Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

And what loving difference would that make anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Pshaw. Its decent.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Cedar Ridge is not cheap by a long shot nor is impressive in any way given its price. Just an average "me too" craft offering. We all know you drink Hawkeye Whiskey from the plastic jug anyhow Jastiger.

fat bossy gerbil fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 28, 2016

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Ryoshi posted:

"Oh no these guys at a wedding - including a guy with a JOB - did shots of fireball!! Way gross!" - a child

Adult with an actual palette; even my kid brother should know better than to serve Fireball to grownups. Might as well serve all his beef well-done.

Speaking of which I need to get some good fillet mignon and some capers and fix a steak tartare dinner for friends. Proper adulting.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

The French Army! posted:

Hawkeye Whiskey

Even I, the cheapest of all cheap bastards, would never willingly drink Hawkeye anything anymore. :barf:

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

donkey salami posted:

Anyone still drink everclear? I was trying to explain to someone in California and found out can't be sold in lot of states

bushwack bill is the reason you can't buy 98% in california

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

gently caress off Jastiger

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
The Bob James Bourbon Experience:

The best of the cheap stuff.

Mid tier. When you want a step up from the rabble.

Pro moneybags tier. 30 bucks for some good poo poo.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Rebel Yell is underwhelming but alright neat, better and worth doing if basic on the rocks, and doesn't make a very good sour. Old Crow makes a better sour. Need to grab more Old Grand-Dad to compare in a sour and on the rocks. OGD is rougher than Rebel Yell and the rye gives it more spice so it may hold up better to the lemon in a sour though it's not as sociable neat.

I'd but Rebel Yell again and it's a decent sipper at twentybucks a handle, but think OGD and Old Crow will remain my favorite cheap bourbons.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Once upon a time, in the great Time Before There Were Children, I used to buy my whiskey from the shelves at eye level or above.

Then, the children came. Now there are braces, trumpet lessons, day camp, new shoes, and 10,000 other things that require my money more than the liquor store.

My rotation for the past few years has been Evan Williams, Old Crow, and Old Grand Dad, with constant background bottles of Segram's 7 for summertime 7&7s and Canadian Club for winter Manhattans.

Thanks, this thread, for confirming that I'm doing it right.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Sounds like you done hosed up pretty hard to me

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Four Roses is good to sip every day.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

TheChaosPath posted:

Sounds like you done hosed up pretty hard to me

Trumpets own, shut your dirty mouth. :mad:

https://youtu.be/qc57-IcwnB0

https://youtu.be/fz0l1dn8L4U

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Bob James posted:

Pro moneybags tier. 30 bucks for some good poo poo.

This dropped a tier for me when the the 12 year age statement went away.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

What even has age statements these days outside of the top shelf these days though? If you want to pay for something old thats worth what they charge you shouldn't be drinking whiskey anyhow. Rum and gin are the choice of the wise budget drinker these days but sometimes there's no getting around the fact that it's a whiskey night.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

The French Army! posted:

What even has age statements these days outside of the top shelf these days though?

Ezra Brooks 101 7 Year.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Hope you realize that Ginger Beer doesn't have any alcohol in it. There is a couple on the market that do have alcohol (they are probably garbage though), but Q Ginger Beer is not one of them...

I have drank every loving ginger beer and Royal Jamaican alcoholic ginger beer is the best one please get it if you see it

blenheim hot and bundaberg are 2 and 3

more relevant to topic: evan williams or bust motherfuckers

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
At this point I think I am more Evan Williams then VendaGoat.

Insert dollar, get whiskey.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Cherry season is upon us, time to get some cheap rye and make Cherry Bounce to steep until Christmas. Crack a few pits with pliers to get "that almond taste".

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Just got a litre of ancient ancient age for $13. Its not terrible.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

I don't know. Wild Turkey American Honey is good though. Goes down like, well, honey?

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Cherry season is upon us, time to get some cheap rye and make Cherry Bounce to steep until Christmas. Crack a few pits with pliers to get "that almond taste".

Wtf tell me more

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Evan Williams is just as good as slightly more expensive jack/jim

Cheaper than that just pick the coolest name

Edit: don't drink cheap scotch dear god

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Evan Williams makes me happy

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Drinkin' Evan Williams bottled-in-bond right now mother fuckers. All 100 proof of it.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I had a couple glasses of Ezra Brooks before my goddamn cat knocked the bottle off the counter, shattering it. My review of what little I did have; it's alright, but if I'm gonna spring the two whole extra dollars over a bottle of Evan Williams, then Four Roses is slightly better.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Coldcock is good and doesn't give you a hangover.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Golem II posted:

Coldcock is good and doesn't give you a hangover.

You need to do more cock.

ActionJacksonATL
Nov 9, 2006

So this not-cheap $90 bottle of Longmorn 16 whiskey I got out in Las Cruces apparently isn't available in GA or Michigan (https://www.whiskyonline-shop.com/longmorn-16-year-old.html). Need to find a drat state that sells this...

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

gently caress y'all, I'm drinking Blanton's.

Got a Pappy 12 year in the cabinet. It's overrated as hell. Paid retail, gently caress the hype.

Also got a Elmer T Lee which is good as hell and I wish they made more of it.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I thought it was supposed to be made w brandy...some body please clear this up

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Evans is good with some Evans

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I thought it was supposed to be made w brandy...some body please clear this up

Traditionally made with whatever brown spirit was handy. Quite a bit was made with rum in the colonies, especially New England and whiskey crept in, as well. Rye's spice holds up to the sugar and cherry well where brandy or bourbon could get a bit flat, boring, and overly sweet.

I'm rather fond of infusing Seagram's gin with cherry and no sweetener, as well. Makes great tonics and yummy with the old fashioned treatment.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Spiced rum is awful but I'll be damned if it doesn't go down perfect with some coke. I'm amazed I'm even typing right now.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The French Army! posted:

Spiced rum is awful but I'll be damned if it doesn't go down perfect with some cold mulled cider.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Butch Cassidy posted:

Traditionally made with whatever brown spirit was handy. Quite a bit was made with rum in the colonies, especially New England and whiskey crept in, as well. Rye's spice holds up to the sugar and cherry well where brandy or bourbon could get a bit flat, boring, and overly sweet.

I'm rather fond of infusing Seagram's gin with cherry and no sweetener, as well. Makes great tonics and yummy with the old fashioned treatment.

Thank you sir. I was gonna do this w Mellow Corn but do you have a reasonably priced rye whiskey to recommend?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Thank you sir. I was gonna do this w Mellow Corn but do you have a reasonably priced rye whiskey to recommend?

Rittenhouse

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin
Canadian Club started releasing a 100% rye for $19 that is really quite good and excellent as a Manhattan.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Wtf tell me more

Old-school Americana drink; you can make it with any kind of liquor but brandy is traditional, but I prefer cheap rye for the spicy contrast; I usually use Old Overholt or Old Crow.

Here's a few ways:
- http://imbibemagazine.com/cherry-bounce-recipe/
- http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/to-make-an-excellent-cherry-bounce-394679

Honestly I don't tend to cook them myself, or even necessarily use sugar, I just slice/pierce the cherries. You can crack a few pits for that "almond" (cyanide) taste; IANAD but unless you go whole-hog on dozens of pits you should be fine per google. Me personally I take pliers and crunch a couple pits, but it's optional.

A separate and extremely easy variant is just to get a bunch of dried cherries and soak them in rye at least a couple days. The extra bonus is that the dried cherries re-hydrate, so I like to skewer them on toothpicks and serve them as hors d'oeuvres at parties; people go crazy for them served with a side of little scraps of dark chocolate. You can do the same with prunes or dried apricots, just different sweet pairings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

All whiskey tastes the same to me. I remember a guy I know passing around some super expensive bottle of Jonnie Walker and I tried it. I was like "yeah this is really great mam, wow". But really it just tasted the same as everything else I've ever tried.

I like Yukon Jack. That's whiskey I think?

• Locked thread