Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Back Hack posted:

We would never secede because there is too much money to be lost by giving being one of the economic backbones of this country.

Plus we're not THAT stupid.

Texas couldn't secede if it wanted to anyway. See the Civil War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Care to Toxx on that?

On us seceding? Sure.

Dear Admins,
If the state of Texas secede from the United States of American, please ban me. :toxx:

XOXO,
Some Douche on the Internet Back Hack

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i would create a fiefdom among the hill country fruit and pecan trees

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Back Hack posted:

On us seceding? Sure.

Dear Admins,
If the state of Texas secede from the United States of American, please ban me. :toxx:

XOXO,
Quote for when back hack comes to his senses.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Back Hack posted:

On us seceding? Sure.

Dear Admins,

XOXO,

This is a pretty safe bet, if only because if Texas secedes we'll all have much bigger problems than being banned from a Web forum so it won't really matter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah in a situation that was so hosed up that we seceded, I doubt we'd be the first state to do it.

Oh neat:
https://twitter.com/mihirzaveri/status/746411469240078336

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 24, 2016

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

If Trump tries to open a golf course here, then I'll start getting worried

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Astrodome is one giant cluster gently caress:
-One of owners, and the primary reason why no one can do anything with the Astrodome, wants Houston to renovated it and turn it into a historical building.
-One group of investors want to turn it into one of the worlds largest indoor amusement park.
-Another group wants to turn it into, essentially a Megacity One Block, by converting the interior into a giant convention center with it own series of hotel complexes, a mall, a movie theaters, and god knows how many restaurants.
-And now you have Harris County want to turn it into a parking garage/shuttle hub.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Just keep the thing standing. I got a lot of good memories from the astrodome.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/AP_Sports/status/746456505898106880

holy loly

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ahaha at both Johnny and his lawyer

Also, turn Astrodome into arcology but rebuild Hoffheinz's crazy apartment inside

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

quote:

@AP_Sports If that's true, that's pretty bad for y'all to share. Fairly unethical

Anyone clarify the ethics of this?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

lmao

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MariusLecter posted:

Uh no, idiots texting mega huge stories to news outlets on accident is fair game.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

zoux posted:

Uh no, idiots texting mega huge stories to news outlets on accident is fair game.

Exactly what I thought. :)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

MariusLecter posted:

I'm interested to know the odds of it being a spoofed number.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm interested to know the odds of it being a spoofed number.

There's no way the AP is pulling a Roger Ailes and hacking phones, if that's what you mean.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Aliquid posted:

i would create a fiefdom among the hill country fruit and pecan trees be murdered by the Zetas real fast.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

blue squares posted:

There's no way the AP is pulling a Roger Ailes and hacking phones, if that's what you mean.

More wondering if it is possible to fake a sms number similar to how telemarketers fake their numbers on caller ID. Some troll sending fake messages pretending to be the lawyer, etc.

The more I think about it the less likely it is.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
it's being reported that Manziel's lawyer accidentally sent that information to a reporter so I can't imagine how it would be a problem ethically to report it. It's on the lawyer.

I believe I also heard the lawyer threatened to sue about the release of the information but again, if the lawyer released the information accidentally or otherwise, I can't see the AP or whoever received the information initially could be held responsible for anything.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

uh my narcocorridos and dulcet tones will soothe them

actually the only time i had a run-in with the zetas was a Literal Mexican Standoff with everyone pointing pistols at each other and me in the middle screaming to calmate

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Shifty Pony posted:

More wondering if it is possible to fake a sms number similar to how telemarketers fake their numbers on caller ID. Some troll sending fake messages pretending to be the lawyer, etc.

The more I think about it the less likely it is.

Yea, seems very unlikely. Also, this is the AP. I give them enough credit to check before going public with this.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ReidRansom posted:

No, apparently #Texit is all over the place today, but fortunately we're slightly less dumb than the EU and didn't provide a legal mechanism for national suicide in our constitution

Also it would fail anyway if it came to a vote

I keep a low profile in meatspace on everything political except maybe sodomite rights, but by Allah I'd be pounding the pavement against Texit every goddamn day.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

....meatspace?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

what the hell

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blue squares posted:

....meatspace?

Not empty quoting.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

blue squares posted:

....meatspace?

It's a reference from the cyberpunk game Shadowrun; meatspace basically means 'in real life' to people who live most of their conscience lives on the internet through cybernetics.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

blue squares posted:

....meatspace?

:argh:

Considered writing real life and probably should have.

Also, fairly sure it predates Shadowrun and is basically the inverse of cyberspace.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:argh:

Considered writing real life and probably should have.

Also, fairly sure it predates Shadowrun and is basically the inverse of cyberspace.

I thought Meatspace was referring to a hip new BBQ place in Austin.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Oil! posted:

I thought Meatspace was referring to a hip new BBQ place in Austin.

It will be when I steal this idea.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

speaking of, the small economy that's sprung up around the Franklin line is about the most New Austin thing i can imagine

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've had Franklin's once, we did a to go order that we had to put in a month in advance. It's outstanding BBQ but not so far and away above a ton of other places that it's worth the rigamarole. You could drive to Mueller's in Taylor AND Coopers in Llano and back in the amount of time you'd spend in that line.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Or you can chuckle at the line as you drive two minutes down the road to Micklethwait

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Here's some bad news for the Party of Family Values:

quote:

A divided U.S. Supreme Court struck down a Texas law that had threatened to close three-quarters of the state’s abortion clinics by putting new requirements on facilities and doctors.

The 5-3 ruling is the court’s first abortion decision in almost a decade. It invalidates a law that required clinics to meet hospital-like surgical standards and forced abortion doctors to get admitting privileges at a local hospital.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-06-27/texas-abortion-limits-struck-down-by-u-s-supreme-court

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

AHAHAHAHAHAHA EVEN WITHOUT SCALIA IT'D BEEN STRUCK DOWN AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 27, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh the qqing about "women's health"

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

quote:

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton said he was disappointed.
"It’s exceedingly unfortunate that the court has taken the ability to protect women’s health out of the hands of Texas citizens and their duly-elected representatives," he said.
rolleyes-barfing-rolleyes.gif

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So, will this spurn on Texit?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

CommieGIR posted:

So, will this spurn on Texit?

There's no legal way to succeed from the US, and all signs point to Brexit being comically, absurdly bad economically already.

Then again reality has no hold on those who want Texas succession so...probably. Nothing legally will come of it but be prepared for Abbot or some other loons to start screaming about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Texit isn't actually a thing that has real support, that stuff is mostly being brought up by panicking Brits who desperately need someone to feel superior to in their time of need