Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

How the gently caress is someone getting pissed at neo nazis fucks violating their first amendment, unless Congress passed a law saying those particular nazis couldn't assemble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
This thread. It's going places, I tell you.

On phone, so to much of a pain in the as to go back and quote the post, but I'm at the prison city brewery in auburn. So far so good.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
What the hell is this Nazi argument about????

Actually forget it. Game of Thrones series closer rocked.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yes it did!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Tldr ilkhan is a nazi

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

iwentdoodie posted:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

How the gently caress is someone getting pissed at neo nazis fucks violating their first amendment, unless Congress passed a law saying those particular nazis couldn't assemble?

Hey we should be really lucky to have a great white knight in our midst to ask the tough questions.

*ignores the obvious motivation behind hate groups making public demonstrations to rile racial tensions*

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Yes it did!

gently caress yes it did. That whole first part up through Tommen just nope'd his way out was amazing television. The rest was solid too.

Felt like Tommen and Ser Davos' rant were pretty much fan reactions turned into characters. They rushed through Arya a bit but honestly it was so satisfying that I don't even care about the logistical gaps.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of Arya in general but she rocked that scene.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rhyno posted:

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of Arya in general but she rocked that scene.

Somehow she's even more boring than in the books.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

iwentdoodie posted:

Somehow she's even more boring than in the books.

Being played by a poo poo actress doesn't help.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I watched the $100000 Pyramid instead :colbert:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

gently caress yes it did. That whole first part up through Tommen just nope'd his way out was amazing television. The rest was solid too.

Felt like Tommen and Ser Davos' rant were pretty much fan reactions turned into characters. They rushed through Arya a bit but honestly it was so satisfying that I don't even care about the logistical gaps.

A thousand cosplayer took one look at Cerasi's dress and got copying. She looked seriously bad rear end being crowned Queen and taking the Iron Throne - despite the fact she's utterly screwed with Dany coming to nuke her rear end like Cerasi nuked the Sept. And also with the North also now with a King, Jon Stark/Snow/Targaryan, first of whatever his Name. also really loved Tyrion being named Hand of the Queen. And then you had Frey being served pie

On a show that has followed the books and heaped poo poo on the main characters over a long time, it's nice to see the heros for once get some reward or revenge, even if it is only for now.

About the only real complaint is the teleporting was a bit jarring. It's explainable but still it was a bit odd to see Varys in Dorne then back on a ship with Dany

In all honesty, the show is getting better the further it gets ahead of the books. GRRM wrote well up the Red Wedding, then descended into circles and going nowhere afterwards. The last two series have been kinda crap trying to untangle that poo poo but now it's got the whole plot in one direction... kinda like Rickon

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 28, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

iwentdoodie posted:

It has been interprted more broadly than that. In particular, if the police did not protect the protesters from harm (as has been alledged) they have an argument that the state acted in a way that failed to protect their right to protest.
For example, if during the civil rights movement, the police had allowed the klan to attack them, there would be a pretty solid case here.

However, my understanding is the case was way less one sided that seems to have been claimed. A fair number of counter protesters were stabbed by the neo-nazis as well. I saw them (some neo-nazis) walking toward the protest with shields and sticks at about 1PM (20min before the brawl). Hardly showing an intent for a peaceful protest. As far as I can tell it was two groups scrapping for a fight, which they got.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

IOwnCalculus posted:

I felt the whole Battle of the Bastards to be something to satisfy the bile people had for Ramsey Bolton. It seemed too perfect.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I fuckin loved Bolton. He was the best bad guy ever.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

nm posted:

It has been interprted more broadly than that. In particular, if the police did not protect the protesters from harm (as has been alledged) they have an argument that the state acted in a way that failed to protect their right to protest.
For example, if during the civil rights movement, the police had allowed the klan to attack them, there would be a pretty solid case here.

However, my understanding is the case was way less one sided that seems to have been claimed. A fair number of counter protesters were stabbed by the neo-nazis as well. I saw them (some neo-nazis) walking toward the protest with shields and sticks at about 1PM (20min before the brawl). Hardly showing an intent for a peaceful protest. As far as I can tell it was two groups scrapping for a fight, which they got.

You're an actual lawyer so I'm not even gonna gently caress around :v: but yeah, what are the cops supposed to do? If they react harshly, it's news. If they don't, it's news. No one is going to risk their career or life for nazis.

And rhyno: agreed. You hate that guy so loving hard, because he was so well acted. I never hated ramsay that much in the books, but the show makes you loving loathe him. Probably the best acting in the entire show.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Michael played a pretty boss Scarface.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What the hell is Game of Thrones?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

And rhyno: agreed. You hate that guy so loving hard, because he was so well acted. I never hated ramsay that much in the books, but the show makes you loving loathe him. Probably the best acting in the entire show.

He was only the best actor after Joffery got knocked off - That kid was amazing. Lena Headey is a bit one note (This episode she was basically Ma-Ma at Kings Landing) but she has been never less than perfect anyway.

Whomever made that dress Cersei wore is going to get a lot of cosplayer enquires. Talk about looking absolutly badass

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

leica posted:

What the hell is Game of Thrones?

The same overhyped poo poo that everyone gets completely worked up for. Give it a bit and it'll die away just like everything else. Thank god.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ssjonizuka posted:

The same overhyped poo poo that everyone gets completely worked up for. Give it a bit and it'll die away just like everything else. Thank god.

Yeah, it's not like every season sets a viewership record or anything. Strap in for at least 4 more years.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So it's kinda like Lost?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

leica posted:

So it's kinda like Lost?

No because it actually is good and makes sense.

GoT is way overhyped, but it really is good. Probably only one more season, also.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

iwentdoodie posted:

GoT is way overhyped, but it really is good. Probably only one more season, also.

They're shooting for at least 8 and there will be at least one spinoff.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

nm posted:

Well, maybe before Warren v District of Columbia was decided. Or the other various SCOTUS decisions that have found the police have no legal requirement to enforce the law or protect individuals.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

They're shooting for at least 8 and there will be at least one spinoff.

D&D only wanted one more season, HBO convinced them to do 13 episodes split over two years. The very last episode will be in the most viewed TV of all time I bet.

quote:

GoT is way overhyped, but it really is good

GoT can be crap and it does have some seriously dumb poo poo even in the best episodes but when it's good it's exceptional.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 28, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Geoj posted:

Well, maybe before Warren v District of Columbia was decided. Or the other various SCOTUS decisions that have found the police have no legal requirement to enforce the law or protect individuals.

You mean the most overquoted case by laymen decided by the dc circuit?

I don't really want to type out a long screed on my phone but there's a pretty apples to oranges set of fact patterns here. Also note that the question of legal liability answer really only whether the police are going to pay money, not if they violated rights. There are many cases where courts have found constitutional rights violations, but have not actually found liability due to a few theories.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

A thousand cosplayer took one look at Cerasi's dress and got copying. She looked seriously bad rear end being crowned Queen and taking the Iron Throne - despite the fact she's utterly screwed with Dany coming to nuke her rear end like Cerasi nuked the Sept. And also with the North also now with a King, Jon Stark/Snow/Targaryan, first of whatever his Name. also really loved Tyrion being named Hand of the Queen. And then you had Frey being served pie

On a show that has followed the books and heaped poo poo on the main characters over a long time, it's nice to see the heros for once get some reward or revenge, even if it is only for now.

About the only real complaint is the teleporting was a bit jarring. It's explainable but still it was a bit odd to see Varys in Dorne then back on a ship with Dany

In all honesty, the show is getting better the further it gets ahead of the books. GRRM wrote well up the Red Wedding, then descended into circles and going nowhere afterwards. The last two series have been kinda crap trying to untangle that poo poo but now it's got the whole plot in one direction... kinda like Rickon

Jaime knows damned well what Cersei did and I think in a cruel twist of irony he's going to kill her when all is said and done - I mean, she accomplished what the Mad King threatened to do after all, and that was enough for Jaime to kill him. I mean, the look he gave her at her coronation was one of horror. Also Varys is quite possibly a Faceless Man

It was an incredible episode nonetheless.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 28, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The thing I love most about GoT is Jamie Lanister. In the first season he is a monster but later, around season 4 he becomes far more sympathetic and I am constantly reminding myself that he's a bad person.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rhyno posted:

The thing I love most about GoT is Jamie Lanister. In the first season he is a monster but later, around season 4 he becomes far more sympathetic and I am constantly reminding myself that he's a bad person.

I look at your history of alleged friends and I'm not surprised.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pham Nuwen posted:

I look at your history of alleged friends and I'm not surprised.

WE'RE NOT TALKING ABOUT ME.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rhyno posted:

I've never seen him as truly BAD. Self serving and a dick? Yeah. But he can be good, and he has some sort of twisted honor. He more just survives.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

iwentdoodie posted:

I've never seen him as truly BAD. Self serving and a dick? Yeah. But he can be good, and he has some sort of twisted honor. He more just survives.

I mean, he pushed a child out a window to cover up his incestuous affair that one time. Oh yeah, and he banged his sister enough to have three kids.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Certainly in the books Jamie goes from major dick to sympathetic. And while he's viewed as a monster for offing his King, the King was about to nuke Kings Landing after all. I dont see him as a bad person or at least I see him going in the direction of not being one

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Certainly in the books Jamie goes from major dick to sympathetic. And while he's viewed as a monster for offing his King, the King was about to nuke Kings Landing after all. I dont see him as a bad person or at least I see him going in the direction of not being one

Yeah, I think he's getting there. It's surprising how much I like him now compared to during season 1.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rhyno posted:

I mean, he pushed a child out a window to cover up his incestuous affair that one time. Oh yeah, and he banged his sister enough to have three kids.

In the universe the story exists in, that isn't even that bad. Just self serving, like I said. If bran had talked then his life and her life could potentially be ruined.

hosed up, and yeah he was a piece of poo poo...but over all I view him as more of a sympathetic character. If he was a midget he'd be tyrion.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tyrion isn't really all that great of a person either!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

Agreed, I would've like to see him survive.

It's interesting the range that actor has, he played a quiet mousy character in the UK show "Misfits". Whereas he was a raging arsehole in GoT

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rhyno posted:

Tyrion isn't really all that great of a person either!

HE'S LIKE AN ONION OKAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

iwentdoodie posted:

HE'S LIKE AN ONION OKAY

A bloomin' onion? I love those.

• Locked thread