Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Oberndorf posted:

I don't think the ceilings are actually metal tiles. At roughly that time period, it was very popular to have rolled sheets of copper with a repeating pattern as ceilings. So not so much a tile as a sort of "wallpaper" of metal. If you go to early 20th century parts of town you can often still see them. At least around Detroit.

Depends on when they installed the ceiling and how much they spent on it. Apparently metal tiles were fairly popular for ceilings up until steel rationing began during World War II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Delacroix posted:

All the more reason if you decide on heading into a bar consider gira a sinistra e andar via al suo posto.

I have to say the illustrated cover to Anthony Comstock's Fighter would make fine cover art to an murican version of Phoenix Wright. :911:
If it wasn't pretty 'murican already considering the US localisation shifts the entire game to the US and everyone eats burgers instead of sushi rolls...which makes some parts of the game EXTREMELY weird to say the least when they enter obviously Japan places and it's like "oh no it's a resort inspired by Japanese people to get away from the city". v:shobon:v

But I agree, actually what IS Anthony Comstock's Fighter, I seen the image a couple of times but never knew what it was.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 21, 2016

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
Is there a term for that kind of aesthetic that would involve a metal ceiling? Is it supposed to be appealingly industrial or understated and sophisticated?

FinalGamer posted:

But I agree, actually what IS Anthony Comstock's Fighter, I seen the image a couple of times but never knew what it was.

It's a comic! Or maybe a visual novel. It's supposed to be about Anthony Comstock, very dead (also anti-birth control) so perhaps it's more accurately Anthony Comstock: Fighter. If fighting means beating up people (Captain Donnelly's method) who weren't strict moralists and driving some to suicide.

A person of his time, for sure.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

For some reason, this victim was the first one that really got to me. Maybe it was how fragile her body looked (and less physically desecrated), and then the sad details of her life, and on top of that what the guy was doing to her, but I actually was a lot more upset at this one. Quality voice acting, especially from the liquor store owner, made it that much more affecting.

McCaffrey is apparently a fan of books from the future (though it appears he got the condensed version). Surely you can write him up for that, a citation at least.

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

Delacroix posted:

Is there a term for that kind of aesthetic that would involve a metal ceiling? Is it supposed to be appealingly industrial or understated and sophisticated?

tin ceiling tiles were all the rage in America around the late-Victorian era. they were painted white and then it looked like the sophisticated plasterwork ceilings in Europe.

today it's mostly in hip bars

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

Verdafolio posted:

tin ceiling tiles were all the rage in America around the late-Victorian era. they were painted white and then it looked like the sophisticated plasterwork ceilings in Europe.

today it's mostly in hip bars

You can also find restaurants that do patterned metal ceilings. Probably prefab rolls like wallpaper, if I were to guess based on the fact that I've seen multiple restaurants in different cities that look like they have the same ceiling patterns.
This sort of thing

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Zagglezig posted:

You can also find restaurants that do patterned metal ceilings. Probably prefab rolls like wallpaper, if I were to guess based on the fact that I've seen multiple restaurants in different cities that look like they have the same ceiling patterns.

I think it's more likely that you'd get it in sheets rather than a roll - when you roll metal like that you can get a weird, wavy form after unrolling it which could make the ceiling look uneven and would take a lot of extra effort to flatten out. When my parents renovated their kitchen a few years ago my mother was dead set on getting a patterned tin/copper ceiling for some reason; I thought it looked terrible but it wasn't my house so I didn't have much say. When I was helping with the installation it came in 2x2 foot sheets that you'd butt up against each other to match up the patterns. Ever try nailing poo poo to a ceiling? How about with tiny, decorative finish nails? Super fun for your arms, neck and back. Fortunately their current kitchen is back to normal, painted ceiling.

Restaurants or other locations with bigger budgets may use bigger sheets or custom made patterns.

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007

Minor bit of trivia about Fred MacMurray: In 1939, CC Beck based the appearance of Captain Marvel (AKA Shazam) on MacMurray.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Better get Phelps and Galloway on the case, seems like we have a dead body.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I know it's random, but I like to think that Phelps just assumes that Rusty knows how to drive to basically every bar in the greater LA area.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

The Casualty posted:

Nice! It's quite enjoyable, with one of the finest examples of a "spider woman" that the noir genre delivers.

The audience had a big universal unintentional laugh when Walter talks about the mansion having cost "30 thousand dollars."

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

J.theYellow posted:

The audience had a big universal unintentional laugh when Walter talks about the mansion having cost "30 thousand dollars."

The same exact thing happened during my viewing too, haha

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Man, Cole sure knows how to tank a shotgun blast.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I had to skip this one. That white noise and film grain was too much. Liked the Psycho review though.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

pun pundit posted:

I had to skip this one. That white noise and film grain was too much. Liked the Psycho review though.

Really? And here I was worrying that they were too subtle to be authentic. There's a good chance that you'll get used to it if you can stick it out for the first few minutes, but at the same time I realize there are a lot of people out there who can't get used to the honestly terrible quality of old films. And if I somehow made it worse than an old film, I apologize.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

seemed fine to me, personally

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I got used to it but can't say I liked it.
By the way, might be on purpose because it wasn't a slasher film but Gein was also the inspiration for Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs.

Also, he is suspected of also having killed his brother which would make him an "official" serial killer although still just barely. (At least three victims with time passing in between the crimes.)

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 27, 2016

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I didn't really find the film grain effect too noticeable then again it could just be my monitor.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
Nice to see you do one of the cases in black & white. I know a lot of people will disagree but I think the game looks better in black & white. So much so that I haven't even seen most of the cases in color. You didn't mention this in the video because it didn't come up but if you haven't found any of the landmarks that you go to in this case, Rusty will eventually work out where you need to go. When I first played this case, I hadn't gone over to the side of the map where the tar pits and museum were so they weren't marked. Even worse was I figured out the tar pits but couldn't figure out where it was on the map.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Really? And here I was worrying that they were too subtle to be authentic. There's a good chance that you'll get used to it if you can stick it out for the first few minutes, but at the same time I realize there are a lot of people out there who can't get used to the honestly terrible quality of old films. And if I somehow made it worse than an old film, I apologize.

I may be hypersensitive to noise or something. It's mostly the hiss and audio quality that I have a problem with. I threw the film grain in there because I dislike effects in games and other digital productions that try to emulate a physical camera with imperfections. "Cinematic" to me isn't 24 frames per second with film grain and motion blur, it's about the framing, pacing, and storytelling.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The black and white makes the game look so much more realistic which surprised me. Some of the wide shots of Phelps and Rusty driving around looked drat near photorealistic. I wasn't bothered by the added effects since I watched the ep in 480p and wasn't using headphones. :haw: I like the homicide desk a lot but as a whole it feels weirdly separate from all the other desks because of the conclusion.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Notes:

- As always, the murderer was able to sneak into all these locations and plant all these items without being spotted.
- At City Hall there is maintenance access, at the Library you have to climb a drain pipe.
- The Social Security card seemed impervious to water damage.
- The church is fictional, but comparison to actual 19th and early 20th century churches in Los Angeles makes the style seem out of place.
- Once again, Phelps is transferred to another desk after a ridiculously short time, at most a few weeks.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Phelps talks about how it seems like the killer "researches" his victims, but nope, he randomly meets them at the bars he works at and kills them within the hour. Apparently he's able to gather tons of relevant information about them and their family/friends in that time, too. It's really dumb

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q-QAsi7Ge0

Alfred Hitchcock was also a really funny, witty gentleman.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
What's with the weapons in the wartime flashbacks? Everyone has a B.A.R. Even ol' Cole the platoon leader.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Count me in as someone who didn't mind the colour change, but hated the audio fuckery :(

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

CommissarMega posted:

Count me in as someone who didn't mind the colour change, but hated the audio fuckery :(

Colour change was neat, made for a refreshing and interesting change. Absolutely contributes atmosphere. The audio I didn't mind, but made it hard to hear dialogue in parts. Still, I liked it as a change of atmosphere.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I don't know if it was my lovely earphones, but the hiss seemed to really climb in volume during silences, like the loading screens. It's the one thing I'd rather done without.

I appreciated going over the previous victims, though. Makes me look a little less harsh on the magical killer writing than when I played the game myself.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
I liked the black and white and the audio, made it seem like a more authentic old classic. I can't stand playing the game in black and white, but watching it is actually fairly interesting. A lot of people give the homicide desk a lot of flak for tying everything up with a nice bow with the single killer, but I think it's an intriguing idea, even if it could have been pulled off better. As far as the move from Homicide to Vice, I think your description of it in the video is accurate. Vice is not a desk you're supposed to enjoy in any way. You get pulled forcibly out of homicide, after being forced to stay silent about something that, by all rights, people should know about, and have to deal with Roy loving Earle, who's already been shown to be a horrible person all around.

As far as Cole's story goes, Traffic was Cole's career high point, he caught criminals who were doing bad stuff and convicted them fairly, the only exception is Hopgood going free because of Roy Earle. In homicide he finds out that he's going to be forced to get quick and (at least in the cases we do in the game) incorrect convictions, culminating in a cover up because someone in Washington had a crazy half sibling. Vice is hosed, and nothing you do on that desk seems to matter at all, it's a cavalcade of horrible people and horrible vices, which also culminates in a less than spectacular ending, which we'll see when we get there.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Prepare yourself thread, we're about to hit the shittiest part of the game and the worst desk!

:siren:WOO WOO:siren:

also I find the audio hiss weirdly soothing, but the black and white I think isn't good (but that's a complaint with the filter itself, not your work bobbin) The game is really colorful, and I love it.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
What? Vice and Arson are the best parts of the game; Vice because you have a partner that isn't afraid to show his utter contempt for anyone or anything that isn't him and can beat Cole at his own game and Arson because it's when the story actually begins to go places instead of the player just watching Cole do his job.

That said, I kinda wished this mission was still recorded in colour because it has some really unique and great looking locations to visit - but oh well.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

The black and white filter would be better if it juked the contrast for darker blacks and whiter whites to match the style of the classic films it's aping. Then again, higher contrast might have made a lot of things unreadable.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
I quite liked the black and white look, personally.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Psychotic Weasel posted:

What? Vice and Arson are the best parts of the game; Vice because you have a partner that isn't afraid to show his utter contempt for anyone or anything that isn't him and can beat Cole at his own game and Arson because it's when the story actually begins to go places instead of the player just watching Cole do his job.

That said, I kinda wished this mission was still recorded in colour because it has some really unique and great looking locations to visit - but oh well.

Earle is the character everyone just hates. He's smarmy, but he's smarmy in a way that makes you want to run him over with his own car. Considering that Cole is already a kinda crappy person, having a partner who's even less respectful of people and their rights and is openly corrupt just makes him an incredible jackass.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Earle is the character everyone just hates. He's smarmy, but he's smarmy in a way that makes you want to run him over with his own car. Considering that Cole is already a kinda crappy person, having a partner who's even less respectful of people and their rights and is openly corrupt just makes him an incredible jackass.

Earle is so bad he makes Cole look like the boy scout Cole wants to think he is.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Also vice has a bunch of stupid poo poo you have to deal with.
Black Caesar, the upcoming case, is my least favorite case in the game.
Arson is cool though and has one of my favorite cases.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Earle is so bad he makes Cole look like the boy scout Cole wants to think he is.

The wonderful thing about Earle is that after a couple of missions you can see his demeanor beginning to rub off on Cole and while they're constantly throwing sarcastic barbs at each other, he's the only partner we see Cole hang out with after work on multiple occasions. To a certain degree they they get along quite well.

He's also a villain (is that too strong of a word? An antagonist, I guess?) who isn't mustache twirlingly evil for the sake of being evil, he has his own world view and has no problem using and abusing his position and the people around him to further his own goal of enriching himself and carving out his own slice of the pie. And for a villain he's also pretty competent and plays the game well - the final scene in the game shows just how unrepentant and ruthless he truly is.

edit:

Grapplejack posted:

Also vice has a bunch of stupid poo poo you have to deal with.
Black Caesar, the upcoming case, is my least favorite case in the game.
Arson is cool though and has one of my favorite cases.
Eh, Black Caesar is used as a vehicle to introduce the actual plot of the game beyond a few newspaper flashbacks you may or may not have seen. Other than that it's fairly forgettable and straightforward. Reefer Madness, The Setup and Naked City are pretty fun though (too bad 2 of those are DLC though, I guess).

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 28, 2016

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

If I've said this before, forgive me.

I'm a bit confused by the desk order. Modern American police hierarchy appears to have Homicide at the top of the peak with Narcotics and Vice a little below and all other divisions way below. So why does Cole go immediately from traffic to homicide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Oh man. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. Stephen Gammell's art was so wonderfully hosed up. Apparently the current edition replaces it with bland standard kids' book art and completely ruins the experience in the process. (Incidentally, apparently Gammell has a ton of other juvenile books where he did perfectly normal, sunny art. It's startling. I assumed he was this twisted master of horror that they happened to tap for these books in an unprecedented stroke of genius.)

• Locked thread