Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Eat that pork dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I just had some pancetta wrapped watermelon. It was delicious and refreshing. I suggest everyone do this.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
I cured up some pancetta a while back and when I cook it the fat gets all translucent and weird and almost all of the fat renders out of it such that the pan swims in oil, is that normal?

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

himajinga posted:

I cured up some pancetta a while back and when I cook it the fat gets all translucent and weird and almost all of the fat renders out of it such that the pan swims in oil, is that normal?

I'm tumescent thinking about that.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER

himajinga posted:

yeah, mang, happens with store bought pancetta as well. eat the porks.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

himajinga posted:

That's what animal fat does when exposed to heat.

Are you trying to crisp it? Because it sounds like insufficient pan temp if that's the case... though even at proper temp it usually goes through a translucent phase.

The bacon I posted about early came out awesome if anyone was waiting with baited breath for the conclusion of that saga. The fancy new slicer I got (Masakage Suji... I can't remember how to spell Japanese words) has greatly improved my homemade bacon experience by allowing me to slice it thin enough to crisp properly.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
Cool, I guess I wasn't used to it completely liquefying since the fat on bacon, etc still stays somewhat intact when you cook it.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

himajinga posted:

Cool, I guess I wasn't used to it completely liquefying since the fat on bacon, etc still stays somewhat intact when you cook it.

Bacon fat melts too... it's the reason the bacon shrinks and the pan fills with bacon grease. That wet, semi-translucent look your bacon gets right before it starts to crisp is the result of the same thing happening.

I'm guessing your pancetta has more discrete fat on it then your average bacon slice, the behavior is much more obvious when you're cooking a hunk of pure fat as opposed to the leaner cuts you normally see on store bought bacon.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Adventures!

First batch of bacon was so delicious 100% of peoples who I gave some too asked if they could buy more next time. I am not selling it and don't intend to.

Made another batch! Went perfect again e4xcept that I rinced it better this time thus it is less salty. I prefer saltier so next time will not rince as much.

Made duck prosciutto! Fantastic! Easy and delicious. I'll try to post pics later.

Just got done checking my porc loin prosciutto and I am afraid something is wrong. Before hanging to dry I caked it in smoked paprika and cayenne. The air was too dry and the exterior hardened some. Still, the interior looks superb. Drier then my duck by a margin. Great color and odor. The exterior has me concerned. There are black zones and especially worying there are cracks from when I squeezed to see if the center was soft and in these it's pitch black.

No bad smell at all tho. Here are some pics. In doubt I'll just dump it and restart no biggy. Next time I'll use a humidifier to get good humidity. Was in the 25-35%.

edit: looking at my pics I am wondeirn gif perhaps it's just zones where paprika washed off. I did spray the cheese cloth twice with salt water. Maybe the black I am seeing is the darkened aged meat? Easy to check I gues I'll rince a piece off should be able to see if it's mold..

edit 2: Well rinced a piece off. Scrubbed it hard with a cloth and all I ever got out of it was red paprika. not a dot of black. I can see it but it clearly is part of the meat. I sliced a milimeter off of a side and as far as I can tell the black is the darkened skin.
Will still wait on opinions if there are any. Should black mold be solid and unwashable?

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 9, 2016

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Not really sure what you're talking about I can't see anything weird in the pictures.

Are you just talking about the really dark meat around the edge? Because the only whole muscle charcuterie I've ever made is duck but my experience with that is that if it starts to dry out and oxidize it gets very dark.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Jarmak posted:

Not really sure what you're talking about I can't see anything weird in the pictures.

Are you just talking about the really dark meat around the edge? Because the only whole muscle charcuterie I've ever made is duck but my experience with that is that if it starts to dry out and oxidize it gets very dark.

Looking at the exterior you can see darkened sections. But after thinking about it enough I am sure I was paranoyed. From wat I can find on google black mold is very identifiable. All I have here is darkened meat.

Time to taste then! Looks so yummy!

edit: Tastes great! Was just too cautious. Not a bad thing tho. The meat is much more tender then the duck. It melts in your mouth I am impressed how easy it is.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 9, 2016

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Just had a great success! Hung 4 pork tenderloins to dry following the duck procuitto recipe. 4 different flavors.

Smoked Paprika (second time doing these, put less paprika tastes great)
Curry (oh that's loving tasty, crazy good)
"herbes de Provence" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbes_de_Provence (great taste again)
And truffle salt (HORRIBLE, bad mushroom taste, never again)

Curry is by far my favorite. I do love curry in general but this works so well. Great look too.

This time I found a cool and more humid spot in my house. Had 55% humidity constant wich was better then the 25-35 from last time. It shows because the dark ring is less then last time but the center is darker.

Here's a pic.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Beautiful! Fantastic work.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Iznogood posted:

Just had a great success! Hung 4 pork tenderloins to dry following the duck procuitto recipe. 4 different flavors.

Smoked Paprika (second time doing these, put less paprika tastes great)
Curry (oh that's loving tasty, crazy good)
"herbes de Provence" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbes_de_Provence (great taste again)
And truffle salt (HORRIBLE, bad mushroom taste, never again)

Curry is by far my favorite. I do love curry in general but this works so well. Great look too.

This time I found a cool and more humid spot in my house. Had 55% humidity constant wich was better then the 25-35 from last time. It shows because the dark ring is less then last time but the center is darker.

Here's a pic.

That looks absolutely amazing.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I'm doing some pork hung like duck prosciutto, about a pound and a half from a raw ham with a nice fat cap, and I'm waiting for it to lose about half (or even 40%) of its weight, but it seems to not be into doing that.

Initial weight after sitting in a spiced basic sugar-salt cure for a few days was 777g. It's been hanging in a mini fridge that contains only it (stays around 55 degrees, not sure about humidity). First weigh in it was at 699g and still had quite a bit of raw-feeling squish to it, so I let it go another week. That week was up today, and the weight is now 642g--not even close to half its weight, and it still felt a bit squishy. The outside was looking kind of leathery and overdried so I rubbed it down with some coconut oil (thinking this would help the way the lard does for hams in Charcuterie). It's a fairly thick cut so I imagine it might continue to take a while, but I'm surprised its taking this long; duck prosciutto recipe is for a pound duck breast and this was like a little over a pound and a half or so raw.

Any thoughts/ suggestions on why this is drying so slowly? Did extra days in salt / sugar pull out more liquids & I should be paying more attention to raw weight? Is humidity making that big of a difference? Or is it just the thickness of the cut?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

So the house I'm in the process of closing on right now has a wine fridge in the kitchen and I'm pondering converting it to a charcuterie fridge (I'm guessing I can hang a full 5 lb batch of sausage in there and that's pretty much my max capacity needs) since while I drink wine I like mostly reds and don't even bother to chill it between rack and glass 99% of the time.

Does anyone have an experience/advice/information sources for such a project?

edit: for reference I'm currently doing things the old fashioned way and hanging stuff in a walled in corner of my apartment's unfinished field stone basement, basically just monitoring conditions and only doing it during the times of year the RH and temp are in the right zone.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 20, 2016

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

I'm lucky enough to pretty much only eat wagyu beef. Had a small piece that is called in french "petite poire" wich is quite a small 250 ich grams piece of beef kinda like filet but a little tuffer and quite tastier. Decided to make Bresaola with it. Pretty happy with the results. Very tasty and tender. This thread and the book charcuterie changed my life. Had no idea you could do all this at home. Now I need to get my hands on a sausage maker.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wagyu charcuterie is certainly something.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Iznogood posted:

I'm lucky enough to pretty much only eat wagyu beef.

How do I get to be this lucky?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Iznogood posted:

I'm lucky enough to pretty much only eat wagyu beef. Had a small piece that is called in french "petite poire" wich is quite a small 250 ich grams piece of beef kinda like filet but a little tuffer and quite tastier. Decided to make Bresaola with it. Pretty happy with the results. Very tasty and tender. This thread and the book charcuterie changed my life. Had no idea you could do all this at home. Now I need to get my hands on a sausage maker.

For the layman in the thread, the muscle you're talking about is teres major. Pretty cheap at ~$3-4/lb for USDA choice. Makes absolutely amazing bresaola, with only a 2-3 week aging process.

e: but a wagyu teres doesn't exist. It's like "wagyu" brisket. Brisket is never graded above choice because it's always a fatty muscle. Teres are the opposite, they're always pretty lean, even on a fat cow.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

For the layman in the thread, the muscle you're talking about is teres major. Pretty cheap at ~$3-4/lb for USDA choice. Makes absolutely amazing bresaola, with only a 2-3 week aging process.

e: but a wagyu teres doesn't exist. It's like "wagyu" brisket. Brisket is never graded above choice because it's always a fatty muscle. Teres are the opposite, they're always pretty lean, even on a fat cow.

I'll have to check with my source. Some of my beef is a hybrid they have developed this year. Half wagyu half "regular". It's from a reputable breeder here in quebec https://www.facebook.com/FermeKobec/. There are also other "exotic" cuts like "culotte de haut de surlonge" witch is crazy tender and "macreuse" again crazy crazy tender even when raw. Very hard to find translations for these cuts.

About "getting lucky" I am afraid you have to marry someone who's dad has a lot of money.

edit: quick google search found lots of wagyu teres major and brisquets. Maybe it's a marketing thing?
http://www.marxfoods.com/Kobe-Beef-Teras-Major
http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-kobe-gold-grade-wagyu-brisket.html

edit2: maybe you meant "technically" these cuts don't exist because they are very different from "normal" beef cuts. because of course(?) these muscle exist in kobe or wagyu beef. That would be right since I have yet to eat a bad or tuff piece of this beef. it's always tender and savory. Very rich irony taste.

last edit!: you got me curious and after looking at beef charts I think my "petite poire" is not your teras major. My petite poire is part of the round. A very small muscle on top of in french "l'araigné" wich is a weird cut of beef with a spider web of fat on it. Not a cut from the elbow or chuck like teras major. Surprisingly difficult to get translations for beef cuts. Google seems to think it is because of different ways to feed and care for cows between france and UK/US? Very interesting tho.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 27, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
so i'm making a pork cheek stew tomorrow but when i ran out of stuff on the shelves i asked the supermarket butcher if they had any more. he bought out a full? cheek unpacked. it weighs 1.1kg and i'm going to use it for stew but was wondering if thats full size to make guanciale

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Speaking of leaving meat in the fridge for 6 months, I've been given a whole prosciutto that's been wrapped in saran wrap molding it up in a restaurant fridge for almost a year. The fat side looks fine, but the other side is 100% covered in mostly blue-green mold. Is it possibly salvageable? What do I need to know?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

The Goatfather posted:

Speaking of leaving meat in the fridge for 6 months, I've been given a whole prosciutto that's been wrapped in saran wrap molding it up in a restaurant fridge for almost a year. The fat side looks fine, but the other side is 100% covered in mostly blue-green mold. Is it possibly salvageable? What do I need to know?

Don't eat human legs

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Buying a smoker has kickstarted charcuterie for me - I'm curing an entire pork belly currently, half is regular bacon, the other half maple bacon. For my first go at bacon, I've decided to brine it and hot smoke it - I'd love to cold smoke it, but it's way too hot currently.

Next up will likely be Corned Beef, Pastrami, Duck Breast Prosciutto, and Pancetta.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 18, 2016

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

edit: nvrmnd

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Buying a smoker has kickstarted charcuterie for me - I'm curing an entire pork belly currently, half is regular bacon, the other half maple bacon. For my first go at bacon, I've decided to brine it and hot smoke it - I'd love to cold smoke it, but it's way too hot currently.

Next up will likely be Corned Beef, Pastrami, Duck Breast Prosciutto, and Pancetta.

Good luck!

I should try brine one day but dry curing seems much more popular and I had such fantastic results I would need a ton of convincing to switch.
Tell us how it goes!

I ordered a new pork belly from my butcher. I should get that friday. Frankly I, and a lot of friends and family, cannot live without this bacon that I produce. It's insane how much peoples like it. They're so proud to tell me they used it in some dich for someone and it was so good. ALways talking about buying it. But the permits to do it legaly are hell here and I just like giving it away. Try to explain to them that
a: it makes me happy to make them happy
b: I can afford it
c: giving it away makes me need to make another batch faster thus extending my fun of doing it, the gain in experience and trying out new stuff.

Also ordered Salumi because why the hell not! I have a sausage adapter for a hand crank meat grinder. Not ideal I guess but hey I can make sausage in it I will make sausage in it.

Come on guys we can't be the only two left who do charcuterie! This thread is depressing!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I made some Pancetta recently, then my fridge broke and it went bad :-( Good thing I froze half of it!

I used Ruhlman's recipe and it's a little salty for my taste, but it's still pretty decent.

I'm planning on either doing another bresaola, or some other whole muscle cure soon, any suggestions?

holttho
May 21, 2007

Lonzino is always a great recipe to make; it is as easy to make as it is good to eat. Guanciale is also a strong go if you can get your hands on some cheeks.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Iznogood posted:

Come on guys we can't be the only two left who do charcuterie! This thread is depressing!

I like reading about adventures in charcuterie and buying it from my local vendors. Not brave enough to do myself...yet.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

holttho posted:

Lonzino is always a great recipe to make; it is as easy to make as it is good to eat. Guanciale is also a strong go if you can get your hands on some cheeks.

Got a Lonzino recipe that you like? Charcuterie doesn't have one.

holttho
May 21, 2007

I can't find the original blog-post recipe that I used a year or so ago, but this first one is very similar to what I did; very simple cure with just salts, pepper, juniper, and bay.

http://mattikaarts.com/blog/home-cured-lonzino-pork-loin/

It is strikingly similar in spices to pancetta, but is much easier to just slice off a hunk and eat it rather than having to fry it up like bacon.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

djfooboo posted:

I like reading about adventures in charcuterie and buying it from my local vendors. Not brave enough to do myself...yet.

I'm with you... Though Costco had pork bellies for about 20 bucks, which makes trying bacon very tempting.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I can add to discussion by talking about my local meatery, Smoking Goose. Their gin and juice salame is the stuff of legends. I plan on taking on of their classes one day.

holttho
May 21, 2007

I would say definitely take their class. For me, one of the hardest things starting out on my own was simply that: getting starting. Having a class to help give that little hand-held push would be ideal.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
What do you suggest for this?

https://imgur.com/5fPfJIw

I'm gonna go for a dry rub of back and belly skritchies, and a long low smoke for a period of 7-12 years under oak :)

(No, we're not eating him. This is Michelangelo, he's a runt that was not doing well with mom, I'm hand raising him for the farm I work at, we'll be training him as a mascot and farm outreach animal)

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

djfooboo posted:

I can add to discussion by talking about my local meatery, Smoking Goose. Their gin and juice salame is the stuff of legends. I plan on taking on of their classes one day.

'Sup, Hoosiergoon! I really need to get down there. They've been doing lots of great stuff and just seem to have a great, open attitude in everything I've read. They're doing great things for local food, which Indiana really needs. Our country here is so drat fertile you'd think we'd be all over that sort of thing.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

third batch of bacon on it's way!
This time 4 kilos of prime pork belly. Thikest part easely 3''. What a beauty.

Been curing since sunday. Expected to go on smoker in 6-9 days depending cure. This time I know not to rince off too much salt. Should be a great batch.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I was at the grocery store and they had brisket so I bought a piece and made pastrami for the first time.

Here's the brine I made per the Ruhlman recipe.

After three days in the brine it looked like this dead grey thing pictured.

Using a mortar and pestle I ground up black pepper and coriander seed and rubbed it on the outside.

The AMNPS says to light the pellets for 10 minutes with a propane torch. I only have an MAPP/pro torch and after about seven minutes I was getting worried I was going to melt through the AMNPS. I followed the rest of its instructions and it seemed ok.

In the traeger which was also set to "smoke" I got about 6 hours of smoke on the pastrami at which point it was at 150F internal and I wanted to go to bed. I didn't trust the AMNPS all night cold smoking without me there, and didn't want to get up early, so I brought it inside at this point and let it rest in the fridge wrapped in foil for a couple of days.

Then I vacuum bagged it.

I threw it in a 170F water bath and went on a five hour bicycle adventure.

I rested it for about 15 minutes and sliced.

Here's a sandwich. All in all I'd say it came out ok. I might spend more time cooking it, and might cook it a little more done to break it down a bit. As a first try though it was a fun project and the sandwich was pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

I've been making bacon and fresh sausage for a few years now; more recently (the last year, basically), I've moved on to dry cured salumi. Here's my chamber (a freezer I bought on Craigslist):

You can see the pancetta in the back. On the left is pepperoni, the fatter salamis are lamb, and in the front is a bresaola, a garam masala coppa, and on the far right, a traditional sweet coppa.

Today the pepperoni came out! I also pulled the smallest lamb salami (it was at 37% weight loss, which is less than I usually do, but I was really wanting to try it.

Pepperoni: 8/10. It's a little less assertive than I usually like (I thought my kids might like it), but not bad. It'll be great on pizza.

Lamb: 7/10. Too much coriander, the bind is so-so, and it really needed a few more weeks to dry. I'll pull the others at 40-45% and I bet they'll be better.

The nice thing about this hobby is that you always have something to pull out when guests come over, or to bring as a gift (more interesting than a bottle of wine!) I tend not to eat nearly as much as I make, so I have a fridge drawer filled with stuff I've made. I'll post more pictures if there is interest.

• Locked thread