Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

fits my needs posted:

What about normal people that aren't government bureaucrats whose wages aren't based on some formula? I guess we are just supposed to be happy with folks making more money just because, rather than due to an increase in education or work skill. Makes me feel good about spending all that time and money to go to college so I can help redistribute my wealth downwards lmao.

FYGM.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/MicheleBachmann/status/747177437923000320

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

cravius posted:

How come people always attack these white wacko groups but there's never violence against Westboro or whatever

Because while obnoxious, they are ultimately harmless. Also, the will sue you into oblivion if you try,

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't want to replow a subject that's already been overworked but, the talk about wages made me think of the Henry Ford quote about making the best product while paying the highest wage possible, which, there's more than one quote by him that speaks to the benefit of paying high wages but, what did surprise me while I was looking for that quote was that in 1913, Henry Ford decided to pay his workers a wage of $5 per hour. One hundred years later, the U.S. minimum wage is only $2.25 more than what Henry Ford paid his workers.

edit: ignore this. Deteriorata pointed out my poor reading skills below.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 26, 2016

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Seeing Nazis getting brained by 2x4s is cool and good

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

radical meme posted:

I don't want to replow a subject that's already been overworked but, the talk about wages made me think of the Henry Ford quote about making the best product while paying the highest wage possible, which, there's more than one quote by him that speaks to the benefit of paying high wages but, what did surprise me while I was looking for that quote was that in 1913, Henry Ford decided to pay his workers a wage of $5 per hour. One hundred years later, the U.S. minimum wage is only $2.25 more than what Henry Ford paid his workers.

Pretty sure it was $5 per day. Also, in his later years Ford allegedly said paying his workers well was a huge mistake.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Aww, the comments.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Also imagine that I linked the last 30 seconds of Inglourious Basterds to add to the sentiment

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

Pretty sure it was $5 per day. Also, in his later years Ford allegedly said paying his workers well was a huge mistake.

Ford got a Nazi award from Hitler

This is not relevant, but it's always funny to bring up

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Deteriorata posted:

Ah gently caress, you're right. It was $5 per day. I totally misread that. Never mind.

edit: but it was at a time after the 5 day work week had been put in place and there's quotes by him embracing that practice as well.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 26, 2016

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

inkblot posted:

Being salty because you can't lord your meager table scraps over those with less doesn't make me feel real bad about your predicament, not gonna lie.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

cravius posted:

How come people always attack these white wacko groups but there's never violence against Westboro or whatever

Unlike many Neonazi groups Westboro has a bunch of kids/women at all their protests so that probably plays into it.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

cravius posted:

There's plenty of people in Antifa movements that are basically there for some acceptable targets, and attacking nazis has, until recently, at least, been widely accepted as cool and good.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Bushiz posted:

There's plenty of people in Antifa movements that are basically there for some acceptable targets, and attacking nazis has, until recently, at least, been widely accepted as cool and good.

Yeah that actually makes a lot of sense

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Like a part of me recoils at seeing this type of violence because I think hey, these are fellow Americans and they have first amendment rights and we shouldn't go around beating people up who we disagree with.

But then another part of me loves it, gently caress these fascist scum...if they show up preaching their hate they need to be beaten down and I don't feel an ounce of pity for that.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
This BAMN lady on CNN isn't doing her side any favors

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

cravius posted:

Half the family are lawyers, they sue the crap out of people who mess with them.

radical meme posted:

The $5 a day wasn't really a salary - that's a common misconception. In reality, only half of it was regular pay. The other half was a bonus, only available to workers living up to Ford's ideal of the good and moral American life. That was enforced, too - Ford had a Sociological Department that would regularly inspect employees' homes to make sure that they were keeping things clean, that they didn't have any alcohol around, that they were married at the proper age to a proper woman, and so on. If the inspector didn't feel that you met those conditions, he'd revoke the bonus and your pay would be cut in half.

Also, the high pay wasn't out of a spirit of generosity or goodness to workers either. The fact of the matter is that Ford's hyper-capitalist assembly-line floor was far more miserable to work at than other factories of the time, and employees were constantly quitting or walking out or refusing to come into work, which impacted production heavily since the assembly line requires a fully-manned line. He gave that bonus because he was desperate to increase retention; in the year before he implemented the pay rise, yearly employee turnover was about 370%. His factories were so much more miserable to work at that he had to pay above market rates just to keep his employees.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Main Paineframe posted:

Half the family are lawyers, they sue the crap out of people who mess with them.
That said, sometimes stuff happens that they can't do anything about :
http://www.rawstory.com/2010/11/fix-slashed-tires-antigay-protesters-report/

quote:

About a half-dozen members of the Westboro Baptist Church traveled to McAlester, Oklahoma Saturday to picket Army Sgt. Jason James McCluskey’s funeral.

Following the protest, the group returned to their minivan to find that the front and rear tires on the passenger side of the vehicle had been slashed.

“To make matters worse, as their minivan slowly hobbled away on two flat tires, with a McAlester police car following behind, the protesters were unable to find anyone in town who would repair their vehicle, according to police,” Tulsa World reported.

In the end, the AAA motor club was called and the minivan was eventually loaded on to a flatbed truck.

Assistant Police Chief Darrell Miller told Tulsa World‘s Manny Gamallo that the vehicle was taken to Walmart for replacement tires.

But even during the protest, things did not go smoothly for the anti-gay church members. By Miller’s estimation, the church members faced a counter protest of nearly 1000 people.
Someone in the town slashed their tires, and for some strange reason nobody else in town was keen to sell them new tires, so they had to have their vehicle towed out of town instead.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Like a part of me recoils at seeing this type of violence because I think hey, these are fellow Americans and they have first amendment rights and we shouldn't go around beating people up who we disagree with.

But then another part of me loves it, gently caress these fascist scum...if they show up preaching their hate they need to be beaten down and I don't feel an ounce of pity for that.

Don't be violent against other humans. It's absolutely base and sickening, and if I were to see that, I would most definitely turn my head the other direction.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Beat the poo poo out of Nazis every day.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Nazis have the same first amendment rights anyone else does and it should be treated as a crime and punished in the judicial system.

That said since I'm not a part of that system I have no issue saying 'ha, Nazis got owned, sweet' as a private citizen.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

fade5 posted:

That said, sometimes stuff happens that they can't do anything about :
http://www.rawstory.com/2010/11/fix-slashed-tires-antigay-protesters-report/

Someone in the town slashed their tires, and for some strange reason nobody else in town was keen to sell them new tires, so they had to have their vehicle towed out of town instead.

The autoshops should have helped(Maybe,I wanna cite the Good Samaritan buttttttt)and then donate the money to pro-lgbt stuff.

edit.

Remider Bachmann is crazy and hid in bushes to spy on a pro-LGBT rally.

"I must gather intel on these sodomites!"

Oh and she was okay with her district having the most (gay)child suicides.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 26, 2016

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

fits my needs posted:

What about normal people that aren't government bureaucrats whose wages aren't based on some formula? I guess we are just supposed to be happy with folks making more money just because, rather than due to an increase in education or work skill.

Should good things happen to other people: [YES] / [NO]

quote:

Makes me feel good about spending all that time and money to go to college so I can help redistribute my wealth downwards lmao.

What is being taken from you? Be specific.

(The likely answer is this: Relative standing, nothing else)

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The Left would be wise not to try and normalize political violence.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

The Kingfish posted:

The Left would be wise not to try and normalize political violence.

Only when it's happening to someone I don't agree with!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Too bad those bashing the fash didn't have guns to blow away the fash.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

No fly, no guns is good because it works towards the goal of less people being able to buy guns. I'm fine with the right to bear arms being infringed extrajudicially.

Nazis getting smashed is good because Nazis should never not be getting smashed. I'm fine with Nazis being silenced.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Nazis have the same first amendment rights anyone else does and it should be treated as a crime and punished in the judicial system.

How is getting beaten for your views by private citizens a first amendment issue?

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

RZA Encryption posted:

How is getting beaten for your views by private citizens a first amendment issue?

Lack of prosecution is a tacit endorsement by the government.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The Larch posted:

Lack of prosecution is a tacit endorsement by the government.

You'd probably have to prove in court that the speech was the reason for lack of prosecution. Maybe the cops were just too busy that day. 🙃

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RZA Encryption posted:

Oh, no sorry the 'it' that's a crime in that was the rear end beating not them being nazis.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

"Hmm, I will go home and consider my worldview due to our civil discussion" said no nazi ever

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

a lot of nazis have legit major cognitive disabilities and should probably be institutionalized against their will, as a public health thing

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Zas posted:

a lot of nazis have legit major cognitive disabilities and should probably be institutionalized against their will, as a public health thing

Look, we can't start rounding up and shipping people off because they're white.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

RZA Encryption posted:

No fly, no guns is good because it works towards the goal of less people being able to buy guns. I'm fine with the right to bear arms being infringed extrajudicially.

Yes, infringe any rights as long as it gets guns out of people's hands.

Sounds like a good plan.

RZA Encryption posted:

Nazis getting smashed is good because Nazis should never not be getting smashed. I'm fine with Nazis being silenced.

It is one when the state refuses to prosecute those committing crimes against people who are espousing a particular view.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Tatum Girlparts posted:

You know who else faced a struggle and imprisonment to express his views......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i am not happy and not cool with random violence to people because you disagree with them, especially with the political turmoil of the last few days.

like there is a wave of violence and intimidation going on against Poles and anyone who looks foreign going on in the UK right now and seeing anyone celebrate violence makes me sick to my stomach at the parallel.

bleh.

• Locked thread