Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

McConnell unanimously reversed. So that'll be interesting, waiting on the actual decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/747437246056374272

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Are they going to take the out that McDonnell never gave any official favors to his patron so there was no quid pro quo and thus coeruption?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Holding: An official act in the statutes at issue is a decision or action on a question, matter, cause, suit, proceeding or controversy.

More: That question or matter must involve a formal exercise of governmental power and must also be something specific and focused -- that is, pending or may by law be brought before a public official.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Looks to be a pretty strong ruling:

quote:

Holding: An official act in the statutes at issue is a decision or action on a question, matter, cause, suit, proceeding or controversy.
MOre: That question or matter must involve a formal exercise of governmental power and must also be something specific and focused -- that is, pending or may by law be brought before a public official.
More: To qualify as an official act, the public official must make a decision or take an action on that question or matter, or agree to do so.
More: Setting up a meeting, talking to another official, or organizing an event, without more, does not meet that definition of official act.

As I read that, he's got a very good shot on winning at retrial.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Now, how bad is that for public corruption? Sounds bad but not more than expected?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Reading the summary, the decision isn't one of the usual crazy corruption doesn't exist ones - they give reasonable interpretations of all of their points. What they're basically saying is arranging a meeting, with nothing more, is not an official act - there has to be some decision made by the accused or the accused must pressure another official. Given that they're not denying that indirect pressure on other officials can be corruption that decision seems likely to be reasonable-ish.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Which was the case that Thomas asked a question?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Reading the summary, the decision isn't one of the usual crazy corruption doesn't exist ones - they give reasonable interpretations of all of their points. What they're basically saying is arranging a meeting, with nothing more, is not an official act - there has to be some decision made by the accused or the accused must pressure another official. Given that they're not denying that indirect pressure on other officials can be corruption that decision seems likely to be reasonable-ish.

Seems okay. Again, not incredible, but it's really hard to argue with a unanimous court, usually.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

Which was the case that Thomas asked a question?

Voisine I think.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

silvergoose posted:

Voisine I think.

Yea that's what i was thinking, and his dissent has some pretty funny hypotheticals.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

evilweasel posted:

They refused to rule on the Hobbs act claims he raised.

Mixed bag, it'll depend on how strong the USA's case was against him if they retry.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

"HB2 was an effort to improve minimum safety standards and ensure capable care for Texas women. It’s exceedingly unfortunate that the court has taken the ability to protect women’s health out of the hands of Texas citizens and their duly-elected representatives," Paxton said in the statement.
:qq: why won't the mean supreme court just let us protect women's heath :qq:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

exploding mummy posted:

They refused to rule on the Hobbs act claims he raised.

Mixed bag, it'll depend on how strong the USA's case was against him if they retry.

I don't think they refused to rule on them, I think they rejected his arguments:

quote:

Here is a concluding part: Governor McDonnell raises two additional claims re constitutionality of honest services statute and Hobbs Act. Court rejects those claims.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Why does the SCOTUS like protecting corruption so much?

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

evilweasel posted:

:qq: why won't the mean supreme court just let us protect women's heath :qq:

Holy smokes these are some vile, vile people. How can men hate women so much.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Arrgytehpirate posted:

because money is speech

Shuka posted:

most of them dont actually give a gently caress, its a ploy for votes

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Scalia dying and dragging HB2 and other assorted lovely laws into the grave with him is still making me smile.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zeroisanumber posted:

Scalia dying and dragging HB2 and other assorted lovely laws into the grave with him is still making me smile.

Who's next anyway?

I'd be quite tickled if sheer attrition made it swing liberal while the GOP refuses to even hear nominations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Iron Crowned posted:

Who's next anyway?

I'd be quite tickled if sheer attrition made it swing liberal while the GOP refuses to even hear nominations.

RBG is almost certainly the next to go.

Then probably Kennedy or Breyer.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zeroisanumber posted:

Scalia's death didn't directly affect HB2 because it was 5-3. With Scalia, it's 5-4.

Indirectly though, it might have had an effect because it's really not clear to me what would have happened with 4 votes for Alito's opinion (we need to remand for further fact-finding) and 4 votes for Breyer's (gently caress em). So Kennedy couldn't compromise and join the conservatives for a weaker opinion where perhaps the 5th Circuit can't just take Texas's word for it (or threaten to do so and water down the liberal opinion). He either had to deadlock the court, upholding the lower decision, or join the liberals and overturn it.

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

RBG is almost certainly the next to go.

Then probably Kennedy or Breyer.

As long as her health holds up, I think RBG has indicated she wants to a few more years.

Agreed on Kennedy and Breyer. Maybe Breyer first if Clinton gets in. Wonder how Kennedy's health is.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Gorilla Desperado posted:

As long as her health holds up, I think RBG has indicated she wants to a few more years.

Agreed on Kennedy and Breyer. Maybe Breyer first if Clinton gets in. Wonder how Kennedy's health is.

RBG is 83 and a cancer survivor. She will not be on the bench in 2025 and pretty unlikely to be there in 2021.

There is a 95% chance that she is the next one off, regardless of what she plans. I just don't see her doing the job when she is 92.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Gorilla Desperado posted:

Yeah, but she's the oldest of the three. She wasn't interested in retiring just so Obama could fill her seat and probably won't be any more interested in retiring just because Clinton wins and has 2 years (maybe) of a friendly Senate, but people were pushing her to because she's very likely to need a replacement during the next Presidential term.

Given that the most likely situation right now is a Clinton win/Democratic senate in 2016, then a Democratic shellacking in 2018 (because the Senate map is hilariously unfavorable) it's really likely that the Scalia situation could happen again if someone were to kick the bucket 2018-2020. The right thing for her to do, if she values her legacy, is to resign during those two years so Clinton can appoint a strong replacement instead of someone who needs to pass a Republican senate (if at all).

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

The evisceration of the severability clause is sooooo good

quote:

First, Texas argues that facial invalidation of both
challenged provisions is precluded by H. B. 2’s severability
clause. See Brief for Respondents 50–52. The severability
clause says that “every provision, section, subsection,
sentence, clause, phrase, or word in this Act, and every
application of the provision in this Act, are severable from
each other.” H. B. 2, §10(b), App. to Pet. for Cert. 200a. It
further provides that if “any application of any provision
in this Act to any person, group of persons, or circumstances
is found by a court to be invalid, the remaining
applications of that provision to all other persons and
circumstances shall be severed and may not be affected.”
Ibid. That language, Texas argues, means that facial
invalidation of parts of the statute is not an option; instead,
it says, the severability clause mandates a more
narrowly tailored judicial remedy. But the challenged
provisions of H. B. 2 close most of the abortion facilities in
Texas and place added stress on those facilities able to
remain open. They vastly increase the obstacles confronting
women seeking abortions in Texas without providing
any benefit to women’s health capable of withstanding any
meaningful scrutiny. The provisions are unconstitutional
on their face: Including a severability provision in the law
does not change that conclusion.
Severability clauses, it is true, do express the enacting
legislature’s preference for a narrow judicial remedy. As a
general matter, we attempt to honor that preference. But
our cases have never required us to proceed application by
conceivable application when confronted with a facially
unconstitutional statutory provision. “We have held that
a severability clause is an aid merely; not an inexorable
command.” Reno v. American Civil Liberties Union, 521
U. S. 844, 884–885, n. 49 (1997) (internal quotation marks
omitted). Indeed, if a severability clause could impose
such a requirement on courts, legislatures would easily be
able to insulate unconstitutional statutes from most facial
review. See ibid. (“It would certainly be dangerous if the
legislature could set a net large enough to catch all possible
offenders, and leave it to the courts to step inside and
say who could be rightfully detained, and who should be
set at large. This would, to some extent, substitute the
judicial for the legislative department of the government”

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I don't think they do. Was there a constitutional issue at the basis of this ruling? This seems more like the law (and the Congress that wrote it) being the ones that protect corruption here, and the Supreme Court accurately recognizing that limitation in the existing law?

I'm very possibly misunderstanding the decision, but it seems like more of a case of "the law is clear, and by the law this is not corruption" rather than simply "this is not corruption and could never be found to be corruption and you can't change the law to say it is corruption"?

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx

Shuka posted:

They're Republicans

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm glad Kennedy proved me wrong for once

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
McDonnell is about what the definition of "official act" is. The court states that it takes a more "bounded" approach than the Lower courts. The government would have "official act" cover nearly any activity by a public official

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Is Roberts really that weak willed/narcissistic? With Scalia dead and the majority readjusted he seems to have changed his mind on abortion so he can still be the deciding swing vote. I mean, it's a great thing for the court and for America, but still. . .

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shbobdb posted:

Is Roberts really that weak willed/narcissistic? With Scalia dead and the majority readjusted he seems to have changed his mind on abortion so he can still be the deciding swing vote. I mean, it's a great thing for the court and for America, but still. . .

He didn't change his mind. He tried to win the case and salvage the regulations because he knew he didn't have the votes to ban abortion. Thomas is the only one who doesn't give a gently caress about putting together a majority, the rest of the justices try to.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

BiohazrD posted:

The evisceration of the severability clause is sooooo good

They had to abort that genie before it got out of the bottle because had they not a similar clause would be stuck in every single law for any subject from now on.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

lol that severability clause is so over the top.

:bahgawd: Every single word is severable so even if you separately strike down every other word then by gawd we'll still have HB2 on the books even if it contains only the word 'whereas'

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Shuka posted:

Being a women hardly prevents you from having terrible opinions about abortion and in fact can be some of the most vocal opponents of abortion rights. Iirc studies with proper controls say gender is not statistically significant factor among Republicans.

tsa fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 27, 2016

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

"This cross-cutting paper shredder is really good for severability clauses like this!" - SCOTUS

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

EwokEntourage posted:

McDonnell is about what the definition of "official act" is. The court states that it takes a more "bounded" approach than the Lower courts. The government would have "official act" cover nearly any activity by a public official

Yeah I heard an analysis of this on the Diane Rehm show coming in to work today - basically if they had ruled differently, it would have meant any prosecutor who doesn't like democrats could bring charges whenever they want.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Between HB2 and AA, Kennedy is slowly working his way off of my shitlist for that gawdawful Hobby Lobby decision.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

alnilam posted:

lol that severability clause is so over the top.

:bahgawd: Every single word is severable so even if you separately strike down every other word then by gawd we'll still have HB2 on the books even if it contains only the word 'whereas'

As a clueless non-lawyer, what exactly does this level of severability actually buy you? Or is it just another attempt by a state to make the federal government's/court's job as hard as possible.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So how many states had laws on the books like Texas? This ruling also kills those right, or do people need to mount legal challenges, cite this case, and have the courts in those states kill each law?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Zeroisanumber posted:

Between HB2 and AA, Kennedy is slowly working his way off of my shitlist for that gawdawful Hobby Lobby decision.

Never Forgive the Bush v Gore Five.