Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tautologicus posted:

because you have a schedule and a lifestyle that is at odds with your actual constitution, and you're fighting that conflict with drugs.

It certainly would be nice to have a job that pays as well as my current one does if I could start at 3am and leave at 11am. Not to mention ADD and depression causing me to have a lot of stressful circular thoughts from 2am until about 6am because there is literally nothing to do outside during that chunk of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mirthless posted:

I have to take ambien 7-14 days /mo on average thanks to my totally made up bipolar mania flooding my brain with imaginary dopamine nonstop when I'm trying to sleep

I'm sorry mate all of that is made up globalist nonsense.

Have you tried the proven method of self reliance and positive thinking ?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just will yourself to sleep, you lazy person .

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

can old people just die already, christ

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tautologicus posted:

So how come every class of drug that treats depression for example treats a different chemical than the last class. Someone coming into a psychiatrist's office isn't complaining of health problems, they are complaining of adjustment issues, adjustment to themselves and society. They are diagnosed not with laboratory tests but via question and answer. Then they are given drugs. This is exactly what Szasz says in that essay.

Because not every type of depression is the same. SSRIs won't work for someone whose depression is rooted in dopamine production. This is like saying the flu isn't real because they have to come up with a new vaccine every year.

My ability to adjust to society is a problem I can work through with therapy but I won't stop feeling depression or anxiety, my manic swings won't go away, just because I have the therapeutic tools to function around them. That is what drugs are for. No psychiatrist will write you a prescription and tell you you don't need therapy afterwards.

quote:

They have not found a certain biological basis for any of these "illnesses", and IF THEY DID, the illnesses would ought to be treated through a psychiatrist, but through a neurologist, such as they do for diseases like Parkinson's.

This is incorrect for reasons I've already stated. Psychiatrists have doctorates and aren't lesser doctors than a Neurologist. Neurologists don't treat diseases like depression because they treat physical diseases based on the behavior of the nervous system, a mental illness behaves differently than parkinsons and requires different treatment.

quote:

What they see in the brain are the effects of certain mental and societal maladaptations and then they treat those effects via drugs, but they surely haven't found the biological causes of them.

It's true that the effects of these drugs and MAOs are understood poorly but the effects of certain mental and societal maladaptations are felt differently by different people and particularly different by those people who have totally illusionary and not real mental disorders. You still don't seem to know what the gently caress you're talking about and as this conversation goes I can see it is more and more willful by the second. Denying your diagnosis doesn't make it go away. Steve Jobs couldn't will away his cancer by refusing to believe it was real until it had almost killed him. Is it going to take a suicide attempt to get you to admit you have a problem you can't work through on your own?

quote:

Because what if biology is a two way street? It very much is. The environment affects one's biology just as much as the environment affects one's sense of self and belonging and so on. If one feels a certain way, of course there would be a reflection within one's biology. This does not therefore mean that the biology was obviously the starting point for that feeling. If ones environment is bad, or one has a bad attitude about their environment, one's serotonin and dopamine levels may be low.

Yes, environment affects one's biology, at least mentally speaking, which is why emotional trauma has such a deep connection to mental illness. The problem is that this biological change is usually tied to the developing brain (or severe trauma as an adult, the kind that physically scars the brain) and cannot be reversed. That's where all that MDMA/LSD/Psilocibin research went - Timothy Leary in particular spent a great deal of time experimenting with LSD with his patients, he convinced himself that he could use LSD to restore the pliable condition of the brain in youth and use it to re-map the brain to reverse the trauma. I understand this worked very well for some people, but by and large it was very damaging both to the science of mental health and his patients.

quote:

So it's not some obvious thing from which all modern science has moved on from. They moved around Szasz, they ignored him.

They still don't understand why the drugs work.

They understand those drugs poorly, yes, but they also understand that they work which sort of fucks up Szasz' theory

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

euphronius posted:

Just will yourself to sleep, you lazy person .

I can't speak for Mirthless, but I have no problem getting to sleep, 2am (sometimes 3 if I'm lucky) when I'm unmedicated is the magical time where I'm wide awake, and not getting back to sleep until about 3:00 (when I'm at work and that's not really conductive).

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
only drugs that you should ever take: alcohol and caffeine.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Karl Barks posted:

can old people just die already, christ

Considering I live in the greater Cincinnati area, I'm surprised there aren't more protesters.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Baloogan posted:

alcoholics are literally the worst kind of person

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Serious chat : I like the one hour or so I'm awake from like 2-3 am. Peaceful.

I check Twitter

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like one of those "I want the final say" posts so you can have it. Also I like how you deleted it off the last page and put it on this one, just to make sure I saw it. I saw it before, I am an attentive forums poster with skillful and adept use of my scroll wheel.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Baloogan posted:

Nicotine.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

I can't speak for Mirthless, but I have no problem getting to sleep, 2am (sometimes 3 if I'm lucky) when I'm unmedicated is the magical time where I'm wide awake, and not getting back to sleep until about 3:00 (when I'm at work and that's not really conductive).

I spent five days once with the hook from Crocodile Rock playing on repeat in my head

You start seeing poo poo after three days without sleep. It's really awful.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Oh yeah forgot that one. Though I don't smoke, I wish I did.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I've never hallucinated aside from fever dreams and psychedelics, never had a psychotic break or even a panic attack. Am I missing out? What's wrong with me?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

I'm the trump people protesting on the cracked unweeded sidewalk for more of the same everywhere

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tautologicus posted:

I've never hallucinated aside from fever dreams and psychedelics, never had a psychotic break or even a panic attack. Am I missing out? What's wrong with me?

A panic attack is a heart attack that doesn't have the decency to kill you at the end, it's not very fun.

Totally imaginary, though, of course

zen death robot posted:

Is he taking everyone's reporting about Brexit super personally because he "called it" or something?

It's not like it was his fuckin idea

Gotta defend plucky little Conservatives and their ideas no matter where they are located

Besides, it looks very bad for him if Brexit goes poorly and the media aren't helping people's public perception of Brexit. A wake up call of, "oh wait, globalism is actually a good thing" is not something Trump needs right now.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 27, 2016

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

zen death robot posted:

Is he taking everyone's reporting about Brexit super personally because he "called it" or something?

Maybe at this point, in his mind, it's as if it had been his idea

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I guess taut's autism is fake too.

So how many times has don quit CNN?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zen death robot posted:

It does tie directly into his economic and immigration platform though. He probably sees its success as a harbinger of his own, particularly since the result was unexpected by the media elite.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
cuck news network

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
So how long does it take Trump to punch himself in the face on abortion instead of keeping his stupid mouth shut?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mirthless posted:

A panic attack is a heart attack that doesn't have the decency to kill you at the end, it's not very fun.

Totally imaginary, though, of course

You really misunderstand everything Szasz is saying. He never says the symptoms are imaginary. What's mythological is the way we package those symptoms when we talk about them. Read the essay again, otherwise you're doing yourself a disservice by typing so much at strawmen

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Joementum posted:

It does tie directly into his economic and immigration platform though. He probably sees its success as a harbinger of his own, particularly since the result was unexpected by the media elite.

it seems like most Americans view brexit as a bad thing?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

zen death robot posted:

You have your own news network now baloogan?

http://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/Geoscape2008News:Baloogan_Report

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

you never cease to surprise me

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Al! posted:

it seems like most Americans view brexit as a bad thing?

What are you basing that on? I'd guess most Americans don't know what it is. They might hear Trump telling them it's about declaring economic independence from the Mexicans, Chinese, and (((globalists))) and think, "Hmm, sounds good."

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

What are you basing that on? I'd guess most Americans don't know what it is. They might hear Trump telling them it's about declaring economic independence from the Mexicans, Chinese, and (((globalists))) and think, "Hmm, sounds good."

Most americans don't watch cable news networks or read newspapers, which have all been talking about it nonstop?

Mannnnn I like to give people a LITTLE bit more credit than that

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

It certainly would be nice to have a job that pays as well as my current one does if I could start at 3am and leave at 11am. Not to mention ADD and depression causing me to have a lot of stressful circular thoughts from 2am until about 6am because there is literally nothing to do outside during that chunk of time.

The drugs increase your output making you a better slave.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Three Olives posted:

So how long does it take Trump to punch himself in the face on abortion instead of keeping his stupid mouth shut?

The day after the convention where he wins the nomination completely only to pivot by mentioning the multiple abortions all of his women have had. I keep thinking that's going to be an October Surprise designed to undermine the fundies' faith in him.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

logikv9 posted:

you never cease to surprise me

:3:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Joementum posted:

poo poo I barely knew what it was until the msm started shouting "UK FUCKS ITS OWN ECONOMY"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DrPlump posted:

The drugs increase your output making you a better slave.

They also allow me to hold a job. I mean it's called funemployment for a reason, but after two weeks I get bored and start finding trouble to get into.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Al! posted:

poo poo I barely knew what it was until the msm started shouting "UK FUCKS ITS OWN ECONOMY"

Trump didn't know what it was a week ago.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

brexit is a breakfast you take on the go. like a coffee and a protien bar

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

I think he didn't know it was called "Brexit", which is a cute little media nickname, not anything real.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Joementum posted:

he's been promising that the EXACT SAME THING WILL HAPPEN HERE as a morale building exercise to demonstrate that the polls have a liberal bias which is a bad thing to do when the story everyone is reading is about how dumb emotional voting hosed the UK economy

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
eh i don't see the brexit having a meaningful impact on the election, outside of a massive recession / depression that directly hits the US with serious force. it's distant enough that most people will form opinions based on what they hear, and what they hear depends entirely on who is telling them. you have bits in the media talking about how the UK just shot itself and is wondering why the bullet hurt so much, and on the other side they will link it to immigration control, sovereignty, and freedom :911:

just preaching to the choir basically, except this can be used to sum up basically american politics in general

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Iron Crowned posted:

Considering I live in the greater Cincinnati area, I'm surprised there aren't more protesters.

I really should have taken off work and went downtown. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning, "You want to see goofy, look at him in that hat." ~ Senator Professor Warren, sometimes referred to as Pocahontas.

• Locked thread