Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
anyone wanna save me by delivering some fuel to pegasi sector rj-n a8-3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Panch posted:

So you submit, which lets you charge FSD faster, but gimps you insanely by having you spin for a ton of time.

Or take your chances with the mini game and if you lose, you're gimped again. What's the purpose of submitting now? Also the mini game is sometimes straight up impossible if your escape vector starts what seems like behind you. I'm guessing there's some underlying mechanic or pattern to it that was never explained because it's Elite:Dangerous.

And then you essentially have to exploit the AI with a niche weapon to maybe get away?

Man I know I've drive-by meltdown'd a few times in this thread but I think I'm honestly out this time. I had a dream of raising enough cash to make a super cool clipper or cutter explorer with the engineer FSD buffs and exploring distant screenshots far and wide in Imperial luxury, but gently caress all the nonsense to get there.

No, the problem is that submitting doesn't work instantly. Even after you throttle all the way down and the "Submitting" message appears, it takes a few seconds for the submit to actually come into effect - and the minigame keeps going during that time, along with the possibility of losing the minigame before the submit finishes. The intention is probably to keep people from playing the game and just submitting when they're about to lose, but it does mean that even someone who's genuinely trying to submit faces the risk of losing the minigame and being successfully interdicted before their submit comes into effect and ends the minigame. To minimize that risk, you have to keep following the crosshair while submitting.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
There any good ED mods besides EDSM and EDMC?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Strategic Tea posted:

The Cobra is about Millennium Falcon size IIRC, and a Corvette is about the size of the Normandy. But nothing gives that 'I am flying an office block with fifty souls aboard' feeling as far as I know. Never flown anything really big though so :shrug:

If you want to fly an office building, the Type 9 is your ship.

Shadow_333
May 2, 2016

FronzelNeekburm posted:

If you want to fly an office building, the Type 9 is your ship.

Hardcore NPC even use the T9 in CZ now.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

GuyonthecoucH posted:

Fit the largest biweave shield you can along with milspec armor and as many HRPs as you can fit. The vulture doesn't lose a whole lot of speed from weight and it's biweaves regen fast.

To expand on this, it's almost impossible to load the vulture down enough for the mass to have any affect on it's flight performance. It's engines are just that big.

The magic number is 420 tons, anything below that won't reduce it's speed or agility at all.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Tabletops posted:

anyone wanna save me by delivering some fuel to pegasi sector rj-n a8-3?

Aw man, you posted this like 10 minutes after I logged for the night.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I hope that when we get Create-a-Pilot later this year, they give us options for applying colors and patterns to the flightsuit. I wanna make a real Willy Wonka-looking motherfucker.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Reminder :
http://archive.is/2Hzu6

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

deadly_pudding posted:

I hope that when we get Create-a-Pilot later this year, they give us options for applying colors and patterns to the flightsuit. I wanna make a real Willy Wonka-looking motherfucker.

Only $7.00!

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Nice meltdown.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I've read that chaff is useless on NPC's; is that true?

Long-haul trucking made me a fair amount of money over the weekend, especially since I was able to a-rate the FSD on my shiny new Asp. 6 jumps would net me ~3m - 4m credits from an outpost outside the bubble. I was able to gear up the Asp (a-FSD, b-Power Plant, c-Thrusters, 3a-Shield). I've had lots of NPC interdictions, thought from reading the thread, a lot seem to be coming from the materials / cargo which may be rewards for engineers? The game even threw a Dangerous Imperial Clipper at me. I've gotten a little better at flying with flight assist off, spinning and corkscrewing while boosting away, 4 pips to shields and 2 to engines. Flight assist off tends to make the npc pirate miss a lot and I usually get away with a few shield hits.

I'll have to give the mine launcher and some seeker missiles a try because the only time I've bothered using them is when I'm interdicted by a novice or "mostly harmless" or whatever.

Also managed to rank myself from none to mid-way through "serf" so I can get my icourier.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

MoraleHazard posted:

Also managed to rank myself from none to mid-way through "serf" so I can get my icourier.

:toot:
Courier is fun. It gets decent jump range for what is mostly a combat ship, it's quite agile, has tanky shields, looks real good, and mounts medium hardpoints. There's even room in there for cargo racks so you can pick up salvage or do small-time smuggling runs.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
Any suggestions for an iCourier weapon load out for RES hunting? This ship is easily the best cockpit in VR I've been in. Holy crap! Gutayama believer from now on. Now to just stomach that dumb rep grind.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How 2 get the monies/rep for ships like the Empire Clipper so I don't spend literally all my free time for the next year trying to grind for it.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Wtf is this?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Kramjacks posted:

Wtf is this?
That would be the lead AI programmer for E:D having a meltdown because people were annoyed about the difficulty of her new AI in combination with the bugged weapons and engineer modules on all NPCs bonanza :allears:. Truly exciting times we live in.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Mercurius posted:

That would be the lead AI programmer for E:D having a meltdown because people were annoyed about the difficulty of her new AI in combination with the bugged weapons and engineer modules on all NPCs bonanza :allears:. Truly exciting times we live in.

Ah ok, I remember she said "looks fine" about that video where an NPC Vulture kills a player's Python in like 0.2 seconds.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Excuse my rant for a minute here

So, I've been away from E:D for a while. I log in and my Cobra Mk4 has some kind of bi-weave shield? wtf? So I start crusin the rare goods circuit to get some coin and I get interdicted on the way in to sell a big pile of stuff and in the past it was either fed patrols or 1-3 stupid pirates that I could always bring down easy peasy. Well nope! It's a single pirate with one of those federation space APC's and he blows down my shields and pushes my poo poo in faster than I can even get my power levels adjusted. I try another circuit... same thing...

oh and then insurance is like 100x more than it used to be. wtf happened? I don't know if this is the Cobra Mk4 being trash, or the bi-weave shield thing, or what? Was the Cobra Mk3 better for combat or something? I don't know what I'm doing anymore.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Mercurius posted:

Holy poo poo. I read it and just figured it was an oforums "It's called Elite Dangerous for a reason" type's blog post but wondered why they would have deleted it. I love when devs post that sort of stuff.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Kramjacks posted:

Ah ok, I remember she said "looks fine" about that video where an NPC Vulture kills a player's Python in like 0.2 seconds.

Wait what

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So Elite Dangerous, the extremely grindy space game, has now become extremely difficult so it is now very hard to grind

oh

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZN_yZ07-18

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Phi230 posted:

So Elite Dangerous, the extremely grindy space game, has now become extremely difficult so it is now very hard to grind

oh

git gud little piggy :smuggo:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I get interdicted more frequently with rare engineer materials in my cargo hold than when I carry mission goods :shepface:

I think I'm going to jettison them all because its actively loving with my ability to farm non-cargo materials.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I don't understand conflict zones. I go to a low intensity one, side with a faction, about two seconds later a hundred NPCs are on me and blow me up. Like, what in hell kind of mechanic is that.

I've even tried to stay with the green pack and not shoot until they do, but that doesn't work either.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Blind Rasputin posted:

I don't understand conflict zones. I go to a low intensity one, side with a faction, about two seconds later a hundred NPCs are on me and blow me up. Like, what in hell kind of mechanic is that.

I've even tried to stay with the green pack and not shoot until they do, but that doesn't work either.

Yeah that's been my experience with CZs since the Engineers patch dropped too. You don't want to try CZs without a wing.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Hmm yes because 4 pips in SYS would've made any lick of difference there :wtc:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Finster Dexter posted:

look at this little piggy :jerkbag:

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Hexenritter posted:

Yeah that's been my experience with CZs since the Engineers patch dropped too. You don't want to try CZs without a wing.

CZs have always been a bad time if more than one NPC takes a liking to you at once, and pre 2.1 AI was about as good as gang banging the player as it is now. You're just simply not going to make it without a ship that can survive a group hug long enough to frameshift out.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

timn posted:

CZs have always been a bad time if more than one NPC takes a liking to you at once, and pre 2.1 AI was about as good as gang banging the player as it is now. You're just simply not going to make it without a ship that can survive a group hug long enough to frameshift out.

Well, right now I can't even survive being interdicted by a single ship, where I used to have no problem being interdicted by 2-3.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Finster Dexter posted:

Excuse my rant for a minute here

So, I've been away from E:D for a while. I log in and my Cobra Mk4 has some kind of bi-weave shield? wtf? So I start crusin the rare goods circuit to get some coin and I get interdicted on the way in to sell a big pile of stuff and in the past it was either fed patrols or 1-3 stupid pirates that I could always bring down easy peasy. Well nope! It's a single pirate with one of those federation space APC's and he blows down my shields and pushes my poo poo in faster than I can even get my power levels adjusted. I try another circuit... same thing...

oh and then insurance is like 100x more than it used to be. wtf happened? I don't know if this is the Cobra Mk4 being trash, or the bi-weave shield thing, or what? Was the Cobra Mk3 better for combat or something? I don't know what I'm doing anymore.

NPCs got a massive buff in 2.1. They've been through a couple nerf cycles since then but they're still far more vicious than they were when you last played. Also, if you have a high combat rank, they'll be even tougher and also have a very high chance of packing engineered weapons that are even more powerful than normal and can have nasty special effects on top of that. Have fun!

You'll probably have a far better shot in the Cobra III, which is fast enough to run away from things.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Flying around in this machinegunning vulture I almost like NPCs interdicting me. :getin:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I cannot wait to get level 5 dirty drives on my Vulture.

All I need to do now is grind an engineer for an invite, then grind another engineer for an invite, then travel 5000 LY and find a couple UAs. :getin:

eukara
Aug 5, 2014

Do you believe in life after bomb?
Only had bad luck with the Engineers so far. Did an upgrade to my PowerPlant with 3x 1% improvements and it just wasn't worth the extra mass. If you plan on upgrading something beyond an A-Rating, stack up enough of those fancy materials... I already started making a shopping list

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Which engineer takes all those shield scans? I have about a billion of them.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

MoraleHazard posted:

I've read that chaff is useless on NPC's; is that true?
Depends.

Are you trying to dodge NPC scans for some reason? If yes, then chaff is worthless.

Are you trying to gently caress with the tracking of gimballed and turreted weapons? Then no, chaff is not worthless.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Blind Rasputin posted:

Which engineer takes all those shield scans? I have about a billion of them.

The answers to all things

http://inara.cz/galaxy-engineers

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Finster Dexter posted:

4 pips would have bought him just under 2 seconds, which would be enough time for him to notice his shields were taking damage right before they went down and his hull evaporated anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Is this mostly a Euro based game or is the bubble so big that player sightings are comparatively rare? I hardly ever see other players in USTZ, maybe one or two.

• Locked thread