Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Stared at it wondering if the noise its making is going to wax my savings.

Hadn’t ridden my 690 Duke for a few weeks, started it up yesterday, and got an earful of the most unholy rattling noise it’s made since I bought it. The biek was fine when I put it away so I dunno what’s up. It still rattles after warming it up and taking it around the block. Sounds like / is in the right area for a loose AF cam chain; the rate increases with throttle and makes an ugly rattle/buzz on decel. I adjusted the manual cct and that hasn’t done squat so I’m poo poo out of ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Hit 600 miles so I changed the oil. Plan to hit 1000 before the end of the weekend.
I added spools and sliders and got rid of the ugly rear end fender. Man I hate modern bike fenders.

Much tidier. No cutting except for a metal retaining ring for the stock turn signals. I wanted to make sure I could find something that needed no cutting and looked good.

Previous:

Betty
Apr 14, 2008
I went for a ride for a couple of days on my motorcycle around these parts.

Yellowstone is kind of a madhouse but the Bear Tooth Highway is all worth it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Good to hear, thanks! I plan to contact them on Monday, as I really do like this bulb otherwise. Their company reputation is part of why I chose it.
Monday, as in July 4th?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Got a Czechoslovakian moped running today. Had to diagnose 35 year old Czechoslovakian electrics and send part of them off to electrical people to rewind them because you can't get new stator parts. Then I had to order a FOUR VOLT ignition coil from the Czech republic because it's not part of Czechoslovakia anymore, then make my own throttle cable adjusters because whatever cable and twist grip were on it didn't fit each other.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Got a Czechoslovakian moped running today. Had to diagnose 35 year old Czechoslovakian electrics and send part of them off to electrical people to rewind them because you can't get new stator parts. Then I had to order a FOUR VOLT ignition coil from the Czech republic because it's not part of Czechoslovakia anymore, then make my own throttle cable adjusters because whatever cable and twist grip were on it didn't fit each other.

Please tell me you have photos. This sounds fascinating.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I'm trying to learn about suspension and after watching this video I decided I should at least try to set the sag properly on my rear shock. The rear preload is the only adjustable suspension bit on my MT-07.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3xdM8E_q-I

In short the video says ~10mm free sag and ~30mm rider sag is what you want for the rear suspension.

Turns out only the two softest settings gave any free sag at all. I started out on factory setting 3, tried it on 5 for a while and now I'm down on 2 (out of 9). I tried to measure the sag accurately but it's kind of hard doing it by yourself. I think I have around 10mm free sag and maybe 20-30mm rider sag now so I guess in theory It's as good as it's gonna get.

The front actually have some free sag but the rider sag is not much more. But that's not adjustable so I'll have do some upgrades if I want to sort it out.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

makka-setan posted:

I'm trying to learn about suspension and after watching this video I decided I should at least try to set the sag properly on my rear shock. The rear preload is the only adjustable suspension bit on my MT-07.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3xdM8E_q-I

In short the video says ~10mm free sag and ~30mm rider sag is what you want for the rear suspension.

Turns out only the two softest settings gave any free sag at all. I started out on factory setting 3, tried it on 5 for a while and now I'm down on 2 (out of 9). I tried to measure the sag accurately but it's kind of hard doing it by yourself. I think I have around 10mm free sag and maybe 20-30mm rider sag now so I guess in theory It's as good as it's gonna get.

The front actually have some free sag but the rider sag is not much more. But that's not adjustable so I'll have do some upgrades if I want to sort it out.

Sounds like you need a softer spring. Are you a small person?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Please tell me it was a Jawa and not a Cezeta or something else.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Glazed it in simple green, washed it, rode it. I need to get another brillo pad for scrubbing the brake rotor, it's still a little pulsey after hitting it with a rag.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

Barnsy posted:

Sounds like you need a softer spring. Are you a small person?

I'm not *that* tiny, about 70 kg (154lbs) with gear I think.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

makka-setan posted:

I'm not *that* tiny, about 70 kg (154lbs) with gear I think.

I'm almost 20 kg heavier than you and I didn't think the XSR700 (which I assume has the same suspension as the MT07) was undersprung, so I understand how you didn't find any sag. But it was poorly damped, it gives you a shock back in the bar/rear end when the spring extends after being compressed. Start saving for a full Öhlins job. It's probably close to 20000 SEK but you can cope with the stock suspension for two years and you get to experience a totally different bike when it's done.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Öhlins would be nice but I'm not racing so all that gold anodizing would probably be lost on me. But there are alternatives. The Hyperpro kit seems popular.

https://calsport.co.uk/yamaha-mt07-2015/hyperpro-suspension/hyperpro-shocks-and-springs/SB-YA07-5AE-B/

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

makka-setan posted:

Öhlins would be nice but I'm not racing so all that gold anodizing would probably be lost on me. But there are alternatives. The Hyperpro kit seems popular.

https://calsport.co.uk/yamaha-mt07-2015/hyperpro-suspension/hyperpro-shocks-and-springs/SB-YA07-5AE-B/

Hyperpro is ok, but that kit doesn't include cartridges. I don't think the spring makes much difference up front, it's not undersprung but the damping is simple and unsophisticated. There are other fork kits, but with Öhlins, which I assume have some pretty good dealers in Sweden, you'd get new fork internals with high and low speed damping so bumps are soft but braking and corners are stiff.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

The battle vs the tank liner continues. An unholy mix of MEK and acetone and 4 days of soaking was enough to separate most of the liner from the metal, but peering in there I can still see some hanging on. So, I've got about a quart of MEK in there now with 2 chains to agitate. The stuff comes off in chunks:

I believe this is the old 2 part Kreem epoxy, because the newer Kreem is supposed to dissolve in MEK or acetone.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'd just get a new tank off Ebay or whatever.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If you don't take clutchpucks excellent advice, buy a fuel filter you can clean on the side of the road.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Last weekend I set out to get ONE small light bar for my ninja. Instead, I ended up with TWO chunky 1440 lum light cubes on my sumo. How does this keep happening?!

Oh well, it's awesome, and wired via relay into my high beam circuit. I'm diligent about not using my high beam when people are around, so I'm not gonna be rude with this. Many thanks to cursedshitbox for patiently explaining relays and wiring to me.

I did a pro as all get out job on the install, too. Everything is properly connected, weatherproofed, routed, and tucked away. I even was able to get the stock harness shielding back over the butt connector where I spliced into the high beam. Very happy with how it all went down.

Now I just need to get my replacement cyclops 3800 lum bulb installed, for full high beam pandemonium.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

clutchpuck posted:

I'd just get a new tank off Ebay or whatever.

It's a Hawk GT tank, so it's like cleaning out the inside of a unicorn's skull. Even lovely beat up tanks go for $300+.

Z3n posted:

If you don't take clutchpucks excellent advice, buy a fuel filter you can clean on the side of the road.

At this point, whatever is left in the tank will be dealt with over the winter, and I'm going to pray my filter doesn't let any through (like the previous one did).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Try dichloromethane (methylene chloride). It'll dissolve nearly any plastic you can find. Do NOT get it on the paint.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
BROKE IT

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

how many miles?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Got PR4s, tank grips, and adjustable levers on the f4i. Holy gently caress this bike is so good. Not sliding around trying to hold the tank is great. Having tires newer than 2004 is nice too. Yeah my new bike had the original fuckin tires :stare:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

PaintVagrant posted:

Got PR4s, tank grips, and adjustable levers on the f4i. Holy gently caress this bike is so good. Not sliding around trying to hold the tank is great. Having tires newer than 2004 is nice too. Yeah my new bike had the original fuckin tires :stare:

Yeah I just got new tires on my Tuono and it's a beast transformed. I think the PO had heat cycled them out at the track and I never really thought about it until I found myself fighting to get it to turn the other day and realized. New Pirelli Rosso IIs and all is well again :getin:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Heatcycled out tires let go suuuuuper quick, squared off tires are hard to turn in. :)

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Heatcycled out tires let go suuuuuper quick, squared off tires are hard to turn in. :)

Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking, and I know squaring can be hard to see but they didn't appear so at all. Cool old dude I bought it from said he only really rode it on the track now and then but who knows. They were pretty worn down so it was probably mostly new tire feels.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
The wear on my tires wasnt very bad, but I found the front end a little squirrely the first few time I rode it. I wrote it off as just what this sort of bike feels like. Then I took a look at the date on the tires...2004. Oh. No dry rot, no blueing, my tire guy who did the swap coudnt believe how good they looked for how old they were. But I assume they were hard as rocks.

Front end has no squirrelyness at all now, it feels loving incredible.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

EX250 Type R posted:

how many miles?

20k I guess. It looks like somebody sand blasted the space between the teeth. Makes sense with all the construction I rode through.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

20k I guess.

So 12.4 miles?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Fuckin' belts.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Put the trusty CB650f up for sale. Love the bike, just can't do long trips on the highway on it.

VFR800 or 1200 next, still up in the air what I'll end up with...

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

clutchpuck posted:

20k I guess. It looks like somebody sand blasted the space between the teeth. Makes sense with all the construction I rode through.

Are they violent when they go? My only frame of reference is blowing snowmobile belts at high speed and that is pretty violent

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Both times I've done it, it just exited in a parking lot clutching into 1st and felt like a false neutral.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How much does a belt cost to replace? Do you have to replace the pulleys at the same time?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The one I bought was like $170. Pulleys don't get replaced unless they're damaged. I don't see damage.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Can you do it in a parking lot with the tool bag, or is it a "remove the rear wheel" job?

I'm still a bit unclear of what the (dis)advantage of belt vs chain is. I get that it can't handle as much torque as a chain, but is that relevant for a street bike?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Started stripping the DR down and cleaning stuff.

Two things: dirt bikes are really simple and everything is really fuckin jammed in there.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You can do it in a parking lot with the wheel on. Takes about 1-2 hours.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

Can you do it in a parking lot with the tool bag, or is it a "remove the rear wheel" job?

I'm still a bit unclear of what the (dis)advantage of belt vs chain is. I get that it can't handle as much torque as a chain, but is that relevant for a street bike?

That looks really tidy, just dirty. All the paint seems to be present and the engine casings don't look bad at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

That looks really tidy, just dirty. All the paint seems to be present and the engine casings don't look bad at all.

I think this was meant to be quoting me?

If so, yeah, it's in good but filthy condition. Figured it'll be easier to clean in pieces and then I'll know how it all goes together. Its been laid down, so the bars need a little tweaking (replacements later), and the clutch cover is busted right where the splined shaft comes out to the cable. Pukes oil when you kick it over. Replacement is on its way, then I need chain, tires, tubes. And a street legal kit eventually. Not bad for $500.

Yay, first dirt bike.