Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Gortarius posted:

I'm just checking out a bunch of youtube clips as a summary so I have to ask: The sept blows up and then the next scene with Olenna is her in Dorne demanding vengeange?

It's later on and the implication is that the Martells invited her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The stunning revelation of why Sansa kept the Vale army a secret :

"gently caress, I really shoulda told you about the Vale army"

Thoughts on the significance of Sansa and Peter's long awkward gaze at the white wolf coronation?

I'm like 95% sure sansa will kill lf in the end so I'm pretty sure next season she plays along and fucks him and then stabs him in the back and it'd be like that moment when lf stabbed ned in the back but in reverse

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
guys the episode is pretty good considering the fact that grrm most likely didn't actually write any of those parts in his books yet so dnd had to fill in for him

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

tin can made man posted:

no, you're right, this finale was actually legit thrilling and a beautiful bit of craft and art by the people on the set, behind the camera, and in the editing room, but all that just makes the script so jarringly bad by comparison

the HBO program "Game of Thrones" devoted about a minute or so of screentime to fat white dick WRT podrick payne, so let's call it even

the script is godawful but they manged to make it into really entertaining tv that's guaranteed to resolve the plot of A Song of Ice and Fire before them books ever do so I'm ok with it

the only scene in this episode that was super jarring and nonsensical was Varys being on the boat so that's an ok ending for a season

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Darth Windu posted:

Also he didn't hella eat people and enjoy it

why did Arya cook two unnamed characters into a pie? have you ever tried to cook just a regular pie from scratch IRL? that's like a whole afternoon? so Arya like, spends her morning chopping up two Featured Extras that 90% of the audience couldn't pick out of a lineup if they had murdered their own son who was also a king, then making the crust, mixing the ingredients, setting the pastry and firing the oven for baking... and for what??? an extra bit of "gently caress u walder frey"? dude didn't even take a bite, she might as well have shown him a polaroid of their dead bodies for all the extra ~Vengeance~ or whatever the gently caress it gave her

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Typo posted:

guys the episode is pretty good considering the fact that grrm most likely didn't actually write any of those parts in his books yet so dnd had to fill in for him

The documentary thing for episodes 9&10 make it sound like the sept explosion was something they came with. But then again it also fits with the books to a degree.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Double post.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I think it's implied that whatever Walder was eating before also had bits of Creme de Frey in it?

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Linguica posted:

People have been wondering for years if Varys would ever meet Dany and what Dany's reaction would be to meeting the guy who paid Jorah to betray her / send an assassin after her, but they just did it offscreen lmao

maybe she didn't know Varys was there, he was standing behind her.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

MrMojok posted:

I think it's implied that whatever Walder was eating before also had bits of Creme de Frey in it?

real subtle implication, having him eating some generic food that's onscreen for a literal second and then her bringing forth an uncut pie, him saying "where are my two sons" and her replying "your two sons are in here" and then showing a thumb inside of it. D&D are true artisans

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The High Sparrow guy aced it as always. Watching his face as he realized that his faith wouldn't save him was incredible.

OH boy. It's gonna be TroyFromCommunityWalksIntoRoomOnFire.gif when Dany arrives.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

So Melisandre is probably going to Euron based on that new chapter.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

tin can made man posted:

real subtle implication, having him eating some generic food that's onscreen for a literal second and then her bringing forth an uncut pie, him saying "where are my two sons" and her replying "your two sons are in here" and then showing a thumb inside of it. D&D are true artisans

agreed that this episode suffered from throwing out fan service to the dumb books

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

tin can made man posted:

Cut to Hot Pie in the Frey kitchen, giving a fourth wall-breaking nod to the viewer.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
The biggest case of whiplash on this show ever is having Queen of Thorns drag the Sand Snakes and then Varys hauls in and declares an alliance with Dorne-Dany. Please no.

:lol: at Cersei rushing the throne to be the first queen so that Dany can't add that to her claims.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

my bony fealty posted:

agreed that this episode suffered from throwing out fan service to the dumb books

frey pies and Ellaria/Varys tag-teaming Doran's speech from AFFC, complete with rehearsed cues and finishing each others sentences, are some really bizarre ASOIAF cargo cult poo poo happening in the GOT writers room

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Typo posted:

haha cersei did 9/11 the sept

Was it kind of a reverse 9/11 (an 11/9?) since it was blowing up a religious building?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ashpanash posted:

Was it kind of a reverse 9/11 (a 1/19?) since it was blowing up a religious building?

It was really more like the Chantry blowing up in Dragon Age 2.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

tin can made man posted:

frey pies and Ellaria/Varys tag-teaming Doran's speech from AFFC, complete with rehearsed cues and finishing each others sentences, are some really bizarre ASOIAF cargo cult poo poo happening in the GOT writers room

oh definitely, it would've been great if we could've seen those more nuanced motivations and characterizations portrayed onscreen but I can't really blame the tv writers for simplifying it into what we got because really what else were they going to do

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

monster on a stick posted:

I have no idea what this is. So 9/11 is probably a better reference since I'm pretty sure people know what that is.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Is Meereen a constitutional monarchy now? Dany says they're going to select their own leaders. That's kind of a huge step forward in their backwards political system.

I was thinking the same thing.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

my bony fealty posted:

the script is godawful but they manged to make it into really entertaining tv that's guaranteed to resolve the plot of A Song of Ice and Fire before them books ever do so I'm ok with it

the only scene in this episode that was super jarring and nonsensical was Varys being on the boat so that's an ok ending for a season

The scene has Martell, Tyrell and Greyjoy banners on the ships so they all rendezvoused somewhere first

All Varys did was go back to Dany after the entire fleet had assembled; but yes they should have made it more obvious

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
white sovereign from a political family conquers and ravages an eastern region, then goes home and says "you guys pick ur own leaders now" while leaving a mercenary organization behind to oversee the transition, should work out pretty okay

kater
Nov 16, 2010

So the time skip poo poo has to be intentional right? I want to be the most forgiving person in the world with regards to this poo poo, but Varys was just a bridge too far. There *has* to be some poo poo going on.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ashpanash posted:

I have no idea what this is. So 9/11 is probably a better reference since I'm pretty sure people know what that is.

Wildfire doesn't melt steel beams though.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

ashpanash posted:

You're talking to nerds, we need video game references to understand stuff.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

tin can made man posted:

white sovereign from a political family conquers and ravages an eastern region, then goes home and says "you guys pick ur own leaders now" while leaving a mercenary organization behind to oversee the transition, should work out pretty okay
That's been her entire storyline. If this was real life, Meereen would immediately go to poo poo again, but since this is fiction and we already wrapped up a "Meereen is destabilized" plot (without ever discovering the leader of the Sons of the Harpies), I don't think we can go down that route again.

kater posted:

So the time skip poo poo has to be intentional right? I want to be the most forgiving person in the world with regards to this poo poo, but Varys was just a bridge too far. There *has* to be some poo poo going on.
In what way? He's not time traveling or literally teleporting. The show is just cutting out what would be weeks of dead air travel time with nothing interesting going on.

Lycus posted:

You're talking to nerds, we need video game references to understand stuff.

Dragon Age explicitly rips off ASOIAF so much that it's just kind of funny seeing the show do something that DA did first.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Wildfire doesn't melt steel beams though.

Are you suggesting it was a hologram?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ashpanash posted:

Are you suggesting it was a hologram?

Wouldn't that make sense?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Oiled and Ready posted:

The scene has Martell, Tyrell and Greyjoy banners on the ships so they all rendezvoused somewhere first

All Varys did was go back to Dany after the entire fleet had assembled; but yes they should have made it more obvious

my general feeling is that there was plenty of time to establish these thing earlier in the season, e.g. varys could have left mereen in episode 2 and had a scene with olenna tyrell instead of the dumb ramsay/osha murder couple minutes, but i'm not the one writing emmy-award-winning television

vv you could've though if the pacing was better, i.e. killing loris and then mace to isolate marg and force olenna into it

my bony fealty fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 27, 2016

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

my general feeling is that there was plenty of time to establish these thing earlier in the season, e.g. varys could have left mereen in episode 2 and had a scene with olenna tyrell instead of the dumb ramsay/osha murder couple minutes, but i'm not the one writing emmy-award-winning television

Olenna wouldn't have allied with Varys before the death of her family, and you couldn't kill off her family until the finale. They could've had a scene with Varys and Ellaria earlier, I guess, but that'd be more Dorne, and no one wants that. Olenna doesn't even want to hear the Dornish characters speak.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Wouldn't that make sense?

And what happened to building VII?

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

tin can made man posted:

why did Arya cook two unnamed characters into a pie? have you ever tried to cook just a regular pie from scratch IRL? that's like a whole afternoon? so Arya like, spends her morning chopping up two Featured Extras that 90% of the audience couldn't pick out of a lineup if they had murdered their own son who was also a king, then making the crust, mixing the ingredients, setting the pastry and firing the oven for baking... and for what??? an extra bit of "gently caress u walder frey"? dude didn't even take a bite, she might as well have shown him a polaroid of their dead bodies for all the extra ~Vengeance~ or whatever the gently caress it gave her

She'd been at the Frey's keep since Jamie visited at least, she was probably trying to decide if she could kill him while she was staring at him, she probably infiltrated it when he showed up with an army, but decided against killing him as it might have compromised getting Freys (also because she might not have had the opportunity or enough recon yet). I can only assume she stayed there working as a servant in the kitchen figuring out the regular schedule of Walder Frey and his sons, waiting until the moment was right to kill them. Since she's in the kitchen anyway as a servant she's still gotta cook, and what better way to get revenge than feeding him his own sons, which is ~*~*poetic~*~ in that she's serving him the food, and the reason Walders betrayl of Robb was so messed up was it was after he'd given them guest right by feeding them.

Also I figured it's kind of implied that Walder had already eaten some of his son via whatever else he had been eating.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Is the significance of the white raven just that they only send a white one if the message is "Winter is Here?"

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

my bony fealty posted:

vv you could've though if the pacing was better, i.e. killing lancel and then mace to isolate marg and force olenna into it

Episode 10 has usually been a few choice reveals but mainly a detente from episode 9s. This episode was shocking even though the events were predictable given enough time....that sept explosion after a long musical build-up and the immediate knowledge half the KL cast has been disintegrated was amazing, and if it was done earlier it would have overshadowed other events.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Nichael posted:

(without ever discovering the leader of the Sons of the Harpies)

nah, this was done in the show when Undisputed Master of Spycraft Varys captured some prostitute and was all "who is leading our enemy???" and she responds "your other enemies" and he goes "ah, good, now off I go to Dorne"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Betting Jon makes the Nightfort his seat in S7.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

tin can made man posted:

nah, this was done in the show when Undisputed Master of Spycraft Varys captured some prostitute and was all "who is leading our enemy???" and she responds "your other enemies" and he goes "ah, good, now off I go to Dorne"

I forgot that. I think your version of the script for that scene should be submitted for an Emmy though.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Ace of Baes posted:

She'd been at the Frey's keep since Jamie visited at least, she was probably trying to decide if she could kill him while she was staring at him, she probably infiltrated it when he showed up with an army, but decided against killing him as it might have compromised getting Freys (also because she might not have had the opportunity or enough recon yet). I can only assume she stayed there working as a servant in the kitchen figuring out the regular schedule of Walder Frey and his sons, waiting until the moment was right to kill them. Since she's in the kitchen anyway as a servant she's still gotta cook, and what better way to get revenge than feeding him his own sons, which is ~*~*poetic~*~ in that she's serving him the food, and the reason Walders betrayl of Robb was so messed up was it was after he'd given them guest right by feeding them.

Also I figured it's kind of implied that Walder had already eaten some of his son via whatever else he had been eating.

this is a cool theory and if the writers/directors even had even halfway the same idea and any sort of competence it would have been reflected in the actual product. also, walder didn't even take a bite before Arya is all "lol, its ur sons"

MrMojok posted:

Is the significance of the white raven just that they only send a white one if the message is "Winter is Here?"

They also sent a white one three or four years ago to say "Summer's over, winter's almost here" and they, as mentioned by someone else, didn't know who was in charge of the Wall when a dozen other characters did so who knows what the gently caress the Maesters are doing in the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I could've sworn he was eating something as she walked up to him.

Speaking of seasons, are Westerosi autumns and springs equal in length to summers and winters? Seems like they're a lot shorter.

• Locked thread