the Euro performances will be reflected in the player scores for FM17?

Or will it just be ignored so that England can be a perennial World Cup semi-finalist?

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
idk I mean there are some good players on englands team

they just loving suck as england

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
im gonna need some tips on transfers, I seem to be getting mugged off regularly. Every player I want always seems to be priced in the millions when I negotiate. I'm after Ryan Gauld from sporting at the moment, he's valued at 600k and is a backup player but when I try to negotiate they want 14 mil, am I doing something wrong? Also what's the point of paying in instalments for players, does it bleed into your transfer budget for the next year instead or something? Sorry for the daft questions but I'm shite at FM

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

If a club really doesn't want to sell, and they're not in financial difficulties, you're gonna get gouged badly.

You can always try talking in the media about how much you want to sign him, but unless you're a bigger club than Sporting it probably won't do much to unsettle him

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Up Circle posted:

idk I mean there are some good players on englands team

they just loving suck as england

Sure, and the odd semi final every 5-6 tournaments would be fine. But even in games where you don't load the English leagues England get to the semis 1/2 the time and even win something like one in five tournaments.

For transfers, I find that of you're a famous/rich/recently successful club, selling clubs try to drive a very tough deal. Don't hesitate to negotiate, you can often work then down/up 30% versus their opening offer, sometimes more. Depending on how you're playing, don't hesitate to include worthless clauses to "trick" the AI. Future sale profit, friendly and international caps can make a young player a lot less expensive for you when you know you'll leave the club before him, and he'll never be good enough to be an international. Of course, if the AI also thinks the player won't be worth anything going forwards (old player) or never turn international, these clauses are worthless.

Player status at club doesn't seem to have much effect. Contact length does, though. Players in the transfer list can often be steals, but often at the price of huge contracts that actually weigh your finances down even more. Idk about mind games, never did anything for me.

Overall though, the AI in the transfer market is pretty poor. If a player is overpriced, I usually just forget about him, unless it's really top level players where you don't have the choice but to compete with Man C/Chelsea/PSG/Real Madrid... and overpay just to avoid your rivals growing even stronger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
How the gently caress do you identify who is a good transfer for your team? Jus better stats in the role you need?

And how do you find players.....just assign scouts regionally