Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I'd be fine with Unicorn had it just been the Unicorn mode with a transforming head. the rest of it is objectively a clusterfuck in destroy mode and just breaks up the silhouette in ways that distract from the form entirely. I hated it from the moment I saw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I don't think objectively means what you think it does.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I stand with the pro-Unicorn bloc.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
You either love it or you hate it. Personally I think it's alright.

I did some serious masking today and it went super well. One bit was ~.5mm off, but in the right direction that I can just try it again. The stuff needs a second coat anyway and then because it's metallic I want it to have a gloss coat compared to the matte of everything else so it's gonna need masking for that too!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So any kits that haven't been announced yet but are highly likely to happen that you're particularly hyped for? For me, it's the 1/100 Graze Ein. Not least because it will be loving huge.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
After how badly Neo Zeong did, I don't think Bandai's particularly willing to try crazy big stuff.

Anyway MG X Divider and MG V2 Assault Buster are both inevitable. I just have to wait.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

RE100 Xi, Penelope, and Dendrobiahahahahahahahaaha.

First two will probably happen though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

By the way, it looks like BTF's back in the game. They've announced a RG GN Sword IV and a RG Red Frame Custom accessory pack.

The RG GN Sword IV has a lot more gimmicks than their older 1/100 did. Kind of strange, but why not I guess.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

By the way, it looks like BTF's back in the game. They've announced a RG GN Sword IV and a RG Red Frame Custom accessory pack.

The RG GN Sword IV has a lot more gimmicks than their older 1/100 did. Kind of strange, but why not I guess.

Pics of said BTF add-ons:

We got something else as well. Don't know the maker yet, but here's a conversion add-on for a MG Avalanche Exia:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Yawgmoft posted:

I stand with the pro-Unicorn bloc.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

After how badly Neo Zeong did, I don't think Bandai's particularly willing to try crazy big stuff.

Anyway MG X Divider and MG V2 Assault Buster are both inevitable. I just have to wait.

The Graze Ein would only be about 9 inches tall in 1/100 scale. On the large size, but smaller than the Nightingale even in height, and with much less bulk. It's not necessarily likely, but it's possible.

My hope is still for a Kapool, and maybe a Spinner Rodi but... not betting money on it.

If the Rouei is still in use in season 2, it seems likely to get a kit. One of only two suits in IBO that doesn't have one, after all, and the Spinner Rodi, much as I love it, made the GM II look like the Turn X. The Rouei, on the other hand, was actually kind of sort of important for a couple episodes.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jun 26, 2016

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

RE/100 Nightingale did pretty badly too!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Graze Ein is the already-existing Graze mould with a swapped-out head and limbs. It's also roughly the same height as the highly popular Nu, Sazabi, Unicorn, and Sinanju. It's not some mad, unique experiment like the Nightingale or Perfect Zeong. Plus, the 1/100 line has done most of the important Grazes and Gundams so far, and the final boss of S1 seems pretty damned important.

I do think it's coming.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I think if the Thunderbolt FA Gundam and fancy red Zaku MGs do well, we might get the regular Thunderbolt GM and Zaku as P-Bandai kits or something. I like those designs more than their souped up counterparts. Aside from those, I'd probably only be interested in an MG of the Barbatos, which I think will come out eventually, but it's impossible to guess whether that might be like, in 2017, or sometime between now and 2025 when Bandai have a free MG release slot.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Red Bones posted:

I think if the Thunderbolt FA Gundam and fancy red Zaku MGs do well, we might get the regular Thunderbolt GM and Zaku as P-Bandai kits or something. I like those designs more than their souped up counterparts. Aside from those, I'd probably only be interested in an MG of the Barbatos, which I think will come out eventually, but it's impossible to guess whether that might be like, in 2017, or sometime between now and 2025 when Bandai have a free MG release slot.

I really hope there's a Barbatos MG. None of its kits so far have quite done it justice.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Red Bones posted:

I think if the Thunderbolt FA Gundam and fancy red Zaku MGs do well, we might get the regular Thunderbolt GM and Zaku as P-Bandai kits or something.

The TB FA Gundam vKa has practically been designed to be easily converted into a TB GM. It's almost certainly going to happen.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Finally spent some time at the workbench this weekend. Until I sort out the weapons situation, the Gundam Jamaika is complete.

I thought from the start that if there was a Gundam Barbatos, we might as well continue the misspelled-Caribbean-islands theme and do Gundam Jamaika. While I have zero real connection to Jamaica, I figured it'd be awesome to have the Jamaika Gundam basically be the colors of the Jamaican flag. The black is just normal Vallejo black, the yellow is either the kit yellow parts or a mix of 10 parts Vallejo flat yellow, 3 parts Vallejo flat white, 1 part Vallejo light orange (not bright, that's too much). That ratio seems to be a pretty good mix for any Gundam yellow part matching. The green is Vallejo light green.

The arm/elbow piping was Mr. Metal Color Chrome Silver with Model Masters Dusty Rose Pink drybrushed over. I liked the idea of highlighting the pipes for some reason. I'm going to fix up the chrome parts on the left arm that you can see in the photo - there's splotches on the housing parts.

The piping on the legs is Mr. Metal Color Chrome Silver, buffed. Same color for the channels in between the leg parts.

I made an enamel pin wash with Model Masters green and yellow - I forget the specific shades but I think the yellow is Russian Marker Yellow. I picked out a few parts to just pop out the Jamiacan flag motif. Doing this over black means several passes to fill it out, but it looks pretty good when done.

The red I/O symbols are a pin wash of Model Masters Guards Red.

Inner frame is Mr. Metal Color iron over Mr. Color GX Ueno Black as a base coat. The Metal Color buffs to a wonderful metallic shine and thus far is better than any color I've worked with for that nice Gundam inner frame look.

The piston housings were painted with Mr. Metal Color Stainless Steel, and the pistons themselves Mr. Metal Color Chrome Silver. Both were buffed. The effect is a little better seen in person under moderate light.

The metal color parts were sealed with Testors Metallizer Sealer. It gives a semi-gloss topcoat that works well in retaining the original luster.

I hosed up the mace trying to make resin casts of it, so once that arrives, I'll be hopefully figuring out how to roll it in papers, then painting the head green to make it look like a big-rear end joint. I'm also setting up the smoothbore cannon from the CGS weapons set too.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Weird question: I'm in the process of making a paint booth, and I'm almost finished save for a fan. Is there a recommended booth fan (that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars)?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
how much pain am i about to bring on myself

edit: what are even these tubing instructions

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

The TB FA Gundam vKa has practically been designed to be easily converted into a TB GM. It's almost certainly going to happen.

...as a P-Bandai exclusive. :unsmigghh:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kuvo posted:

Gunpla thread: what are even these tubing instructions

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kuvo posted:

A lot of finger pain, is how much.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Going through the MG/RG Zaku II's tubing is a rite of passage for any gunplaer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I found the rg zaku 2 piping rather easy actually. They pop on quite smoothly and having them on flexible coils instead of solid plastic makes posing so much better.

The big problem with the zaku for me were the flimsy trigger and three finger hands and the rear bicep pieces which like to come loose

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

closeted republican posted:

Going through the MG/RG Zaku II's tubing is a rite of passage for any gunplaer.

I never did an MG/RG Zaku, but I did do a PG, and honestly, Sinanju's piping has to be infinitely worse.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Kuvo posted:

My (not so much now) secret shame is that I opened my RG Zaku box, looked at the piping and then closed it up and put it in my closet.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Neurolimal posted:

Weird question: I'm in the process of making a paint booth, and I'm almost finished save for a fan. Is there a recommended booth fan (that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars)?

You absolutely need some sort of explosion-proof fan, which are by definition not cheap. You can find so-called squirrel cage fans for under a hundred, but choose one with insufficient blowing power and you might as well not bother with a booth at all.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Bimmi posted:

You absolutely need some sort of explosion-proof fan, which are by definition not cheap. You can find so-called squirrel cage fans for under a hundred, but choose one with insufficient blowing power and you might as well not bother with a booth at all.

Thanks for the advice. Is this still basically required if I'm not going to be spraying rattle cans or lacquer paint?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I'm not sure what sort of flash risk you'd get with alcohol-based paints - not as much as lacquer but more than zero, I'm guessing - but using water-based paints with an inline fan also leads to the possibility of motor coil corrosion, which is also not good.

Spray booths are weird.... there's physics and mathematics behind the difference between a good one and a bad one. Left to my own devices, I'd just as soon hold my nose and shell out for a purpose-built unit that I know will work.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
With the right sized skewer/toothpick sanding the SInanju's tubes was easy because they couldn't spin or anything and were nicely on the stick. I did get a set of metal replacements though just in case it was hell so I'm always ready for a Zaku.

Neurolimal posted:

Thanks for the advice. Is this still basically required if I'm not going to be spraying rattle cans or lacquer paint?

Absolutely! On top of the fire risk you'd be surprised how much stuff you don't notice just goes everywhere when you spray. There must be suitable fans available for less than $100 considering buying a portable booth ready to go is only like $140.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EthanSteele posted:

Absolutely! On top of the fire risk you'd be surprised how much stuff you don't notice just goes everywhere when you spray. There must be suitable fans available for less than $100 considering buying a portable booth ready to go is only like $140.

Try $90 https://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbr...ush+spray+booth

Although if you have the tools and materials and are DIYish, you just need a bilge exhaust fan. https://www.amazon.com/Rule-240--Line-Blower-Diameter/dp/B000O8D0IC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466995013&sr=8-1&keywords=bilge+exhaust+fan

BYO power supply, though

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Kuvo posted:

Is the Zaku tubing at all similar to the Sazabi tubing? I put together the torso + head of mine today and there were 20 tubing segments. No huge problems with trimming + sanding the segements, but I have no loving clue how to get the tubing to look decent.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How does one even do LEDs for Gunpla? I mean, is it just a question of hollow out the chest for batteries and a switch, drill through the polycap and joint to run wires, get a clear housing for a colored LED, and go nuts?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

MJP posted:

How does one even do LEDs for Gunpla? I mean, is it just a question of hollow out the chest for batteries and a switch, drill through the polycap and joint to run wires, get a clear housing for a colored LED, and go nuts?

Some of the master grade units (or maybe all of the new ones? I have no idea) are specifically designed to fit this LED unit that they sell. The LED unit fits inside of the chest, and the head is designed with light pipes to direct the light to the eye.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slanderer posted:

Some of the master grade units (or maybe all of the new ones? I have no idea) are specifically designed to fit this LED unit that they sell. The LED unit fits inside of the chest, and the head is designed with light pipes to direct the light to the eye.

Yeah, but that's $25 for two LEDs. The Radio Shack near me still sells some components and it's crazy cheap. I see enough people do their own work, I just honestly have no clue how.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

MJP posted:

Yeah, but that's $25 for two LEDs. The Radio Shack near me still sells some components and it's crazy cheap. I see enough people do their own work, I just honestly have no clue how.

If you just want to duplicate the retail LED module, it's pretty simple. The LED module has the following components

2x LR41 1.5V cell holders
SPST switch
3mm green LED, ~50 degree viewing angle (according to my quick measurement).

To replicate this, you'd additionally need ~30AWG wire (typically "wire wrap wire" is used for this sort of thing) to connect everything, probably some hot glue to attach everything together without a PCB, and a soldering iron. Moldable thermoplastic or removable tacky putty can be used to hold the final product in position in your model, if you dont want to do anything to fancy.

Depending on space requirements, there are a lot of things you can do about the batteries. Specifically, you can replace the two 1.5V batteries with a single (but potentially larger diameter) 3V battery. If you don't have room for a cell holder, you can affix LED leads or wires directly to your coin cell (or stack of two cells) using tape, rubber bands, or conductive copper tape. All of this can save space, but at the cost of requiring you to rebuild the LED unit once the batteries are drained.

Keep in mind that in coin cell LED circuits like this, you are technically overdriving the LED, since it is mostly just the "internal resistance" of the battery cells that limits the current through the LED. The internal resistance is low enough that most LEDs won't immediately burn out, but they will have a reduced lifespan. On the plus side, they will be brighter! When using a two 1.5V akaline cell vs. a single 3V lithium ion cell the resistance is different (2 cells vs 1, but they have different chemistries) so the brightness (and lifespan) will also be different. You can also insert a resistor (With a value between 10 ohms and 150 ohms) in series if you need to make the LED dimmer.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

You know I want to support my local business stocking gunpla, but on the other hand they want 100 dollars for the mg epyon :stonk:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Monaghan posted:

You know I want to support my local business stocking gunpla, but on the other hand they want 100 dollars for the mg epyon :stonk:

Let the business die a horrible death before you spend 100+ dollars on an EW MG.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Monaghan posted:

They don't deserve your support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does anyone know if there are anymore kits in the Origin line coming out? I watched some videos about the Origin Zaku 1 and the articulation on it looks great. My Origin Char suit hasn't arrived yet but it's got me excited. Also, is there a Gunpla equivalent of THIN YOUR PAINTS?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 28, 2016