Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just want to remind everyone that Thing in the Ice exists and the new Bruna/Gisela are horrors. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Jabor posted:

Hanweir Garrison seems playable in an aggressive red deck (4 power for 3, hard to block all the damage, leaves stuff behind, keeps growing if they don't answer it - it seriously ticks a lot of boxes), and that sort of deck would consider playing Battlements.

So probably not going to happen soon given the state of red aggro, but I could see it happening in Standard at some point.

I'd like to try a RW deck with Garrison and Nahiris Machinations. Thalia's Lieutenant would work well in there too. Looks like a fun card.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Emerge is a super cool mechanic, I love Offering and I love not super specific offering too

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

I just want to remind everyone that Thing in the Ice exists and the new Bruna/Gisela are horrors. :getin:

the meld side is not a horror, oddly enough

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

The Lord of Hats posted:

Eh, all you really need for a good clue deck is Ongoing Investigation, so I think you'll still see clue stuff happen. Not nearly as much though, I'll admit.

RIP UG Clues. I'm going to make it a point to try and draft it once before EDM comes out and it's impossible.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Their justification in the articles as "we didn't know if people would like this so we played it real safe"

Meld is has "three" cards, but it's actually six cards. One more pair of cards wouldn't have hurt. I agree, they played it way too safe.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

That doesn't explain what the CMC of a meld card is, for starters

I hope it's like split cards where it's both halves but not added up.

Edit: Holy crap, look at the semi-animated Brisela on this page: http://magic.wizards.com/en/access-magic-eldritch-moon-episode-2 That's creepy as gently caress.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 27, 2016

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

80s James Hetfield posted:

I wonder what the dev process is like. Who comes up with "Dawn Gryff"

"Mark, I think we should make a 2/2 flyer for 2W at common"

Maro: Sound good, print it!

Reprint Mizzium Mortars

You realize the commons in a set are mostly designed with Limited in mind and they do functional reprints all the time, right? Sometimes the set just wants a Wind Drake.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

DangerDongs posted:

They need to give red a major push, and they won't.

They want people to cast big bad Eldrazi, and they can't do that if RDW is a thing. Once the Eldrazi start to phase out, Red will come back.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I'm really liking Hanweir Garrison. It's a great creature on its own, and all it takes is playing a couple of colorless lands (with some minor upside), and you gain the ability to upgrade it into a huge threat. If red ends up playable (and that is a large 'if'), I think it'll get played.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DangerDongs posted:

I'm glad madness and delirium are back. I hope clues return also.

Clues really helped make it so limited games didn't become as much as draw-go stalemates.

So far from what we have seen, very limited spoilers, they broke white even further. Thalia is going to be played in Bant Humans and possibly even in W/r.
The 4 mana angel is also nutty, especially if Avacyn is coming down right after her.

They need to give red a major push, and they won't.

Edit: Emerge has potential if emerging also triggers additional effects based on what was emerged. For example, if you ate a creature with flying the emerged card also gets that ability.

Last year didn't Red pretty much win every pro tour?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Last year didn't Red pretty much win every pro tour?

Although the answer to this was "yes" it wasn't close to the most dominate deck and was more of an anomaly more than anything.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Although the answer to this was "yes" it wasn't close to the most dominate deck and was more of an anomaly more than anything.

It was the T1 deck in every standard season last year. What more do you want?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I don't see how red races Gisela without a lightning strike itf.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

"This color was decent 2 standard seasons ago, what more do you want?"

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

mcmagic posted:

Red dominated Pro Tours because pros consistently, ridiculously underestimated the ability of red decks to kill their Sweet Control Brews. Red needs the tools to be viable in formats where people are actually playing cards that are good against Red, rather than having 0 MD slots and maybe 3 SB slots for their weakest matchup.

Seriously, look back at some of those runs - those fields were irresponsibly soft against Red.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I don't see how red races Gisela without a lightning strike itf.
Fiery Temper is probably the most efficient answer to it in the format.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The English wording of Thalia actually does hit fetch-lands both coming and going. Definitely a contender for Modern.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Fiery Temper is probably the most efficient answer to it in the format.

Considering you need spell mastery to make this so I would figure that grasp and price are the most efficient.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Niton posted:

Red dominated Pro Tours because pros consistently, ridiculously underestimated the ability of red decks to kill their Sweet Control Brews. Red needs the tools to be viable in formats where people are actually playing cards that are good against Red, rather than having 0 MD slots and maybe 3 SB slots for their weakest matchup.

Seriously, look back at some of those runs - those fields were irresponsibly soft against Red.

IDK I like that the best aggro deck in the format doesn't always have to be Red...

Entropic posted:

The English wording of Thalia actually does hit fetch-lands both coming and going. Definitely a contender for Modern.

This seems better in Modern than the old Thalia. It's really good.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

AlternateNu posted:

I will forgive this almost certain development fuckup if it results in a horror tribal deck

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Emerge is a super cool mechanic, I love Offering and I love not super specific offering too

Obviously Emerge is there to break Scornful Egotist.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

mcmagic posted:

IDK I like that the best aggro deck in the format doesn't always have to be Red...

This seems better in Modern than the old Thalia. It's really good.

So give Red top-end options. Despite their best efforts, Red in standard seems to only ever be "that one aggro deck" or "the tertiary color in a control shell".

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Entropic posted:

We already knew this. That's what non-basic means.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Niton posted:

So give Red top-end options. Despite their best efforts, Red in standard seems to only ever be "that one aggro deck" or "the tertiary color in a control shell".

I'd say Chandra serves that purpose admirably

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mcmagic posted:

The arguable "best" aggro decks have been blue and white in various recent formats. The actual deck that happens to win the pro tour isn't necessarily the "best", rather it's just the one that got luckiest and was perhaps best positioned against that particular meta on that particular day.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
If a RDW existed to punishment greedily mana-based midrange decks, we could have a more defined aggro/midrange/control meta instead of this Boardstate: the Stallening horseshit we have now.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Honestly I'd put that down to having a bunch of the strongest creatures in the format being 2/3s that can never reasonably attack into similar creatures on the opposite side of the board.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

End of Life Guy posted:

If a RDW existed to punishment greedily mana-based midrange decks, we could have a more defined aggro/midrange/control meta instead of this Boardstate: the Stallening horseshit we have now.

What do you mean greedily mana-based? GW has a very conservative manabase

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Doesn't RDW exist in the form of mono-white humans anyways?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

AlternateNu posted:

Miami Horror is like synthpop or chillwave, and as such a reference to them in EDM is ham handedat best.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Meld is a test for contraptions and riggers for Kaldesh! Steamflogger Boss confirmed!!!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

suicidesteve posted:

We already knew this. That's what non-basic means.

The original translation the spoiler sites had said "play" rather than "control", which would have meant fetch-lands enter tapped but the land they fetched would not.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

80s James Hetfield posted:

I wonder what the dev process is like. Who comes up with "Dawn Gryff"

"Mark, I think we should make a 2/2 flyer for 2W at common"

Maro: Sound good, print it!

Reprint Mizzium Mortars

Neither Spectral Shepherd nor Shadow Glider are tearing things up right now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

In terms of limited, I'd like a bit more zombie support from edm

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/ElaineChase/status/747467986324193280

Seems ok

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

kinda neat that it's a legendary card and not just legendary creatures

worst flavor text of the century though

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

legoman727 posted:

Things that deal with Brisela in standard in order of plausibilty.

Ob Nixlixis
Planar Outburst
Quarantine Field
Descent Upon the Sinful
CoCoing into a Reflector Mage
Reduce to Ashes or Fall of the TItans X = 10
Sleep Paralysis

...Yeah, I hope you guys enjoy playing white .

This isn't exhaustive (Humble the Brute, off the top of my head)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Gilt-Leaf Winnower is very marginally playable. Although the actual best way would be to hold up removal on their turn so they can't make it in the first place.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

does this go in as a 1-of in Kiki-Chord to let you fetch a beater+kiki at the same time, or is just always right to fetch kiki?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's funny that we are gonna have the tools for a good MonoW devotion deck about 18 months too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I love Escalate

• Locked thread