Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The company doesn't hold pounds to reimburse your morning coffee, it holds pounds for when it needs to buy three million pounds worth of equipment from the London subsidiary of a Hong Kong / China joint venture in Singapore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- "If your insurance company is letting you pay less than $100 a month to insure your car, then you should not be driving that car."

:negative:

Where do you live and what kinds of cars are your co-workers driving (or how crappy is their driving record)? My wife's car (bought new in 2015) with full coverage and 250/500 liability costs us $65/mo to insure.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Powerlurker posted:

Where do you live and what kinds of cars are your co-workers driving (or how crappy is their driving record)? My wife's car (bought new in 2015) with full coverage and 250/500 liability costs us $65/mo to insure.

I have no idea what their driving record is like, but my boss is a woman in her mid-40's and told me that $50 a month in insurance meant I needed a new car because it was dangerously unsafe if the insurance company let me pay that little.

I'm not sure what kind of car she drives, but it is a white Mercedes SUV that she says cost 70k and is about 210 dollars a month for insurance. I didn't even know SUV's could cost that much.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

My insurance company lets me pay $0 to insure my car.

Insurance is for third party liability, not for vehicle ownership. If you can't afford to replace your vehicle without insurance, you can't afford that vehicle.

last laugh
Feb 11, 2004

NOOOTHING!

Mantle posted:

Insurance is for third party liability, not for vehicle ownership. If you can't afford to replace your vehicle without insurance, you can't afford that vehicle.

Insurance is for protecting your assets and reducing variance. Even if you can afford to outright replace your vehicle, why take that risk?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I have no idea what their driving record is like, but my boss is a woman in her mid-40's and told me that $50 a month in insurance meant I needed a new car because it was dangerously unsafe if the insurance company let me pay that little.

I'm not sure what kind of car she drives, but it is a white Mercedes SUV that she says cost 70k and is about 210 dollars a month for insurance. I didn't even know SUV's could cost that much.

Don't look up a Mercedes G Wagon then, because $70k isn't even half what you can pay for one of those in top trim. We're paying $70/month/car to insure 3 cars for over a million bux. :ohdear:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mantle posted:

Insurance is mandatory in every state, except NH I think, so I assume you are from there?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Mantle posted:

You'd have to be foolish to drive a car under loan that isn't insured; in fact I think most banks and finance services require you to insure your vehicle. As to why you'd want to borrow money to buy a car, opportunity costs and zero interest rates.

That's the opposite of how insurance works :psyduck:

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

You'd have to be foolish to drive a car under loan that isn't insured; in fact I think most banks and finance services require you to insure your vehicle. As to why you'd want to borrow money to buy a car, opportunity costs and zero interest rates.

That's the opposite of how insurance works :psyduck:

You don't get it, he is saying the insurance is to cover accidents and liabilities, not the car.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Insurance is mandatory in every state, except NH I think, so I assume you are from there?

He only has liability coverage, not comprehensive/collision coverage. Your vehicle is uninsured by you, so if you drive it into something then that's your problem.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

H110Hawk posted:

Don't look up a Mercedes G Wagon then, because $70k isn't even half what you can pay for one of those in top trim. We're paying $70/month/car to insure 3 cars for over a million bux. :ohdear:

I'm just quoting this so I can find it easily for the next humblebrag awards.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Weatherman posted:

Please let me know if I win. I would hate to miss out on internet shame.

Edit: I'm going to go get in my obviously deathtrap car and drive over an hour home in traffic. :saddowns:

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 25, 2016

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Weatherman posted:

Pretty sure he is talking about medical coverage. I have 300k covered on each of my cars for a total of 900k. All cars are worth under 20k... You aren't insuring any super car for $70.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

FrozenVent posted:

The company doesn't hold pounds to reimburse your morning coffee, it holds pounds for when it needs to buy three million pounds worth of equipment from the London subsidiary of a Hong Kong / China joint venture in Singapore.

It's unlikely that it holds pounds at all unless it has a British subsidiary that recognizes revenue in pounds. The usual situation would be to have your bank pay the subsidiary the price agreed in pounds plus whatever fees the bank charges to process that transaction in foreign currency. Your bank would then debit your dollar-denominated account the total USD amount.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Weatherman posted:

For owning three cars with a family? That's practically the entrance fee to AI.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Mantle posted:

When collision coverage costs me the princely sum of $20/mo and comprehensive is $8/mo. I think I'll take the insurance.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Dustoph posted:

Pretty sure he is talking about medical coverage. I have 300k covered on each of my cars for a total of 900k. All cars are worth under 20k... You aren't insuring any super car for $70.

More to the point you nearly break even with a $1MM umbrella policy from the multiline discounts on all of your covered policies if you have high limits, especially if you can reduce your per-vehicle coverage. You only have to maintain like 250/500/100 coverage to get the policy covered by the umbrella at State Farm, bringing it to $1.250MM on a given vehicle. Then you have the umbrella on all of your cars and homeowners/renters.

BWM/Overt brag: Got a lump sum from a job whose post-tax amount was either the down payment on a house (with PMI) or the whole cost of a 2009 BMW Z4. I kept renting.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

Bhodi posted:

For owning three cars with a family? That's practically the entrance fee to AI.

No, that's owning three cars per family member. More if anyone else drives them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dustoph posted:

You can insure a Model S for a little more than that; $85/mo or so.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

You can insure a Model S for a little more than that; $85/mo or so.

Don't think I'd refer to a model S as a super car. Which trim are you referring to?

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 26, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dustoph posted:

Don't think I'd refer to a model S as a super car. Which trim are you referring to?

Loaded P85D w/ ludicrous addition.

E: We're with Geico, and when we added it to the Kia Optima we had, it exactly doubled the fees. So I guess they think they're equivalent in some way. We do have the deductibles cranked though.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

bend posted:

No, that's owning three cars per family member. More if anyone else drives them.

Three cars per person, but one drives fine, one drives sometimes, and one will work one of these days just need a few more parts and a dry Saturday.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
RE: The pension discussion. A lot of Canadians seem to be under the impression that their public pensions will be enough to fund their retirement. It really is frightening. And if you tell them that they should save as if the public pension won't exist, they roll their eyes at you as they take out another line of credit. Heck, our CPP/OAS system as it exists today isn't enough to fund the average Canadians' retirement. It's poverty-level income, really.

Zo posted:

Not even close. GTAT was an "all eggs in one basket" situation where the basket got launched into the sun. Today's "crash" is just overall markets going down by like 5-10%. It will recover. If it doesn't recover you will have more urgent problems than retirement to worry about.
Your last sentence is one thing that a lot of those "Flee to gold! Index funds r dumb" dummies don't seem to realize. I know that most people in this thread are generally in favour of investing in Index-Linked funds, but I've had to deal with a lot of people who scoff at this idea and think that the metals market is some sort of super-secure investment. Because if the stock indices nose-dive and plummet in any big, permanent way you're basically looking at the collapse of industrialized society. And if that happens, gold certificates won't be worth a damned thing.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
That's why I pay a little (only 20%) more at GoldBugDirectDotCom LLC, where they ship me genuine gold ingots, direct to my doorstep! I've been burying them in my backyard, it's the most secure way!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Hedge your index fund ETFs with clean water and bullets.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Or just dump all of your money in to that one Vice fund that is composed of weapon manufacturers (VICEX)

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Teeter posted:

Or just dump all of your money in to that one Vice fund that is composed of weapon manufacturers (VICEX)

Not just weapon manufacturers - industries with significant barriers to entry, including alcoholic beverages, tobacco, and gaming.

The top holdings include Philip Morris, Reynolds, Wynn, MGM Resorts, Smith & Wesson, and Raytheon.

Just reading about it kind of makes me think "Yeah, I want in on this." Even their financial reports are addictive...

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Had another conversation with my bad with money coworkers. These are pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, but there are so many bad with money ideas floating around this office.

- One guy is in his mid 40's, just got remarried, and is planning on buying a house next year. He says he is keeping a $2,000 balance on his credit card to "goose" his credit score before applying for a new mortgage. He is not sure if he is paying interest or what rate it is, but it isn't a big deal because he has it set to auto-pay the minimum and an extra couple percentages off of his mortagage rate will be more than worth it.

- The guy who just got a "free upgrade" to his BMW last month by trading in his 2012 model for the 2016 model says he is only using Premium gas and Synthetic oil to keep it in top shape. I don't know if his care needs either, but I have a strong feeling that it doesn't. I told him that Premium gas doesn't make a difference unless the car is designed for it and he should check. He told me that he knows it does because it is "a nice car" and he can "feel the difference."

- Brexit proves that you should never put any money in the stock market.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It probably needs premium. He shouldn't have to worry about oil changes, I think bmw covers all maintenance for the first 2 - 3 years. Still bad with money to sell a 4 year old car for another new car though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BraveUlysses posted:

It probably needs premium. He shouldn't have to worry about oil changes, I think bmw covers all maintenance for the first 2 - 3 years. Still bad with money to sell a 4 year old car for another new car though.

I'm selling a year-old car for a new car because I can't import mine from the US to Canada. :shepspends:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

melon cat posted:

RE: The pension discussion. A lot of Canadians seem to be under the impression that their public pensions will be enough to fund their retirement. It really is frightening. And if you tell them that they should save as if the public pension won't exist, they roll their eyes at you as they take out another line of credit. Heck, our CPP/OAS system as it exists today isn't enough to fund the average Canadians' retirement. It's poverty-level income, really.

I am always interested when people assume the pension will afford them a similar standard of living to which they're accustomed. The reality is that it's usually intended to keep the elderly and infirm off the streets and with food in their bellies... And that's pretty much it.

My guess as to why they think this way is either they seriously think they live "bare bones", or they are deluded as to how much money the pension allots them. Or both!

Of course, being faced with the stark reality of their life in retirement with only the pension will be a huge shock. Hopefully they save something up so they're not completely miserable?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Had another conversation with my bad with money coworkers. These are pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, but there are so many bad with money ideas floating around this office.

- One guy is in his mid 40's, just got remarried, and is planning on buying a house next year. He says he is keeping a $2,000 balance on his credit card to "goose" his credit score before applying for a new mortgage. He is not sure if he is paying interest or what rate it is, but it isn't a big deal because he has it set to auto-pay the minimum and an extra couple percentages off of his mortagage rate will be more than worth it.

- The guy who just got a "free upgrade" to his BMW last month by trading in his 2012 model for the 2016 model says he is only using Premium gas and Synthetic oil to keep it in top shape. I don't know if his care needs either, but I have a strong feeling that it doesn't. I told him that Premium gas doesn't make a difference unless the car is designed for it and he should check. He told me that he knows it does because it is "a nice car" and he can "feel the difference."

- Brexit proves that you should never put any money in the stock market.

I know car chat is always frowned upon, but the recommended gasoline for most BMWs at least from 1999+ is 91 octane. Since higher octane gas is directly related to the amount of ping in an engine, an engine with a higher minimum octane rating will require higher octane gas to run efficiently/without any automatic adjustments made by the computer controlling all of this stuff.

It usually costs about $4 or something or more to put in premium gas. If you can't afford to put in premium gas, then you probably shouldn't buy a car that requires it.

Same for synthetic oils. On a very high level, motor oils are created using a bunch of detergents, esters, and a base oil. Synthetic oils are developed to operate at higher temperature extremes. For a BMW, they recommend synthetics since its operating at a higher temperature (hence the premium gas as well).

basically, it will run nicer because its designed to run nicer on synthetics and higher octane gas.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I don't know if his care needs either, but I have a strong feeling that it doesn't

BMWs absolutely do require premium fuel and synthetic oil. Especially now that they are all turbo motors, but even the older NA motors require premium fuel and synthetic oil. They are high compression motors with tight tolerances.

But if premium fuel (couple bucks more per fill-up) and synthetic oil are budget breakers for you, you've bought the wrong car. Given that change intervals with synthetic are much longer than with conventional oil the long-run cost difference is negligible.

It's also pretty common for new cars to require synthetic oil these days because it outperforms conventional oil in almost all respects and lasts a lot longer. And now that turbos are also getting really popular a lot of new cars require premium fuel, too. They might "run ok" on less than premium, but you're losing power and efficiency by not running the specified octane fuel.

Moral of the story: read your owner's manual and put the type of fuel that it specifies in your car, and change your oil with the type of oil specified at the interval specified. Not rocket science.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
shut up about cars

e: Unless it is an entertaining BWM story

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Barry posted:

shut up about cars

e: Unless it is an entertaining BWM story

But these are entertaining BMW stories.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Yes octane levels and oil types, I'm on the edge of my seat

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

melon cat posted:

It's the opposite in New Zealand as most people accept that there will be no public pension for them. Yet most are not saving enough, and some people I know getting close to retirement age are telling people to save more as they didn't. Although the public pension is higher than unemployment payments it's still not big money. Although I'm not sure how much longer the public pension will be justified for as everyone over 65 is eligible.

I suspect a lot of people are just saving large quantities of cash instead of investing. That puts them of risk in the event of a bank collapse as there are no Government protections on bank deposits. A lot of people could end up wiped out in a financial crisis.

Although New Zealand is on the up and up with respect to increasing inequality. http://www.interest.co.nz/personal-finance/82323/around-10-individuals-account-60-country%E2%80%99s-net-worth-according-stats-nz

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Is there a modern, developed/developing economy without large income inequality?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Well if you look on one of the graphs inequality isn't as bad in Greece and the Slovak Republic. I guess we need to move to either of those countries, what could possibly go wrong. You'll always get inequality, I'm just not sure why NZ wants to catch up with the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Devian666 posted:

Well if you look on one of the graphs inequality isn't as bad in Greece and the Slovak Republic. I guess we need to move to either of those countries, what could possibly go wrong. You'll always get inequality, I'm just not sure why NZ wants to catch up with the US.

They dream of Gini.

• Locked thread