Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

SuperKlaus posted:

I don't recall if you visited my old Fantasy Strike Games Thread but anyway if you don't know Puzzle Strike you oughta check it out. Playable free online at fantasystrike.com. Anyway, its chips in a bag physical production* makes shuffling waaaayyyyy smoother and non-obtrusive than in Dominion. With a couple little perks like being able to look at the contents of your deck any time you want without bother because shuffling the bag after is such a breeze. It is also more thematic than Dominion in aping the idea of puzzle contest video games like Tetris, Puyo Puyo, and of course Puzzle Fighter. With the disclaimer that the chips don't have any drat art on them, so if you're the kind of guy who needs the pretty pictures to feel "theme," it will lose points in your estimation. drat good game though and my go-to for "deckbuilder as good as if not better than Dominion."

*yes yes chip idea was ripped from a Dominion fan, game designer's a twit, etc., if this isn't posted in advance on every. single. comment. re: Sirlin games a kitten dies I guess

On the plus side, the lack of illustration means Sirlin couldn't slip too many anime titties into the game. So you can play it in public without embarrassment!

(Yes, for the record, I hate Sirlin. I hate him so much I've spent $200 each on Yomi and Codex, and I'd drop another $100 on Puzzle Strike if I had it handy. It's so much easier to have principles when the games aren't good. :qq:)

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

SuperKlaus posted:

I don't recall if you visited my old Fantasy Strike Games Thread but anyway if you don't know Puzzle Strike you oughta check it out. Playable free online at fantasystrike.com. Anyway, its chips in a bag physical production* makes shuffling waaaayyyyy smoother and non-obtrusive than in Dominion. With a couple little perks like being able to look at the contents of your deck any time you want without bother because shuffling the bag after is such a breeze. It is also more thematic than Dominion in aping the idea of puzzle contest video games like Tetris, Puyo Puyo, and of course Puzzle Fighter. With the disclaimer that the chips don't have any drat art on them, so if you're the kind of guy who needs the pretty pictures to feel "theme," it will lose points in your estimation. drat good game though and my go-to for "deckbuilder as good as if not better than Dominion."

*yes yes chip idea was ripped from a Dominion fan, game designer's a twit, etc., if this isn't posted in advance on every. single. comment. re: Sirlin games a kitten dies I guess
The chips are aggravating. Shuffling feels non-random because the bags are small and the chips get compacted so they don't move around, and you need a blind which is a different level of obtrusive. I like the idea of the game but its very annoying to play IRL.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Descent with the companion app is everything I ever wanted from a dungeon crawler.

It's so good that after three quests I ordered all available expansions/packs.

Now I just need to figure out a good storage solution for all the map tiles to reduce the time spent looking for the right #.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

the panacea posted:

Descent with the companion app is everything I ever wanted from a dungeon crawler.

Now I just need to figure out a good storage solution for all the map tiles to reduce the time spent looking for the right #.

it looks like there are 35-40 available expansions/packs. That's...a big box you're gonna get soon.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gutter Owl posted:

On the plus side, the lack of illustration means Sirlin couldn't slip too many anime titties into the game. So you can play it in public without embarrassment!

(Yes, for the record, I hate Sirlin. I hate him so much I've spent $200 each on Yomi and Codex, and I'd drop another $100 on Puzzle Strike if I had it handy. It's so much easier to have principles when the games aren't good. :qq:)

For the same price you could have got Dominion and all its expansions, and had a better game by someone who isn't a oval office.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Malloreon posted:

it looks like there are 35-40 available expansions/packs. That's...a big box you're gonna get soon.

Yep. I think I'll store and sort the tiles in Binders or boxes made for documents.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I spotted Forbidden Stars in a local shop the other day, for 50% off retail and jumped on it. Any advice for the first time through?

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
This reply is really late but here goes anyway. To the person asking about Tabletop Simulator , I think it gets a somewhat unfair slating here based on people having prior experience with VASSAL and people they already play with. I didn't have any of that and found VASSAL barely playable, whereas I've gotten a lot out of TTS.

I've tried VASSAL a few times but there's only one game over played more than once. That was Twilight Struggle, which I played with a friend of mine who had moved abroad. We played a few games, but stopped because on the final two VASSAL had bugged out in the middle of a 2-4 hour game and we lost the will to have a good game snatched away like that. All other games were quite fiddly and ugly, probably fine if you're well versed, but I wasn't.

I wasn't even going to get TTS but a friend bought it for me to get a few of us to play Eldritch Horror as he liked playing it in person. I'd never played it, and I'm not that keen on it, but the TTS version gave me an engaging way of playing it which felt a lot more like really playing it in a group than I had got from VASSAL. From there I introduced them to Pandemic, King of Tokyo and Codenames, helped a great deal by the fact I was the only one who had to download and host, as opposed to VASSAL where as everyone needs to do it on VASSAL. We also had no game breaking bugs. Yeah, it has a physics engine that people can dick about with, but we just played the games and it felt more engaging.

And in turn they've stopped playing, but I had the game and tries some solo Cuba Libre. I've not really got into it but I got a lot further than I did with the VASSAL module.

And then, the big bonus to me. I went to the multiplayer lobby, and easily found games with other people. Whether you like the games or not, I easily found people willing to teach me games and add to friends list/discord, and in short order I'd played Betrayal, Concept, Devotion: Murder in Hong Kong and The Gallerist. It's so easy to join gamea you don't know and meet people willing to teach that I've now played games I'd have never gotten the chance to (or didn't want to waste time at an actual meet up on).

So I would say if the things I mentioned is closer to your experiences, maybe give TTS a try. I find it more engaging than VASSAL and its far easier to find people to teach you and have audio set up.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

the panacea posted:

In the base box of Descent, what is "wasted" when you're playing coop via the app? Just the Overlord cards?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

My favorite Sirlin dickery is still the Yomi pricing scheme.

You can get a single character for $10, but if you buy in bulk there's big savings. You can get 4 characters for $40, or get all 20 characters at once for only $200! What a deal!!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lottery of Babylon posted:

My favorite Sirlin dickery

As someone who works in the design field it still amazes me how blatantly he stole the design of matthan's Dominion chips for Puzzle Strike. Right down to not even bothering to replace the heraldry banners with something more theme specific. Like even using a simple stripe with a different font would have been sufficiently different.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

Shadin posted:

In the base box of Descent, what is "wasted" when you're playing coop via the app? Just the Overlord cards?

Yeah it's just the overlord cards (you use monster and lieutenant cards) and the quest book that have no use.
Fake edit: and you won't need track your progress/gold by hand.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

the panacea posted:

Yeah it's just the overlord cards (you use monster and lieutenant cards) and the quest book that have no use.
Fake edit: and you won't need track your progress/gold by hand.

Nice. I'm really tempted to pick it up. I bought Descent when it came out but I was just then getting my wife into games, and controlling two heroes against me as Overlord fell flat and I sold it.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

So, now that SU&SD have jizzed all over Dice City, I want to hear from you guys what's actually wrong/bad about it.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
What's a good ameritrash game to play with my 5 year old? Rules don't need to be "as is". I was thinking of maybe a dumbed down Mice & Mystics?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

My favorite Sirlin dickery is still the Yomi pricing scheme.

You can get a single character for $10, but if you buy in bulk there's big savings. You can get 4 characters for $40, or get all 20 characters at once for only $200! What a deal!!

Boo hoo I want a discount and this mean creator won't give me one.

If I wanted all 20 characters, I'd find it more convenient to just buy em all at once instead of as 20 separate items. How is not offering a discount "dickery"?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jimbozig posted:

Boo hoo I want a discount and this mean creator won't give me one.

If I wanted all 20 characters, I'd find it more convenient to just buy em all at once instead of as 20 separate items. How is not offering a discount "dickery"?
You'll be happy to know there's an international miniatures-making company that likes to do this same thing! They save you the trouble of clicking a few extra times for your items and they also call it a nice bundle package.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Chill la Chill posted:

You'll be happy to know there's an international miniatures-making company that likes to do this same thing! They save you the trouble of clicking a few extra times for your items and they also call it a nice bundle package.

Well, Sirlin would be saving you extra clicks if you could buy his games from the places where you're already buying games, but they were undercutting his own website's MSRP offerings so he cut them off.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I admit I haven't checked recently, but when I bought my compete Yomi set I got two very nice playmats. Do the Codex and yomi bundles not have similar things anymore?

E also someone play Codex with me on TTS please

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Crackbone posted:

So, now that SU&SD have jizzed all over Dice City, I want to hear from you guys what's actually wrong/bad about it.

It's completely unmemorable.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Jedit posted:

For the same price you could have got Dominion and all its expansions, and had a better game by someone who isn't a oval office.

Joke's on you, I already have Dominion and all the expansions, and the Broken Token case.

...man, no wonder I'm poor.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Sirlin's not interested in discounts, the different packages are an attempt to provide different price points for entry but limit sku creep. Totally reasonable way to do it, but everything Sirlin does is filtered through his giant throbbing sperg ego.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah, to be fair Sirlin sees everything through the lens of fighting games so saving clicks does reduce the number of frames for your combo.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Countblanc posted:

E also someone play Codex with me on TTS please

The workshop only has the starter set? :(

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Crackbone posted:

Sirlin's not interested in discounts, the different packages are an attempt to provide different price points for entry but limit sku creep. Totally reasonable way to do it, but everything Sirlin does is filtered through his giant throbbing sperg ego.

You would think someone that designs boards games (an exercise in optimization) would be capable of taking 5 minutes to learn about the concept of psychological pricing.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Rutibex posted:

You would think someone that designs boards games (an exercise in optimization) would be capable of taking 5 minutes to learn about the concept of psychological pricing.

I wouldn't call what he does "design board games" but more "shovel his broken dreams of being the next Daigo Umehara into other peoples board games without asking them"

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I read his book and while it has some good points in it a lot of it is pretty much similar to management strategy in the 80s redeux. It was painful at times since I've read a lot of that crap in business school.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Cassa posted:

I spotted Forbidden Stars in a local shop the other day, for 50% off retail and jumped on it. Any advice for the first time through?

I'm curious about this too. Even at the steep discount I'm hesitant just because Warhammer puts some of my group off. I only got Chaos In The Old World tabled by selling it as the 'original' blood rage.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Forbidden Stars is great but downtime can be horrific with new players. The biggest delay is combat so people really need to know how it works and understand the strengths and weaknesses of their faction.

For first time players do a combat example or two before you start the game. If you do a second one, do it with some of the high level combat cards. Get everyone to look through their upgrade decks before the game starts and suggest they have a rough plan in mind for order of upgrades, maybe outline to everyone what some of the major upgrades can do (eg orcs travelling without ships).

Also recommend using the default map set up the first time or with new players. You can screw yourself easily otherwise.

The game is very straightforward and the rules don't take long to learn, it's strategy and how the factions interact that's trickier in the first instance when you don't know what's on the cards.

Edit: also it is an aggressive game where players will be spread too thin if they try and hold on to everything. You can slow down and delay more easily than win a defensive fight and sometimes it is better to let a good planet go and acquire one nearly as good.

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 27, 2016

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I just received Scythe just ahead of a looming postal strike :slick:

Oh and I was never that jazzed about Tabletop Simulator but but but I just realized maybe just maybe I could actually use it to play Earth Reborn with someone :shepface:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Rutibex posted:

What would your suggestion be then? He's got a $20, $40, and $200 POE. He also used higher quality cardstock than the junky stuff BG normally use as well.

Sirlin is a :spergin:, but in general people are loving idiots. There's nothing wrong with his price points.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Sleekly posted:

I'm curious about this too. Even at the steep discount I'm hesitant just because Warhammer puts some of my group off. I only got Chaos In The Old World tabled by selling it as the 'original' blood rage.

I think FS is fantastic and a classic, it scales well with player count and every turn feels tense and packed with tricky decisions. Super interactive but also with some interesting mechanisms that prevent it from being bash the leader. I love it with the proviso that the game literally takes twice as long to play if any of the players are new, it can take hours and hours if people aren't engaged and thinking when it's not their turn. It does speed up a lot with familiarity in my experience but it won't ever be as quick as CITOW. It's also much less of a euro and more feels like a super refined Ameritrash game with modern design. It's basically the game I wish I had when I was 14, I would have played nothing else.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Blamestorm posted:

Forbidden Stars is great

Argh that sounds great. I'm gonna have to nag my friends a bit. Its just warhammer world. Not like we'll be getting into armies or anything. Wish me luck!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I had zero interest in Forbidden Stars but it reimplements Starcraft huh?

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Yeah, it uses the central order mechanic.

So this comparison is certainly open to debate but for me it feels like a highly focused alternative to something like Twilight Imperium. Ever play TI3 and go, man, I spent the whole game positioning, researching and building units culminating in maybe one or two actual fights which then came down to a dice roll - I wish I spent a bit more time on actual combat and less on positioning and economy? That's FS.

Edit: it's combat is basically a more complex version of Kemets as well do it does feel like a longer, heavier version of that to an extent as well. Alternatively, arguably Kemet is a lighter faster forbidden stars so might also be worth considering. :-)

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 28, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blamestorm posted:

Yeah, it uses the central order mechanic.

So this comparison is certainly open to debate but for me it feels like a highly focused alternative to something like Twilight Imperium. Ever play TI3 and go, man, I spent the whole game positioning, researching and building units culminating in maybe one or two actual fights which then came down to a dice roll - I wish I spent a bit more time on actual combat and less on positioning and economy? That's FS.

Edit: it's combat is basically a more complex version of Kemets as well do it does feel like a longer, heavier version of that to an extent as well. Alternatively, arguably Kemet is a lighter faster forbidden stars so might also be worth considering. :-)

Movement in FS is also a thing that's sorta tricky to understand and mastery of it can allow you to make major gains on opponents

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Crackbone posted:

What would your suggestion be then? He's got a $20, $40, and $200 POE. He also used higher quality cardstock than the junky stuff BG normally use as well.

Sirlin is a :spergin:, but in general people are loving idiots. There's nothing wrong with his price points.

If he made his prices $30, $40, and $180 he would get a lot more people buying in at $40. The trick is to always make the lowest tier option a bad deal, it changes the value judgement of the customer. He also needs to make the top tier have the deepest discount, otherwise no one will bother buying it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Rutibex posted:

If he made his prices $30, $40, and $180 he would get a lot more people buying in at $40. The trick is to always make the lowest tier option a bad deal, it changes the value judgement of the customer. He also needs to make the top tier have the deepest discount, otherwise no one will bother buying it.

Did you not get it that none of them are discounted at all?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Did you not get it that none of them are discounted at all?

I think that's exactly his point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hauki posted:

I think that's exactly his point.

I think "has the deepest discount" implies there was a discount to begin with, but I suppose it's not strictly so.