Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

seiferguy posted:

For what it's worth, I contact Square Enix about being disconnected from the game several times in a 2-day period. This is what they sent:

I haven't forwarded those ports. I need to get around to doing that.

yo thank you, gonna do this immediately when i get home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Lemon-Lime posted:

Is there any way to level a birb up faster? The fact that you can't bring it into the dungeon and overworld mobs give so little XP is making it level at a glacial pace, and food only seems to give 100XP or so per carrot when it takes multiple thousand to level. :(
You should be getting 1% of a level per Krakka Root until you hit level 10, where each further level receives a gradually smaller benefit. Also, the EXP received is reduced if the stable isn't clean.

My birb has been 20 for a few months and that's all from challenge logs and Krakkas.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Kwyndig posted:

Stick with Gladiator for a while first. You haven't even hit dungeons yet, no point stressing out about cross class at this point.

Okay, cool, thanks! Should I be concerned about making money through the field classes? Like in WoW, gathering skills were important for having enough money to do things--is there enough of a market for low level materials that I should be mining/picking flowers/fishing?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cephas posted:

Okay, cool, thanks! Should I be concerned about making money through the field classes? Like in WoW, gathering skills were important for having enough money to do things--is there enough of a market for low level materials that I should be mining/picking flowers/fishing?
Nope. You don't need to spend money on anything but teleports until you're 60 (and +3% XP food if you want to be a minmaxer, which is literally 3 gil for 30 minutes' worth from NPCs in every city and house) and if you did need cash you'd make most of it by selling quest rewards anyway. If you want to start building a bank, get your two retainers out on ventures whenever you can - you can get the Venture items needed with Grand Company seals or from beast tribe quests once you hit 41 - and sell whatever they bring back, but that's how most of the low materials get out there in such high quantities to begin with. It's not expected for you to run around and smack nodes for Iron Ore or whatever unless you're a Chinese gil selling bot.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Cephas posted:

to tack onto dack (heh), the crafting/gathering really doesn't come into play until end-game, and even then its completely avoidable unless you want to make some money/create your own gear. unlike in wow you actually have to swap to the gathering class to get things, hence, why it's infeasible to gather on your own outside of powerleveling. i would recommend trying them out, fishing in particular is very relaxing if you just want to watch youtube and chill

you can have guildmates make you HQ gear for every step of your leveling process, it does make things easier and some will do it for free even

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The first time crafting was useful to me was doing 220 gear so I could catch up on the ilvl needed to do main scenario. That was once in like two years. I don't remember who was it that called crafting a gigantic pyramid scheme but that was spot on.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Rafza posted:

you can have guildmates make you HQ gear for every step of your leveling process, it does make things easier and some will do it for free even
This is a good point - you can probably find someone crazy enough to make you HQ everything 1-50 if you just keep asking them as you level up, and then post-50 you can basically cost on 50 gear and quest rewards to 60.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Potato Jones posted:

You should be getting 1% of a level per Krakka Root until you hit level 10, where each further level receives a gradually smaller benefit. Also, the EXP received is reduced if the stable isn't clean.

My birb has been 20 for a few months and that's all from challenge logs and Krakkas.

If you've ranked up with the Vath enough, they sell other varieties of choco food at a fixed price, which give just as much exp as a krakka root. Compare prices and go with whatever's cheapest.

Also, choco exp per kill is a largely flat amount which never gets better (or worse) as the choco ranks up, while food and challenge log scale with the total exp needed to rank up (which make them loving awesome at rank 19 and loving terrible at rank 2). So definitely supplement with active grinding until your choco's at least rank 5 or so. The higher you get past that, the more pointless it is to grind out kills for the actual exp from those kills (above and beyond what you're getting for challenge log anyway).

An easy way to complete the challenge log is to bust out your bird for your daily clan hunt targets. Even if you only do the level 3 clan hunts, that'll still knock out most of the challenge log's higher goal by the end of the week.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Elentor posted:

The first time crafting was useful to me was doing 220 gear so I could catch up on the ilvl needed to do main scenario. That was once in like two years. I don't remember who was it that called crafting a gigantic pyramid scheme but that was spot on.

I have gotten tons of mileage out of crafting but mostly for dumb things. It's been nice being able to gear up alt jobs without having to nag someone else constantly for upgrades. I've also saved tons of money on frivolous glamour items and furniture.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cephas posted:

Concerned? No. There are a few key recipes and materials that definitely sell for more than you'd imagine early on, though it doesn't get so crazy as wow low-level item prices. Not usually, at least.

But you don't actually need gil while you're leveling. Depending on your playstyle you actually never get to >need< gil. The cost of living (teleporting/repairing/food) in FFXIV is very cheap compared to WoW. It's just that everything else is incredibly expensive.

Failboattootoot posted:

I have gotten tons of mileage out of crafting but mostly for dumb things. It's been nice being able to gear up alt jobs without having to nag someone else constantly for upgrades. I've also saved tons of money on frivolous glamour items and furniture.

Yeah I mean actual max level combat stuff that sits outside of the crafting/gathering/glamour circle.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
Just to double check, I play the Windows version of FFXIV (through wine, on Linux...). If I got a Mac, would I need to rebuy ARR and HW? If so, how many people have tried using the Mac equivalent of wine (Cider or whatever?) to play the game. If I can do it in Linux then I'm definitely going to give it a try.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

Fister Roboto posted:

Seriously, check your server's price for glass fiber. Multiply that by 18/7, then multiply that by 80. Ask yourself if that's worth getting your relic slightly faster.

poo poo, thanks for mentioning this. I just made ~500k by no longer hoarding what moogle tokens I had on hand.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

ruta posted:

Just to double check, I play the Windows version of FFXIV (through wine, on Linux...). If I got a Mac, would I need to rebuy ARR and HW? If so, how many people have tried using the Mac equivalent of wine (Cider or whatever?) to play the game. If I can do it in Linux then I'm definitely going to give it a try.

You'd need to buy the Mac version to use the Mac version. So, yeah, you'd have to rebuy it. The Mac version only comes in an ARR/HW bundle.

At 2.0 launch I tried to get FFXIV to run under Wine on OS X and never succeeded, but since the OS X version runs via Cider anyway things may have changed since then.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
i forgot the pw to the ffxiv goons forum and it's not sending the account retrieval info email

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Elentor posted:

Yeah I mean actual max level combat stuff that sits outside of the crafting/gathering/glamour circle.

I am being pointlessly pedantic but crafting has gotten involved in 2 or 3 of the relic steps so technically....

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Xenoveritas posted:

The best way to level up you chocobo is via the challenge log, since it gives your bird a flat 15% XP to its next rank per week.

Which, yes, means that getting to Rank 20 is going to take freaking forever. If you can get people to steadily shove carrots into your bird that's like 1% of a level per carrot (although I think it's actually diminishing returns as the ranks go up - I hit rank 20 a while ago and don't remember exactly).

But, yes, it's a very slow process.

If anyone wants an idea of how long, my character was made in February last year. My Chocobo will hit 19 from tomorrows first challenge(the one that rewards 5% TNL,) Projected to hit 20 at the later half of August. I've done very little training at stables. Partly to change up favored feed when leveling other classes, but mostly to make sure that challenge log experience sees minimal waste. Beyond level 10 your Chocobos do not gain experience towards a new rank until you use a Thavnarian Onion, which means you can lose a lot of experience that cannot roll over in to a new level at that point if you're not careful. So it's roughly a year and a half without super grinding out kills or feeding.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 27, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've just been informed that I missed the 3.3 launch by a couple weeks. Anyone have any patch notes I can maybe access from work?

Did it include that deep dungeon thing?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Dungeon thing not in yet.

Instead we get the finale of the Dragonsong War, Hullbreaker HM, and the Aquapolis, which is a dungeon you go into by using treasure maps.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Vil posted:

Admittedly, you can make any class fly up to level 10 or so between hunting log, 1/5/10 class quests, and the armory bonus. Even without the battle chocobo (which honestly doesn't really contribute much to combat until you hit level 51 and it finally gets semi-reasonable stat scaling).

If you're planning at all to level other classes there's no reason not to get them all to 15 so you don't have to worry about meeting sub class requirements. Also when you go back to level them they're ripe for fast track dungeon xp.

There used to be a good reason to be a class instead of a job: Cross Class actions in PVP. 10 vs. 5 is great when you want to superbuff and pile on the damage as a class that normally can't. However they killed that by rebalancing pvp stats/damage taken by each class.
Now the only one that can feasibly get away with it is Archer and even then, you're probably a bot trying to sneak by in terms of peoples first/second thoughts opinions on you in group content.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Kwyndig posted:

Dungeon thing not in yet.

Instead we get the finale of the Dragonsong War, Hullbreaker HM, and the Aquapolis, which is a dungeon you go into by using treasure maps.

The finale? Really? Well now I gotta resub tonight just for the story, didn't think it would be wrapping up quite yet.

Any new trials, new Warring Triad or anything? Significant changes to BRD or NIN, perhaps?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ciaphas posted:

The finale? Really? Well now I gotta resub tonight just for the story, didn't think it would be wrapping up quite yet.

Any new trials, new Warring Triad or anything? Significant changes to BRD or NIN, perhaps?

BRD was buffed, new trial is Nidhogg.

Mage's Ballad Damage reduction on self has been changed from 15% to 10%. Cast time has been reduced from 3 to 1.5 seconds.
Army's Paeon Damage reduction on self has been changed from 15% to 10%. Cast time has been reduced from 3 to 1.5 seconds.
Foe Requiem Cast time has been reduced from 3 to 1.5 seconds.
Battle Voice Recast time has been reduced from 300 to 180 seconds
Empyreal Arrow Potency has been increased from 220 to 230.
Sidewinder Potency when target is suffering from both Venomous Bite and Windbite has been increased from 250 to 260.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Trials are Story Based, the Warring Triad kinda sorta got a neat solo quest where you feel like a boss going against Gaius 2.0 solo (again.)

BRD and NIN have better numbers now, with the biggest change being that BRD's songs come out twice as fast now and Battle Voice has a 3 minute CD instead of 5 minutes.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

:wow:

Guess I'm playing BRD first then. NIN is fun and all but BRD was my favorite besides the onerous song cast times, and now that's not a problem

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kwyndig posted:

BRD was buffed, new trial is Nidhogg.

Mage's Ballad Damage reduction on self has been changed from 15% to 10%. Cast time has been reduced from 3 to 1.5 seconds.
Army's Paeon Damage reduction on self has been changed from 15% to 10%. Cast time has been reduced from 3 to 1.5 seconds.
Foe Requiem Cast time has been reduced from 3 to 1.5 seconds.
Battle Voice Recast time has been reduced from 300 to 180 seconds
Empyreal Arrow Potency has been increased from 220 to 230.
Sidewinder Potency when target is suffering from both Venomous Bite and Windbite has been increased from 250 to 260.

Wait. They STILL didn't do anything with Wide Volley? I'm very disappointed with that. Even though I haven't played BRD since capping it at the beginning of HW, I have been pushing for Wide Volley to get a damage buff to bring it in line with Spread Shot/Grenado Shot.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Yoshida: I think that's still a possibility. Something like "Miqo'te lessons," and create some space in Idyllshire that only players with VR can enter, and have some kind of Miqo'te paradise. That might be interesting.

:greenangel:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm just kind of assuming there's new music in 3.3, is anything better than the A8 music? That's hard to loving top

(In fact the only reason I realized 3.3 was out was I was thinking about that song this morning and wandered over to r/ffxiv to reminisce a bit before work :3:)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ciaphas posted:

I'm just kind of assuming there's new music in 3.3, is anything better than the A8 music? That's hard to loving top

(In fact the only reason I realized 3.3 was out was I was thinking about that song this morning and wandered over to r/ffxiv to reminisce a bit before work :3:)

The trial music for Nidhogg is pretty drat good.

edit: as is the music for Ozma, and the music for that warring triad trial. Maybe not A8 quality, but enjoyable nonetheless.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 27, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

If it's even remotely thematically related to the other dragon fight/default flying mount themes then I'm probably gonna pretty much lose my poo poo

Given that it's Nidhogg I figure my odds of poo poo-losing are pretty high!

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 27, 2016

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
The new songs have been good and they added like 25 music rolls too, including a few 1.0 tracks.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

On a side note I completely forgot about Fanfest tickets and they're sold out, the place it's being held is literally ten miles from me, gently caress this gay earth. :mad:

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

If it's even remotely thematically related to the other dragon fight/default flying mount themes then I'm probably gonna pretty much lose my poo poo

remember the heavensward cgi trailer?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

remember the heavensward cgi trailer?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kwyndig posted:

I haven't been selling fiber lately but that's because I'm using tokens to buy the level 58 crafter's set instead, which saves me some gil (not sure if it saves me net gil, but whatever) versus buying new crafter gear off the MB.

Instead I do dumb poo poo like buying minions.

I'm legit surprised if spending kupo nuts on level 58 gear is a better idea than spending them on fibers, selling the fibers, and then buying HQ level 60 gear with the gil. If you're using moogle quests to level a crafting class there is zero reason to buy non-60 gear for it. I took LTW from 50->60 using an i60 set because even HQ moogle quest items are a joke to craft since moogles don't have a bunch of stupid arbitrary penalties like Ixali did.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

Xenoveritas posted:

You'd need to buy the Mac version to use the Mac version. So, yeah, you'd have to rebuy it. The Mac version only comes in an ARR/HW bundle.

At 2.0 launch I tried to get FFXIV to run under Wine on OS X and never succeeded, but since the OS X version runs via Cider anyway things may have changed since then.

Thanks for info. I think the other hard part about all this is I'm having a hard time even finding the Mac version. There appear to be sales for HW around now, so if I could get the bundle at a comparable rate to a one month subscription, that'd be one thing. Maybe I'm just blind. All I'm seeing is it on the official SE store, which is 59.99 USD. Kind of a sad picture for someone who just wants to play it on the go because she's hopelessly addicted.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Unfortunately I'm fairly sure that the only place to get the Mac version is via the Square Enix store. I'm pretty sure it's download-only and only directly from them.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm legit surprised if spending kupo nuts on level 58 gear is a better idea than spending them on fibers, selling the fibers, and then buying HQ level 60 gear with the gil. If you're using moogle quests to level a crafting class there is zero reason to buy non-60 gear for it. I took LTW from 50->60 using an i60 set because even HQ moogle quest items are a joke to craft since moogles don't have a bunch of stupid arbitrary penalties like Ixali did.

Yeah, and the moogle vendor even sells a bunch of stuff for gil too. I used the level 55 gear from that (along with a main hand from the class quest maybe?) and it's been more than enough to do the quests with ease. They're super easy. I think there was a set of stuff that required level 52 before it? Either way it was just random cheap grays the whole way up.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Xenoveritas posted:

Unfortunately I'm fairly sure that the only place to get the Mac version is via the Square Enix store. I'm pretty sure it's download-only and only directly from them.

I'm pretty sure the mac port is still just basically repackaged playonmac so its ridiculous that they're selling it at all. It should just be tied into the PC license.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm legit surprised if spending kupo nuts on level 58 gear is a better idea than spending them on fibers, selling the fibers, and then buying HQ level 60 gear with the gil. If you're using moogle quests to level a crafting class there is zero reason to buy non-60 gear for it.

the full set of level 58 gear costs 57 nuts which would be 6.5 fibers, currently worth 3 sets of HQ level 60 crafter gear on Exodus.

you can get the same set with blue scrips but that's not worth it either considering how easy it is to level with moogles and vendor-buyable GC dailies, and how cheap level 60 mats are because of Aquapolis.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah I'm sure it's a terrible idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?
I might be retarded because the automated auth system isn't working for me on ffgoons.
I put the phrase in my profile, but the thing keeps telling me phrase not found.

This is my ffgoons user - http://forums.ffgoons.com/member.php?action=profile&uid=168349
and then this is obviously me here - http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&user=tombosleyexp

Please ridicule me.

• Locked thread