Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Count Bleck posted:

Is Aurora of Emrakul the first Reflection creature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

I guess returning a Thalia's Lieutenant might be a thing?

I totally missed the human part, the card is nuts.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The Lord of Hats posted:

Well, for every one meld pair, you're giving up two normal DFCs, and they're not about to abandon werewolves like they did last time. Still, would've been nice to have another one or two.

It seems hardly worth the effort. Maybe it was too ambitious, and they couldn't get it work well in limited.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Count Bleck posted:

This is cool, and both look playable by their own accord, all these cards are neat.

Nope!

http://magiccards.info/tpr/en/35.html

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem is that if you get to 5 mana, I'm not convinced you'd really want to meld them over just playing a Westvale Abbey and getting an Ormendahl.

The decks that are likely to play an aggressive red 3-drop are not the decks that can easily flip Ormendahl unless they've basically already won.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

mcmagic posted:

I guess returning a Thalia's Lieutenant might be a thing?

the point is clearly to return bruna

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

I totally missed the human part, the card is nuts.

And it's on cast... I might have spoken too soon. I think she's good even if it's just 7 mana to return a Reflector mage.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

mcmagic posted:

I think they both are. A 2/1 for 2 isn't going to get cut from most limited decks. So you're looking at 2 playables with upside. I don't get the hate.

Has zero to do with the power level or playability to me.

I can't say its reasonable or logical but I'm just not interested in a BFM mechanic, or like Exodia from the Yugioh cartoon. I get what they were going for flavor wise but my brain doesn't make that connection it immediately goes to a dumb gimmick set that I never cared for and a cartoon I disliked. Like if they printed an incredibly powerful card or spell and the art was an anime cat girl and it had a powerful ability called "kawaii", it could still objectively be most powerful card in the game but my reaction to it would still be "ugh, why"

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Now that they have developed rules technology for it, they'll have to step it up and make voltron/power Rangers cards with appropriate Kaiju baddies as enemies. Maybe in time for Pacific Rim 2??

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Three meld pairs seems like enough to show off a fun and flavorful gimmick without going overboard.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

And it's on cast... I might have spoken too soon. I think she's good even if it's just 7 mana to return a Reflector mage.

I especially like the part where humans and angels creature cards are basically dominating standard and now they get 2 very good mono white creatures that they can splash.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GeneX posted:

Ah, yes, a 4 power first strike flying lifelinker for 4

Exactly what white needed to be playable in standard

E: seriously, what the hell wotc, white does not need yet another relatively cheap 4 power flier with bonuses

Yup they screwed up again with this one.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

whydirt posted:

Three meld pairs seems like enough to show off a fun and flavorful gimmick without going overboard.

Yeah, we've got "Limited Meld", "Standard-Playable Meld", and "Story Meld". I think if I added another it would be with uncommons to have another potent thing to do in limited, but I'm fine with it as it is.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is there even a Lightnjng Strike in the format for that angel?

I hope all the standard players like white

E: that Hanweir creature seems pretty absurdly good in standard though, even on its own, and that land is very playable. As long as a red midrange is playable I would expect to see that meld land at least once in a while.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 27, 2016

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Where did they say that the three meld cards they've shown, are the only ones?

e: Nevermind I found it, I just missed one small sentence in the mechanics article. Weird I figured there'd be at least one for each color.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I wonder what the dev process is like. Who comes up with "Dawn Gryff"

"Mark, I think we should make a 2/2 flyer for 2W at common"

Maro: Sound good, print it!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Reprint Mizzium Mortars

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

There is spell mastery bolt, but red isn't' very good at the moment and not worth splashing for.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

TheKingofSprings posted:

Draconic Roar, Spatial Contortion, Fiery Impulse, Fiery Temper all do stuff with varying degrees of playability. Probably Spatial Contortion since you're running a billion painlands anyway and probably aren't playing red.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

80s James Hetfield posted:

I wonder what the dev process is like. Who comes up with "Dawn Gryff"

"Mark, I think we should make a 2/2 flyer for 2W at common"

Maro: Sound good, print it!

I don't get it, what's wrong with white Wind Drake? It's a perfectly fine but not great card in Limited.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

I especially like the part where humans and angels creature cards are basically dominating standard and now they get 2 very good mono white creatures that they can splash.

6 of the GP Pittsburgh top 8 was GW Tokens and GW or Bant Humans. Though I don't understand how that version of humans wins. I've had zero success any time I've tried to play it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

whydirt posted:

The Lord of Hats posted:

Yeah, we've got "Limited Meld", "Standard-Playable Meld", and "Story Meld". I think if I added another it would be with uncommons to have another potent thing to do in limited, but I'm fine with it as it is.

When was the last time they a made mechanic in support of a flavorful gimmick featured on only a handful of cards? To preempt the usual accusations of whining, I don't think this is some tremendous misstep or failure on R&D's part, it's just weird.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Elyv posted:

I don't get it, what's wrong with white Wind Drake? It's a perfectly fine but not great card in Limited.

I think a 2/2 flyer for 3 is very good in limited especially at common.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Lol at another pushed white flier but they didn't have the balls to make the flip legend wolf anything close to playable.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Standard is going to be miserable for the forseeable future

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Rinkles posted:

When was the last time they a made mechanic in support of a flavorful gimmick featured on only a handful of cards? To preempt the usual accusations of whining, I don't think this is some tremendous misstep or failure on R&D's part, it's just weird.

At least this particular theme shows up at common this time. Technically.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Oh yeah and lets not forget that all the removal in the format can't be used to get rid of angel voltron outside of what, planar outburst?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

I would prefer to have my meld cards double wide and long like the Pokemon legendaries, thank you.

lol called shot, altho i guess it isn't hard to figure out it'd be like that

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

We actually needed a smaller bane slayer angel so this one is good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Oh yeah and lets not forget that all the removal in the format can't be used to get rid of angel voltron.

You don't know what removal is in this set but Ruinous Path and Anguished Unmaking do the trick.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Bruna can re-animate Gisela on cast. :gonk: ...Are there any removal spells in standard that can deal with Brisela outside Richard Nixon?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Elyv posted:

Some ppl just like to complain, I think the functional reprint of otherworldly journey is a bit more meh than a 2/2 flyer for 2W but haters gonna hate I guess

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

GeneX posted:

Standard is going to be miserable for the forseeable future

Wizards current design philosophy of absurdly pushed mythics is so loving dumb and I have no idea why people play standard.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I like how they took two of these set mechanics right out of yugioh

Fusion and Tribute summons

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

mcmagic posted:

You don't know what removal is in this set but Ruinous Path and Anguished Unmaking do the trick.

CMC 3 or less, you can't cast them. Anguished Unmaking works if you pop it before they meld, but otherwise they're stuck in your hand.

Zoness posted:

I like how they took two of these set mechanics right out of yugioh

Fusion and Tribute summons

We've already had the tribute thing, way back in Kamigawa with the Patrons. This is just a less restricted version of it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mcmagic posted:

Neither of those cards do anything about Brisela.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Lord of Hats posted:

CMC 3 or less, you can't cast them. Anguished Unmaking works if you pop it before they meld, but otherwise they're stuck in your hand.

Oh right... Yeah. OK there is the 3B, Exile target creature? But that is just awful. You can Anguished Unmaking with the Meld trigger on the stack I guess.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Their justification in the articles as "we didn't know if people would like this so we played it real safe"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Jabor posted:

Neither of those cards do anything about Brisela.

Does awaken change the cmc at least? It has to right? (not that awaken makes it actually a viable answer)

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Most recent that comes to mind immediately is Hideaway, which was on a cycle of 5 lands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

dragon enthusiast posted:

Their justification in the articles as "we didn't know if people would like this so we played it real safe"

That seems like a poor design philosophy.

• Locked thread