Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Saxophone posted:

I've never played a MST game and I've only played a few hours of a fire emblem. What's the verdict on this game? Asthetically it looks good, and I haven't played a good ol fashioned jrpg in a while.
The plot, at least so far, is its own self-contained thing and the characters just happen to partner with FE characters (who have amnesia so you won't hear a thing about FE backstory really). Basically it's real easy to follow and play; it just has a very flamboyant (and cool) aesthetic and if you're a fan of either game you'll get some extra mileage out of little nods like the weapon triangle being a part of the combat or the Jack Frost shop. It's otherwise a fairly standard (and good) RPG where you go in a dungeon, solve mild puzzles while fighting baddies, and then kill a few bosses along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So level ups are actually random? Seems a bit strange to have in a JRPG like this but i suppose if you're going for max level none of it will matter in the end?

I just got to the end of Chapter 1 and i find it funny that i was able to just say gently caress this dungeon noise i'm gonna go shopping/back to base to heal and upgrade poo poo. Like one second you're in a hellish landscape then in another you can be in a department store with cheery fun music.

Does this game have the social link aspect from Persona? It seems like it does when it asks you to pick choices but i don't think it actually makes a difference most of the time

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nope, there are character sidequests and stuff to do but unlocking them is based only on story progression and stage level.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

So, I assume these quests for the dark hee-ho shopkeeper are just endless, right? I can just leave them alone after doing one for the play award, yeah?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Infinity Gaia posted:

So, I assume these quests for the dark hee-ho shopkeeper are just endless, right? I can just leave them alone after doing one for the play award, yeah?

Yeah, they seem to be repeatable.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

CrashCat posted:

that was a very brave thing to admit on these forums :ohdear:

Hell, I've never played a Persona either. I didn't know what SMT even was until SMTIV came around, and even then the only reason I checked it out was because of that eShop discount deal with Fire Emblem Awakening.

I haven't owned a Sony system since the PS2. It's been all Nintendo all the way down.

I just reached Chapter 2 myself. That's where the ~*censorship*~ happens, so I hear. Looking forward to not caring about it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

I thought you were making a joke but there really is an EO3 Princess costume :stwoon:

I would never joke about Hype Princess

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Are Barry's pants when you first meet him orange and brown or orange and black. This is important because I think I might be color blind.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Silver Falcon posted:

I just reached Chapter 2 myself. That's where the ~*censorship*~ happens, so I hear. Looking forward to not caring about it.

You can enjoy the cast going completely bananas over an equivalent of a Hallmark's clothing brochure. :v:

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Silver Falcon posted:

Hell, I've never played a Persona either. I didn't know what SMT even was until SMTIV came around, and even then the only reason I checked it out was because of that eShop discount deal with Fire Emblem Awakening.

I haven't owned a Sony system since the PS2. It's been all Nintendo all the way down.

you should care, they replaced a boring bikini with one of the best outfits in the game.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Chapter 2 boss killed me in three turns

turn 1: summons goons

turn 2: the two axe fighters oneshot Tsubasa and Touma

turn 3: Boss got a critical hit and oneshots Iskuki from full HP (did 413 damage so it overkilled by about 35 HP).

loving destroyed.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Inflammatory posted:

you should care, they replaced a boring bikini with one of the best outfits in the game.

I'm not a fashion expert, but I can say it's the bestest! :v:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Inflammatory posted:

Oh, well that's different! I look forward to seeing it, then.

Lord Ephraim posted:

turn 3: Boss got a critical hit and oneshots Iskuki from full HP (did 413 damage so it overkilled by about 35 HP).

loving destroyed.

I'm hardly an expert on SMT, but that sure sounds like par for the course for the series, from my limited experience. :v:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So far none of the bosses have been TOO bad, but savage enemies and optional minibosses for sidequests have been doozies

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Rorus Raz posted:

Basically it's real easy to follow and play;

It's otherwise a fairly standard (and good) RPG where you go in a dungeon, solve mild puzzles while fighting baddies, and then kill a few bosses along the way.

Lord Ephraim posted:

loving destroyed.
trap sprung :black101:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've only died once on Normal but it probably would have been five or six times without Tsubasa's level 2 special bailing me out.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

And yep the fourth performa theft sidequest is just filled with enemies that all oneshot me. :shepface:

Guess I'll come back to that one.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

how does exp work for non active members? Do they get 100% exp, no exp or something in between. And if it's no exp is there scaling or something as a catch up mechanic

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They gain a really negligible amount of exp and since they aren't doing sessions their skills aren't increasing at all. There is definitely scaling, though.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

hmm

for those who've beaten the game, is this a pick a party and stick with it game, or is it the kind of game where you get enough out of diversification to make it worth rotating

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That said you get ways around that later. Once you can do Sub-Sessions you'll gain a bunch of weapon mastery from that and your protagonist gets a skill which gives 20% of all weapon mastery exp to the sub-characters. There's also a Watchfulness skill for back-lane EXP gain.

Cake Attack posted:

hmm

for those who've beaten the game, is this a pick a party and stick with it game, or is it the kind of game where you get enough out of diversification to make it worth rotating

I haven't finished it but diversification is a must. Your team just can't cover everything on its own and having a fully-equipped party means your sessions get a lot more powerful.

Class Change allows you to pick what the character diversifies into though.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

Cake Attack posted:

hmm

I haven't beaten it yet, but I've been switching out characters during combat to hit enemy weaknesses since switching doesn't take a turn.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cake Attack posted:

hmm

You wanna be rotating constantly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cake Attack posted:

hmm

I've been treating it like FFX and keeping everyone mostly at the same level, it's pretty easy since you can rotate anyone other than the MC out at any time for no cost and everyone gets full exp if they do something.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Played a bit of this game today. Just killed Aversa and finished Chapter 1. So far, I've had an alright challenge, but I'm guessing the difficulty will start to pick up soon.

Also, this game is fantastic! :allears:

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

I think savage enemies are based on your party level, not the dungeon you are in. I doubled back from the chapter 2 dungeon to the 106 idolsphere and the savage enemies had changed from a trio of lvl 11s to a quartet of lvl 26s.

This actually makes for really easy powerlevelling if you're prepared. At any point in the game go to 106 and activate Touma's skill... I think Estoma? And the only enemy spawns will be occasional savage enemies that will give you a boatload of xp. I felt like I got much better xp gains fighting a few savage enemies than mowing down waves of mooks in the current dungeon. This will probably also help with powerlevelling somebody who had been benched.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Since the side stories are tied into characters stage levels, I take it it requires quite a bit of extra grinding if I wanted to see everyone's side stories? Or is there a way to quickly rank up someones stage levels late in the game?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LibbyM posted:

Since the side stories are tied into characters stage levels, I take it it requires quite a bit of extra grinding if I wanted to see everyone's side stories? Or is there a way to quickly rank up someones stage levels late in the game?

Any character who is behind the curve seems to gain enhanced everything. I had a character start at 2 star power and they were gaining points really quickly as I used them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah it seems good about stuff like that at least, I've noticed that when you equip a new weapon you always get enough weapon exp for the first skill after just one battle as well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I shouldn't be surprised, but there's already a patch to "uncensor" the game. Including apparently changing gameplay improvements.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I didn't think the WiiU was hacked that wide open

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I want it unchanged, even when that version is strictly inferior

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Can I get a version that just fixes the wedding dress to not be appallingly ugly?

Edit: But for real tho, good for them. Isn't it better this way, that everyone can enjoy the game? It might not matter to us, but for the people it matters it seems undeniably like a good thing.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 26, 2016

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

you could just call this edgelord 2 :ssj:

https://my.mixtape.moe/dmozvc.webm

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

Can I get a version that just fixes the wedding dress to not be appallingly ugly?

Edit: But for real tho, good for them. Isn't it better this way, that everyone can enjoy the game? It might not matter to us, but for the people it matters it seems undeniably like a good thing.

The people who it matters to are upset they can't masturbate to a teenage in a bikini so to be honest I don't have a ton of sympathy for them.

That or I guess they're very very very big enthusiasts of a very specific wedding dress but I'm not particularly jumping to give benefit of the doubt to the mysteriously large group of wedding dress enthusiasts who can't enjoy a game without it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ImpAtom posted:

The people who it matters to are upset they can't masturbate to a teenage in a bikini so to be honest I don't have a ton of sympathy for them.

That or I guess they're very very very big enthusiasts of a very specific wedding dress but I'm not particularly jumping to give benefit of the doubt to the mysteriously large group of wedding dress enthusiasts who can't enjoy a game without it.

That's the thing though, they aren't even asking for sympathy at this point, they just went and edited the game to their tastes. If they were demanding Nintendo change stuff back, then sure, but I don't feel them developing their own version is worthy of mockery, just let them do their own thing. Besides, you know that you're being a little reductionist, I have some friends (massive weebs) who just hate any form of change from the original. While I believe change can be for the best, who am I to judge if someone disagrees to the point of going into the game and replacing stuff themselves?

Edit: wow I went and looked into it and they even retranslated chapter 2? That's some effort to go through.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 26, 2016

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
mod the game so barry is playable

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

mod the game so barry is playable

He was our old partner, ya' know.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Infinity Gaia posted:

That's the thing though, they aren't even asking for sympathy at this point, they just went and edited the game to their tastes. If they were demanding Nintendo change stuff back, then sure, but I don't feel them developing their own version is worthy of mockery, just let them do their own thing. Besides, you know that you're being a little reductionist, I have some friends (massive weebs) who just hate any form of change from the original. While I believe change can be for the best, who am I to judge if someone disagrees to the point of going into the game and replacing stuff themselves?

Edit: wow I went and looked into it and they even retranslated chapter 2? That's some effort to go through.

This is fair but I'll still laugh at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

When we're talking about a niche title that sold poorly in Japan and is probably not selling well in the US, it actually isn't a 'live and let live' thing. If they decide to pirate the game (as is pretty likely because most people really upset about this aren't going to be patching their legally purchased copy on a homebrew Wii U and the censorship bullshit makes them feel 'justified' for doing so) then it actually has a negative impact rather than being neutral.

They also did demand Nintendo change stuff back, Nintendo just ignored them.

They absolutely deserve to be mocked. They're not interested in censorship or localization, most of them probably don't actually know what was changed except for misleading videos. If they were they'd probably be playing the Japanese version because the localized version of the game has a number of edits that I'm willing to bet the patch doesn't catch because they're not women in bikinis. (Or they're using the exact same script in which case they don't care about any dialogue edits, just women in bikinis.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 26, 2016

• Locked thread