Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

babypolis posted:

yes the tiny models that focus on a very specific thing are usually really cool and good. economic analysis is capable of some good poo poo when not constrained by its own bullshit by necessity

the problem is that a lot of stuff builds upon those lovely micro models. like most macro models, some of which rule our world. ever heard of ricardian equivalence? that poo poo is absolutely bonkers retarded and yet its a founding principle behind austerity

Yeah, Ricardian equivalence is a good math problem to teach to undergrads but shouldn't be taken seriously irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Tautologicus posted:

Yes, economies go through natural cycles, this is a good thing...they had a good period, now they have a bad period. They are avoiding the boom-bust cycle of American capitalism, this is to be learned from.

how is "having a good period, then a bad period" not a "boom-bust cycle"

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Typo posted:

Yeah, Ricardian equivalence is a good math problem to teach to undergrads but shouldn't be taken seriously irl

that describes a pretty significant chunk of economic orthodoxy imo

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Homework Explainer posted:

gross

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Karl Sharks posted:

the solution to more women having trouble having a career and family and do everything is not to then tell some of them maybe they should go back to the kitchen

Kind of crude

Basically the glut of women entering the workforce lowered wages for everyone, for uncertain gain. Women are I suppose freer to leave their marriages because they have their own incomes. I suppose that's also why divorces have skyrocketed over the past few decades.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Homework Explainer posted:

Significant portions of the population are not out on the street during the bust portion like they are in America.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Tautologicus posted:

i don't know but i think there being female breadwinners is an aberration and a function of economic necessity rather than the peaking of some egalitarian social trend. i do not think that without pressure for women to go to school and work that they would still go to school and work in the same kind of way that they do right now.

the university systems have become bloated and dysfunctional ever since women became students en masse, and the job markets have become predatory and mercenary ever since women entered the workforce in droves.

How? What?

:barf:

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Tautologicus posted:

Kind of crude

Basically the glut of women entering the workforce lowered wages for everyone, for uncertain gain. Women are I suppose freer to leave their marriages because they have their own incomes. I suppose that's also why divorces have skyrocketed over the past few decades.

are you even trying anymore?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Tautologicus posted:

Kind of crude

haha wow

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Professional... women!? :negative:

The end of America is nigh.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Tautologicus posted:

Kind of crude

are you really old? or like doing a gimmick of a really old person? just wondering

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Tautologicus posted:

Significant portions of the population are not out on the street during the bust portion like they are in America.

Sure, they just get paid less, which makes it even harder to pull out of the bust

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
what nml believes:

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Karl Sharks posted:

are you even trying anymore?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Typo posted:

what nml believes:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Well yeah, between the legalization of no-fault divorce and the ability to not be dependent on your man for sustenance, of course the bitches would go looking for a better deal. :argh:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

p sure that was due to no-fault divorce being legal (i.e. they wanted to before but couldn't because the laws didn't allow it without basically getting someone jailed)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Shipon posted:

p sure that was due to no-fault divorce being legal (i.e. they wanted to before but couldn't because the laws didn't allow it without basically getting someone jailed)

:hf:

Fun fact: New York has the tightest laws on divorce in the country, but the assholes have allowed a loophole where you can apply to a judge for legal separation and a few years of that works as a justification.

This country's morality is collapsing. :(

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

you suppose "uncertain gain" includes more freedom for women in their lives

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

who cares

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
man I'm glad trump supporters are bak itt, sparking entertaining conversations about everything from math to economics to women's rights

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Typo posted:

man I'm glad trump supporters are bak itt, sparking entertaining conversations about everything from math to economics to women's rights

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tautologicus posted:

i don't know but i think there being female breadwinners is an aberration and a function of economic necessity rather than the peaking of some egalitarian social trend. i do not think that without pressure for women to go to school and work that they would still go to school and work in the same kind of way that they do right now.

the university systems have become bloated and dysfunctional ever since women became students en masse, and the job markets have become predatory and mercenary ever since women entered the workforce in droves.

haha

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Karl Sharks posted:

you suppose "uncertain gain" includes more freedom for women in their lives

Divorces affect children, those future breadwinners of america

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Tautologicus posted:

being in a household where your parents don't want to be together affects them too

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
"Night crew got off on a 500 post tangent about bush did 9/11, this thread sucks now"

*night crew the next night proceeds to be 100x less fun*

Taut, Brexit was purposefully allowed so the globalists can gently caress the UK till November and ensure Trump is seen as a vote for economic collapse, discuss

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

divorce is rad, and marriage is a shaky institution in the first place

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Oiled and Ready posted:

"Night crew got off on a 500 post tangent about bush did 9/11, this thread sucks now"

Taut, Brexit was purposefully allowed so the globalists can gently caress the UK till November and ensure Trump is seen as a vote for economic collapse, discuss

I know right?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i really hope there is a big nuclear was so all this is moot

cmon putin strut your stuff

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Zelder posted:

divorce creates jobs too

why do you think trump keeps getting divorced and remarried? he just can't help creating jobs

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Karl Sharks posted:

being in a household where your parents don't want to be together affects them too

This only matters if you think the woman isn't property

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Oiled and Ready posted:

I can personally vouch for this, the lizard alien I work for is good friends with Boris Johnson and he''s just delighted with the outcome. :3:

Edit: he does, however, have some critiques of Boris' human suit

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Oiled and Ready posted:

I doubt it, big money does better in bull markets than bear markets, since in bear markets they have to borrow whatever they're short selling. Was just the first thought that came to mind. I do not have any further opinion on this

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Zelder posted:

divorce is almost as cool as abortion, is there a cool conspiracy theory about that?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zelder posted:

yea fuckit

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Tautologicus posted:

since you're all about personal experiences shaping beliefs, did your parents divorce?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Karl Sharks posted:

since you're all about personal experiences shaping beliefs, did your parents divorce?

yes but at no point was i ever trying to make this a therapy session so don't assume any of my experience sharing is searching for outside analysis. i just think it is instructive in my understanding of the phenomenon.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Tautologicus posted:

I do not have any further opinion on this

R A R E
A
R
E

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I don't see why a few days of market volatility is seen as the definitive reason why Brexit was a bad idea. Markets react to EVERYTHING

And of course they were going to take a hit, it's now an uncertain time. Markets price in uncertainty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Tautologicus posted:

I don't see why a few days of market volatility is seen as the definitive reason why Brexit was a bad idea. Markets react to EVERYTHING

Why is Brexit a good idea?

• Locked thread