Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

corn in the bible posted:

it actually means worst to best
More accessible = worse game. I hope Paradox takes notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Gort posted:

It needs a loving ton of quality of life improvements. Stuff like regiments being drawn from specific places is a million times more fiddly than having a manpower pool.

This is pretty integral to v2 though, it determines the whole rebellion system and interacts with pop militancy and so on.
Not saying it's a good system but going manpower pool would be a step towards making it like one of the Eu timeline extender mods and no longer v2.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Yeah attaching a sense of identity and history to your units is cool, it just needs adjustments and a better UI. Which defines most of Victoria II. The biggest issue imo in a sequel would be maintaining the sense that when you are developing your country you are doing so by wrangling with a world economy, and not just proceeding down a linear tech tree (the HoI approach, which is fine in that series). I've been reading a history of Stalin and the early Soviet Union's deeply confused economic policies and it has me slavering for more robust, yet comprehensible options in a Vicky III.

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 26, 2016

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

he's right that the lists match tho

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Fuligin posted:

If you care about internal politics and the pop system the answer is Victoria 2, no question.

Seconding this, but it's a much harder game, and unlike some Paradox games you really don't want to play Victoria 2 without all its expansions.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Arrhythmia posted:

More interesting though it may be, Victoria 2 is not a better game than EU4, or CK2.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

I know.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Fuligin posted:

Yeah attaching a sense of identity and history to your units is cool, it just needs adjustments and a better UI. Which defines most of Victoria II. The biggest issue imo in a sequel would be maintaining the sense that when you are developing your country you are doing so by wrangling with a world economy, and not just proceeding down a linear tech tree (the HoI approach, which is fine in that series). I've been reading a history of Stalin and the early Soviet Union's deeply confused economic policies and it has me slavering for more robust, yet comprehensible options in a Vicky III.

Which history is this? I'm always looking out for new historical stuff to read and this sounds interesting unless it's extremely technical.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
If I could make one change to the Vic 2 system it would be adding a button which would take you to the factories for a specific province. You can build a factory from the province view, but once you close it you're in the general factory list then have to scroll all over, I just want to open up the factories directly for one state by clicking on a province then another button. Vicky 3 developers take note please.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

YF-23 posted:

More interesting though it may be, Victoria 2 is not a better game than EU4, or CK2.

i vehemently disagree.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Looks like you guys already forgot about the best game:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Looks like you guys already forgot about the best game:

i'm the NOT RESPONDING notice

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Prism posted:

Which history is this? I'm always looking out for new historical stuff to read and this sounds interesting unless it's extremely technical.

It's Kotkin's "Stalin", first volume of a planned three. Stalin bios are a dime a dozen but this one's a pretty amazing feat of scholarship, as much a history of Russia and the revolution as the man himself.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
I'm the prestige loss when you switch generals for your army in Vic2.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

A Buttery Pastry posted:

We already read the HoI4 forum.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Eskaton posted:

I'm the prestige loss when you switch generals for your army in Vic2.

that's a good thing, actually

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

This is pretty integral to v2 though, it determines the whole rebellion system and interacts with pop militancy and so on.
Not saying it's a good system but going manpower pool would be a step towards making it like one of the Eu timeline extender mods and no longer v2.

Abstract that poo poo. If 15% of your soldier pops support the Communists, just have 15% of your army defect if the Communists rise up. If you must split it up, split it into a pool for each nationality (or just accepted/non-accepted) and abstract from there on down.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

my polar bears will never support the communists

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

PleasingFungus posted:

that's a good thing, actually

That .148 score prestige loss is always knocking me off the #8 slot.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Knocking me off the #1 slot which makes it impossible to buy enough supplies for my soldiers so they all drop in org and get killed by the enemy and faster than I can blink I get balkanized in a great war.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

Knocking me off the #1 slot which makes it impossible to buy enough supplies for my soldiers so they all drop in org and get killed by the enemy and faster than I can blink I get balkanized in a great war.

Kaiser Wilhelm Simulator

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

Friend Commuter posted:

Abstract that poo poo. If 15% of your soldier pops support the Communists, just have 15% of your army defect if the Communists rise up. If you must split it up, split it into a pool for each nationality (or just accepted/non-accepted) and abstract from there on down.

There are already a lot of abstracted strategy games. Some of us like stupid fiddly details like that. I still miss the population listing in EU2.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Friend Commuter posted:

i only recruit from non-slave states. to hell with johnny reb!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Viral Warfare posted:

There are already a lot of abstracted strategy games. Some of us like stupid fiddly details like that. I still miss the population listing in EU2.
I think the "Split into culture manpower pools" solution would be by far the most optimal solution, from a gameplay and realism point of view. The present system basically gives the player way more information than it realistically should have, encourages paying attention to it, and results in some smaller countries having trouble fielding proper armies because their soldier pops are too spread out. The suggested system would change that to giving the player a realistic level of information (Our North German soldiers are more likely to be Communists than our South German ones), which could be displayed right alongside each manpower pool and thus make it real simple to pay attention to, and make it so spread out soldier pops don't ruin your attempts at making an army.

If anything, the quality of information could probably be reduced further, with technologies and policies unlocking more precise information. Basically, early on you might only have a very very general idea of the potential troublemakers in your army (or country in general), to the point where it might be downright misleading, but then by funding intelligence services and secret police your could get a more accurate picture of what's going on.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

corn in the bible posted:

i only recruit from non-slave states. to hell with johnny reb!

Oh buddy you should actually send johnny reb to go take Yemen or some poo poo

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I'd be in favour of abstracting things such as, all soldier pops add up to a single manpower pool, that manpower pool is used to build brigades. Less so in abstracting things to the point where if 15% of your population is communist then 15% of your army rebels; that should be based off the percentage of your communist soldiers in such a system.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

YF-23 posted:

I'd be in favour of abstracting things such as, all soldier pops add up to a single manpower pool, that manpower pool is used to build brigades. Less so in abstracting things to the point where if 15% of your population is communist then 15% of your army rebels; that should be based off the percentage of your communist soldiers in such a system.
Yeah, definitely. If sailors became a pop type in themselves, they should also be kept separate from soldiers.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If anything, the quality of information could probably be reduced further, with technologies and policies unlocking more precise information. Basically, early on you might only have a very very general idea of the potential troublemakers in your army (or country in general), to the point where it might be downright misleading, but then by funding intelligence services and secret police your could get a more accurate picture of what's going on.

, thereby making even more impossible to make meaningful decisions about the game's systems

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

, thereby making even more impossible to make meaningful decisions about the game's systems

said the developer for the game which only gave information in units of "types of food" for 10 years straight

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

Well, it would be entirely consistent with both HoI4 and Stellaris, where you don't have a perfect picture of what's going on when it comes to enemy numbers. As for making it even more impossible, it would basically be a question of how willing you are to gamble. Plus the fact that it would be on a per-culture basis, with the information you need right there (even if incomplete), would reduce the amount of decisions you would have to take. And I mean, what decision making is there even in Victoria in this regard? Either you don't give a gently caress about it, or you do, and then you just have to go through all your armies checking to see which regiments you need to disband or ship off to die. Which just seems like a bunch of busywork to me. It'd certainly much rather have a higher level decision to investigate or suppress revolutionary activity among a pop type and be able to focus on the big picture, rather than having to micromanage regiments.

Making decisions at a higher level would also allow more options, as you wouldn't be forced to do them on a regiment-by-regiment basis. You could have an entire system of attempting to manage the ideologies of your armed forced for example, which could be made pretty intuitive to the player. Basically, you'd have the option of encouraging ideologies among your armed forces, dependent on your present ideological position. You could have the hard but potentially safer option of dampening revolutionary fervor across the board, which would just reduce the overall number of revolutionary regiments, or you could encourage a rival revolutionary group in the hope that it will draw people away from the one you're truly worried about, and ideally then the two wasting time on each other instead of rising up against you. Basically, supporting Fascists so the Communists don't get out of hand, to give a historical example. Which would of course have the option of blowing up in your face in a most terrible fashion.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Friend Commuter posted:

Fremdschämen.

I'm feeling this right now again reading this thread.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

ExtraNoise posted:

I'm feeling this right now again reading this thread.

Happy to help!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

said the developer for the game which only gave information in units of "types of food" for 10 years straight

What game? Sounds fun.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, it would be entirely consistent with both HoI4 and Stellaris, where you don't have a perfect picture of what's going on when it comes to enemy numbers. As for making it even more impossible, it would basically be a question of how willing you are to gamble. Plus the fact that it would be on a per-culture basis, with the information you need right there (even if incomplete), would reduce the amount of decisions you would have to take. And I mean, what decision making is there even in Victoria in this regard? Either you don't give a gently caress about it, or you do, and then you just have to go through all your armies checking to see which regiments you need to disband or ship off to die. Which just seems like a bunch of busywork to me. It'd certainly much rather have a higher level decision to investigate or suppress revolutionary activity among a pop type and be able to focus on the big picture, rather than having to micromanage regiments.

Making decisions at a higher level would also allow more options, as you wouldn't be forced to do them on a regiment-by-regiment basis. You could have an entire system of attempting to manage the ideologies of your armed forced for example, which could be made pretty intuitive to the player. Basically, you'd have the option of encouraging ideologies among your armed forces, dependent on your present ideological position. You could have the hard but potentially safer option of dampening revolutionary fervor across the board, which would just reduce the overall number of revolutionary regiments, or you could encourage a rival revolutionary group in the hope that it will draw people away from the one you're truly worried about, and ideally then the two wasting time on each other instead of rising up against you. Basically, supporting Fascists so the Communists don't get out of hand, to give a historical example. Which would of course have the option of blowing up in your face in a most terrible fashion.

it doesn't sound like you've played a lot of v2 because you mostly don't have to do that

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

What game? Sounds fun.

http://crawl.develz.org/

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

i'm speaking from experience!

besides, as a player of paradox games, are you gonna say you're not a fan of the sultana?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

This is the first time I've ever seen the CSA survive. I didn't even have anything to do with it. I've been in my own hell wars vs. France and the UK before. My military tech is so bad

Mexico's wargoal is Arizona.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

cool and good posted:

This is the first time I've ever seen the CSA survive. I didn't even have anything to do with it. I've been in my own hell wars vs. France and the UK before. My military tech is so bad

Four Corners is going to be a hell of a border checkpoint in this timeline.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

cool and good posted:

That does happen from time to time. The CSA never manages to survive more than a few decades, since the USA gets a permanent reconquest casus belli and the CSA can never get enough industrial output and manpower to compete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

cool and good posted:

Ughhhhh why would the US want the BC interior like that. This is the problem with the 49th parallel and all these straight province borders, the maps look horrendous.