Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

jivjov posted:

I'm just happy that they're making the bold decision to include the Radbug in this new reboot.

It's weird that that of all things ended up being one of those things that made the leap from Zyuranger to Mighty Morphing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Craptacular! posted:

I gave up on sentai like 12 years ago. I liked Hurricanger for it's storytelling and Abaranger for it's ability to balance on the line between corny laughs and emotional drama. Magiranger was just too clearly aimed at children. It didn't have any of the bite that I come to expect from the Japanese series. Unless it got significantly darker further in, it looked like it could have passed as a PR show with no real changes.

So with all that in mind, what should I watch?

The older stuff that only recently got translated. Jetman, Liveman, Maskman, Zyuranger, Megaranger, etc.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm getting caught up on Amazons after I couldn't watch anything with subs for a couple of weeks (eye surgery).

NOOOOO Mamoru ate the human meat! I have a feeling episode 12 is going to turn out badly for him... :(

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I swear Amazon is going to turn me vegetarian.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Made my way through a lot of Fourze today, its basically the best ever. I have lots of thoughts.

Gentaro and Shotaro's entire meeting in the Mega Max movie is what I what every Rider meeting to be. Most of the time it just seems to be "we meet and now we fight bad guys" but those two worked off each other great. Give me a sitcom of Gentaro, Shun, Shotaro, and Phillip all living together. Ankh could be their perpetually annoyed neighbor.

Speaking of Mega Max, Gentaro's girlfriend seemed... fine I guess? I'm not sure how to feel about her, honestly. Still, that whole "you cry and we'll deal with this monster because its totally fine to have emotions" scene was worth it.

Ryusei's almost as nerdy as Terui, if Terui made martial arts noises instead of carrying impractically heavy swords everywhere without being a Rider. And rants about "my idea of justice and friendship being different" all the time. Also, boy am I glad I watched a bit of the original Kamen Rider because the importance of Ryusei's boss being named "Tachibana" would've completely gone over my head.

Dark Nebula seems like some real bad news.

Oh and that scene where Gentaro's greeting all the people in the cafeteria is great. Basically, Gentaro's my favorite Rider ever and I wish I could be his friend right now.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Craptacular! posted:

I gave up on sentai like 12 years ago. I liked Hurricanger for it's storytelling and Abaranger for it's ability to balance on the line between corny laughs and emotional drama. Magiranger was just too clearly aimed at children. It didn't have any of the bite that I come to expect from the Japanese series. Unless it got significantly darker further in, it looked like it could have passed as a PR show with no real changes.

So with all that in mind, what should I watch?
Gokaiger, Shinkenger, and GoBusters are the absolute peak. Kyoryuger is really good, too!

Shinkenger is an almost samurai type show with good characters and an amazing twist at the end involving the red ranger.
Gokaiger is an anniversary sentai where the team are a bunch of space pirates who can transform into other previous teams using keys. They meet a lot of previous teams, lots of great action
GoBuster is a future spy kind of show that features a dancing mech in the end credits. What's not to like?

Kyoryuger is a dino-based sentai that's extremely up-beat

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It's an asinine thing to say, given that Sentai has at it's darkest never been Kamen Rider dark, but I'm curious as to what a Super Sentai version of Amazons would look like. Not so much the cannibal monsters and mercenaries thing, but more sort of a "Here's what we can do if we don't have to stretch this poo poo out to accommodate a year's worth of TV episodes and toy releases"

I get the feeling it'd be pretty good

Which makes Power Rangers being kind of lovely-to-lukewarm when it doesn't have as big an episode order kinda... huhrm.

Then again, there's an argument that can be made for Akibaranger being Amazons' predecessor...

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

nerdman42 posted:

Made my way through a lot of Fourze today, its basically the best ever. I have lots of thoughts.

Gentaro and Shotaro's entire meeting in the Mega Max movie is what I what every Rider meeting to be. Most of the time it just seems to be "we meet and now we fight bad guys" but those two worked off each other great. Give me a sitcom of Gentaro, Shun, Shotaro, and Phillip all living together. Ankh could be their perpetually annoyed neighbor.

Speaking of Mega Max, Gentaro's girlfriend seemed... fine I guess? I'm not sure how to feel about her, honestly. Still, that whole "you cry and we'll deal with this monster because its totally fine to have emotions" scene was worth it.

Ryusei's almost as nerdy as Terui, if Terui made martial arts noises instead of carrying impractically heavy swords everywhere without being a Rider. And rants about "my idea of justice and friendship being different" all the time. Also, boy am I glad I watched a bit of the original Kamen Rider because the importance of Ryusei's boss being named "Tachibana" would've completely gone over my head.

Dark Nebula seems like some real bad news.

Oh and that scene where Gentaro's greeting all the people in the cafeteria is great. Basically, Gentaro's my favorite Rider ever and I wish I could be his friend right now.

Most of the Rider Club is named after old Riders in some way actually. It's p great

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
In November were getting a Legacy Red Ranger helmet. 1:1 scale designed for cosplay. A hundred bucks. Get it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

OnimaruXLR posted:

It's an asinine thing to say, given that Sentai has at it's darkest never been Kamen Rider dark, but I'm curious as to what a Super Sentai version of Amazons would look like. Not so much the cannibal monsters and mercenaries thing, but more sort of a "Here's what we can do if we don't have to stretch this poo poo out to accommodate a year's worth of TV episodes and toy releases"

I get the feeling it'd be pretty good

It's coming out in March 2017 :v:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

It's coming out in March 2017 :v:

Was there something ann

oh you mean the movie gently caress

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oh poo poo Previews has the Cyclone Joker figuarts this month gently caress yeah

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

So uh.

That Aries arc was pretty intense.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

nerdman42 posted:

So uh.

That Aries arc was pretty intense.

It's my absolute favorite Fourze arc. It owns hard.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

NachtSieger posted:

It's my absolute favorite Fourze arc. It owns hard.

It was incredible. Like, I'm trying to think of anything to say about it but I'm just. Sitting here in shock. What a loving show.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah, Aries is definitely top tier Fourze, but I'm really surprised you had no reactions to Cancer.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Cancer was bonkers and great too, but there's something way more horrifying to me about one of these monsters controlling an entire school, publicly, with basically no problem.

Speaking of, Taurus is a smug rear end in a top hat, crush on the Student Council Pres be damned.

Edit: oh and gently caress Virgo. That guy's a dick. I mean, obviously people will get out of the Dark Nebula. But gently caress that guy.

Edit 2: I regret calling Virgo a dick. Quite a bit.

Nerdietalk fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 27, 2016

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

So, uh, I guess I watched all of Fourze in a week. I really like friendship stories?

There's a lot to talk about but drat if I can remember all of it with all the marathoning I did. Someone would have to ask for specifics. I think the monsters were especially cool in this one. Gentaro's probably my favorite of the Riders so far. It got pretty dark near the end but I think the heart of the show is just in how fun it is.

Its funny to me that the ultimate motivation of the main villain was "I wanna meet aliens, they seem cool". He got a lot of similarities with Sonozaki but he's so consistently cheerful that he feels like enough of his own character. Gamou's a selfish prick, but you can't help but like a guy who happily informs people that he made soup after murdering their best friend. The most interesting thing to me is that the stakes both do and don't feel as high as other shows. The final battle is less about stopping him from destroying Japan than it is seeing if they can befriend him.

My only complaint is that I would've liked to see how Gentaro would've befriended all the other evil characters, like Pyxis or Aries. But drat I'm really satisfied with that one.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He could have befriended them if they were available, and he presumably did so after the show ended. I mean like, what was he gonna do, not be their friends?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

nerdman42 posted:

So, uh, I guess I watched all of Fourze in a week. I really like friendship stories?

There's a lot to talk about but drat if I can remember all of it with all the marathoning I did. Someone would have to ask for specifics. I think the monsters were especially cool in this one. Gentaro's probably my favorite of the Riders so far. It got pretty dark near the end but I think the heart of the show is just in how fun it is.

Its funny to me that the ultimate motivation of the main villain was "I wanna meet aliens, they seem cool". He got a lot of similarities with Sonozaki but he's so consistently cheerful that he feels like enough of his own character. Gamou's a selfish prick, but you can't help but like a guy who happily informs people that he made soup after murdering their best friend. The most interesting thing to me is that the stakes both do and don't feel as high as other shows. The final battle is less about stopping him from destroying Japan than it is seeing if they can befriend him.

My only complaint is that I would've liked to see how Gentaro would've befriended all the other evil characters, like Pyxis or Aries. But drat I'm really satisfied with that one.

:allears: Please tell me your opinions of Fourze's finale episodes. Also tell me your feelings about the Gemini arc.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just saw the new Zyuohger, that was probably the shortest evil Ranger arc in Sentai history.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

nerdman42 posted:

Now watch the movies! There's one that takes place a couple years after the series is supposed to have ended.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Serious Frolicking posted:

He could have befriended them if they were available, and he presumably did so after the show ended. I mean like, what was he gonna do, not be their friends?

That'd be ridiculous. Take a real jerk not to follow Gentaro's lead and befriend the controlling pricks.

NachtSieger posted:

:allears: Please tell me your opinions of Fourze's finale episodes. Also tell me your feelings about the Gemini arc.

So like, I think both W and and Fourze are good at making authority figures the bad guys. The rich hurt the community with their selfishness in W and the instructors hurt their students because they care more about their own poo poo than the kids. Ms. Sonada hates her students and uses them, the Principal just cares about getting favor with his boss, and the Chairman just wants to be part of something no one else has managed. The teachers who get redemption are the ones who decide to help the students: kickbox teacher, Ohsugi, Gamou (kind of) and Tachibana. The students, Kengo's existential crisis included, are all largely victims of something bigger than themselves. Gamou was ultimately redeemed when he encouraged the kids to succeed and saved Kengo's life, releasing him from the Presenters.

I MIGHT BE THINKING TOO HARD ABOUT IT but my main point is that it feels like the whole finale is Gentaro just trying to make the bad guys and Kengo know that using kids is a screwy thing to do, but with friendship. And I think that's cool.

Also Gemini legit scared me holy poo poo. Like, it's not the level of "stupid kid takes over school" but having your entire identity replaced and your own friends call you a fake? Fuuuuuck. I was so relieved Fake Yuki didn't stick around because I'd probably stop watching for a bit if she was. I'm kind of a huge baby.

RealFoxy posted:

Now watch the movies! There's one that takes place a couple years after the series is supposed to have ended.

Oh sweet, will do! Years later just mean they're out of high school, so I'm curious to see how that plays out.

I'm not really sure if I'm gonna watch Wizard after that. I was considering watching Agito and stuff around that time after this, but I might take a break from Kamen Rider so I don't get burned out.

I did promise a buddy I'd try Power Rangers this year, so maybe I should start on that by the time July hits.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Even as someone who kind of enjoyed Wizard (don't ask me why, I'm not sure either): don't watch Wizard, it's bad in an objective sense. Also, if you're going to watch Agito, watch Kuuga first because A.) they're sort of connected and B.) Kuuga is the best.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

nerdman42 posted:

Someone would have to ask for specifics.
Overall feelings about Meteor please.

quote:

Oh sweet, will do! Years later just mean they're out of high school, so I'm curious to see how that plays out.
More than just a few, actually.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I have a lot of opinions about fourze, but have not had felt like I had time to put them down and ask about them. But i agree with a lot of how nerdman sees things.

And yes Gemini was a terrifying arc, which I appreciate. I appreciate horror managed without being creepy or edgy these days, I guess.

I'm glad there was room for appreciation of both series. I just guess I'll just ask the burning question: what are your thoughts on meteor? Too much like accel? Annoying as a character? Personally I really liked him better in all the small ways his arc was different (having to pretend to be a coward and part of the club was entertaining, fighting to save someone instead of revenge allowed him to get to that lowest point that made the Aries arc good, and most of all he was more of a traditional lone hero arhetype that allowed for such a great contrast with gentaro and allowed some fun with that bad cliche...)

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

Even as someone who kind of enjoyed Wizard (don't ask me why, I'm not sure either): don't watch Wizard, it's bad in an objective sense. Also, if you're going to watch Agito, watch Kuuga first because A.) they're sort of connected and B.) Kuuga is the best.

Seconding this. Kuuga and Agito together are just a fantastic run, highly recommended. Double and Fourze are my favorites because I'm a kid at heart, but these two are really special.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

nerdman42 posted:

I did promise a buddy I'd try Power Rangers this year, so maybe I should start on that by the time July hits.

I think the only 2 Power Rangers I can really recommend in good faith are Time Force, which is practically a shot-for-shot remake of TimeRanger in some cases, and RPM, which kinda did its own thing with a post-apocalyptic timeline and a Skynet situation. Dino Thunder comes in at a distant third, notable because Tommy is there and the whole show is pretty much Power Rangers jacking itself off because of that.

fake edit: I forgot about Dino Charge! Dino Charge is apparently pretty good. I haven't seen a lot of it because I can't be arsed to netflix it.

If you're looking for Super Sentai recommendations:
Magiranger, Dekaranger, and Go-Onger are some of my favorite recent series that fall further into the "campy" side of things. Go-Onger in particular is goofy as hell; all the mecha can talk and have fantastic personalities, but the writing is really fun and the villains have their own poo poo going on that is pretty cool as well.

Go-Busters is notable because it's a departure both aesthetically and story-wise. It's about rangers assembled by essentially a shadow military to fight a rogue interdimensional AI that was created by mankind. It's got non-traditional villains who are very hands-on, and some surprisingly tragic backstories.

Gokaiger, on paper, should be loving impenetrable for anybody who hasn't memorized Rangerwiki front to back, being a massive 40th anniversary celebration of the whole franchise. However, its cast of characters is so drat charming and charismatic that you can get sucked in anyway. The rangers are all space pirates, and the red ranger's name is Captain Marvelous. He's completely unflappable, and doesn't look at explosions. He is real, and strong, and my friend. There was a really good gif floating around at the time where all this poo poo is blowing up and collapsing, and absolutely everybody is flipping out and panicking except Marvelous. He's great.

Shinkenger is one of the less campy sentai, imo. It gets a lot of praise for its ongoing plot developments, and gets way deeper into like villain backstories and how they intertwine in messed up ways with the samurai lineage that all the rangers are from. It has a lot of period drama trappings, despite being in the modern world. The 6th ranger is a sushi chef who fights with a cybernetic fillet knife.

I liked Boukenger a lot, but I think in retrospect that can be mostly chalked up to the bitchin soundtrack.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I think gokaiger is the best first sentai.
The gokaigers are as new as you are to this super sentai poo poo, the fight scenes where they can switch fighting styles and the story about them discovering what each team was about makes for a great intro and makes it so fun, the cast themself is a fun to watch on their own as each is an anti hero with a specific trauma (except don, who the villains don't care about).

It shows you who the sentai are, what they care about, all that while presenting fun story with good characters itself.

Shinkenger and go busters are both great but are not good intros, go busters was panned for not being sentai enough, but I'd recmmend them as second series.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Some Numbers posted:

Overall feelings about Meteor please.

Acne Rain posted:

I just guess I'll just ask the burning question: what are your thoughts on meteor? Too much like accel? Annoying as a character?

I think I ultimately liked Meteor more than Accel. Accel was all about finding what killed his family and moving on to find new love, like the city of Fuuto. Meteor was more about how him learning that friendship is based on honesty and not sacrificing one friendship for another. Terui was cool as an investigator and a fighter but Ryusei's goals and arc felt less cliche and more interesting. Especially since he went as far as killing Gentaro to do it. Oh, and I liked Ryusei with Tomoko more than I did Terui with Akiko. Both of them are strong characters, but Meteor appealed to me more.

That said, I definitely liked Shroud more than Tachibana as a mysterious benefactor with a love for ruthlessness. Emoto was great and definitely proved himself to be the more heroic, but Shroud was infinitely more interesting because she was so scummy. She was one hundred percent selfish until she realized she already lost everything.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Gokaiger was my first delve into any type of Toku, I watched it when it premiered and had a loving blast.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I would recommend Gekiranger because I like Gekiranger (the fight choreography is great) but I still don't think there are any good subs of it. :smith:

deadly_pudding posted:

Gokaiger, on paper, should be loving impenetrable for anybody who hasn't memorized Rangerwiki front to back, being a massive 40th anniversary celebration of the whole franchise. However, its cast of characters is so drat charming and charismatic that you can get sucked in anyway. The rangers are all space pirates, and the red ranger's name is Captain Marvelous. He's completely unflappable, and doesn't look at explosions. He is real, and strong, and my friend. There was a really good gif floating around at the time where all this poo poo is blowing up and collapsing, and absolutely everybody is flipping out and panicking except Marvelous. He's great.

This is literally from the first episode and is what initially sold me on the series.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Kuuga should definitely be your next show. It is completely different from Fourze and can be kind of slow at times, but it is excellent.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

nerdman42 posted:

That said, I definitely liked Shroud more than Tachibana as a mysterious benefactor with a love for ruthlessness. Emoto was great and definitely proved himself to be the more heroic, but Shroud was infinitely more interesting because she was so scummy. She was one hundred percent selfish until she realized she already lost everything.

This is how I feel about Shroud, too. She's like this messed up mutant lady who apparently spends all her time fuming about her death-grudge and performing hosed up ghost science in the woods. She's obsessed with hatred and revenge to the point that it's taken over her entire identity, and basically provides weapons and gear to Kamen Riders in the desperate hope that they'll get around to really murdering the poo poo out of her husband one day. She's gone so far off the deep end that she's looped back around to wanting to weaponize her son, the same as the rest of the family. It's great.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

If you continue with Rider, I absolutely recommend not watching Wizard. It is bad. Like, some series are hit-or-miss (Ghost is falling hard into this category for me, with flaws in several levels while still being watchable) but Wizard is flat-out bad. Nice choreography though.

I'll back the people saying Kuuga though. It's a total change from Fourze in how gritty it is, but Godai is pretty chill and the whole series is great.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Blaze Dragon posted:

If you continue with Rider, I absolutely recommend not watching Wizard. It is bad. Like, some series are hit-or-miss (Ghost is falling hard into this category for me, with flaws in several levels while still being watchable) but Wizard is flat-out bad. Nice choreography though.

I'll back the people saying Kuuga though. It's a total change from Fourze in how gritty it is, but Godai is pretty chill and the whole series is great.

If some kind of "Kamen Rider Wizard Abridged" exists, maybe look into that. It's a show that could have been good if it had like 13 episodes, instead of being stretched out to 50-ish.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

deadly_pudding posted:

I think the only 2 Power Rangers I can really recommend in good faith are Time Force, which is practically a shot-for-shot remake of TimeRanger in some cases, and RPM, which kinda did its own thing with a post-apocalyptic timeline and a Skynet situation.
fake edit: I forgot about Dino Charge! Dino Charge is apparently pretty good. I haven't seen a lot of it because I can't be arsed to netflix it.

Lost Galaxy, motherfucker!

Lost Galaxy was not just one of the two great post-MMPR series (along with Time Force for reasons mentioned) but it did so much with a sentai that was significantly different and needed a much different localization.

There's some stupid poo poo, mostly involving the sixth ranger and a brief set of episodes where they were saving money for the finale and let the freaky sentai footage roll, but they did a really good job. In part because they were willing to do things like make villains with long term plans (though In Space does this as well with Darkonda) and make an episode where the first 15 minutes are Trakeena being exiled and training to be a warrior, with the actual Rangers not even showing up until the second half.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Lost Galaxy suffered due to losing one of the lead actresses due to cancer which totally hosed a lot of their longer term plans, but it is still one of the best tokusatsu series ever made and has one of the all time best finales.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, I'm going to echo the sentiments about Wizard. Wizard is bad and boring, so skip it. I really liked Gaim, but it stumbles over its end. Drive is really good and for me, on par with Double.

RealFoxy posted:

Gokaiger was my first delve into any type of Toku, I watched it when it premiered and had a loving blast.

Me too, Gokaiger is what got me into Toku.

Shinkenger and Double are what made me stick around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Oh good god Linkara decided to do History of Power Rangers on Gokaiger kill me

• Locked thread