Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
Is it still (or, was it ever) best practice for deployment to run a server like NGINX to handle static file serving and act as a proxy to the app server(s)? I've been Googling for awhile and that sounds like a standard way of deploying an app, but many of the source I've found are from years ago. Is there a better way of doing it these days?

For context, the front-end is written in React,js, and the number of files served will likely be small (index.html, bundle.js, css, and maybe a few images). The back-end is a Node server that runs some calculations based on user input. I doubt our user base would ever be large enough to necessitate load balancing, but it would be nice to have that option available. Part of what makes a proxy attractive to me is that we'd be able to separate our back-end into discrete servers that handle different calculation types, or different features of the app. I like when things are modular. It makes me feel good.

Also, I've read some things that hint at that using a proxy to the back-end is more secure than hard-coding an IP in requests, or having a publicly-available URL. What, specifically, would hiding the IP address(es) behind a proxy accomplish in terms of security?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
my app servers only have routes for handling/rendering actual requests, they don't serve static files. i use nginx for a different location /assets {} block, ssl/tls termination, rate limiting requests by route, and (rarely) l7 http flood protection with testcookie

app servers listen on >1024 ports as non root in the first placeinstead of dropping privileges, 80/443 via nginx

i've done more or less seamless migrations by just adding the new server to a backends array in nginx then downing the old machine (nginx gets connection refused on app1, tries app2, serves response from app2 to client), or proxying a new machine from the old one

Impotence fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 19, 2016

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

LargeHadron posted:

Is it still (or, was it ever) best practice for deployment to run a server like NGINX to handle static file serving and act as a proxy to the app server(s)? I've been Googling for awhile and that sounds like a standard way of deploying an app, but many of the source I've found are from years ago. Is there a better way of doing it these days?

For context, the front-end is written in React,js, and the number of files served will likely be small (index.html, bundle.js, css, and maybe a few images). The back-end is a Node server that runs some calculations based on user input. I doubt our user base would ever be large enough to necessitate load balancing, but it would be nice to have that option available. Part of what makes a proxy attractive to me is that we'd be able to separate our back-end into discrete servers that handle different calculation types, or different features of the app. I like when things are modular. It makes me feel good.

Also, I've read some things that hint at that using a proxy to the back-end is more secure than hard-coding an IP in requests, or having a publicly-available URL. What, specifically, would hiding the IP address(es) behind a proxy accomplish in terms of security?

Yes, using a proxy is very common, and can (note the "can") be more secure. It's not so much hiding the IP of the backend, it's the "the back end is only accessible from the front end IP" that helps. The added bonus of modularity is icing on the cake, and well worth the mild hassle of setting it up.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Lumpy posted:

Yes, using a proxy is very common, and can (note the "can") be more secure. It's not so much hiding the IP of the backend, it's the "the back end is only accessible from the front end IP" that helps. The added bonus of modularity is icing on the cake, and well worth the mild hassle of setting it up.

What is the security benefit of having the back end only accessible from the front end server? I believe you that it can be more secure, I'm just not savvy when it comes to this sort of thing.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Said back end server is not getting port scanned and probed all the time directly by not having a publicly facing ip. Can work with ddos mitigation as well though I wouldn't set up that arrangement for it solely.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Csixtyfour posted:

I have a [complicated problem], how do I begin?
Post for help and list the following:
Your Skill Level----Rookie
Any necessary project requirements ( languages / frameworks ) Bootstrap

Using Slider Revolution jQuery 5.0 in bootstrap, how/can I curve text? Tried everything I found from googling, but nothing works, the radius of the text always stays the same. I just wanted a slight upwards arch in the text on one layer of the the slider.

This seems like what you're looking for. Haven't tried it myself.

http://tympanus.net/codrops/2012/01/24/arctext-js-curving-text-with-css3-and-jquery/

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I don't know what "slider revolution" is but if I wanted to draw curved text without bringing in a bunch of dependencies I'd use svg:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Web/SVG/Element/textPath

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Anybody going to the An Event Apart conference in D.C. this year? I convinced my boss to let me go on the company's dime. It'll be my first time going to a dev conference of any sort. Getting a few days off work to just mess around with code can't be a bad thing.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Just clicked through COBOL... is there really no Drupal thread? I have an upcoming project that's going to use it and I haven't touched the thing since Drupal 6. The new templating engine seems pretty baller.

If anyone has any opinions or must read articles, send 'em my way. I'm just starting to wrap my brain around it again.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
What tools would you recommend for someone wanting to stand up a simple microsite quickly? I know about square space and wordpress - is there anything else I should look at?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

dexter6 posted:

What tools would you recommend for someone wanting to stand up a simple microsite quickly? I know about square space and wordpress - is there anything else I should look at?

Squarespace is really all you should look at unless you have the budget to pay someone to do it for you. Most of the other make-your-own-website tools still deliver atrocious results.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The Dave posted:

The next time I have an email project I want to try this out: https://mjml.io/

Oh hey I've been looking for a better way to do HTML emails for a while now and I'm going to give this a shot. My job uses internal distribution lists that we aren't allowed to share with any third party tool because ~reasons~ which rules out Mailchimp and the like, this thing looks like it might save me a lot of time.

dexter6 posted:

Seconding Squarespace as your best bet. WordPress is a fine option but it's a little more involved to get set up and definitely takes longer to produce a decent looking website.

The benefits of WordPress are that it can be a lot cheaper and there's way less limitations to what you can do. Squarespace's basic plan is like $150/year which isn't too bad though.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

my bony fealty posted:

Oh hey I've been looking for a better way to do HTML emails for a while now and I'm going to give this a shot. My job uses internal distribution lists that we aren't allowed to share with any third party tool because ~reasons~ which rules out Mailchimp and the like, this thing looks like it might save me a lot of time.

Seconding Squarespace as your best bet. WordPress is a fine option but it's a little more involved to get set up and definitely takes longer to produce a decent looking website.

The benefits of WordPress are that it can be a lot cheaper and there's way less limitations to what you can do. Squarespace's basic plan is like $150/year which isn't too bad though.

Plus with WordPress, you get to learn all about security the hard way!

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Github pages is a great option if you're just doing html and javascript.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I'm doing a dumb email template in Mailchimp. I thought it would be mostly straightforward but they want a menu at the top like:

code:
Meet the Team         Services            We suck          Get in touch
Any ideas how to do this in Mailchimp and make it responsive? I could add a code block and hard-code a table, but that isn't responsive. You can't do media queries in emails right?

e: oh I guess you can do media queries. I suppose this will work?
http://templates.mailchimp.com/development/responsive-email/responsive-column-layouts/

e2: Wait, none of the Mailchimp template drag-and-drop blocks are responsive? They are all fixed at 600px. The whole point of switching from Constant Contact to Mailchimp was to get their emails looking better on mobile. Oops!

fuf fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jun 30, 2016

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Media queries work but you always need to work down to mobile rather than up because you need to cater for non media query having email clients first, and that honour is bestowed among the desktop clients.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is it possible to do a border effect like these just with CSS and without adding any extra container / inner elements (the box is just a single div)?

1)

2)

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

fuf posted:

Is it possible to do a border effect like these just with CSS and without adding any extra container / inner elements (the box is just a single div)?

1)

2)

Very likely
https://css-tricks.com/snippets/css/multiple-borders/

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

I've been reading and doing some courses through Pluralsight and I see a lot of ASP.net 5/Core courses on there.

Is it worth delving into the land of ASP.net? Or will this just complicate everything?

I have a decent (functional) background in C# and it seems the asp.net method is some C#/html/js hybrid.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

ModeSix posted:

I've been reading and doing some courses through Pluralsight and I see a lot of ASP.net 5/Core courses on there.

Is it worth delving into the land of ASP.net? Or will this just complicate everything?

I have a decent (functional) background in C# and it seems the asp.net method is some C#/html/js hybrid.

"Worth" in what sense? I don't know your background or your goal. But I'm an ASP.NET developer. It's an easy job and it pays well. Jobs in the Microsoft world tend to be consistent and they don't change technologies as rapidly or dramatically as the open source world. But if you were specifically looking to get into working for startups, it's not going to be your best choice.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Zero The Hero posted:

"Worth" in what sense? I don't know your background or your goal. But I'm an ASP.NET developer. It's an easy job and it pays well. Jobs in the Microsoft world tend to be consistent and they don't change technologies as rapidly or dramatically as the open source world. But if you were specifically looking to get into working for startups, it's not going to be your best choice.

Talking mostly about complexity to learn as opposed to straight angular development using a code editor instead of what appears to be a full ecosystem.

I've been doing a bit of work in it the psst couple days and it seems intriguing.

What would he a reason to go this route rather than sticking to using something like brackets as a simple code editor?

What does the asp. Net ecosystem bring to the table that really will make me want to do it?

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

ModeSix posted:

What does the asp. Net ecosystem bring to the table that really will make me want to do it?

Nothing except jobs.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Chenghiz posted:

Nothing except jobs.

Good reason by itself.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ModeSix posted:

Good reason by itself.

Well, not really. There's lots of things you can learn to get jobs. ASP.NET is one of the things...but is it the one you find interesting enough to want to work in?

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Well, not really. There's lots of things you can learn to get jobs. ASP.NET is one of the things...but is it the one you find interesting enough to want to work in?

From what I am seeing so far, it looks quite good/interesting.

I'm finding that a lot of the tools are self contained and for things like API/REST services it's already there, there's no need to rely on 3rd party libraries.

It also plays well with things like AngularJS, Bootstrap and has native TypeScript support. I don't have to mess about with all sorts of 3rd party solutions to do basic things. These are on the plus side for me. But it also lets you use the 3rd party solutions if you want to integrate them into the existing ecosystem.

Keeping perspective, I'm only a couple of hours into exploring it, so I may find things I absolutely hate about it.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

ModeSix posted:

Keeping perspective, I'm only a couple of hours into exploring it, so I may find things I absolutely hate about it.

WebForms. :v:

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Thanks dude, his box-shadow method worked great :)

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I just started doing some work for an asp.net outfit and for what it's worth I found it a lot easier to get up and running with ASP.net MVC than I ever did with django, rails etc. Like ModeSix says, you basically just install Visual Studio (free Community edition) and you're set.

I haven't had to do any WebForms stuff luckily, and the new MVC stuff is all very familiar if you know MVC conventions.

I was mildly annoyed to be moving back to a Windows dev environment after being in linux for so long, but Visual Studio is powerful enough that I'm actually rethinking my "do everything in vim" habits :v:

fuf fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 4, 2016

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

fuf posted:

I just started doing some work for an asp.net outfit and for what it's worth I found it a lot easier to get up and running with ASP.net MVC than I ever did with django, rails etc. Like ModeSix says, you basically just install Visual Studio (free Community edition) and you're set.

I haven't had to do any WebForms stuff luckily, and the new MVC stuff is all very familiar if you know MVC conventions.

I was mildly annoyed to be moving back to a Windows dev environment after being in linux for so long, but Visual Studio is powerful enough that I'm actually rethinking my "do everything in vim" habits :v:

Apparently with ASP.net Core you can do everything on Linux or MacOSX now, you're not forced into the Windows aquasystem. (Not sure why I called it that, but it seems to work for me).

VS Code is cross-platform and so is the ASP.net Core SDK. You just drop in a C# plugin into VS Code and you're off and running. You have to use the command-line to run the dotnet commands such as restore and build, but that's easy.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

fuf posted:

just install Visual Studio (free Community edition) and you're set.

Microsoft still insist on complicated licensing arrangements, the "free" edition can never just be "free":

quote:

An unlimited number of users within an organization can use Visual Studio Community for the following scenarios: in a classroom learning environment, for academic research, or for contributing to open source projects.

For all other usage scenarios:
In non-enterprise organizations, up to five users can use Visual Studio Community. In enterprise organizations (meaning those with >250 PCs or >$1 Million US Dollars in annual revenue), no use is permitted beyond the open source, academic research, and classroom learning environment scenarios described above.
https://www.visualstudio.com/products/visual-studio-community-vs

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

MrMoo posted:

Microsoft still insist on complicated licensing arrangements, the "free" edition can never just be "free":

https://www.visualstudio.com/products/visual-studio-community-vs

In all fairness, if your revenue is more than a million or you have more than 250 workstations, you should be paying for your software/production tooling anyways. No?

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 4, 2016

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

All other things being equal (I know they're not) Visual Studio is a pretty good reason to be an asp developer. Just hopefully never have to worry about third party dependencies and 32/64 compatibility because dang that's a mess.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

All other things being equal (I know they're not) Visual Studio is a pretty good reason to be an asp developer. Just hopefully never have to worry about third party dependencies and 32/64 compatibility because dang that's a mess.

I have to say the intellisense is quite nice. Though I'm used to that for C#/Unity things.

I haven't tried to do anything with 3rd party libraries yet, though I intend to try and shoehorn in Bootstrap and Angular eventually, though with the ASP.Net Core functionality would I really need Angular?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

ModeSix posted:

I have to say the intellisense is quite nice. Though I'm used to that for C#/Unity things.

I haven't tried to do anything with 3rd party libraries yet, though I intend to try and shoehorn in Bootstrap and Angular eventually, though with the ASP.Net Core functionality would I really need Angular?

I guess that depends what you are trying to build. ASP.Net Core MVC is still doing server side rendering, if you want SPA like responsiveness you still need something to do that (Angular, React, jQuery, etc). And you'll need Bootstrap (or some other widget/styling library), unless you like doing your own CSS from scratch.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

ModeSix posted:

I was referring to more binary dependencies. For example I was doing a web forms project (blech) back in.. 2010 maybe? that used an external FTP component DLL that would "live" in one place in the GAC depending on if the OS was running 32x or 64x (and NOT the compile target of the project). Things like that. If you're doing pure web server stuff it'll probably never come up.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Iron mode: Use SharePoint as your database solution in a high volume ASP.NET MVC application.
Iron mode+: Make sure you store large binary files in a list in the same database.
Iron mode++: Replace MVC with Webforms.
Iron mode+++: Replace vanilla ASP.NET Webforms with DNN Webform Modules.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Skandranon posted:

I guess that depends what you are trying to build. ASP.Net Core MVC is still doing server side rendering, if you want SPA like responsiveness you still need something to do that (Angular, React, jQuery, etc). And you'll need Bootstrap (or some other widget/styling library), unless you like doing your own CSS from scratch.

You could always have ASP.Net handle only a set of API endpoints and have the front-end handle rendering and application state.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Pollyanna posted:

You could always have ASP.Net handle only a set of API endpoints and have the front-end handle rendering and application state.

Most Angular SPAs are done with static asset serving and WebAPI2 to handle REST routes, though I have not looked much into using ASP.Net for pre-rendering the initial page load.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

I personally feel that the Microsoft world is more stable. A lot of developers were able to move from classic ASP to ASP.NET Webforms to ASP.NET MVC without significant personal investment outside of their jobs. I don't know if the same was really true for those using PHP, Ruby on Rails, Python/Django, etc.. I've always felt that the open source world is a lot more volatile, and while that allows for more cutting edge technologies and techniques, it requires devs to be a bit more proactive in staying on top of technologies.

Also, getting to stay in one IDE between every job is a huge benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Skandranon posted:

I thought the last version of MVC came practically bundled with an Angular-based frontend project? I know I have one set up that started with nothing other than a project template, but I don't remember if it was included in the install or if it's something I added. Either way, it was five minutes work to set up a project that has an ASP.NET Web API backend and an Angular frontend (and I thought there was a similar MVC one).