Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
This was waiting for me when I got home from work yesterday. And a few 45s, "Flight of Icarus" by Iron Maiden, "Sex Metal Barbie" by In This Moment (pink vinyl), and one called Side By Side that has "I Started A Joke" by the Bee Gees on Side A and by Faith No More on Side B (green vinyl).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Coredump posted:

Ohhhh, so mountain out of a molehill if you're from the ignorant part of the U.S.

That would make for a much more fun tattoo.

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?
Technically noise cancelling earbuds. Amazon Link

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Hrvstmn31 posted:

Technically noise cancelling earbuds. Amazon Link

You sure about that?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Bape Culture posted:

Records and food.

Everything you bought looks like dog vomit

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Everything you bought looks like dog vomit

It's all fully sick fam

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Mods please make using this word a bannable offence

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Bape Culture posted:

It's all fully sick fam

You should take your dog to the vet if it's sick and throwing up on a regular basis.

does look tasty, though

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

rockinricky posted:

This was waiting for me when I got home from work yesterday. And a few 45s, "Flight of Icarus" by Iron Maiden, "Sex Metal Barbie" by In This Moment (pink vinyl), and one called Side By Side that has "I Started A Joke" by the Bee Gees on Side A and by Faith No More on Side B (green vinyl).

Nice. That's the table I wanna get.

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?

spog posted:

You sure about that?

Yep they cancel noise just not through techno wizardry.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Hrvstmn31 posted:

Yep they cancel noise just not through techno wizardry.

Not trying to be a twit, but noise deadening/isolation is not the same as noise canceling. One is specifically transmitting 180 degrees-out-of-phase noise to incoming sound, the other is just muffling.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I got some flatware.

I found a 30% off code, which dropped it to as low as I've seen this set.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Sigma X posted:

Not trying to be a twit, but

here to report that you failed pretty hard

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Sigma X posted:

Not trying to be a twit, but noise deadening/isolation is not the same as noise canceling. One is specifically transmitting 180 degrees-out-of-phase noise to incoming sound, the other is just muffling.

Does it matter when the result is the same?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

bongwizzard posted:

Yes because it allows nerds to feel superior to other nerds.

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

First house. Should close in late August/early sept.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

bongwizzard posted:

Depends on your purpose; the result isn't really the same. Noise isolation reduces the volume of a very wide range of frequencies, often with more reduction in a particular band of frequencies, whereas noise canceling can be programmed to counter specific sounds. The effect of getting rid of annoying or harmful frequencies can be served either way, but with noise canceling you can still hear your coworker without them yelling, or the music being played, without being impacted by the shrill fan noise in the datacenter. Noise canceling is pretty much better except in cases you're trying to shut out the world completely and focus on something, or very very high-power noise environments for which traditional noise-canceling technology cannot cope.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Noise cancelling requires batteries.

Noise isolation makes you deaf to the outside world.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
So you can like tune noise canceling headphones to block specific sounds?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Not you, but the manufacturers did. Like the Bose ones are usually meant to cancel out the droning engine noise you hear in airplanes. They also make noise cancelling headphones for the military where you can still hear people talk.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Nm

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

bongwizzard posted:

So you can like tune noise canceling headphones to block specific sounds?

Yup. My shooting range ear protection doesn't muffle the sound of people talking, but cancels out a solid 50% or more of the volume of gunshots.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Doom Rooster posted:

Yup. My shooting range ear protection doesn't muffle the sound of people talking, but cancels out a solid 50% or more of the volume of gunshots.

50 %? You only have -3 dB? That is terrible. Proper protection should have >15-20 dB attenuation.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Doom Rooster posted:

I think those are usually isolating, with a speaker inside that reproduces outside sounds unless they are too loud.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Not you, but the manufacturers did. Like the Bose ones are usually meant to cancel out the droning engine noise you hear in airplanes. They also make noise cancelling headphones for the military where you can still hear people talk.

But the drone is the most peaceful part of flying? Can science not block out babies and kids?

Doom Rooster posted:

taqueso posted:

I think those are usually isolating, with a speaker inside that reproduces outside sounds unless they are too loud.

I have a pair of the second kind, muffs with a mic on the outside. They worked well but the battery life sucked.

Where can I read about noise canceling stuff? It sounds "gold speaker wires" nonsense but idk. It seems like there is no way without tuning to individual environments to block sounds while letting speech be heads clearly.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

bongwizzard posted:

Where can I read about noise canceling stuff? It sounds "gold speaker wires" nonsense but idk. It seems like there is no way without tuning to individual environments to block sounds while letting speech be heads clearly.

It basically works like someone above said where it's not meant to cancel all noise, it's meant to cancel out a lot of the white noise type of stuff. I have Bose QC20's for work and I wear them on planes pretty much every week and they do a fantastic job of cancelling out the sound of the plane itself, while still allowing you to hear announcements, the flight attendant, etc. They'd do almost nothing to block out the sound of a crying baby or something like that.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
The watch is the end result of my selling up a load of cheaper watches over the past couple of months. The book is a late Christmas present - I got some book tokens in December and spent them this afternoon. I'm happy with both purchases so far, but both will reveal over time whether I've made the right decision.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

rockcity posted:

It basically works like someone above said where it's not meant to cancel all noise, it's meant to cancel out a lot of the white noise type of stuff. I have Bose QC20's for work and I wear them on planes pretty much every week and they do a fantastic job of cancelling out the sound of the plane itself, while still allowing you to hear announcements, the flight attendant, etc. They'd do almost nothing to block out the sound of a crying baby or something like that.

Maybe I just like the plane noise then. Glad I never impulse bought a set. On a jetway right now, literally a dozen babies here as well, please pray for me.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
New old camera:

Next will be a lens. Probably the ol' Canon nifty fifty because I'm gonna be broke.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Couple crates of LP's:

A lady at a yardsale was letting them all go for next to nothing. I must have been the first one to look at them, because it only takes one collector to pick out all the rock, pop, blues, and funk music, leaving only orchestra, religious, and showtunes records behind, but it was loaded with the who, stones, queen, and all sorts of good stuff.

Bunch of sleeves to fill in the empty ones

Might get the outer clear plastic sleeves, but nice ones are pricey.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Bought a nice leather everyday carry bag from a Greek Etsy shop a couple weeks ago and it was just delivered on my lunch break. It has adjustable straps for cross-body, over the shoulder, and backpack mode. I haven't used it yet, but it looks and feels very nice! I'm hoping to give it a go this week :3:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SEKCobra posted:

50 %? You only have -3 dB? That is terrible. Proper protection should have >15-20 dB attenuation.

I think that may come down to a misunderstanding in scale. Most people think loudness scales linearly, when it's actually logarithmic. Unless the packaging actually *says* 50%, then that *is* terrible.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Teach posted:

The watch is the end result of my selling up a load of cheaper watches over the past couple of months. The book is a late Christmas present - I got some book tokens in December and spent them this afternoon. I'm happy with both purchases so far, but both will reveal over time whether I've made the right decision.

You picked the correct watch! My savings have to go to a house downpayment, so getting one for myself is still many years in the future :(

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Merica posted:

Nice looking house. Congrats on the purchase.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Merica posted:

Is your home noise cancelling or noise isolating?

This is important.

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

Merica posted:

You bought Groverhaus?

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

Digital_Jesus posted:

Is your home noise cancelling or noise isolating?

This is important.

It was pretty quiet.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How do people think noise cancelling is snake oil? A 10 year old can understand phase shift.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Merica posted:

The gently caress is going on with this house? All I see from left to right - fat guy, tall skinny guy, and shorty. It's lovely though, I envy you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

How do people think noise cancelling is snake oil? A 10 year old can understand phase shift.

Because it seem hard to believe it can work well outside a very controlled environment, but if they literally just work on "airplane noise as heard heard inside the cabin" then it makes more sense, but obviously that never comes up in the adds in skymall.

That and everything even remotely associated with audio equitment is immediately suspect.