Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
So Natinonalist China wanted to pay me back for the 8 divisions I sent to help them out against the Japanese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
lol vancouver is worth more VP than toronto, wtf

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone got ideas on how Britain conquers the world for the achievement?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

They probably didn't want too many VPs in the eastern parts of Canada.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Are the funky wars of the new beta patch lame? I am thinking about starting a new one but will hold off and play some bad Steam summer sale games in the meantime if it is as bad as I hear.

Like, is that Soviet China pic from the Beta patch.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Arrhythmia posted:

Probably to force the Canadian player to defend so they don't mortgage Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton and are forced to guard them instead of withdrawing to Winnipeg or even Windsor

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Decrepus posted:

It would be nice if there was more to do with Make Your Tank Better Points.

I'm surprised that experience and doctrines have no correlation, since, ya know...

It'd be interesting to see how that'd effect gameplay if doctrines were either purchased with experience, or gated a bit behind having X amount of experience.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Dear AI, I am not very impressed that I have to finish off Axis and Italy by taking Sicily when I am allied Australia, and you have like 200 divisions sitting around on Italy doing nothing, as well as solid naval supremacy in the med.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

ExtraNoise posted:

Just did a whole bunch of portraits for my modern mod and wanted to share. I really appreciate everyone's help with finding world leaders and this is kind of the fruition of that work.

Still so many more to do...

Any countries/ideologies you don't have base portraits for yet? I've got nothing to do until August and trawling the depths of the Internet for photos of obscure politicians could help use up a few days of sitting on rear end.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Who pays upkeep/manpower for expeditionary divisions?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

What's the best way to deal with submarine fleets?

I'm playing as Italy, and I read here that doing well is contingent upon being able to lock down the Med. With that in mind, I pulled my fleets back into the Med, combined them all, then split it in half. I sent one fleet to guard the Straits of Gibraltar and another to camp the Suez Canal. At one point I got pulled into war with France and later the UK. My fleets spent the whole time engaging this one French submarine fleet over and over, never killing any of them (but never losing any ships, either). While they were faffing about, the UK sailed in and conducted a naval invasion of the Italian peninsula with absolutely zero naval support. My fleets didn't do anything because they were fighting that same stupid sub fleet, and somehow the hundreds of naval bombers I had doing missions in the area didn't notice it.

Naval combat is very opaque to me. Despite watching ships move towards and away from a dashed line more times than I can count, I still have no clear idea of how it works. I'm guessing there's some benefit to having smaller fleets rather than cramming all your ships together into massive wrecking balls. If that's the case, what's the ideal fleet composition?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

The ai is better. China surrounded me as japan and stomped me into the ground because i didnt expect it

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Huh. The way the ai divvies up casualties between wars is wonky. I was doing a Tuva game, and after me and my best bud Germany killed those soviet fuckers. (Clearly I was the deciding factor) I started a war solely against Mongolia. Germany somehow took half a million losses and between that and the bombing that I'm pretty sure also didn't exist and somehow got a higher warscore and stole my burgeoning Tuvan empire out from under me.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Arrhythmia posted:

vancouver was a more important city during the war than toronto -- major western port, and frankly toronto had yet to eclipse montreal in terms of importance in canada in general.

not gonna claim that paradox made it that way based off a deep understanding of Canada's history but it works out anyway

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Schizotek posted:

Huh. The way the ai divvies up casualties between wars is wonky. I was doing a Tuva game, and after me and my best bud Germany killed those soviet fuckers. (Clearly I was the deciding factor) I started a war solely against Mongolia. Germany somehow took half a million losses and between that and the bombing that I'm pretty sure also didn't exist and somehow got a higher warscore and stole my burgeoning Tuvan empire out from under me.

I'm not entirely clear on this, but isn't the warscore contributor casualties inflicted, and not casualties taken?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm not entirely clear on this, but isn't the warscore contributor casualties inflicted, and not casualties taken?
If so it's double wonky because those german fuckers never set foot in Mongolia. So unless it was counting casualties from the previous war its still janky.

e: Maybe they still had troops inside Russia, since I'd been prepping for the invasion to kick off the second USSR capitulated, and the Germans massacred them or something. Only saw a single division when I was in there.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 27, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Nope, it's taken.

Schizotek posted:

Are you sure your war wasn't merged with another one?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dreylad posted:

vancouver was a more important city during the war than toronto -- major western port, and frankly toronto had yet to eclipse montreal in terms of importance in canada in general.

not gonna claim that paradox made it that way based off a deep understanding of Canada's history but it works out anyway

Yeah you beat me too it. Victoria and Vancouver were very important back then, Victoria had the main pacific fleet base and Vancouver was canada's main pacific port. Toronto was still 2nd fiddle to Montreal up until the 70's or so.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Decrepus posted:

Are the funky wars of the new beta patch lame? I am thinking about starting a new one but will hold off and play some bad Steam summer sale games in the meantime if it is as bad as I hear.

Like, is that Soviet China pic from the Beta patch.
If you want to play historical and NOT play germany, i'd hold off as they seem to get stymied in the lowlands every game

otherwise, go for it. the changes are good.

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx

I'm playing as Mongolia and noticed that Germany suddenly evacuated their troops from their eastern border while at war with the Comintern. Turns out they stuffed the majority of their divisions in Korea. :psyduck:

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Volunteer divisions seem pretty broken. In my Italy game there are a ton of Japanese Divisions fighting in France/Belgium for me and Germany in 1939.

I had 11 divisions in Africa all ready for the desert war and it looks like the U.K have pulled out entirely?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Abongination posted:

Volunteer divisions seem pretty broken. In my Italy game there are a ton of Japanese Divisions fighting in France/Belgium for me and Germany in 1939.

I had 11 divisions in Africa all ready for the desert war and it looks like the U.K have pulled out entirely?

UK AI seems to have pretty messed-up priorities, happy to land troops in France and conduct naval invasions of Italy but leaves the home isles/Gibraltar/Suez pretty much undefended.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Arrhythmia posted:

just like real life both historically and immediately

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
gently caress the usa this poo poo is boring as hell i want to conquer.

i'm going to go the "how i learned whatever it is i know about eu4 route"

I'm going to go hungary so i can get some action and i guess i get a cool gently caress romania event sorta? so ok bam done and settled. I fiddle faddled with this earlier and managed to lose 60% of my manpower in war then i recruited a motorized and an infantry and then my manpower was 0 idk what that means since i assume it doent come back by month like eu4. I quit then since i was p hosed despite sloooowly getting into Romanian territory.

tips plz

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

verbal enema posted:

gently caress the usa this poo poo is boring as hell i want to conquer.

i'm going to go the "how i learned whatever it is i know about eu4 route"

I'm going to go hungary so i can get some action and i guess i get a cool gently caress romania event sorta? so ok bam done and settled. I fiddle faddled with this earlier and managed to lose 60% of my manpower in war then i recruited a motorized and an infantry and then my manpower was 0 idk what that means since i assume it doent come back by month like eu4. I quit then since i was p hosed despite sloooowly getting into Romanian territory.

tips plz

You do regain manpower, but not really at a level that's sustainable for training/reinforcing your forces. You can hover over the manpower figure to see its replenishment every month.

When you have enough political power you should change your manpower laws - they'll instantly grow your pool of conscriptable men. Fascists can change their manpower laws to be quite extensive even before being in a war, albeit at the cost of some industrial power.

For countries with a low manpower base, it might be useful to use the Mass Assault land doctrine, the technologies there will give you more manpower.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
thank you

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I just conquered France (well, it was Netherlands, Belguim, then France because they're interventionist jerks) as Fascist Britain, using only 16 starting divisions plus four extra cavalry+heavy tank brigades that I deployed at 20% training well after I had taken Paris. France folds like a house of cards if you don't invade by the Maginot Line.

Now I can justify as much as I want without triggering WW2 because democracy on this planet now consists of the still-isolationist USA.

Overall a very successful Benelux Intervention. e: The Spanish Civil War is still going holy lol. France folded that fast.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
when u have a horse guy unit train the horse doesnt train i'd like to horse to prance about

its just some dickhead doing jumping jacks and pushups by the horse horses need training too

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
My Revolutionary Argentina game is going pretty solid. It's more interesting than the HoI3 South American conquest was, which is a good sign. The South American and Central American countries seem more willing to join factions (Peru and a couple other nations joined Italy's faction, which was interesting since that faction was also at war with the Allies), and I was able to time my Brazil conquest to go off just a little bit before the US (which I had flipped to Communist with a coup) grabbed the national focus that caused a Brazilian civil war. I've conquered the Panama Canal, and am now fortifying and consolidating it while I pick off the remaining easy Central American countries, build up my navy (which is running afoul of the Allied navies a lot less often now that I have CAS patrolling the seas), and figure out the best way to transitioning my towed artillery to rocket artillery.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

TheDemon posted:

I just conquered France (well, it was Netherlands, Belguim, then France because they're interventionist jerks) as Fascist Britain, using only 16 starting divisions plus four extra cavalry+heavy tank brigades that I deployed at 20% training well after I had taken Paris. France folds like a house of cards if you don't invade by the Maginot Line.

Now I can justify as much as I want without triggering WW2 because democracy on this planet now consists of the still-isolationist USA.

Overall a very successful Benelux Intervention. e: The Spanish Civil War is still going holy lol. France folded that fast.

Early France has crazy low national unity, and at least in some early wars they can get a civil war which fucks them further.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

The Narrator posted:

For countries with a low manpower base, it might be useful to use the Mass Assault land doctrine, the technologies there will give you more manpower.

i'm not seeing this anywhere?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

verbal enema posted:

i'm not seeing this anywhere?

found it my bad

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

verbal enema posted:

when u have a horse guy unit train the horse doesnt train i'd like to horse to prance about

its just some dickhead doing jumping jacks and pushups by the horse horses need training too

Make the horse do jumping jacks too

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

verbal enema posted:

Agreed.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Is there a basic rule of thumb for calculating how many production lines you need to keep a certain number of standard divisions supplied through sustained fighting? Playing as America, I keep thinking I've got enough industry going to join the war, only to find my troops running out of bullets after a month or two, usually when they're just in the process of capturing Berlin.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
how do i recruit?? its been like a year and i still haven't gotten a "new unit"

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

verbal enema posted:

how do i recruit?? its been like a year and i still haven't gotten a "new unit"

Check that you have enough equipment for that unit.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Schizotek posted:

Any countries/ideologies you don't have base portraits for yet? I've got nothing to do until August and trawling the depths of the Internet for photos of obscure politicians could help use up a few days of sitting on rear end.

Absolutely! That would be great!

I've made a copy of the spreadsheet here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DbIj9VaxmHFMKgDcwSfJZkPpKHYWNpAA9FbDpmh2zbg/edit?usp=sharing

Feel free to fill in stuff. Goons have been leaving links to portraits in the "leader 0 picture" column. A "D" in that column means I've got them done. I'm looking for photos of decent quality, in color, are relatively large so I can shrink down and mask, have space around the face that includes their shoulders/top of chest, and were taken around 1993.

Really appreciate any help. It means a ton. Let me know if you put some stuff in the sheet and I'll put you in the credits.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

CommunistPancake posted:

Check that you have enough equipment for that unit.

sometimes i can see it sometimes i cant where do i need to look to find it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

verbal enema posted:

sometimes i can see it sometimes i cant where do i need to look to find it

Hover over the left bar of box for the unit.