Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Because the person who posted it is a friend I care about who has enough respect for me that I can probably actually get him to back down on this specific conspiracy theory.

I did more research, the "He was going to testify against CLINTON!" part is blatantly false.

The connection being made is that Ashe is accused of taking bribes from Ng Lap Seng, who was accused of illegal fundraising for the Democratic party in the 90s. However, his current situation has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the Clintons. Even if we pretend that the Clintons were masterminding Seng in the 90s to get what they wanted, party A and party B being bribed by the same person wouldn't give party A reason to kill party B!

I suspect this friend will be sending you a whole bunch more bullshit like this in the future. The fact that he took it seriously enough to post to you in the first place suggests he's nuts.

Anything you can Google, he could.

Good luck. It's a lost cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

pathetic little tramp posted:

So if Trump is smart

I found the flaw in your argument.

Regardless, doubling down on abortion will just give Clinton an excuse to dig up that "women should be punished clip" again. If he's smart (again, a flawed premise) he'll talk about the need for a conservative court without specifically mentioning his views on abortion any more than absolutely necessary.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

pathetic little tramp posted:

So if Trump is smart, this is his way to the top of the polls. He just has to say "If you elect Hillary, these abortion cases are only going to get further and further from banning abortion."

Trump cannot win on his charisma or his intelligence or his character or his wit or his policies, so he should try to run as "at least I'll put a right wing wacko in SCOTUS that will ban abortion"

Except that the more he pushes the abortion issue, the more he motivates moderates/liberals to vote in swing states. In the US, if turnout is high, Democrats win. The only way for Trump to win is for something catastrophic to happen or cause voter turnout to wither and fall to historic lows. Reviving abortion as a national issue in a Presidential election will make him lose harder.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

WampaLord posted:

Yes, alienating women even more, THIS is truly the electoral strategy that will lead to a Trump victory.

Men and women's support/non-support for abortion aren't radically different:

I think the current gap is probably more caused by the right's attack on birth control being tied into the whole mess

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Glad to wake up to the Supreme Court telling Texas to get hosed. Even better it's nice to see that it didn't take the gift that is Scalia's rotting carcass.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Way to undermine your entire post in two words. Fracking is so underregulated we still don't know what's actually in fracking fluid, and we've been doing it for over five years. There's enough anecdotal evidence to understand it's straight loving our ecology.

It is damaging in its current form, but that's because of cost-cutting measures - for example, the wells should be sealed with cement but that isn't currently required. If regulations were in place to require well cementing and other things, fracking would not be any dirtier than conventional natural gas extraction.

It's not regulated near enough, but the solution to that is obviously to regulate it. The lack of regulations is because of Bush-era congressional acts (and Cheney), not some inherent feature of fracking.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

Men and women's support/non-support for abortion aren't radically different:

I think the current gap is probably more caused by the right's attack on birth control being tied into the whole mess

Does that chart drill down any further, though? I'd be curious if the difference gets bigger when you start getting into more specifics (in cases of rape, after 20 weeks, etc etc). Even just identifying as "pro-choice" doesn't give you a good picture because you have people like Kaine who wouldn't support most restrictions but considers himself "personally" pro-life so it depends a lot on how the question is worded.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

defectivemonkey posted:

Does that chart drill down any further, though? I'd be curious if the difference gets bigger when you start getting into more specifics (in cases of rape, after 20 weeks, etc etc). Even just identifying as "pro-choice" doesn't give you a good picture because you have people like Kaine who wouldn't support most restrictions but considers himself "personally" pro-life so it depends a lot on how the question is worded.

There's tons of stuff on it all over the place, but most things I've seen show little massive difference based on gender for any particular part of the abortion debate

Here's a breakdown from 2012 on a bunch of data points:
http://spectator.org/30346_do-men-and-women-view-abortion-differently/

quote:

Bottom line: Men and women hold very similar views on abortion and under which circumstances it should be available. Women are slightly more likely to hold an absolutist view — either that abortion should be “legal in all circumstances” or “illegal in all circumstances.”

I was actually surprised that the chart I posted had any notable difference towards women at all because I hadn't done any investigation in a few years, and it's only very recently that I'd call the difference worth noting. Again, I think the origins of the difference are the weird over-the-top positions that some conservative politicians have taken in the last few years causing some women to basically reflexively say "I reject all of your ideas".

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 27, 2016

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

zoux posted:

Also, it's been a real bad year for social/movement conservatives so far huh.

It's only gonna get worse

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

James Garfield posted:

It is damaging in its current form, but that's because of cost-cutting measures - for example, the wells should be sealed with cement but that isn't currently required. If regulations were in place to require well cementing and other things, fracking would not be any dirtier than conventional natural gas extraction.

It's not regulated near enough, but the solution to that is obviously to regulate it. The lack of regulations is because of Bush-era congressional acts (and Cheney), not some inherent feature of fracking.

It's also worth noting that "conventional" natural gas extraction is currently really loving dirty because the regulations and their enforcement is very lax. Of course, the natural gas companies are just fine with people thinking it's only fracking that has the problem...

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

There's tons of stuff on it all over the place, but most things I've seen show little massive difference based on gender for any particular part of the abortion debate

Here's a breakdown from 2012 on a bunch of data points:
http://spectator.org/30346_do-men-and-women-view-abortion-differently/

I was actually surprised that the chart I posted had any notable difference towards women at all because I hadn't done any investigation in a few years, and it's only very recently that I'd call the difference worth noting. Again, I think the origins of the difference are the weird over-the-top positions that some conservative politicians have taken in the last few years causing some women to basically reflexively say "I reject all of your ideas".

Yeah, I think this is where highlighting the "punishing women" soundbyte could push more women away from Trump than men. I wish the Spectator piece drilled down into more about reasons and how much people care about the issue relative to others.

I'm also surprised about the gap because with TRAP laws came a much stronger (though completely bullshit) "this is to protect women's health" argument which seems like it would be a good way to get women on board.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
A win for abortion? Countdown to Trump losing all women voters across the entire country

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

defectivemonkey posted:

I'm also surprised about the gap because with TRAP laws came a much stronger (though completely bullshit) "this is to protect women's health" argument which seems like it would be a good way to get women on board.
lol. Even the people spouting that line are aware that it is complete bullshit. It was developed specifically to fit within a legal framework that they hoped the judicial system would accept; not a single person actually believes it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Trump coming hard against abortion wouldn't be bad because it would turn women off to him by itself, it's because it would give HRC a second round of now-enhanced attack ads using the "all women who get an abortion will be THROWN IN loving SUPER JAIL TO ROT"

Plus women are primed to loathe Trump like they weren't with Mittens so who knows

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Summary of the dem platform

https://demconvention.com/news/democratic-platform-drafting-meeting-concludes/

Seems pretty good to me

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i thought the $15/hr language was rejected?

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Sinners Sandwich posted:

:stonk: Jesus that guy getting wacked on the head

Fascists aren't people

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

paranoid randroid posted:

The stronger version that would index it to inflation was rejected, but the press release says it should be indexed, so I don't know what that is about.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

The language with it being tied to a inflation increase too. They said both were in the platform so it was redundant.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

Looks like it made it back in. My WAG is that they rejected a draft of the 15 dollar min wage plank and people starting arzying. Let's be real, Hillary came out in favor of the fight for 15, it was going in the platform in form or another.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The stronger version that would index it to inflation was rejected.

Ugh who does Hillary think she isn't, not letting Bernie write the entire platform!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Goatman Sacks posted:

Fascists aren't people

Then let them be dealt with by the state, not some dumb mob.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

ReidRansom posted:

Then let them be dealt with by the state, not some dumb mob.

Do you wait for the state to cut the head off a poisonous snake in your yard? Or a rabid raccoon?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The platform is meaningless nonsense and I never understand the uproar about what is or isn't included.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Most of it seems like pretty reasonable moderate progressing / mainstream liberal positions.

The two big changes that might get people riled up are that this is the first time the Democratic Party platform explcitly calls for abolishing the death penalty in all cases (which is more left-wing that Hillary who wants to keep the death penalty for terrorism charges) and the :siren:APOLOGY:siren: to Native Americans and saying that the American government had racist policies.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Goatman Sacks posted:

Do you wait for the state to cut the head off a poisonous snake in your yard? Or a rabid raccoon?

I don't kill any snakes as a general rule.

And a rabid raccoon, yeah, I probably would as I'm pretty sure that's not going to fly as an excuse for discharging a firearm inside city limits. Let the professionals deal with it.

WampaLord posted:

The platform is meaningless nonsense and I never understand the uproar about what is or isn't included.

Optics?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Im a big fan of anti-TPP being left out.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

the :siren:APOLOGY:siren: to Native Americans and saying that the American government had racist policies.
"had"?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

What's the point when the candidate doesn't have to abide by the platform in any meaningful way?

In my mind, the platform is the Issues section of Hillary's website.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

WampaLord posted:

What's the point when the candidate doesn't have to abide by the platform in any meaningful way?

Yes, that's what a platform is. The original issues page for the party. Still shows what the Democrats want even if some specific Democratic candidate doesn't perfectly agree.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Because it also gives downticket people a thing to point to when they talk about what they stand for. Also it gives some media coverage when it comes out. Finally it outlines what the party generally wants to work towards and that's important because the President isn't king and individual legislators on committees can push and draft legislation. Hillary's priorities will matter a great deal, but they are not the end all be all of the Democratic Party.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Inferior Third Season posted:

lol. Even the people spouting that line are aware that it is complete bullshit. It was developed specifically to fit within a legal framework that they hoped the judicial system would accept; not a single person actually believes it.

But the people hearing it who don't know the specifics don't know it's bullshit and absolutely believe it. I'd love to see a poll asking people what they think Gosnell's sentence is.

Saying no one believes it is like saying no one actually believes that Planned Parenthood is selling baby parts and whacking apart preemies. After Fiorina's BS in the debate about the video she definitely for real saw I had a coworker who came up to me horrified about it and couldn't be talked down.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Beat up all Nazis imo.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Incremental change.

Although, the weed section does say that drug laws have a disparate racial impact. It doesn't actually say racist like the Native American section does though.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MC Nietzche posted:

Because it also gives downticket people a thing to point to when they talk about what they stand for.

I would hope a downticket candidate would be able to articulate their own issues instead of pointing to the platform and going "Yea, I support all of that."

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Have national minimum wage increases in america ever been proposed to be tied/indexed to inflation? Have any attempts to tie minimum wage increases to inflation ever gotten anywhere?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Goatman Sacks posted:

You shouldn't be getting close enough to a rabid animal to cut it's head off. Go inside and call animal control.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rollofthedice posted:

Have national minimum wage increases in america ever been proposed to be tied/indexed to inflation? Have any attempts to tie minimum wage increases to inflation ever gotten anywhere?

California's recent minimum wage increase has it tied to inflation after hitting $15/hour in 2022.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
A $15 minimum wage is below a living wage and shame on Bernie Sanders for tying the Democrats to sub-living wages while claiming to do the opposite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ReidRansom posted:

I don't kill any snakes as a general rule.

And a rabid raccoon, yeah, I probably would as I'm pretty sure that's not going to fly as an excuse for discharging a firearm inside city limits. Let the professionals deal with it.

Optics?

I've definitely shot gophers in my backyard with a .22 and I'm in city limits. I guess it depends on where you are. Me and my dad sat outside drat near all day and got three of the sons of bitches

• Locked thread