Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Filthy Hans posted:

The Wolf Ring is useless because Poise doesn't work and Ring of Steel's effect is disabled in pvp, you should ditch them both asap

He needs the Wolf ring to get any hyper armor at all because he's wearing no clothes and you need more than 0 poise for hyper armor to work doesn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

You are correct. You need at least one point for hyper armor to work.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

How can I make a viable faith caster build?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Obligatum VII posted:

If you were to design a dual weapon dragon claws that were the dragon equivalent of the beast claws, how would you approach it?

Personally, I'd go hog wild with the dragon illusions theme that they established with the twinkling stones and basically make it be like fighting with a dragon stand. They'd have "phantom" range because of the phantom dragon claws that show up when you swing, hah. I'dalso probably try to find a way to work fire breath into the L1 combo. Perhaps the 3rd hit being a dodge backwards using flame breath to propel yourself? Alternatively, some sort of leaping attack using phantom wings could be cool where you couldp ull off crazy swooping attacks like some sort of arial version of the Farron Greatsword.

I just hope that we get triple DLC like ds2.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Donald Kimball posted:

How can I make a viable faith caster build?

You make something else and then respec into it, youll still suck.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Re: dragon build. Take prisoner's chain or the carthus dodge ring, respec some equip load into 15 int and extra attunement.

Hidden Body, spook, and anorexia dragon with claws is going to freak the gently caress out of someone. Try to get the man-grub staff if you go above 3 spell slots as it adds luck scaling to damage spells.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Filthy Hans posted:

The Wolf Ring is useless because Poise doesn't work and Ring of Steel's effect is disabled in pvp, you should ditch them both asap

As stated poise does work to some extent and without the Wolf Ring I wouldn't get any hyperarmor during weapon arts at all. Regarding the Steel ring though, yeah, I've heard similar stories but I can't find any concrete information about it. I mean, Loyd's shield ring works great in PvP. Do you remember who tested that initially?

edit: oh nevermind, I found it. You're absolutely right, that's kinda useless!

Obligatum VII posted:

If you were to design a dual weapon dragon claws that were the dragon equivalent of the beast claws, how would you approach it?

Personally, I'd go hog wild with the dragon illusions theme that they established with the twinkling stones and basically make it be like fighting with a dragon stand. They'd have "phantom" range because of the phantom dragon claws that show up when you swing, hah. I'dalso probably try to find a way to work fire breath into the L1 combo. Perhaps the 3rd hit being a dodge backwards using flame breath to propel yourself? Alternatively, some sort of leaping attack using phantom wings could be cool where you couldp ull off crazy swooping attacks like some sort of arial version of the Farron Greatsword.

That sounds awesome! I'm imagining something like the Soul Greatsword/Dark Edge but with dragon claws instead of magic. And I really like the existing Dragon stones, but I wish they were all faster. The dragon roar is the only one remotely useful in PvP, and the Twinkling Dragon Torso isn't even useful in PvE.

Verizian posted:

Re: dragon build. Take prisoner's chain or the carthus dodge ring, respec some equip load into 15 int and extra attunement.

Hidden Body, spook, and anorexia dragon with claws is going to freak the gently caress out of someone. Try to get the man-grub staff if you go above 3 spell slots as it adds luck scaling to damage spells.

Heh, I started out doing something like that since I figured I didn't have any defense to begin with. I just couldn't make use of the Carthus ring since I'm fast rolling to begin with, and the extra damage felt significant. Dodging is one thing, but I still need to deal damage. The build works great against inexperienced players and during invasions - it is a quick bleed build after all - but I really want it to work consistently in duels.

Jordbo fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 27, 2016

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I just hope that we get triple DLC like ds2.

I believe we are. I think they said something about having all 3 of them coming out at the same time too.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

MarshyMcFly posted:

I believe we are. I think they said something about having all 3 of them coming out at the same time too.

they definitely did not.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

There is very little info about a 3rd too, but that was the initial plan. I'm hoping they are keeping quiet about it because they don't know when it'll be released because they haven't started work on it and it's not included in the season pass.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

MarshyMcFly posted:

They absolutely did not. There's two packs, with the first coming out in the fall, and the second sometime in 2017, as per the season pass. There may be more in the future, but that's the info we have now. Miyazaki recently confirmed the first one being out in the fall.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
was not ready for the screaming corpse zombie thing at 1am in the irithyll dungeon

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

This is my first time through any Souls game and I'd just like to say that putting the Dancer immediately after Aldrich like that is such a dick move. My souls :negative:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Hulk Krogan posted:

This is my first time through any Souls game and I'd just like to say that putting the Dancer immediately after Aldrich like that is such a dick move. My souls :negative:

You're perfectly free to just leave rather than starting the fight.

Which of course more or less requires you to know about the fight :getin:

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah I read about that after I lost 100k souls. Should have just run into a corner and used a homeward bone after starting the fight.

I'm torn between being mad because that seems pretty deliberately intended to trick anyone who wasn't reading a guide and appreciating a pretty masterful bit of trolling.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Or have Homeward Bones in one of your belt slots, which you should always do.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Or save and quit the game, and thus loading will drop you outside the boss fog like it has the rest of the series.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.

Supremezero posted:

Or save and quit the game, and thus loading will drop you outside the boss fog like it has the rest of the series.

After finishing the entire series including its DLC this is news to me. :psyduck:

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Supremezero posted:

God dammit. I just assumed this wouldn't work.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Hulk Krogan posted:

God dammit. I just assumed this wouldn't work.

It doesn't work if you have summons/invaders. Otherwise, yep.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Nothing quite like getting stunlocked in a corner by basic Hollows and losing all of your souls to remind you why you play this game.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
What is lost is easily replaced, as long as your fighting spirit still burns.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

What is lost is easily replaced, as long as your fighting spirit still burns.

Inspirational. I'll remember that next time a host and his 4 phantom friends applaud me as much as they can before my loading screen appears after running me down like a dog as an invader.

MarshyMcFly fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 27, 2016

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
It's all worth it for those times when you lure a naive ingenue in to the Carthus Dungeon skeleton ball.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

StrangeAeon posted:

Nothing quite like getting stunlocked in a corner by teledogs and losing all of your souls to remind you why you play this game.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

MarshyMcFly posted:

Inspirational. I'll remember that next time a host and his 4 phantom friends applaud me as much as they can before my loading screen appears after running me down like a dog as an invader.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Filthy Hans posted:

They're all really good weapons but I like the Greataxe the best. It takes some practice in PVE because of the shorter range but once you figure out the range and timing you'll be fine. The Heavy Greataxe slightly outdamages Yhorm's Great Machete and uses less stamina per swing than Yhorm's or Dragonslayer's Greataxe. I know you don't care about PVP but if you did the Greataxe has an advantage in that it has a guaranteed second hit if you land an R1, which is also true of the Dragonslayer's Greataxe but not Yhorm's or the regular Great Machete. It all comes down to preference, however, so try alternating them to see what works best. I really like the Daemon's Greataxe too but it requires an investment in magic stats to be worthwhile.

Just got Yhorm's to +5 but I'll get the Greataxe to +10 too because they're drat cool. My 8 slab usage list for this char is the following:

-Yhorm's Great Machete
-Spiked Mace
-Lucerne
-Gundyr's Halberd
-Greataxe
-Butcher's Knife
-Morning Star
-Pickaxe

That should cover all areas and hell, the morning star already surprised me building bleed with carthus rouge against the dancer, it isn't a carthus curved sword but it deals strike damage and deals decent damage against armored targets while slash weapons suck against them.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I was bored at work and came up with a neat setting idea for a cyberpunk Dark Souls game. Anyone wanna hear?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I was bored at work and came up with a neat setting idea for a cyberpunk Dark Souls game. Anyone wanna hear?

I did, but then you asked me if I wanted to hear about it instead of just posting, and I changed my mind. :justpost:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Okay so....

Essentially, things used to be a technological utopia where no one really died because there were nanomachines linked into everything that simply brought you back if you did die. Thing were going fine and dandy but there was a problem with the code, each time you died things became very slightly scrambled. The first few times death happens, no problem, not serious enough to cause problems.

But the more you died, the more your memories became scrambled and lost, and the more defects and mistakes were made in reconstructing you.

Until you literally became a horrible monster that could not die.

As a result everything collapsed, but the nanomachines maintain everything as still being alive and aware, even as their memories fade away to not even knowing who they are, even as the nanomachines desperately try to keep everything as "alive" as they can even with their slowly disintegrating code.

The player is tasked with collecting the nanobits from these creatures and amassing enough of them to rebuild a general portrait out of the amassed memories and nanobits to do a "factory reset" on the main reconstruction AI, allowing them to reset, temporarily, things back to the way they were.

Or, alternately, destroy the AI and let everything finally die, for good.

So basically there are two main currencies, nanobits and memories. Nanobits can be used to buy equipment, give you augments, basically physical poo poo. Memories can be equipped as a "class", giving you skills or perks based upon what the memory was about, or be used as upgrade materials or to make boss weapons.

Some creatures you'll face are things like the Dokkaebi, which are people and objects fused together as one and kept alive by the nanomachines.

So for a porcelain cat doll, you'd have a shambling, squat, oozing black ichor humanoid figure with cracked porcelain skin and a cat doll head slapped haphazardly ontop of it, as it makes screaming cat noises the entire time as it chases you.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
So, Soma, except an action game with RPG elements.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

So, Soma, except an action game with RPG elements.

Actually yeah, I did crib quite a lot from SOMA. It's a good game, after all.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHAW39GXFqQ

Don't get too excited, that's the Lords of the Fallen devs

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sakurazuka posted:

Eh, I don't expect much but I'd say this has more potential than LotF ever did. LotF was trying really hard to be Dark Souls and came across as being amazingly mediocre as a result. This looks to be more of its own thing.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Well I beat the soul of cinder alone and it only took like 6 tries (like a billion less than nameless king). One of the most fun fights in the game, I switched to dark sword because close in that things just shreds things with lightning resin. :coal:

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Sakurazuka posted:

I like that people are trying new things, but I wish people took away more from Dark Souls than GAME IS HARD. One of the best things, for example, is that a lot of the very best items are easy to get, and they just drop off enemies or are literally just sitting on the floor. Having to tail cut regular enemies and then go craft a helmet just adds two steps of busy work that interrupt a dungeon crawl. I dunno, are people really like "gently caress yes, I get to go to a workstation and craft this helmet" or am I just grumpy?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I guess they decided there was a big enough overlap between Dark Souls and Monster Hunter fans

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
i doupt there are many people who would object a game that has monster hunters gameplay with dark souls level design.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Best way to deal with doggos is the flamethrower pyromancy as they run towards you.

Second best way is to use Perseverance, it's great. Weak attacks like dog bites send the dogs bouncing off you like you just held up a great shield. Same thing with weak attacks like rapiers or daggers. I'm having a ton of fun on my super heavy armor mace wielder. Oh a pack of rats? Laugh as you wade into the lot of them while mashing them to bits with your hammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

hampig posted:

I dunno, are people really like "gently caress yes, I get to go to a workstation and craft this helmet" or am I just grumpy?

You are not. Souls games require enough knowledge and memorization to play normally as is, and I'm ever grateful they simplified the upgrade path bifurcated rollercoaster clusterfuck that was DS1. I also don't want any more barriers between me and equipment than there already are, and needing monsters to drop it for me is as high as I'll accept. Crafting and recipes are unwelcome to say the least.