Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Crain posted:

I don't really think a live action OPM is worth it though? I'm not really sure how you'd do the whole ONE style Saitama -> Murata style cool Saitama without just way too much CGI. But eh, maybe if they really worked on it like MCU it'd work.

It's Hollywood.
What makes you think faithfulness is a factor at play here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

SpacePig posted:

You could probably make a pretty distinct contrast between joke Saitama and serious Saitama with lighting tricks, costume details and after affects. Joke Saitama has normal comedy movie lighting and a slightly baggy costume, and serious Saitama is heavily shadowed and has a better fitting costume.
This, and also camera angles, audio cues, potentially some voice edits. Maybe in extreme case even switching the actor out for a different actor? If LOTR can make Frodo look less than half the size of most humans with a little CGI and mostly smart camera angles and visual tricks, then you should be able to pull off a convincing switch between aloof/dead-serious, given an actor that can pull it off as well.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

And it already does the superhero movie thing of never saying the obvious superhero name despite it being in the title. I think there's a possible joke there.

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015
"One Punch Man", starring Jim Carrey Sean Bean

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm expecting Michael Rosenbaum

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Onepunchman
Starring Dwayne Johnson and Karl Pilkington as the title character.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

SpacePig posted:

You could probably make a pretty distinct contrast between joke Saitama and serious Saitama with lighting tricks, costume details and after affects. Joke Saitama has normal comedy movie lighting and a slightly baggy costume, and serious Saitama is heavily shadowed and has a better fitting costume.

Bisse posted:

This, and also camera angles, audio cues, potentially some voice edits. Maybe in extreme case even switching the actor out for a different actor? If LOTR can make Frodo look less than half the size of most humans with a little CGI and mostly smart camera angles and visual tricks, then you should be able to pull off a convincing switch between aloof/dead-serious, given an actor that can pull it off as well.

Literally none of this will happen and it will be a bad movie (if its real)

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Crain posted:

I don't really think a live action OPM is worth it though? I'm not really sure how you'd do the whole ONE style Saitama -> Murata style cool Saitama without just way too much CGI. But eh, maybe if they really worked on it like MCU it'd work.

I dunno, I think it could be like a Christopher Reeves Superman/Clark Kent thing, where a good enough actor could, through body language and facial expression, pull off the clear distinction between "everyday egg-face Saitama" and "serious business Saitama".

Edit: But yeah it's probably not going to be that, it's probably just going to be bad if it exists at all.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Onepunchman
Starring Dwayne Johnson and Karl Pilkington as the title character.

If they did this, I'd declare it the greatest movie ever made.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

El Burbo posted:

Literally none of this will happen and it will be a bad movie (if its real)

Well, are we talking about a western studio trying to make an anime movie again, like with that DBZ movie? Because yeah, that'd be bad. I could see a Japanese studio putting in some effort, though, and at the very least getting to feel of it right.

If anybody's gonna make a OPM movie, though, I think I'd like it to be directed by Stephen Chow. Looking it up, though, he was a producer on that DBZ movie, so who the gently caress knows?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bongo Bill posted:

And it already does the superhero movie thing of never saying the obvious superhero name despite it being in the title. I think there's a possible joke there.

"He beat that guy in one punch! He's like some kinda....One Punch Man!"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

SpacePig posted:

Well, are we talking about a western studio trying to make an anime movie again, like with that DBZ movie? Because yeah, that'd be bad. I could see a Japanese studio putting in some effort, though, and at the very least getting to feel of it right.

Have you seen the Death Note movies? Or Attack on Titan?? I bet you next year we'll be talking about how hilariously bad Full Metal Alchemist wound up.

I'd say this has potential, the core concept of One Punch Man seems simple enough to adapt for a feature length movie compared to all the other anime movies currently in production, I mean, regardless of studio this could still end up terrible, but some original script about Saitama being a bored and depressed super dude who takes the revenge-driven Genos as his pupil despite not wanting to and have to stop something should be simple enough to do.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I thought the Death Note movies were pretty well-regarded, actually.

Also, here's a cosplay from Fanime.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
A movie could be good but it probably won't.

Even then I can't think of a way for real life actors to seamlessly replicate the whole art shifting aspect.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Waffleman_ posted:

They definitely had a better ending than the original at least.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Japanese movies are bad

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Japanese movies are bad

Counterargument: Seven Samurai.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
there are far better Kurosawa films then seven samurai

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Fine, High and Low then.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Mystic Mongol posted:

Fine, The Hidden Fortress then.

Yeah, that one is a lot funnier, too.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, here's a cosplay from Fanime.

I for one appreciate One Punch Gran

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bad Seafood posted:

A movie could be good but it probably won't.

Even then I can't think of a way for real life actors to seamlessly replicate the whole art shifting aspect.

Lighting and costume changes. Saitama appears flat lit in sorta loose clothes, flattened face features via makeup with lovely posture and framed like hes in a comedy movie, then Bam out comes the Marvel Movie lighting, cap america physique, dutch angles and micheal bay action shots.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I just started watching the anime, and holy poo poo, Saitama losing his poo poo about missing bargain day at the supermarket had me rolling

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

http://mikatan.goodsmile.info/en/

Tatsumaki nendo also happening at some point

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Rurouni Kenshin live action (at least the first one) was also incredibly cheesy but enjoyable.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-07-01/max-mittleman-stars-in-one-punch-man-english-dub/.103848

Max Mittleman as Saitama
Zach Aguilar as Genos
Robbie Daymond as Mumen Rider
Erik Kimerer as Speed 'o' Sound Sonic

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Who the hell's doing the voice directing, and who are all of those people?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Max Mittelman has played King in Seven Deadly Sins, Ein in Iron-Blooded Orphans, and Leo, Forrest, and Kaden in FE Fates.

Zach Aguilar was Arthur Pendragon in SDS and Takaki in IBO.

Robbie Daymond is Smokey in Jojo, Tuxedo Mask in the Viz dub of Sailor Moon, and Issei in Unlimited Blade Works.

Erik Kimerer is Ryuji in Toradora and Biscuit in IBO.

Basically relative newbies, which is neat.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I still think kirk thornton/JYB is the ideal casting for saitama/genos but I'll see how this shakes out.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Max Mittelman has played King in Seven Deadly Sins, Ein in Iron-Blooded Orphans, and Leo, Forrest, and Kaden in FE Fates.

Zach Aguilar was Arthur Pendragon in SDS and Takaki in IBO.

Robbie Daymond is Smokey in Jojo, Tuxedo Mask in the Viz dub of Sailor Moon, and Issei in Unlimited Blade Works.

Erik Kimerer is Ryuji in Toradora and Biscuit in IBO.

Basically relative newbies, which is neat.

Haven't been keeping up with the anime scene much, but Leo and Kaden had some of the better voices in Fates so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean that cast is alright, but I wish the only person I was most familiar with that list wasn't the dude who voiced the main character of Accel World.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.facebook.com/Toonami/videos/1615457392078435/

Saitama sounds good.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Genos is the most JYB character since Space Dandy literally cast him as himself as emperor of half the universe, so it's kind of a shame the passed him over.

EDIT: That said, Saitama sounds alright, but I'll have to hear him longform.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 2, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I AM INSPIRED BY THE COSMOS!

*Plays the Galaga theme song*

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

I don't think I've ever been so glad to hear such an apathetic delivery from a voice actor. The other voices sound pretty good too.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

This actually seems like a pretty good dub. I'll probably end up watching this again. Maybe I can finally get my roommate to watch it, too.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I was hoping for Todd Haberkorn as Saitama

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah, I think he has just the right level of not giving a poo poo.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Count me in as cautiously optimistic. Mittelman's Saitama leaves a good first impression, but we'll see if that sticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

:barf: