Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Huxley posted:

Imagine playing every attack for the past two weeks against double torb, with no text chat, aiming left-handed. That's console right now.

I played around 10 attacks tonight. All against at least two Torbs, all losses. You can't peek them. A typical encounter with a "hard counter character" is basically:

1. Die and have no idea where from. Watch kill cam to figure out where the thing is.

2. Position yourself to peek it. Jump out shoot at it, jump back in and see you took 140 damage. Grab a nearby health pack. Line up your next shot out of LOS.

3. Peek and shoot. Knock it down to half health before he ults 90 seconds into the match and one-shots you.

4. Swap to a new character and wait until they push past the initial choke so you can have some fun before your loss.

5. Have the game reinstance and drop you into another attack.

6. Go 3-12 for the night.

can't believe you just outed yourself as being so bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

PotatoManJack posted:

I think I'm officially a convert to Lucio from Mercy. Sure Mercy is generally a better single target healer overtime, but Lucio just seems all around more useful most of the time with his aura of healing, is easier to get out of trouble (at least for me), and can actually do a little bit of damage here and there.

I even think his ult may be more powerful on average.

They are both good but only one's ult is insanely fast charging and undoes multiple enemy ults.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Blizzard is proud of their 50% winrate for nearly everyone

Hypothetically, imagine you make an attack/defend game where defense has a massive advantage... you'd tend to get a 50% WR then, even if you matched people at random.

Or, say, give everyone game-swinging ultimate abilities that interact as a chaotic system. Then, too, you'd get a 50% WR, regardless of matchmaking.

Not saying there's anything wrong with matchmaking, just that the game format works in its favor.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Zorodius posted:

Blizzard is proud of their 50% winrate for nearly everyone

if i keep playing junkrat every game, will i eventually get back to 50% from 39%?

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

if i keep playing junkrat every game, will i eventually get back to 50% from 39%?

guaranteed yes.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Zorodius posted:

guaranteed yes.

nice

now i just need to actually play the game instead of sitting around moping about my 39%

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it
I've consistently maintained > 50%. Am I a... power gamer? :ohdear:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

my overall winrate is ~52%, but i get all my wins on like, lucio and 76 and symmetra and bastion and dva and torbjorn, and all my losses on junkrat, and it makes me feel really sad that i put my poor trash child through such misery, he doesn't deserve this

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Bought a new mouse with adjustable dpi this weekend and got to play around with it yesterday. Trying out 800 with 7 in-game sensitivity. I will have to get used to this and stuck for a bit, so i guess I'm going to be playing a lot of mercy and soldier to get used to things. I don't even want to attempt genji.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm at about 52% winrate. Close, but no cigar I guess.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
https://gfycat.com/QuerulousDistinctAtlanticridleyturtle

A-MEI-zing! :laugh:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

3 pointer :golfclap:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

setafd posted:

can't believe you just outed yourself as being so bad

Nah, I've been at this long enough to know when I'm actually bad at something vs something is too good. Though if you have an appreciably better time vs turrets on console, then you are probably better than me.

Zorodius posted:

Hypothetically, imagine you make an attack/defend game where defense has a massive advantage... you'd tend to get a 50% WR then, even if you matched people at random.

This is it, more than anything. I have gone –10 or so over the past couple of nights and still sit around 51%. Whether I'm winning a bunch or losing a bunch pretty much boils down to whether I'm queueing into attacks or defends more. They know attack/defend is crazy uneven in the 90% of games that are strictly 12-player solo queue. Not unwinnable, just uneven. That's why theoretically you get to play both sides. Except in quick play that doesn't always work out because you backfill into attack side between games or it reinstances your entire game and you coin flip.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Turn down your sensitivity, please.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

:dunkedon:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Huxley posted:

They know attack/defend is crazy uneven in the 90% of games that are strictly 12-player solo queue. Not unwinnable, just uneven. That's why theoretically you get to play both sides.

Actually, Blizzard has indicated that most of the maps are close to a 50/50 attack/defense winrate.

The reason it doesn't necessarily feel this way is because the pros and cons of a/d don't feel the same. Defense gets a very strong terrain advantage, but attack gets many attempts to push. Let's take Anubis, a map that can feel impenetrable at times. The chance that any individual push by the attackers will succeed on that map is certainly a fair bit lower than 50%. However, the chance that the attackers will eventually have a winning push on point B before the timer runs out, that's statistically been close to 50/50.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Spanish Manlove posted:

Turn down your sensitivity, please.

I'm not the player. Funny thing is, my sensitivity is probably too low, as some people in discord can attest!

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
I think there's something wrong with Zarya's lmb beam attack. I've started playing Tracer recently, and in several battles with Zarya, i could have sworn i was hit by Zarya's beam but i remained unscathed when i check my health meter. Guess it has something to do with 20 ticks? I find it hard to believe that Zarya swept her beam from side to side while i was close to her and i didn't suffer any damage.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Supercar Gautier posted:

Actually, Blizzard has indicated that most of the maps are close to a 50/50 attack/defense winrate.

The reason it doesn't necessarily feel this way is because the pros and cons of a/d don't feel the same. Defense gets a very strong terrain advantage, but attack gets many attempts to push. Let's take Anubis, a map that can feel impenetrable at times. The chance that any individual push by the attackers will succeed on that map is certainly a fair bit lower than 50%. However, the chance that the attackers will eventually have a winning push on point B before the timer runs out, that's statistically been close to 50/50.

I actually kind of interpreted things they've said to mean the opposite. Specifically that they weigh A/D on specific maps differently in MMR. But if they wanted us to have our WL rates broken down by maps we would have it, and we're probably all emotionally better off believing whatever makes us enjoy the wins more and take the losses easier.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mister Fister posted:

I think there's something wrong with Zarya's lmb beam attack. I've started playing Tracer recently, and in several battles with Zarya, i could have sworn i was hit by Zarya's beam but i remained unscathed when i check my health meter. Guess it has something to do with 20 ticks? I find it hard to believe that Zarya swept her beam from side to side while i was close to her and i didn't suffer any damage.

It's the tick rate. The beam has to be on the target when the update is received for it to register, which is a lot harder to do when it's rather pinpoint thin and there's large gaps in the positional information. Watching Zarya be played in some competitive games recently where they were at 60hz was like watching a completely different character.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Vermain posted:

It's the tick rate. The beam has to be on the target when the update is received for it to register, which is a lot harder to do when it's rather pinpoint thin and there's large gaps in the positional information. Watching Zarya be played in some competitive games recently where they were at 60hz was like watching a completely different character.

What's the reasoning for the tickrate not being default 60 tick?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Huxley posted:

I actually kind of interpreted things they've said to mean the opposite. Specifically that they weigh A/D on specific maps differently in MMR.

They do factor it in, but I'm pretty sure it's more of a 47/53 kind of weighting, not anything hugely stacked. They really really want that 50/50 to happen both map-wise and team-wise, and if a map was going 70/30 or whatever, they'd probably be frantically altering it instead of just re-weighting its impact on MMR.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Huxley posted:

I actually kind of interpreted things they've said to mean the opposite. Specifically that they weigh A/D on specific maps differently in MMR. But if they wanted us to have our WL rates broken down by maps we would have it, and we're probably all emotionally better off believing whatever makes us enjoy the wins more and take the losses easier.
Yeah, I read the Jeff Kaplin post as that they weight the mmr change according to attack/defense role since one is easier. Sort of like when you win against a higher rated player there's a bigger rating jump than a loss because the result was unexpected.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mister Fister posted:

Probably a combination of not wanting to exclude certain players (it's more expensive bandwidth-wise) and server costs.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Mister Fister posted:

i don't know if they're ever given a straight answer other than "for some reason people were having problems with 60 tick in beta so we dropped it"

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Mister Fister posted:

supposedly it's so people with lovely computers can still play. i suspect it's cause their servers wouldn't be able to handle it.

e: beaten like a bad dobby

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Vermain posted:

Probably a combination of not wanting to exclude certain players (it's more expensive bandwidth-wise) and server costs.

Well that sucks. Quake 3 seems to have better netcode. IIRC, the Lightning Gun (basically like Zarya's weapon) or any other weapon would always register as long as the beam was on target on the client side. Only thing that would suck is if you had lag, it would be like waving around a noodle trying to catchup to the crosshair.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Mister Fister posted:

Something about the way the game is coded means that some sizable chunk of players wouldn't be able to play at all if there was a normal tickrate. Or on the big picture level, it's mostly down to the fact that Blizzard basically tried to reinvent the FPS from the ground up. Obviously they succeeded in many ways, just based on the player numbers. But in some cases like the client/server configuration, or the sound or UI design it's more debatable whether their innovations are an improvement or they should have just stuck with tried and true.

However, on the subject of Zarya's damage it's not all down to server tick rate, but also to the way damage is applied by her attack. Even though the visual is a beam, it's really acting more like a rapid fire projectile. The damage itself 'ticks' every 1/3rd of a second or so, and if you have the beam sweep across you in-between those damage ticks you'll take no damage. Of course, the actual server tickrate can compound this, in that your damage ticks might get swallowed by the general network problems. It should probably apply its damage twice as often but for 1/2 the damage per application or something, so that it's less likely to 'miss' even when it's hitting.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
My issue with the matchmaking is that there seems to be a propensity towards stomps. I mostly notice it when in stacks with certain teammates, because it seems like they're so good it drags us into a higher skill bracket. We do better with 4 mediocre dudes, than 4 mediocre and one great. Of course this may just be my selective memory.

If my matches split between being the stomper and the stompee I have 50% win rate, but nothing is close.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Mister Fister posted:

it's slightly cheaper

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

$

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My experiences with solo match making indicate you need to queue up, be placed in a game which will probably be a poo poo show, and then lose. Here's where it gets weird. If I stick with it and go from game to game without leaving the matches get better and better. If I leave to take a break or open a box I start over with bullshit. Match making seems to work well after.youve played a few consecutive games but not if you hop around or only play one or two games at a time. I don't understand why it's not consistently good and why I have to suffer a few very annoying games until it gets fun.

It's really annoying when I only have 20-30 minutes to play in the evening. It's getting to the point that don't bother firing up the game unless I have a solid chunk of time to dedicate to it and/or I can get a pre-made going.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I swear, pubbies just do not know how to deal with a defensive Reinhardt on a Payload map.

It should not be this easy or this much fun to ruin an entire team's offensive on your own :allears:. By the end they came loaded for BEAR with two McCree's, a Roadhog and a Bastion just to put me down. They didn't account for the rest of my team being competent enough to murder them while they focussed on me :smuggo:.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

When did blizz release comp play? Seagull is streaming some atm but I can't find any patch notes :\

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

He's playing on the test server.
https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20157263#patchnotes

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Welp, thanks. Time to try it out and see how much I suck!

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Wildtortilla posted:

My experiences with solo match making indicate you need to queue up, be placed in a game which will probably be a poo poo show, and then lose. Here's where it gets weird. If I stick with it and go from game to game without leaving the matches get better and better. If I leave to take a break or open a box I start over with bullshit. Match making seems to work well after.youve played a few consecutive games but not if you hop around or only play one or two games at a time. I don't understand why it's not consistently good and why I have to suffer a few very annoying games until it gets fun.

It's really annoying when I only have 20-30 minutes to play in the evening. It's getting to the point that don't bother firing up the game unless I have a solid chunk of time to dedicate to it and/or I can get a pre-made going.

I have the exact opposite solo queue experience, where it's just a crapshoot right away if the server is good or bad, and if I'm on a bad team, it will stay bad, because the teams will never change

Some of it is due to the preponderance of pre-mades and some of it honestly just feels like poo poo matchmaking, but staying in a server rarely does any good until there's a mass exodus on one side or another, in which case you're really just playing on a new server anyway

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
I also play the video game.

http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/AbeFrohman-1871

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

The other night I was on a 19-kill streak as Torbjorn and I had a Reaper dead in my crosshairs, not even paying attention to me because he was in a fight with a Symmetra, about to get that achievement — and then my internet connection died and I got booted. The salt was real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
They need to nerf Widow harder. Genji basically can't take her at close range unless he has deflect up because her burst fire puts out so much damage. And they have to figure out some way to change her zoomed shots so she's not the hero of choice for people who are good at FPS games that aren't called Overwatch.

Every other hero in the game is unique or does something different in the FPS genre, everyone but Widow who feels like Counter-Strike man with D cups.