Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
drat I love summer. Even after mowing the lawn and eating dinner I had enough to light to work. Dropped one tank halfway for a new fuel line, then planned the route, and eventually found space for two new filters, a selector valve, pump and another filter. Not that I had time or ambition to mount them, it can wait a day.

While I was attaching the fuel line to the pickup, I knocked a section of rusty sheet metal off of the corner about the size of a post it and was greeted by a sleeping wasp. I of course bumped it to confirm its life, then jumped and doused it with pb blaster, finally squishing it with a new pair of long reach needle nose pliers.

Later, while examining my new fuel route, laying under the oily transmission and oily transfer case and thinking about how they should get re-sealed next summer, I was dripped on. It was too thin to be oil so likely it was sweat coming out of my glove. Until 5 minutes later and another hit me, and I noticed a newly disrupted section of rubber hose that was dripping fuel from a vapor line.

I assembled my whole fuel selector filter pump assembly and checked out this new braided hose and poked the poo poo out of my thumb, so here I am back inside and clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Fixed the stupid german ground wiring.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Swapped the front rotors and pads in beater Vibe. They've only been sitting in my garage since I bought the thing in September. Yay no more shuddering under braking. Only took like an hour total since just once side was stuck requiring a run to the hardware store for the bolt/nut trick. Still need to bleed them and look at the drums in the rear since they're a little noisy, but ugh, drums.

Also helped a buddy install a new head unit in his new-to him minivan while ribbing him thoroughly.

I've got some C6 Z06 shocks sitting here for my C5, but I've been pretty sick so not sure if I'll get those installed this weekend or not.

opengl fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 25, 2016

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pulled the weirdest blown fuse I've ever seen.

It goes to my amplifier and it just stopped working one day. The funny thing is when it's in its holder it looked like it was okay because the bridge was still intact. Little fucker.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

um excuse me posted:

when it's in its holder it looked like it was okay because the bridge was still intact. Little fucker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdOPBP9vuZA&hd=1

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's because 99% of amplifier "fuses" are cheap pot-metal welded/soldered by child laborers to the end caps.

Looks like a classic "lovely welding" high-resistance connection. The lovely connection was higher impedance than the fuse itself!

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I just think it's funny how camouflaged it is with the cap in place. I'd probably be upset too if it was hard to figure out due to the look of it.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Just goes to show Amazon ratings aren't everything. The fuses in question:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002UB296/

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

um excuse me posted:

Just goes to show Amazon ratings aren't everything. The fuses in question:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002UB296/

:laugh:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I thought that those glass fuses in cars went out with lucas electrics?

Got my Aygo MOT'd yesterday. Easy pass once I bought 2 new front tyres.

Today I got through 2 tins of brake cleaner on the hubs and handbrake of my landrover which is due for its MOT next week. No leaky wheel cylinders or hub seals :) just a bit of adjustment needed and a bit of oil contamination to clean up on corner due to a slight free wheeling hub leak. Handbrake is still poo poo but now holds it on a slope so is hopefully not too poo poo for its test.
Also replaced the bulb on the back of the speedo which it needs for an MOT. Had to source the replacement bulb from a box of morris minor spares my dad had in his shed.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I changed out my tail lights.

Old

New

The car is actually white not grey.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Set out to do the C6 Z06 shocks on the C5, but only got the rears done. It was a right loving oval office, and the rears were supposed to be the easy ones. Was wiped out after 3 hours i the sun fighting them, so I'll do the fronts when I have time this week.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
No pics but I worked on my brand new $500 '84 s10. Speedometer was nonfunctional when I got it, pulled the cable from the transmission and found it was broken. Dicked around with the dash lights, have to go buy some bulbs. Put in some front shocks and sprayed the rears down with penetrating oil. Still got some body work to do before I can get it safetied and on the road.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Nubile Hillock posted:

Still got some body work to do before I can get it safetied and on the road.

Some body work? Unless that truck has spent its entire life in the southwest or in a climate controlled storage unit this is the understatement of the century.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Super productive but not impressive. Dropped both fuel tanks to install larger fuel lines and add return lines, a new fuel selector valve and fuel pump mounted but not wired, and hoses up to the throttle body installed. I think I'm done crawling around on the ground except for a few wires and replacing a bolt that sheared off for a fuel tank strap. Not excited to weld that on next to the tank but happy I have a Mig instead of my old stick welder.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
Took my new 944 in to the exhaust shop because of a leak. Turns out the PO tried to repair the cracked manifold with some putty, it was all original so it isn't a surprise something was broken.

So I decided while they're in there replace the rest of it. All new exhaust for my already expensive soon to be more expensive 944.

I also put on a nice new dizzy cap after I found 4 huge cracks in the one it had.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Remember how I got 2 flats a few weeks back, and wound up replacing all 4 tires?

Tire had around 2000 miles on it. Nail in the loving sidewall. :fuckoff: I expected to have to drop $11 on the road hazard certificate, but Discount told me that there's no charge if you use the road hazard within 90 days. That was a nice surprise. So was them getting me in and out in ~30 minutes, after another location told me they had a minimum 3 hour wait.

Still cost me a day of work though - didn't discover the flat tire until it was too late in the day to get it fixed.

Tomarse posted:

I thought that those glass fuses in cars went out with lucas electrics?

You run into them with amplifier install kits, usually the higher amperage stuff. The kit I used came with a (beefy) blade fuse, but it's meant for a single amp and has zero bling factor.

I've had a few of those lovely glass amp fuses come apart on me now, I don't trust them at all.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 28, 2016

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Last night i decided to try and adjust the LPG setup on the landy. The vaporiser has 2 unmarked adjustment screws and all the blurb says 'start with this screw x turns out and this one y turns out'.

So i decided to screw them in (while counting), mark it, and then screw t it back to where it was.

Half way though screwing them in (which you have to do upside down due to its position), a heavy shower hit and i started getting wet legs and it went dark, then the cat suddenly appeared and made me jump and I totally lost count of where i was. have put it back to the recommended starting position and now it wont start :(

some texas redneck posted:

You run into them with amplifier install kits, usually the higher amperage stuff. The kit I used came with a (beefy) blade fuse, but it's meant for a single amp and has zero bling factor.

I've had a few of those lovely glass amp fuses come apart on me now, I don't trust them at all.

The bling boy racer amp install kits that I used in my vehicles (They are cheap and easy!) have blade fuse holders in

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Geoj posted:

Some body work? Unless that truck has spent its entire life in the southwest or in a climate controlled storage unit this is the understatement of the century.

The previous owner kept a cap on it so the box is minty, the floor pans, rockers and cab corners were replaced like 8 years ago. There's only a few fist sized rust holes near the back of the cab.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Tomarse posted:

Last night i decided to try and adjust the LPG setup on the landy. The vaporiser has 2 unmarked adjustment screws and all the blurb says 'start with this screw x turns out and this one y turns out'.

So i decided to screw them in (while counting), mark it, and then screw t it back to where it was.

Half way though screwing them in (which you have to do upside down due to its position), a heavy shower hit and i started getting wet legs and it went dark, then the cat suddenly appeared and made me jump and I totally lost count of where i was. have put it back to the recommended starting position and now it wont start :(

I was pretty sure you passed out from gas poisoning from first read.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Pulled out the stupid broken speedo cable today! 45 seconds of removing cable and like, at least 35 minutes trying to get the stupid cable clip off.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Installed a new set of Yaris coil on plugs to replace my hosed and dead and old oem Nissan coil packs. Deleting the factory system entirely and no retune required!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Fuel pump, wired! Selector valve, mostly wired! Two less reasons to crawl under the truck, complete. I need to power the switch for the selector valve, and finish the sensor wire for the relay and those parts will be actually finished. Also checked the throttle cable situation and it's looking good. The pedal will have a bit more travel is all.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Finished up clay barring and waxing the s2k. Grabbed a couple quick pics once I remembered my camera needs a memory card.

s2k-0003 by John Gallup, on Flickr

s2k-0001 by John Gallup, on Flickr

The wax I used was a bitch to get off but the car looks absolutely amazing.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddsMuJne8RQ

Made my trailer hitch skull better.

chicagobutters
Sep 7, 2015
2011 e90 with 25k miles: Over the past three weeks there were very long cranks with a very rough idle for the first minute or less if the engine was cold, fine otherwise. After no codes were thrown, I unplugged the Mass Airflow Sensor and on the next cold start the car was back to normal. Didn't necessarily mean it was isolated to the MAF but helped cross of the unrelated issues. Spent :10bux: to buy some CRC Mass Airflow Sensor cleaner and extremely happy to say that's all it needed. Cars been great otherwise.

Really thankful for the internet and car forums like this to help average Joe's like me point me in the right direction!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Got into my car (2001 Ford Laser) on Thursday night and heard a large bang from it. Thought that was strange a car seat going bang, I drove home, with the cushion on the front left starting to fall away. Sadly it was raining that night and had to wait till Friday night to check the seat

That don't look good. One of the parts that lifts or lowers the seat cushion at the front had totally snapped off.

Since the Ford Laser is a rebadge Mazda 323, I was able to get my hands on a Mazda 323 SP20 driver's seat on Saturday morning from a Mazda wreckers

Starting to strip down the SP20 driver's seat. Sadly the fabric did not match the Laser's, so I had to strip the seat down to its frame. Thankfully it was a relatively easy job, and could be done by one person (so lonely).

Who would thunk that a dining table would be so useful for stripping car seats on. The replacement bottom seat frame ready for me to put on my car seat

Seat belt connector thingo bolted back onto the replacement frame, along with the cushion.

Back rest bolted back on, plastic trim kinda put back into the seat (some of it cracked, ah well) and seat back in car. Success!

Also got a replacement gear knob (left) to replace the grotty crap plastic one that Ford put on their cars (right)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Don't ya just love badge engineering - there are always just enough unique parts to make everything much more difficult/expensive than it would have been on the original (try not to break any lights)

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Finished the suspension swap and put the front C6 Z06 shocks on the C5. Which ended up taking less than half the time the rears did, though they were supposedly going to be the difficult side.

Out for a ride and its definitely noticeably nicer. Doesn't bounce around in the rear if you hit a bump mid corner, and just feels more composed in general. Hell of an upgrade for $135.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Had a look at my landrover rear lights which have never worked properly.

This is part of the reason why they don't work:

Oh look, they are sealed connections...

This is probably authentic mud from the gulf war. Its like cement.

I'm going to pull a new cable through the chassis if I can manage it. I dragged the slack out of the existing one after cutting all that poo poo off and the insulation is worn through in places, which would be why my lights never came on and it would just blow fuses all the time.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Killin' it today, drilled a hole in the firewall for the ECU, laid the wire all around and I'm cleaning it up.

Need to:
Weld stud for fuel tank bracket since I sheared the old one off, then secure the tank properly and reconnect inlet
Tie off old gas tank vent lines
Connect vacuum lines/ tie off vacuum lines.
Finish wiring connections, like 6 to go.
Wire switch to increase idle at will
Add coolant (takes 4 gallons :()
omg start it?
set timing
Wire loom things to make it look nice
Then I can start data logging for the tune I think.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Got my speedo hooked up finally, a lot easier than I had thought it would be. Less finagling to get it in than getting it out. Switched out all the old dash bulbs and got the CEL and BUCKLE BELT lights working.

Went to work on the rear shocks...and holy poo poo was that an unpleasant job. They're likely from the mid 90s, one of the lugs was changed out for a bolt mounted in the wrong way so that it was a gigantic PITA to get out as the bolt jammed itself against the shackle mounts when I was undoing it. That's after I used a 4ft cheater to break the decades of rust. Then I moved onto the top bolts. I figured I'd hit them with an impact from below but I couldn't fit any impact bits in there. One broken wrench later and I did a terrible thing that I'd never consider doing on anything other than a $500 truck with probably 2 years left in its life ....

bang, done!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Took the jeep from two to fourteen tweeters. Still needs a subwoofer and better rear speakers, but it's getting there.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Krakkles posted:

Took the jeep from two to fourteen tweeters. Still needs a subwoofer and better rear speakers, but it's getting there.
I'm curious. That is a lot of tweeters.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He didn't actually add any speakers, he just crashed through a birdhouse.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Lowclock posted:

I'm curious. That is a lot of tweeters.
I cheated:

PYLE PLTWVS 6-Way Sunvisor Mount 200 Watt Tweeter System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000687Y6Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_PytExb02KM29A

They sound a lot better than I expected, especially at that price point. Added quite a bit of volume.

Rhyno posted:

He didn't actually add any speakers, he just crashed through a birdhouse.

Also I like this answer.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

dissss posted:

Don't ya just love badge engineering - there are always just enough unique parts to make everything much more difficult/expensive than it would have been on the original (try not to break any lights)

I broke one of the fog lights on the Laser.

Those things are rocking horse poo levels of rarity. Managed to get one, but I have the feeling if the car has a front end shunt that the insurance company is going to write it off due its unique bumper and lights

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Last 30 hours:

Bought it:

Adjusted valves:

Replaced:

Passenger side CV axle
Passenger side tie rod end
Front brake pads
All interior lights
Front indicators
Rear indicators
Brake light bulbs
Spark plugs
(Air filter, plug wires, brand new)

Ran injector cleaner through it
Cleaned the exterior

And tonight after it starts getting dark I'm going to finish up by checking the timing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w4WlTwp3I8

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Tomarse posted:

I'm going to pull a new cable through the chassis if I can manage it. I dragged the slack out of the existing one after cutting all that poo poo off and the insulation is worn through in places, which would be why my lights never came on and it would just blow fuses all the time.

I'd suggest just taking your loom / cable on top of the chassis, then if you need to do any cutting and welding on your chassis it's trivial to keep the wire safe. I did this on my 90 and haven't seen any ill effects so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Colonel K posted:

I'd suggest just taking your loom / cable on top of the chassis, then if you need to do any cutting and welding on your chassis it's trivial to keep the wire safe. I did this on my 90 and haven't seen any ill effects so far.

Thought about it, but I cant get it on the top of the chassis at the back because of how the rear body is built.

I have pulled it through now, and once I had removed the tangle at one end of the old loom where there was about 2 foot of slack tangled round a cross brace it was surprisingly easy. Its only 8 core trailer wire now so replacing it again if i need to should be easy and cheap. I've only got rust on the front and rear cross members as far as I can tell - so this shouldn't affect my loom.