Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Panzeh posted:

You want autothrusters over stealth device. The banana man sits awkwardly.

Dengar with K4, PtL, Unhinged, Title, Engine is the super action man.

If I were doing something else i'd probably go with lw/gunner/painbot,

The banana is basically there to block people in Dengar's arc/Fenn's range.

I like VI a lot on Dengar because he can get good mods without needing to use his EPT and he almost always ends up shooting first- but he does need to use his action to do it, so engine is often wasted in my experience.

And yeah, see above re. Fenn - rolling 5 dice at range 1 and adding an evade is just sinful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

thespaceinvader posted:

The banana is basically there to block people in Dengar's arc/Fenn's range.

I like VI a lot on Dengar because he can get good mods without needing to use his EPT and he almost always ends up shooting first- but he does need to use his action to do it, so engine is often wasted in my experience.

And yeah, see above re. Fenn - rolling 5 dice at range 1 and adding an evade is just sinful.

Dengar can get good mods without using his EPT, but he can't get good mods AND dodge people that way.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
No.

He can get good mods OR dodge, but he's agile and punchy enough that he often doesn't need to dodge, especially if he has 5-dice Fenn running wingman and a decent blocker.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
What's a banana in an X-Wing context?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Binayre Pirate.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Be right back, going to paint one of my Blacksun Z95s completely yellow.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Strobe posted:

On the other hand, it means that you need your maneuvers to be well thought out and preferably done so several turns in advance, and the nature of maneuver templates means sometimes you have to set up your own bumps to ensure guns are on target.

If it was just set dial -> move -> focus, it'd be a whole hell of a lot easier to do well with.

You have to plan more than one turn in advance with *every* list, or you'll get stomped by someone who does. Same with causing self bumps where needed, though that's not something you do with Soontir specifically.

Like I said in my post XXX isn't easy to fly well, but it literally is just dial > move > focus each turn. Planning ahead isn't something that only that list does.

RE: Fenn, he will 100% want autothrusters, as he is not able to simply teleport into range one to use his ability. Even if he could, unless your opponent is fielding a 100 point ghost there will be other ships that can shoot. Against a turreted ship, you will also trigger AT at when out of arc, which is great since he'll also have that extra die to roll at range one. Basically, you'd be crazy not to use AT, and Stealth Device is not going to be nearly as good in any likely scenarios.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Autothrusters on Fenn means the only time he's not getting a free evade is in-arc at range two. Literally every other situation where he's being shot at, he gets a bonus. That's awesome.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
http://m.imgur.com/ss0boK1

Scum epic ship leak? Looks like star viper fix. Syck can suck it!

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

bunnyofdoom posted:

Well, it's half of what I wanted out of a Scum Aces, at least!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Huh, that's one of the Consortium frigates from Empire at War, isn't it? Interesting if so, since that might mean they'll bring out some of the other ships introduced in that game.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm just glad they didn't go with the Wilde Karrde, though Jabba's personal star yacht would have been pretty baller. Also hooray potential Starviper fixes, watch Scum get their own equivalent of a $100 Advanced Targeting Computer/Palp combo.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Kai Tave posted:

I'm just glad they didn't go with the Wilde Karrde, though Jabba's personal star yacht would have been pretty baller. Also hooray potential Starviper fixes, watch Scum get their own equivalent of a $100 Advanced Targeting Computer/Palp combo.

But the Wild Karrde at least has interesting characters associated with it, and we might have gotten a scum Mara Jade crew card. That'd have been fun. This thing looks about as bland as it's possible to be.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I hope to the Force that everything in there is 100% scum-only. I already resent that scum ships represent really expensive 1-2 card expansions to me. I throw the garbage scows in the closet and keep pew pewing up the main event of the GCW.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

This is all assuming it's genuine of course

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Strobe posted:

interesting characters

Strobe posted:

Mara Jade

You're a good dude Strobe, but no.

Also let's not pretend anyone actually gives a gently caress about the epic ships, they could be the raddest looking things in the world and nobody would ever use them as more than glorified shelf decorations (the campaigns are pretty fun but most folks just try an Epic dogfight and realize Epic sucks before never doing it again). This thing is gonna be a hundred dollar Starviper hotfix and I'll still buy it because I need something to do with my money before the apocalyptic collapse of western civilization.

StashAugustine posted:

This is all assuming it's genuine of course

Has there ever been an incident where someone faked an X-Wing release? I remember back when the TFA core got spoiled and some guy I knew absolutely insisted that it had to be nothing but photoshops from organized pranksters even though multiple people were confirming that Target broke the street date and stuff.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Kai Tave posted:

You're a good dude Strobe, but no.

A comma typically separates two different clauses. The Wild Karrde has some interesting characters associated. We might also get a Mara Jade crew card. I'm a decent fan of cross-faction characters and equipment.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'm glad I'm potentially vindicated in saying that FFG wouldn't use the dumb gay phallus Wild Karrde when they wouldn't use the dumb gay phallus Lancer Frigate or Dreadnought.

Because seriously those are all some dumb ships, and the Wild Karrde is also like the lamest goddamned thing associated with the lamest goddamned characters in the entirety of the awful EU.

E: crossfaction stuff is terrible because it dilutes the theme and design space of the individual factions. No thanks.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wookieepedia posted:

Made to counter starfighters and bombers, the Crusader-class corvette carried as many weapons as it could without compromising its space-worthiness.

Crusaders were known to utilize an advanced point-defense weapon system that allowed the ships to actually shoot down enemy missiles or torpedoes before they damaged friendly ships. This made the corvettes a valuable support addition to a fleet

It's not as fugly as The Wild Karrde and practically a perfect fit for what FFG want Epic Ships to be utilized as. It's also pretty cool that of all the ships I've read being suggested by players for the Scum Epic ship, nobody guessed this class. I guess the Legends EU still has a lot left to give!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Strobe posted:

A comma typically separates two different clauses. The Wild Karrde has some interesting characters associated. We might also get a Mara Jade crew card. I'm a decent fan of cross-faction characters and equipment.

I wondered if that might be the case. THAT SAID

Devlan Mud posted:

E: crossfaction stuff is terrible because it dilutes the theme and design space of the individual factions. No thanks.

nnnnnnah? I mean it depends on what we're calling "cross faction" stuff. Is Boba Fett, the pilot, cross faction because the Empire and Scum can both take him, even though he has two completely different pilot abilities? I imagine this is what Strobe meant, not that he wanted a direct reprint of the Imperial Mara Jade upgrade just for Scum but a different Mara Jade crew for the Scum faction with a unique ability. That's largely how FFG seems to be handling any stuff that straddles two different factions.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If the Scum epic comes with an ordnance hard counter I don't know how to feel about that. I get the distinct feeling it'd be large ship only (if not huge ship only, in which case what's the point?).

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

nnnnnnah? I mean it depends on what we're calling "cross faction" stuff. Is Boba Fett, the pilot, cross faction because the Empire and Scum can both take him, even though he has two completely different pilot abilities? I imagine this is what Strobe meant, not that he wanted a direct reprint of the Imperial Mara Jade upgrade just for Scum but a different Mara Jade crew for the Scum faction with a unique ability. That's largely how FFG seems to be handling any stuff that straddles two different factions.

I'm mostly referring to ships, but I'm really hoping Mara Jade is never referred to again by Disney, Lucasfilm, or FFG, because MY WAIFU is literally the worst.

e: I was under the impression the wave 9 ordnance hard counter was an astromech in the ARC or something, I dunno.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
^^^No one really knows what the Jumpmaster hard counter is actually going to be. Could be something in the ARC, could be something in the Shadow Caster, could be FFG strongly exaggerating how much of a counter it actually is. Would this ship even be considered part of Wave 9? I don't know how they categorize this stuff.

Strobe posted:

If the Scum epic comes with an ordnance hard counter I don't know how to feel about that. I get the distinct feeling it'd be large ship only (if not huge ship only, in which case what's the point?).

Yeah, when I read the description for where that came from my first thought was how hilarious it would be if the counter to Scum torpedo boats was A). also in Scum and B). huge ship only because lol

Really, what Epic ships need isn't an ordnance counter, it's a TLT counter. Not that FFG has any pressing need to pay attention to Epic play, but I wonder how well it would work to reworking the Brace action that Epic ships get and instead of treating it as an automatic Evade against all incoming attacks it reduced the damage of all attacks by 1 point. Against most normal attacks it would be functionally identical in most cases, canceling a damage versus negating the hit that would lead to that damage, but it would immunize Epic ships against TLTs entirely so long as you have an uninterrupted action to Brace with.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

What kind of fixes would the Crusader come with for the Star Viper? I only have one, only flew it once and don't really have much insight into its flaws as a viable dogfighter but I thought Sheezors ability was cool and character/faction appropriate.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Devlan Mud posted:

I'm mostly referring to ships, but I'm really hoping Mara Jade is never referred to again by Disney, Lucasfilm, or FFG, because MY WAIFU is literally the worst.

That she is one of the more tolerable things about the EU is an indictment of the EU more than a defense of Mara Jade.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Point defence would be an epic ship hard-point most likely.

I'm pumped for the Star Viper fix. Let's just hope it lasts longer than the Advanced fix which only survived until the Inquisitor was released.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

AndyElusive posted:

What kind of fixes would the Crusader come with for the Star Viper? I only have one, only flew it once and don't really have much insight into its flaws as a viable dogfighter but I thought Sheezors ability was cool and character/faction appropriate.

It's too expensive and also fragile for what it does. 4 hull/1 shield is asking to take crits all day long, and 25 points for the base PS 1 makes it one of the most expensive small ships in the game, outstripped only by the E-Wing (which is also overcosted but has a huge advantage in hull/shield ratio and a better dial) and the TIE Defender (which is overcosted until Thursday and then becomes one of the best generics in the game).

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

It has utterly awful greens, despite an amazing white dial, to get decent upgrades on it you need the unique Virago title, its generic pilots are utter garbage, and its unique pilots don't really take advantage of the ship. I feel like the Starviper is the Scum analog to the F-35 esque boondoggles that the TIE Defender and E-Wing are, but it's a pretty crap tier ship as stands.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

AndyElusive posted:

The Starviper is kind of like the Defender in that it has some good raw numbers (3 red, 3 green, five effective hitpoints), it has a good spread of actions (boost, barrel roll, focus, target lock), buuuuuut its dial is thoroughly mediocre (five green maneuvers none of which is a hard turn, no hard-3 turn, only red maneuvers are the 3-sloops), it's overcosted, and its spread of pilots is underwhelming. Guri has a very good ability, but is only PS5 and to really kit her out requires even more points including spending points on a unique title just to open up the ship's lackluster upgrade bar (the default Starviper doesn't even have an illicit slot for crying out loud, you have to pay for the Virago title for that).

Fixes would probably be similar to the Defender as well...titles which lower the cost, finagle the upgrade bar, and give it some special tricks of its own. Some new pilots wouldn't go amiss either. Put Talonbane Cobra in a Starviper like they did for Mark Steel and the Defender, and give them some sort of crazy title that ditches the torpedo slot no one uses in favor of, I dunno, free boosts or barrel rolls out of S-loops, I don't really know what sort of emphasis they'd want to put on the ship like how with the x7 title the emphasis is on always going fast, but something along those lines.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
General Battuta vs Talas is up now! star wars x wang, lljk

Wedgefist vs Palp Aces, Wampa flavor!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
RIP Wampa.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

The Starviper is kind of like the Defender in that it has some good raw numbers (3 red, 3 green, five effective hitpoints), it has a good spread of actions (boost, barrel roll, focus, target lock), buuuuuut its dial is thoroughly mediocre (five green maneuvers none of which is a hard turn, no hard-3 turn, only red maneuvers are the 3-sloops), it's overcosted, and its spread of pilots is underwhelming. Guri has a very good ability, but is only PS5 and to really kit her out requires even more points including spending points on a unique title just to open up the ship's lackluster upgrade bar (the default Starviper doesn't even have an illicit slot for crying out loud, you have to pay for the Virago title for that).

Fixes would probably be similar to the Defender as well...titles which lower the cost, finagle the upgrade bar, and give it some special tricks of its own. Some new pilots wouldn't go amiss either. Put Talonbane Cobra in a Starviper like they did for Mark Steel and the Defender, and give them some sort of crazy title that ditches the torpedo slot no one uses in favor of, I dunno, free boosts or barrel rolls out of S-loops, I don't really know what sort of emphasis they'd want to put on the ship like how with the x7 title the emphasis is on always going fast, but something along those lines.

My favourite theoretical fix was a Viper-only systems slot upgrade that let it boost backwards at the beginning of the combat phase.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Endman posted:

My favourite theoretical fix was a Viper-only systems slot upgrade that let it boost backwards at the beginning of the combat phase.

Yeah, I think that if I were to try and give the Starviper an identity I would try to turn it into an actual arc-dodging ace-style ship that Scum currently lacks, Fen Rau and the Protectorate Fighter looks like it's going to be themed around playing starfighter chicken instead of bobbing and weaving. Something that lets Starvipers barrel roll or boost twice in a row, something that lets them barrel roll using the 1-bank (or hell, let's get crazy and use the 1-hard instead), backwards boosting, really make it a crazy maneuverable ship with all sorts of weird options that other ships don't get access to, shave some points off, give it some better pilots.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Endman posted:

I want to be able to boost backwards really badly.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
If you hit a ship that can boost backwards with a tractor beam, could you choose to boost it backwards?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Give the Starviper white Segnors. Bam, fixed. Ish.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Devlan Mud posted:

And a normal red kturn while you're at it. Flew Guri for a while and sometimes you realllllly feel the lack of it.

Edit: just make a ps 9 pilot with the ability to do Lightning Reflexes every turn.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Devlan Mud posted:

Extreme emphasis on the ish. White Segnors certainly wouldn't hurt but it's still overcosted, lacking good upgrade options outside of one unique ship per list, and in need of way better pilots. Xizor's problem is that while his ability may help keep his fragile ship alive somewhat longer it doesn't really take advantage of the ship itself in any way. Guri's got a really strong ability but has low intrinsic pilot skill which hurts someone whose special ability seems practically tailored for high PS arc-dodging shenanigans, and kitting her out is pretty expensive. The generics are just bad, I played against someone trying to use a couple as blockers in a 2x Starviper + Tel Trevura list and they were basically free points for me.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Really, what Epic ships need isn't an ordnance counter, it's a TLT counter. Not that FFG has any pressing need to pay attention to Epic play, but I wonder how well it would work to reworking the Brace action that Epic ships get and instead of treating it as an automatic Evade against all incoming attacks it reduced the damage of all attacks by 1 point. Against most normal attacks it would be functionally identical in most cases, canceling a damage versus negating the hit that would lead to that damage, but it would immunize Epic ships against TLTs entirely so long as you have an uninterrupted action to Brace with.

Ahhhhh this is going to be my house rule now as it solves 99% of problems me and my friends ever have with epic ships. (also get on irc so i can get hyped about scum epics).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
That's exactly what I think Brace should do too.

• Locked thread