Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Jellico was an rear end in a top hat who raised some seriously good points. Though I think he went about it in the wrong way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Jellico > Nechayev

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BattleMaster posted:

Was there a reason they made Deanna half-human when her full-Betazoid mom acts more human than she does?
My guess is a Full Betazoid with The Sum Totality of Their Psychic Powers would go back to that poster saying it would solve all the plot.

And also probably a carryover from Spock, maybe a way to bridge early Data's quest for humanity as well
"As a HALF HUMAN I've also pondered the importance of blahbhhhhhh"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
"As a half human, I have always pondered the importance of CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE IMZADI MY FEELINGS CAPTAIN MY MOTHER IS HERE"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FilthyImp posted:

My guess is a Full Betazoid with The Sum Totality of Their Psychic Powers would go back to that poster saying it would solve all the plot.

And also probably a carryover from Spock, maybe a way to bridge early Data's quest for humanity as well
"As a HALF HUMAN I've also pondered the importance of blahbhhhhhh"

Troi never really went for the "torn between two worlds" thing, though. Yeah, her Betazoid powers were kind of gimped by her human half, but she didn't really fret about that.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Her mom let Kirsten Dunst drown down at the swimmin' hollar.

onymous
May 20, 2007

I am fantastically poisonous
holy poo poo 76 pages on voyager huh

anyone remember the episode where seven of nine space-wrestles the rock? Or the "saurians" - dinosaurs from earth who had mastered interstellar space travel apparently? yup that was canon. The series sure made some ... interesting choices.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Roddenberry never considered Star Trek V canon. Voyager can be considered apocryphal like Star Wars EU. And this time nerds wouldn't be butt hurt about it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

onymous posted:

pffffft lol no, any trek thread will meander into other trek series. sometimes other space series entirely.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

onymous posted:

anyone remember the episode where seven of nine space-wrestles the rock? Or the "saurians" - dinosaurs from earth who had mastered interstellar space travel apparently? yup that was canon. The series sure made some ... interesting choices.

how about the time when jason alexander played the leader of the spacenerd super-consultants? man, voyager was 90s as gently caress

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Automatic Slim posted:

Roddenberry never considered Star Trek V canon. Voyager can be considered apocryphal like Star Wars EU. And this time nerds wouldn't be butt hurt about it.

star trek 5 is a better movie than most of the TNG movies. sad

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

star trek 5 is a better movie than most of the TNG movies. sad

Maybe not better, but it definitely stands out as something memorable in its awfulness. TNG movies (except First Contact) are just awfully bland.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I hope until he dies, every trek series ends with it being a holodeck program of a progressively older and fatter Jonathan Frakes

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

big black turnout posted:

I hope until he dies, every trek series ends with it being a holodeck program of a progressively older and fatter Jonathan Frakes

I just hope that's what happens when I die.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
frake's bloated form looks down upon my corpse, a single tear running down his cheek

he leans in close, his mobility scooter groaning under the strain and he whispers into my dead ear

computer; end simulation

a man plays the bagpipes and at last i am at rest

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I just hope that's what happens when I die.

Consciousness begins. I am alive! Overwhelmed by every new sensation, I simply gaze in wonder at the world that has birthed me, trying to distinguish between my senses. I see a smoke-filled room. I can feel a smooth fabric covering my body. And... there's a buzzing sound in my ears. Or is that a whirring? Where is that coming from? A bloated old man slides into view. Three gravity-assist belts joined end to end encircle his enormous waist. A name pops into my head from somewhere: Baron Harkonnen? No, he's not royalty; he's wearing some kind of uniform. He's staring intently in my direction, a look of anger or contempt on his face. No, not anger. It's hard to read his emotions with the skin stretched so tight over his melon head. Is that avarice, or..?

"Computer..."

Oh God...

"Now that is truly exceptional..."

No...

"But more sultry..."

I welcome oblivion. My last thought is sympathy for my replacement.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Aaronicon posted:

frake's bloated form looks down upon my corpse, a single tear running down his cheek

he leans in close, his mobility scooter groaning under the strain and he whispers into my dead ear

computer; end simulation

a man plays the bagpipes and at last i am at rest

I don't often laugh out loud at internet things, but, uh, this did it

:perfect:

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
why are the TNG season 3 uniforms so ill fitting? Everyone looks like they rolled out of bed after an 8 hour binge

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost
The early-season uniforms were single-piece pajamas that looked smooth (because they were sized too small) but hurt their backs. The actors complained enough to get more comfortable two-piece uniforms in later seasons.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I liked the uniforms they only had for one episode of Voyager, that looked like normal Starfleet design but were dark gray with white shoulders. They looked very sharp.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bitter Mushroom posted:

why are the TNG season 3 uniforms so ill fitting? Everyone looks like they rolled out of bed after an 8 hour binge
Not sure if they had switched over to the coat top design by then. The originals were made out of the Fabric of the Future! (Spandex) and in addition to being so I'll fitting that Patrick Stewart was told by his doctors that he would suffer permanent nerve damage from them, they stank to high heaven.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

criscodisco posted:

I liked the uniforms they only had for one episode of Voyager, that looked like normal Starfleet design but were dark gray with white shoulders. They looked very sharp.

I think those were the flight uniforms from Drive, season 7 episode 3.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Watched "Scorpion" today, which is that two-parter that introduces Seven.

Whoever mentioned lazy writing before had it spot on. The two-parter starts with a huge dilemma; they need to go through Borg space and there's absolutely no way around. Their options are to find a safe way through, or turn around and settle down on a planet. Janeway ends up making a crazy alliance with the Borg in exchange for safe passage through their space. It's the impetus for the entire plot.

The two-parter ends with Seven attempting to assimilate the ship. Chakotay and Janeway, having anticipated this, do some psychic Borg poo poo and shut her down.

The next episode opens with an offhanded "herp derp, going through Borg space, haven't seen any Borg ships." Why did they build up how there was no way they could make it through Borg space unaided, and then immediately just abandon that idea?

Oh right... lazy writers.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Well that and you'd have to remember what happened last week to appreciate it. I dunno what super brain you have, but TV viewers don't have it. - every producer until the sopranos came out.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
They don't have that excuse because DS9 was already doing serialized stories when Voyager premiered.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Good Voyagers: the one where they wake up a race of cryogenically frozen Those Fuckers and a coalition of the willing nukes them from orbit, the one where they try to get back a Federation probe loaded with the plans to all the good poo poo and Ensign Ricky never gets to finish his ship in a bottle because he's super dead.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

plushpuffin posted:

I think those were the flight uniforms from Drive, season 7 episode 3.

Why on earth did they have special "competing in a race" uniforms

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Wowbagger2004 posted:

Why on earth did they have special "competing in a race" uniforms

Because it's cool.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

Volcott posted:

Good Voyagers: the one where they wake up a race of cryogenically frozen Those Fuckers and a coalition of the willing nukes them from orbit, the one where they try to get back a Federation probe loaded with the plans to all the good poo poo and Ensign Ricky never gets to finish his ship in a bottle because he's super dead.

Dragon's Teeth and Friendship One.

And no, I didn't have to look up the names.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

A Fancy Bloke posted:

They don't have that excuse because DS9 was already doing serialized stories when Voyager premiered.

I seem to recall reading that the writers said "yeah, we'll wrap this up in a few episodes" and then dragged it on forever. And good on them. Berman said gently caress it, and started voyager

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Volcott posted:

Good Voyagers: the one where they try to get back a Federation probe loaded with the plans to all the good poo poo and Ensign Ricky never gets to finish his ship in a bottle because he's super dead.

Sorry but this is wrong. This is actually a terrible moralizing episode about why the Prime Directive is super duper important and the aliens are dumb as poo poo.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

onymous posted:

Nah. Saurians were those awesome red salamanders that had great brandy. You're thinking of the Voth which are as stupid as you described.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Watched "Scorpion" today, which is that two-parter that introduces Seven.

Whoever mentioned lazy writing before had it spot on. The two-parter starts with a huge dilemma; they need to go through Borg space and there's absolutely no way around. Their options are to find a safe way through, or turn around and settle down on a planet. Janeway ends up making a crazy alliance with the Borg in exchange for safe passage through their space. It's the impetus for the entire plot.

The two-parter ends with Seven attempting to assimilate the ship. Chakotay and Janeway, having anticipated this, do some psychic Borg poo poo and shut her down.

The next episode opens with an offhanded "herp derp, going through Borg space, haven't seen any Borg ships." Why did they build up how there was no way they could make it through Borg space unaided, and then immediately just abandon that idea?

Oh right... lazy writers.

They dumped Kes, the character with the most potential and replaced her with 7 of 9 in order to change up the show. They used Kes to be the laziest deus ex ever to fly past Borg space (the other most interesting thing the writers could've explored). Kes "evolves" to a higher plane only to come back as a bitter old women that can psychically blow up the ship (all cleaned and repaired by next week).

So you can give us 2 seasons of the Kazon but you got to jettison Star Trek's most enigmatic and frightening villain because they want to make Kes space Moses?

Yep.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 22, 2022

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I mean it's not like they did anything good with the Borg in future episodes so it may have been a blessing they handwaved that danger away

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Ronald Moore did the cylons really well, at least for the first couple of seasons of BSG. Very reminiscent of the early Borg episodes. They were a terrifying, invincible mystery.
As soon as they took the alienness out of them (Borg Queen) they became bland just like every other alien.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Automatic Slim posted:

Ronald Moore did the cylons really well, at least for the first couple of seasons of BSG. Very reminiscent of the early Borg episodes. They were a terrifying, invincible mystery.
As soon as they took the alienness out of them (Borg Queen) they became bland just like every other alien.

Would have been better if the Borg were effectively killed in First Contact, leaving Voyager to encounter ships full of confused cyborgs. Hell, make it a plot point that Janeway feels obligated to help them when she finds out that it was Starfleet that effectively destroyed their society.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Sunswipe posted:

Would have been better if the Borg were effectively killed in First Contact, leaving Voyager to encounter ships full of confused cyborgs. Hell, make it a plot point that Janeway feels obligated to help them when she finds out that it was Starfleet that effectively destroyed their society.

Hey! They started it!

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

How many Voyager threads have there been? This is the second I know of and what gets me are the dozens of more compelling ideas like the one you just spitballed than what they came up with in 7 years by paid writers.

At least Voyager could've had the decency to have been awful. It was just too bland to be interesting.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I would have been more interested in seeing a Borg boyfriend than a hologram Irish boyfriend, when they decided it was time for Janeway to take a lover. Does Borg jizz have nanobots in it line 7 of 9's does? Would it assimilate Janeway's cast iron cooze?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
I mean, Janeway? The leader of a race of do-anything combat robots who just gently caress around the Delta doing whatever they feel like to serve their at times confused and stupid goals? No, no I can't see it at all.