Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Rappaport posted:

I hope this is in the spirit of what the OP intended; this story isn't why I'm an atheist, but I think it hits a nerve about it.

Primo Levi was an Italian Jew who spent the winter of 1944-1945 as a guest of the Third Reich, with all that entailed. In the middle of that winter, there was a selektion, as the Germans called it (and the Germans certainly need no explaining!). The Germans made the prisoners wait hours, huddled in the front of the barracks that was their housing, and then run, naked, in front of what was purportedly a medical officer (and being that these were Germans, we may be sure some manner of medical degree was involved), for them to inspect the emaciated and starved prisoners. To select those who would live to work another day (again, Germans...) and who would go into the chimney.

Needless to say, mister Levi survived that selection. He also over-heard another survivor, once it had become clear who would labour another day and who would go into the chimney tomorrow, praying loudly. An elderly Jewish man, who had for some reason or another been chosen as one of the survivors. He was loudly thanking his God, over and over again, for sparing him, for letting him live. For not letting the Germans pick him, as his fellow bunk mates had been picked, to go into the chimney tomorrow. You understand? That the selected bunk mates also heard him?

Primo Levi thought, if he were God, he would spit on such a prayer.

And so would I.

His quote on the temptation to pray to escape from a situation where he had no control is good as well:

“I too entered the Lager as a nonbeliever, and as a nonbeliever I was liberated and have lived to this day. Actually, the experience of the Lager with its frightful iniquity confirmed me in my nonbelief. It has prevented me, and still prevents me, from conceiving any form of providence or transcendent justice…I must nevertheless admit that I experienced (and again only once) the temptation to yield, to seek refuge in prayer. This happened in October 1944, in the one moment in which I lucidly perceived the imminence of death…naked and compressed among my naked companions with my personal index card, I was waiting to file past the ‘commission’ that with one glance would decide whether I should go immediately to the gas chamber or was instead strong enough to go on working. For one instance I felt the need to ask for help and asylum; then, despite my anguish, equanimity prevailed: one does not change the rules of the game at the end of the match, nor when you are losing. A prayer under these circumstances would have been not only absurd (what rights could I claim? And from whom?) but blasphemous, obscene. Laden with the greatest impiety of which a nonbeliever is capable. I rejected the temptation: I knew that otherwise we’re I to survive, I would have to be ashamed of it.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Crowsbeak posted:

Now I want the Atheists here to answer the question why do you not like religion. As most of you obviously have some major problems with it or you wouldn'tpsot in these threads and declare theists to be mentally ill.

Well, since you ask: If God exists, the state of the world assures me that He is our enemy. In the interest of both optimism and a certain abstract appreciation of the idea of God as the ultimate good, my conclusion is that it's better not to believe. Or to be cheeky about it, I like God far too much to accuse Him of existing.

The best counter-argument I've seen leveled against this is that it's possible that all the suffering and scarcity and harms of excess that characterize human life are actually insignificant and that to complain about them is like a child complaining about their piano lessons. I can't actually refute this as such, I can only express how much it repulses me.

Or to put it another way:

BrandorKP posted:

We don't get to not interpret the reality we live in.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 25, 2016

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Another response is to go the other direction, that God participates fully and totally in our suffering.

To quote Bonhoeffer "only a suffering God can help"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

BrandorKP posted:

Another response is to go the other direction, that God participates fully and totally in our suffering.

To quote Bonhoeffer "only a suffering God can help"

An omnipotent being might be able to suffer, but He can never be subject to suffering in the way we are, because nothing could compel Him to submit to it with the possible exception of His own goodness.

To assert that is to assert that it's good that we suffer, and then we're back at the same impasse.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

There have been many religion threads in this subforum, but I'm hoping that with a slightly different take on it, this won't devolve into that oh-so-familiar flamewar and echo chamber we've all grown to expect.

This thread's title is not a challenge, but an invitation: rather than debate if God exists, or look at the reasons to think he does not, I want to start a discussion about why believers think he does. This is not a debate - this thread will solidly fall on the "discussion" side of the subforum's title, although if fellow believers think they can examine the nuances of others' reason to make them more robust, that is by all means permissible. I don't want to hear arguments against people's reasons based on the belief that God does not exist; let's just assume for the purpose of this thread that he does. What compels you personally to believe in God? Is it a logical argument, like the Cosmological or Ontological ones of Philosophy 101 fame? A problem that in your estimation couldn't be solved without God, like the origin of life or a basis for morality? Or is it simply your experience of him - he's shown up in your life so many times and in so many ways it would be like believing there is no air?

I'd like to encourage any respondents to go into detail, especially but not exclusively if your answer is in that latter category - how did you come up with this reason? Has it always been your reason? Have you had other reasons in the past that you've later, upon reflection, discarded as inadequate? Also, to whatever extent you are comfortable, please tell us (me) what religion you are a part of, which denomination or sect, things along those lines, just for context.

Also, if there are many reasons, discuss which are the more important and why - for instance, one might say that the Dead Sea Scrolls bolstered their faith, but without them they would still believe because of how good they feel in church, or something along those lines.

Just to hedge this off upfront, I'd like to dissuade people from the response, "I just have faith." Why do you have faith, then? Something had to convince you to have that faith initially, even if it was just being taught by your parents. Or, perhaps if this is your answer, try a slightly different route: why do you have faith in the specific God that you do? If you believe in Allah based purely on faith, how do you discern that it's Allah and not Yahweh, Vishnu, or Zeus?

Thanks all! I hope this will produce an interesting collection of ideas.

My personal reason for believing in God is that more than once, I have been confronted with a ~very important~ question that I couldn't answer on my own. I turned the conscious part of my brain off, which is hard for me because I'm that guy who overthinks everything, but once I did, the answer sort of appeared to me out of my subconscious. It wasn't a burning bush type thing, but I do genuinely believe that God gave me the answer from inside my own head.

I realize that people might respond saying that I had the answer inside my own head the whole time, but I also felt a feeling of peace when God came to me.

I have no proof obviously, but I think that's the point. I believe that God wants me to be an intelligent self supporting human, but every now and then I need a push in the right direction, and He's willing to help me out with that.

E: I'm that dick who didn't read all 11 pages before posting.

Griffen posted:

However, it can also break down into "Well, if God really existed, my friend wouldn't have been hit by that drunk driver and died." Such events are tragic indeed, but that is an example of letting our pain cloud our ability to accurately view the issue. Not to get into a tangent of free will vs omnipotence, but if God directly controlled everything we did, it kind of defeats the purpose of creating us in the first place. We are still responsible for our actions, and the consequences therein (or of other people's mistakes).

This one hosed me up for a while, but I think the easiest way to explain it is that God is your (2nd) dad who wants you to gently caress up so you understand what loving up entails. Sucks if you end up dying, but heaven exists so if you didn't gently caress up hard enough to go to hell, you're in heaven so hey good times. If you didn't die, congrats you're smarter than you were before. Comes back to my personal belief that God created a bunch of intelligent hairless monkeys and he smiles a little when we figure out how to not gently caress up.

Griffen posted:

Whereas most Christians can give an account of some moment in their life where it became real for them, for me it was a slow gradual process. I would go through life with an intellectual understanding that God loved me and would help me, but never really getting it on an emotional level. However, day by day I would lean on him a little more, tell him my troubles and how I wanted to be better, and then I before I realize it I have this feeling that someone is walking beside me. A lot of it is the understanding that our walk with God will transform us (theologians call it the process of sanctification), so we need to be willing to offer up who we are now to Him so that he can make us into something better. Much like in rock climbing when you reach the top, it can be hard to let go and trust the other person to catch you if you've not done it before. It's easy to pray "God, help me with this problem," but it is a lot harder to pray "God, in this time of trouble, help me to learn what it is I can from this to be a the man you want me to be."

I haven't gotten to the point where I can let go and assume God will fix it. I grew up Catholic but I feel that my current belief structure is more Deist at this point.

I feel that people who depend on God are using Him as a crutch and are missing the entire point of free will. If God wanted us to be dependent on him, we would be ants. God gave us brains capable of anything and everything including not believing, so doing what I feel like is essentially turning my gift off and relying in the big guy in the sky is an insult to said big guy.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jun 26, 2016

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

bitcoin bastard posted:

Comes back to my personal belief that God created a bunch of intelligent hairless monkeys

He also created boncecancer and psychosis.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Alhazred posted:

He also created boncecancer and psychosis.

God works in mysterious ways is bullshit said by stupid people so let's get that out of the way.

Life sucks. In the process of life sucking, people die. I'm sorry about your family member, but I personally believe that they ended up going to heaven unless they celebrated bone cancer by becoming a serial murderer. Their death reminds us that life does in fact suck and as it turns out, God really is that distant dad. I recently lost an uncle to schizophrenia related poo poo and yeah it sucks but at the end of the day, some people are better off dead, if you believe in a happy afterlife as I do.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

bitcoin bastard posted:

God really is that distant dad

Is he worthy of worship?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Blurred posted:

Is he worthy of worship?

This is the point where I sign my ticket to hell, but I think no. God as described is both omniscient and omnipresent, so He already knows what is going on. The Son he sent down was basically a hippie, so maybe he's not into people worshiping in obvious ways. I'm no theologian but I try to live by the golden rule which after multiple translations basically comes out to '"don't be a dick".

E: Worthy of worship, but I think doesn't want it in the obvious worship ways.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

bitcoin bastard posted:

Their death reminds us that life does in fact suck

I'm sure that all the people who died in painful ways takes solace in that it made the rest of us learn a valuable lesson.

quote:

I recently lost an uncle to schizophrenia related poo poo and yeah it sucks but at the end of the day, some people are better off dead, if you believe in a happy afterlife as I do.

Of course god didn't have to create schizophrenia in the first place (and it's kinda baffling that he did) and your uncle could've had a life without a crippling mental disease.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

E: NM, I have nothing good to say right now.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 26, 2016

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

bitcoin bastard posted:

This is the point where I sign my ticket to hell, but I think no. God as described is both omniscient and omnipresent, so He already knows what is going on. The Son he sent down was basically a hippie, so maybe he's not into people worshiping in obvious ways. I'm no theologian but I try to live by the golden rule which after multiple translations basically comes out to '"don't be a dick".

E: Worthy of worship, but I think doesn't want it in the obvious worship ways.

When God was on earth he made it clear that you worship him by acting as a servant to the meek.

E: obviously God the Father can not be subjected to suffering, but God the Son was.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 26, 2016

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

but He can never be subject to suffering in the way we are, because nothing could compel Him to submit to it with the possible exception of His own goodness.

Except that is what the Christian assertion is.

"He suffered" in the 325 version. More specific as to the exact suffering in 381 but the point is the same. The idea is yes, God is the subject of suffering. As one of us and in all of us.

Zizek nails a decription of the idea : http://www.lacan.com/zizshadowplay.html

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

BrandorKP posted:

Except that is what the Christian assertion is.

"He suffered" in the 325 version. More specific as to the exact suffering in 381 but the point is the same. The idea is yes, God is the subject of suffering. As one of us and in all of us.

Zizek nails a decription of the idea : http://www.lacan.com/zizshadowplay.html

I know. That's why I say it comes down to that assertion -- Christianity says, broadly, that our suffering (and by extension God's if you take that approach) are good and necessary. I disagree. It's not really something you can argue or prove, it's just a gulf between humanism and Christian theism that I don't think can really be resolved.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Christianity says, broadly, that our suffering (and by extension God's if you take that approach) are good and necessary. I disagree.

Some denominations and some theology yes, do what you are saying, others don't. I also disagree with any attempt to do theocidy.

Edit: I think Humanism and Christianity are compatible and I would point again to works like Barth's Humanity of God, that bridge that gap.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 26, 2016

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I know. That's why I say it comes down to that assertion -- Christianity says, broadly, that our suffering (and by extension God's if you take that approach) are good and necessary. I disagree. It's not really something you can argue or prove, it's just a gulf between humanism and Christian theism that I don't think can really be resolved.

This is something I can comment on. My feeling is that pain is necessary to enjoy pleasure*, if you don't understand how bad poo poo can suck, how can you possibly understand how good you have it right now?

*I rewrote this like 5 times, this was the least Shades of Grey wording I could come up with

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

bitcoin bastard posted:

This is something I can comment on. My feeling is that pain is necessary to enjoy pleasure*, if you don't understand how bad poo poo can suck, how can you possibly understand how good you have it right now?

*I rewrote this like 5 times, this was the least Shades of Grey wording I could come up with
If it's the case that humans can only enjoy X combined with the presence of Y, surely that's fault of whatever designed human psychology, and not an excuse for the presence of Y, if the designer of human psychology has the power to eliminate Y? (Alternative approach: I can't speak for you, but I know personally I have no idea just how bad poo poo can suck, but I still prefer to avoid ultimate worst case outcomes, even if that's limiting my ability to appreciate less than worst case outcomes)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

bitcoin bastard posted:

I recently lost an uncle to schizophrenia related poo poo and yeah it sucks but at the end of the day, some people are better off dead, if you believe in a happy afterlife as I do.

This sounds like the sort of philosophy a supervillain would use to justify cleansing the Earth of all human life.

bitcoin bastard posted:

As someone who experienced some Actually Terrible stuff, I can assure you that there will never come a time that it works out to a net positive. Some things have a permanent negative impact on your ability to experience happiness and enjoy life.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 27, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

bitcoin bastard posted:

Do I need to have a third degree burn to understand that ice cream is cold? If not, then why would I need to suffer to enjoy good things?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

Do I need to have a third degree burn to understand that ice cream is cold? If not, then why would I need to suffer to enjoy good things?

It also still leaves yet another question: why does there have to be so much evil? Surely stubbed toes, bad movies and boy bands would be sufficient suffering on the human condition to allow for pleasure.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

twodot posted:

If it's the case that humans can only enjoy X combined with the presence of Y, surely that's fault of whatever designed human psychology, and not an excuse for the presence of Y, if the designer of human psychology has the power to eliminate Y? (Alternative approach: I can't speak for you, but I know personally I have no idea just how bad poo poo can suck, but I still prefer to avoid ultimate worst case outcomes, even if that's limiting my ability to appreciate less than worst case outcomes)

I don't have any citations other than my life, but I can personally attest to the idea that until poo poo gets bad, you don't actually understand how good life can get.

Ytlaya posted:

This sounds like the sort of philosophy a supervillain would use to justify cleansing the Earth of all human life.

As someone who experienced some Actually Terrible stuff, I can assure you that there will never come a time that it works out to a net positive. Some things have a permanent negative impact on your ability to experience happiness and enjoy life.

I realize I might have been loose with my words and I apologize, also looking back I skipped a case that I don't have an answer for.

I believe that when you act badly and suffer the repercussions of your actions, you have a learning moment that you can or cannot decide to take advantage of or not. (This usually happens around the point where you realize you owe someone an apology.)

I do not have an answer for undeserved poo poo that happens to otherwise good people, and I'm sorry if my words earlier implied that I did. This is a philosophical/theological question that I do not have the answer to.

E: Fixed phrasing in 2nd paragraph.

E2: I wasn't trying to imply that mentally ill people should die, and my own depression may factor into my response. My point was that IF you believe in a happy afterlife, maybe letting go of a lovely earth-life is the best plan. I'm not advocating suicide, more like a DNR. I apologize because I don't have a good grasp on my own ideas here, and also my own depression is certainly affecting my responses.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 27, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

bitcoin bastard posted:

I don't have any citations other than my life, but I can personally attest to the idea that until poo poo gets bad, you don't actually understand how good life can get.

I can personally attest that poo poo getting bad doesn't guarantee you'll appreciate your life more, and in many cases does the opposite.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Who What Now posted:

I can personally attest that poo poo getting bad doesn't guarantee you'll appreciate your life more, and in many cases does the opposite.

Then we disagree and with something like faith I don't think we can come to a fact based agreement. I'm sorry about your personal situation and I wish you nothing but the best.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

bitcoin bastard posted:

Then we disagree and with something like faith I don't think we can come to a fact based agreement. I'm sorry about your personal situation and I wish you nothing but the best.

My point was that what may have been your case can't be applied to everyone, and can't be used to justify that suffering is necessary to appreciate good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

bitcoin bastard posted:

I realize I might have been loose with my words and I apologize, also looking back I skipped a case that I don't have an answer for.

I believe that when you act badly and suffer the repercussions of your actions, you have a learning moment that you can or cannot decide to take advantage of or not. (This usually happens around the point where you realize you owe someone an apology.)

I do not have an answer for undeserved poo poo that happens to otherwise good people, and I'm sorry if my words earlier implied that I did. This is a philosophical/theological question that I do not have the answer to.

E: Fixed phrasing in 2nd paragraph.

E2: I wasn't trying to imply that mentally ill people should die, and my own depression may factor into my response. My point was that IF you believe in a happy afterlife, maybe letting go of a lovely earth-life is the best plan. I'm not advocating suicide, more like a DNR. I apologize because I don't have a good grasp on my own ideas here, and also my own depression is certainly affecting my responses.

In case it wasn't clear, the supervillain comment as mostly a joke pointing out how "death isn't a big deal if you believe life after death is awesome" is always used as an excuse to kill everyone in fiction. I don't think that you actually want to kill everyone, haha.

I think that your explanation only really applies to the bad stuff humans do to each other. It doesn't really explain humans suffering for reasons completely unrelated to the actions or morality or other humans. There's not really any lesson to be learned from someone dying painfully from cancer they randomly acquired. Even if heaven is better by comparison, I'm pretty sure that person would still think "welp, still would have preferred not suffering from cancer while I was a mortal."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

bitcoin bastard posted:

It depends entirely how bad. Being unemployed for while or other "first world" bad things - yeah, someone could get over that and feel better once things are better again. But there are many things (for example "being raped") that will never have an upside to them. The people who suffer from truly terrible things like that will likely suffer the rest of their lives to some extent. There will never come a point where someone says "man, I can really appreciate life more now because I was raped."

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

How many painful terminal illnesses have you had so far in your life?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bitcoin bastard posted:

I cannot say the negative experiences in my life have at all contributed to my ability to enjoy the positive ones. If anything they've had the opposite effect.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

When I ask my Christian friends why they believe it often is about personal experience or feelings. If I, tactfully, persist with the topic the conversation invariably ends with *shrug* ah, who cares its just what I believe. This used to frustrate me but now I just let it slide. It isn't wrong. Life is such that we might as well make it as comfortable as possible. Believers, just know that if you really start to press into the mechanisms behind your beliefs it starts to fall apart. But meh. Life's too short to be an internet atheist.

bitcoin bastard posted:

This is both offensive and patronizing.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

OwlFancier posted:

I cannot say the negative experiences in my life have at all contributed to my ability to enjoy the positive ones. If anything they've had the opposite effect.

Well clearly you just didn't have enough faith.

:suicide:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
This thread started off legitimately interesting and intellectually stimulating for a few pages but hoo boy did it turn to poo poo quick.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

This thread started off legitimately interesting and intellectually stimulating for a few pages but hoo boy did it turn to poo poo quick.
Yeah it would have worked better if believers PM'd OP and he posted them anonymously sporadically imho.

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

Lampsacus posted:

Believers, just know that if you really start to press into the mechanisms behind your beliefs it starts to fall apart.

Speaking of both offensive and patronizing. No offense to your friends, but just because they haven't examined their own beliefs in depth enough to defend them or explain thoroughly doesn't mean everyone has that issue.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

bitcoin bastard posted:

I think there's a danger of taking this to the logical conclusion where in order to be maximally happy, or to cause others to be, you must inflict as much suffering on yourself and them as possible. I don't think I need to light myself on fire to get the maximum appreciation of not being burnt.

I get that in your life, the negatives have helped to emphasize the positives, but I think you recognize there's a limit to this, and I think you also know the weaknesses of this hypothesis.

Lampsacus posted:

When I ask my Christian friends why they believe it often is about personal experience or feelings. If I, tactfully, persist with the topic the conversation invariably ends with *shrug* ah, who cares its just what I believe. This used to frustrate me but now I just let it slide. It isn't wrong. Life is such that we might as well make it as comfortable as possible.

While this is a topic for another thread, I would ask you to consider the same argument for, say, using heroin, and ask yourself if you would take the same stance.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

ChristopherRobin posted:

Speaking of both offensive and patronizing. No offense to your friends, but just because they haven't examined their own beliefs in depth enough to defend them or explain thoroughly doesn't mean everyone has that issue.

Actually I've found that mindset to be pretty typical. For most people religion is little more than a piece of their identity that just kind of hangs out in the background of their life. Which is fine by me really since that lets them be way less crazy than they'd be otherwise (because the bible is awful).

I Like Jell-O
May 19, 2004
I really do.
This thread really did start out interesting, but hoo boy did it go south. Let this be a case study in why so many of these discussions don't work on a medium like a forum.

We start with a good premise, "Share your individual experiences". How useful this is may be under debate, but it's the kind of thing that a forum excels at. People asking clarifying questions is inevitable and can certainly enhance the discussion. Then, people start debating, and more damningly for the thread, they start making specific criticisms and demanding specific answers. Specific answers are going to be peculiar to the Creed and Sect of the person making the answer, and it's not like these answers are compatible with each other. When you bring up something as juvenile as the Problem of Evil, you will get a wide range of different answers that are a waste of time to read on a forum. This is a question so cliché that it has its own Wikipedia entry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_evil

So if you want to know how a given religion approaches the problem of evil, refer to the nice tidy Wikipedia entry and stop wasting our time in this thread.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

I Like Jell-O posted:

This is a question so cliché that it has its own Wikipedia entry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_evil

So if you want to know how a given religion approaches the problem of evil, refer to the nice tidy Wikipedia entry and stop wasting our time in this thread.
Isn't this the opposite of what you are encouraging here:

quote:

We start with a good premise, "Share your individual experiences".
I'm always interested in how someone deals with the problem of evil, because as the Wikipedia page shows, all arguments I'm aware of that it isn't a problem have been thoroughly dealt with.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

ChristopherRobin posted:

Absolutely. But it's hardly the thread to hold anecdotes up as declarations of broad cultural trends.

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

While this is a topic for another thread, I would ask you to consider the same argument for, say, using heroin, and ask yourself if you would take the same stance.

I see differences between a friend using religion and a friend using heroin. By and large, religion often provides more than a comfortable feeling. For example, a heightened well being. Its of such that I will not stage an intervention for a friend using religion. Would you? Why not?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yeah nobody is interested in the standard arguments, we are interested in the opinion of individuals who profess to believe in God as to why those standard arguments have not wrecked their beliefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Like Jell-O
May 19, 2004
I really do.

twodot posted:

Isn't this the opposite of what you are encouraging here:

I'm always interested in how someone deals with the problem of evil, because as the Wikipedia page shows, all arguments I'm aware of that it isn't a problem have been thoroughly dealt with.

It HAS been dealt with, in many different ways, by many different religions. Look, if the problem of evil is central to your belief (or lack of belief) in God, then share that. But don't argue about it in some kind of "gotchya" tit-for-tat. We can all acknowledge that there are a range of logical ways to approach Evil, and while you may find some more convincing than others there are answers out there. Personally as a Mormon, I thought the article did a good job of summarizing my answer. In the context of my religion, the problem has been thoroughly dealt with.

• Locked thread