Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

hemale in pain posted:

much like the uk it looks like the england football team is going to brexit too

Why do you divide your national team into 5 lovely teams instead of one good one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Young Freud posted:

Only winner countries get the privilege of being spoken to in their own language, losers have to speak in the tongue of the winners. At least they'll be a market for interpreters in post-Brexit England.

Pf don't pretend like the whole world doesn't talk English and trade in US dollars.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the blitz 2: electric boogaloo

this time, it's self-inflicted

coming to great britain summer '16

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Are we going towards a Children of men situation for england ?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maoist Pussy posted:

Why do you divide your national team into 5 lovely teams instead of one good one?

The same reason Canada, Mexico, and the US split up their teams.....language barriers.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Roylicious posted:

Pf don't pretend like the whole world doesn't talk English and trade in US dollars.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
So pensioners overwhelmingly voted to leave, and will be the demographic most hamstrung by that decision financially for the rest of their natural life :angel:

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

lol Iceland kicked England out of the european championship. get rekt!

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

uncleKitchener posted:

I'd like to hear one pro of actually leaving the EU because it all seems pretty gloomy and depressing.

Is the rest of England outside London so ignorant of global socio-economic matters that they think throwing a bunch of foreigners out really worth it when anything from chicken to TVR is no longer British-owned or comes from the same continent? A lot of industries are gonna fall flat due to lack of manpower, so congrats on getting your 'jobs' back.

At least now most people know Nigel and his bum buddies were a bunch of loony murderous wanks and Boris was actually the worst possible PM candidate, so there was some positive coming out of all this.

I saw a article mentioning some company boss who sent all his employees an email saying "vote leave, so we don't need to pay 1 million pounds a year on sugar import tariffs".

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

quote:

Carla Marinucci Verified account
‏@cmarinucci

"Vladimir Putin behaved in a more statesman-like manner in this referendum than President Obama did" -- @Nigel_Farage on @FoxNews

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

mike12345 posted:

LOL.

LEAVE.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

unpacked robinhood posted:

Are we going towards a Children of men situation for england ?

i think were still on the path for a v for vendetta

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

mike12345 posted:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Can they hold a referendum to revert the Strait of Gibraltar back to its infinitely cooler name, the Pillars of Hercules? I mean goddamn Great Britain I'd ask how you hosed that up but here we are.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
so now that we've had a weekend to think about it, has anyone come up with a reason that leaving the EU was a bad idea other than "maybe it will be slightly more difficult to travel" and "bankers are mad"?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

City of Tampa posted:

so now that we've had a weekend to think about it, has anyone come up with a reason that leaving the EU was a bad idea other than "maybe it will be slightly more difficult to travel" and "bankers are mad"?

Traveling will now be very cost and time prohibitive and the pounds in the bank are worth about the same as the scabs off a mangy dog.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

City of Tampa posted:

You are a dumb idiot troll, but here is a short list in case you are JUST dumb.

UK member states internal politics:

1)Scotland is looking for an exit out of UK and entry into the EU under its own grounds
2)Northern Ireland peace process compromised due to border returning - the Troubles are likely to return, which is super lovely
3)Potential Northern Ireland secession to join the Republic - it is now a real possibility

Things that will affect ordinary citizens:

1) International travel will be affected - UK citizens would have to get work/travel visas to go to other European countries (at the discretion of said countries)
2) Property abroad will be heavily taxed - alot of UK citizens have houses outside of the UK (in Spain, France)
3) Foreign accounts/pensions will be heavily taxed - EU ecosystem allowed people to invest into their pension abroad for better value, now they are pretty hosed due to extra incoming tariffs
4) Every UK citizens who is studying abroad is super hosed as they will forced to pay much higher fees due to being outside of the EU
5) GBP is in the trashcan - your money/salary is worth approximately 100% less then what it was a week ago
6) Racial tensions are at all time high and hate crime is on the rise in the UK

Speculation on local economy:

1) NHS will not be getting more funding because Farage lied about it
2) Jobs are unlikely to be generated as most businesses are pulling out of UK
3) New government cannot borrow from EU and will need to repay all EU debts prior to leaving, which will likely result in further austerity measures in the UK

Basically:

Captain Gordon fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 27, 2016

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That smug piece of poo poo Corbyn is getting hosed in the rear end, so there is that positive.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Captain Gordon posted:

You are a dumb idiot troll, but here is LOTS OF HYPERBOLE.

Calm down dear.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

City of Tampa posted:

I'm no fan of the EU m8, but this looks to have been hosed up in every possible way. I mean gently caress neoliberalism and all that, but this stunt is some real bush league stuff. Also what with the spike in hate crime maybe we can all stop pretending this isn't some cover for heinous poo poo. I have an elderly relation in London and I guarantee every one here she voted leave and is the biggest racist ever. When my husband and I met with her for the first time, she acted spooked when he revealed he was a quarter Italian, and treated us to some quality rants regarding pakis or whatever.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
BREXIT is like when Cersei wyldfyred the Sept of Baelor to prevent Al-Quaeda from overtaking Westeros.

XVIII
Jul 11, 2007
londish by injection
Repaying my US student loans instantly costs me £20 more per month
My company might leave the UK now and I would lose my job
No idea how receptive anyone is to hiring foreigners anymore if I do lose my job
Couldn't really afford to take continental holidays anyways, but now I really can't
I didn't get to vote either way
So yeah, this has already affected some plebs, depending on their situations

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Captain Gordon posted:

You are a dumb idiot troll, but here is a short list in case you are JUST dumb.

UK member states internal politics:

1)Scotland is looking for an exit out of UK and entry into the EU under its own grounds
2)Northern Ireland peace process compromised due to border returning - the Troubles are likely to return, which is super lovely
3)Potential Northern Ireland secession to join the Republic - it is now a real possibility

Things that will affect ordinary citizens:

1) International travel will be affected - UK citizens would have to get work/travel visas to go to other European countries (at the discretion of said countries)
2) Property abroad will be heavily taxed - alot of UK citizens have houses outside of the UK (in Spain, France)
3) Foreign accounts/pensions will be heavily taxed - EU ecosystem allowed people to invest into their pension abroad for better value, now they are pretty hosed due to extra incoming tariffs
4) Every UK citizens who is studying abroad is super hosed as they will forced to pay much higher fees due to being outside of the EU
5) GBP is in the trashcan - your money/salary is worth approximately 100% less then what it was a week ago
6) Racial tensions are at all time high and hate crime is on the rise in the UK

Speculation on local economy:

2) Jobs are unlikely to be generated as most businesses are pulling out of UK
3) New government cannot borrow from EU and will need to repay all EU debts prior to leaving, which will likely result in further austerity measures in the UK

Basically:

yeah like I said bankers or other rich people are mad. Is that a reason for someone that works for a living to care?

like I don;t see a plumber from Manchester pulling his hair out in despair at someone that owns a vacation house in loving Spain or who has money to invest in various foreign countries having to pay more taxes

Is France or wherever really going to start being an rear end in a top hat about Engilsh people travelling? I dunno, maybe they will be. I don't see why though. Tourists spend money and don't use a lot of government services. And the GBP will come back when the bank's temper tantrum is over.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

spud posted:

Calm down dear.

yeah man, the fire is metaphorical and hyperbolic. Its totally not going to burn you. Its not real

*dies*

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Looking forward to mom dying so we can split up the antique china between us and Canada

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Captain Gordon posted:

Now let's be fair, that was the official Leave campaign. Farage just kept his mouth shut about it until the day after the vote then pretty much said "lol you actually believed them when they said that, I owe Boris a tenner"

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Captain Gordon posted:

yeah man, the fire is metaphorical and hyperbolic. Its totally not going to burn you. Its not real

*dies*

*offers you a Werther's Original*

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

XVIII posted:

Repaying my US student loans instantly costs me £20 more per month

Why would you pay money to go to university in Amerikkka?

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
so what advantages to leaving the EU are left now that they've backpedaled on everything the leave campaign promoted?

the dissolution of the UK into its member nations i guess?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DOMDOM posted:

so what advantages to leaving the EU are left now that they've backpedaled on everything the leave campaign promoted?

There are no benefits anymore because all the good things from leaving are going to be thrown away to get back some (but not all) of the good things from staying

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

City of Tampa posted:

Is France or wherever really going to start being an rear end in a top hat about :words:

"start" ?

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DOMDOM posted:

We can kick out the 75.6million Muslims for a start.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
i think England dodged a bullet here and when the EU is basically America 2.0 in a few years you all will be glad that you left it.

At the very least now you'll get to pretend to vote for or against the neoliberals that will privatize and deregulate your entire coutnry

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

City of Tampa posted:

yeah like I said bankers or other rich people are mad. Is that a reason for someone that works for a living to care?

like I don;t see a plumber from Manchester pulling his hair out in despair at someone that owns a vacation house in loving Spain or who has money to invest in various foreign countries having to pay more taxes

Is France or wherever really going to start being an rear end in a top hat about Engilsh people travelling? I dunno, maybe they will be. I don't see why though. Tourists spend money and don't use a lot of government services. And the GBP will come back when the bank's temper tantrum is over.

People who work for a living were were buying houses abroad BECAUSE they were cheaper in France/Spain and not because they are were mad rich. Buying a house in the EU was the cheap-o retirement option for alot of Brits, same thing for pensions/savings. If anything, EU freedom of movement/investment allowed alot of ordinary people to get more bang for their buck. Also, dont forget, the UK was never a part of the EU monetary union, so they enjoyed an additional benefit of the GBP being an extremely strong currency vs the Euro.

Also, if you work for a living on a minimum wage, you probably care about things like being able to get a job and having healthcare. Both are likely to be super hosed due to Brexit, as the UK government have a huge net loss of cash/jobs to deal with. Also, like I mentioned earlier, they will have to pay back their EU loans over the next 2 years, which is a huge burden.

France/whomever are quite likely to either implement an ESTA-like visa waiver program rather than go down the full visa route, but EU could overrule them and make it very hard for British people to travel anywhere. Regardless of how its implemented, it does introduce barriers to travel, not to mention all the Brits that work abroad in EU countries, which will have to get work visas. Its not easy.

If you are an ordinary person in the UK you definitely don't want to see the return of troubles in Northern Ireland. Not having an Ireland/UK border was a huge deal for the peace process and with new borders we are likely to see the return of violence to NI. Also, if you are an ordinary 1st/2nd/3rd generation UK citizen that doesn't happen to be white you are very likely to suffer much stronger prejudice and inequality now than you did before, which is pretty lovely.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the EU as well and I think its a pretty poo poo organization. That said though, staying in the EU was definitely the better option overall due to the benefits it provided. Also, this is whole thing is pretty dumb - if UK wants to trade with EU they will have to follow the same regulations as they did before. UK will still be a part of the EU free market, which translated directly into having little control of immigration, as you would need to guarantee a relatively free movement of people to be a part of it.

The whole thing has been dumb and pointless.

Captain Gordon fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 27, 2016

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

City of Tampa posted:

i think England dodged a bullet here and when the EU is basically America 2.0 in a few years you all will be glad that you left it.

At the very least now you'll get to pretend to vote for or against the neoliberals that will privatize and deregulate your entire coutnry

"dodged a bullet*....I get it!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

City of Tampa posted:

Except the politicians are all now going back on their word are its basically going to be under EU mandate anyway... but with no say in anything they decide

XVIII
Jul 11, 2007
londish by injection

Maoist Pussy posted:

Why would you pay money to go to university in Amerikkka?

Cos I'm American, I moved here after uni.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Captain Gordon posted:

People who work for a living were were buying houses abroad BECAUSE they were cheaper in France/Spain and not because they are were mad rich. Buying a house in the EU was the cheap-o retirement option for alot of Brits, same thing for pensions/savings. If anything, EU freedom of movement/investment allowed alot of ordinary people to get more bang for their buck. Also, dont forget, the UK was never a part of the EU monetary union, so they enjoyed an additional benefit of the GBP being an extremely strong currency vs the Euro.

Also, if you work for a living on a minimum wage, you probably care about things like being able to get a job and having healthcare. Both are likely to be super hosed due to Brexit, as the UK government have a huge net loss of cash/jobs to deal with. Also, like I mentioned earlier, they will have to pay back their EU loans over the next 2 years, which is a huge burden.

France/whomever are quite likely to either implement an ESTA-like visa waiver program rather than go down the full visa route, but EU could overrule them and make it very hard for British people to travel anywhere. Regardless of how its implemented, it does introduce barriers to travel, not to mention all the Brits that work abroad in EU countries, which will have to get work visas. Its not easy.

Also, if you are an ordinary person in the UK you definitely don't want to see the return of troubles in Northern Ireland. Not having an Ireland/UK border was a huge deal for the peace process and with new borders we are likely to see the return of violence to NI.

This guy is a literal mental, is probably still in school, and has never worked a day in his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

lol england lost to iceland- a nation of less than 200,000 people- in a sport that they like to think they invented. lovely few days for ol' blighty

Captain Gordon posted:

i agree with everything in this post except for these two posts. how do border controls affect religious violence within Northern Ireland? also, Irish unification ain't happening, at least not in the immediate future. unionists don't like the result, but they really don't like unification with the Republic

• Locked thread