Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

pthighs posted:

It's very feasible to invade mainland Japan in this game as the Allies. Usually the northernmost island. The AI
isn't very good at repulsing you once you get a foothold.

In Grey's last aborted attempt at the Imperial Edition, I ran an experiment to settle the urban legend of exactly what the US spawns when Japan lands there.

pthighs posted:

A large convoy slips from its moorings in the Truk lagoon before dawn on
December 18th, 1941. Where could it be headed?

BANZAIIIII!!!

A most glorious victory indeed. Fortune smiled upon us; the Americans are so focused
on Europe that they moved every single military unit they could to the East Coast.

San Francisco is now in the blessed rays of the rising sun.

So a bunch of units spawn for the Americans in Salt Lake City,
and start to make their way to LA and San Francisco for a hasty defence.

This massive convoy arises from the Great Salt Lake

A few also spawn in LA/San Luis Obispo:

Here are the two HQs that spawn:

There is no Patton, unfortunately, and I don't see him as an available leader
for either HQ.

On the bright side, those US tanks aren't nearly as good as they could be.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

LOL pthighs, thanks for that.

"Japanese forces have CAPTURED San Francisco !!!"

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
In an alternate history, that stunt probably gets Tokyo nuked come 1945~

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
what happens if you land in LA? Do you really destroy all the airplane factories?

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003

i81icu812 posted:

what happens if you land in LA? Do you really destroy all the airplane factories?

Yes. Aircraft factories lose their production and switch to generic aircraft factories for the Japanese. However, if the allies re-capture the factories, they all are converted to vehicle factories (which don't do anything for the allies). In any case, Japanese capture of Allied aircraft factories destroys that aircraft production for the allies for good, leaving them with only the replacement rate for that airframe.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I get the general principle of an invasion of mainland US prompts America to massively mobilize... but where are all those tanks and poo poo supposed to have come from, overnight? Did the US really have several hundred combat-ready tanks stockpiled just in case the Japanese invaded?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Leperflesh posted:

I get the general principle of an invasion of mainland US prompts America to massively mobilize... but where are all those tanks and poo poo supposed to have come from, overnight? Did the US really have several hundred combat-ready tanks stockpiled just in case the Japanese invaded?

Yes, they'd been shipping hundreds of M3's to the British for months.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I recently read a Patton biography, and I forget the exact dates, but we had several armored divisions training up in the years leading up to Operation Torch. I'm assuming these would be the guys to respond to something crazy like that.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Leperflesh posted:

US production of war materiel outpaced their ability to ship it to Europe, so I imagine there were parking lots of tanks waiting to be loaded at any given time

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Huh. Well OK then.

e. I wonder if you could concievably land enough troops to take LA in one turn, trash the factories, and then load them right back up and escape before they get killed by the doom stacks?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 25, 2016

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

So, here's a question then - would it be worth it to do something really gamey like landing a very token force of troops in SF just to ruin their aircraft factories?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
LA, not SF. All the aircraft factories were in Burbank and City of Industry.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Burbank's a good way into the valley. YOU WON'T LAST 48 HOURS IN THE VALLEY SON

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

What was supposed to be reinforcements becomes the next landing – and we are into India now!

Enemy cruisers still patrol the Java sea.

Crossing into India is a big thing, even if it is just Cox's Bazaar.

I didn't see anything take a bomb today. Air support should be in place tomorrow.

tunapirate
Aug 15, 2015

Grey Hunter posted:

What was supposed to be reinforcements becomes the next landing – and we are into India now!

I think it was discussed in the thread already, but are there any events for Azad Hind/the INA once you reach India?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I hope those ships are at least beaching themselves entertainingly rather than sinking.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

tunapirate posted:

I think it was discussed in the thread already, but are there any events for Azad Hind/the INA once you reach India?

Not exactly, but the INA / Azad Hind and other Indian rebel groups are represented in a way. If memory serves, the Allies (well, British) have to garrison major cities and positions in India, much like the Japanese have to garrison the Russian border. The difference is that if the British don't or can't, the key locations start taking damage to represent guerrilla action. (I don't remember how this damage is modeled, and would ask someone more experience with the game go over the fine details).

Now that in particular isn't changed by a Japanese invasion, but consider that (notionally) rear-line locations may be stripped of defenders to go and reinforce the front line and thus enable attacks and damage, our invasion might assist them indirectly.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Serpentis posted:

Not exactly, but the INA / Azad Hind and other Indian rebel groups are represented in a way. If memory serves, the Allies (well, British) have to garrison major cities and positions in India, much like the Japanese have to garrison the Russian border. The difference is that if the British don't or can't, the key locations start taking damage to represent guerrilla action. (I don't remember how this damage is modeled, and would ask someone more experience with the game go over the fine details).

Now that in particular isn't changed by a Japanese invasion, but consider that (notionally) rear-line locations may be stripped of defenders to go and reinforce the front line and thus enable attacks and damage, our invasion might assist them indirectly.

For both Japan and the UK, all the important cities in China and India, respectively, have a garrison requirement number - if it isn't met, the town will periodically experience partisan attacks which damage facilities, and perhaps more importantly, delete a handful of victory points. Still, in the short term insurgency can't really lead to anything drastic. No insurgent military units will appear, and there will be only moderate damage to industry at best (and the Allies don't really need on-map industry). Plus the garrison targets are really low IIRC.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 25, 2016

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Erm, Guys. They are landing troops in the Home Islands. In 1942!

This will not stand!

We take more hits unloaded the troops at Cox's Bazaar.

As promised, we have CAP!

Unfortunately its not a massive one. They quickly run out of ammo. But maybe it will be a deterrent.

The base itself last five minutes.

I switch tactics and hit the Javan airfield.

So, a good day, except the AI seems to be playing by my rules and has launched an early invasion of the Kurile Islands.

This is as far north as the ships go without air support.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
The Doolittle raid was a bit grander scope in this timeline.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Welp. Crush them grey.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Now, that I hadn't expected.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Christ, Lysanders. Did they even have guns?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

goatface posted:

Wiki say a pair of .303 in the wheel pants and a Vickers gun out the rear cockpit.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

pthighs posted:

The Doolittle raid was a bit grander scope in this timeline.

That's one way to distract Imperial attention and resources, assuming it doesn't turn into a reverse "Hey, let's invade and occupy the Aleutian islands!"

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Does invading those islands unlock kamikazes for grey?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

goatface posted:

Offensive and Defensive guns!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Donkringel posted:

No, it's too early and that's too far out.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Wow.

Much respect, AI!

tunapirate
Aug 15, 2015

Grey Hunter posted:

Erm, Guys. They are landing troops in the Home Islands. In 1942!

I'm excited for Eniwe-two-k; this time the defenders will start with J-Rations!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Did the Russians claim the Kuriles at this point in history?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

goatface posted:

Did the Russians claim the Kuriles at this point in history?

Russia and Japan had resolved their territorial dispute at this point in time. The Soviet Union didn't unilaterally annex the entirety of the Kuriles until after WW2.

And who says scripted AI games are boring?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Donkringel posted:

Invading that close to the home islands, though, should spawn a bunch of free divisions for the Japanese.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

RZApublican posted:

Invading that close to the home islands, though, should spawn a bunch of free divisions for the Japanese.

So the most effective, albeit gamey, tactic is to clear the way if you see that coming?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Peanut3141 posted:

So the most effective, albeit gamey, tactic is to clear the way if you see that coming?

Worked for FDR :colbert:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Ardeem posted:

Wiki say a pair of .303 in the wheel pants and a Vickers gun out the rear cockpit.

They could also carry 4x60 pound and/or 2x500 pound bombs, IIRC. Not what they were designed for, but they could act as light bombers.

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

How's Singapore coming along?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Reuben Sandwich posted:

How's Singapore coming along?

He captured it some time ago.

6 days ago

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 27, 2016

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Man, torpedoing almost every CV in the British fleet, while simultaneously failing to finish off the Dutch East Indies makes me worry for our English winner of WW2.

He's simultaneously behind schedule on huge parts, while ahead of schedule on others. I'm going to be impressed if 1944 isn't a huge beat down. Keep on keeping on Grey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Hurry up and use some Ainu mercenaries on these demons!

Speaking of northern islands, wasn't Attu captured in this campaign? I saw part of the Aleuts in Japanese territory on the big map last time if I'm not wrong.