Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
lol just lol if the new PM triggers article 50 without first calling a parliament vote that the referendum will never survive

on the plus side, if the UK becomes a third world country we can finally have a UK.jpg thread to join the long standing tradition of India and Russia threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
We probably already can. If someone can be arsed to go through facebook or whatever there'll be plenty of stupid Brit pics.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm glad for the Brexit, makes sense why there's a US flag on the moon while the EU never had similar inspiring accomplishments.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ArsenalMoh8/status/747515632661467136

https://twitter.com/ThatChris1209/status/747545888969662464

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 28, 2016

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
it's not really a secret that England doesn't have a good team now, and never really has

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

proof of concept posted:

it's not really a secret that England doesn't have a good team now, and never really has

Didn't want that championship anyway

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Azhais posted:

Didn't want that championship anyway

they didn't even really win the world cup that one time lol it was basically a gift from a sympathetic referee

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
My Iranian Shah-loving grandfather would've loved to see this outcome.

Pretty sure his zombified corpse might still want to pop out and laugh at Britain potentially imploding.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
This is fascinating stuff, but more questions:

What's the deal with Wales, like, what do they have going on? The US educations system is pretty thin on them and honestly here are all my Wales facts:

1) Dylan Thomas and I think Richard Burton were from there?
2) that dr who spinoff where everyone fucks is set there
3) they have a silly looking language that the seem very sensitive about
4) they are really into dragons?!?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bongwizzard posted:

What's the deal with Wales, like, what do they have going on? The US educations system is pretty thin on them and honestly here are all my Wales facts:

welsh language sounds like something out of Lord of the Rings

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

I'm glad for the Brexit, makes sense why there's a US flag on the moon while the EU never had similar inspiring accomplishments.

Didn't the EUSA kinda/sorta land a probe on an asteroid or something once, and it worked for like 3 minutes? Bless their hearts.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

i understand welsh were like disney dwarves, miners who sang in complex harmonies a lot while mining

now they are less of that i guess

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Anthony Hopkins is Welsh, but he decided road trips through the American west beats the poo poo out of living in villages that worship false fish gods in indecipherable languages like something out of a poorly conceived Lovecraft short story.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
England leaving the EU: Bad
Scotland leaving the UK: Good
England's soccer team: Bad
Not paying high taxes on your retirement villa in a foreign country: Good

e: Wales: Unknown

Thots and Prayers fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 28, 2016

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zahgaegun posted:

England leaving the EU: Bad
Scotland leaving England: Good
England's soccer team: Bad
Not paying high taxes on your retirement villa in a foreign country: Good

e: Wales: Unknown

If only you could replace old cranky brits with polish women

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

bongwizzard posted:

regardless of politics Wales is a very beautiful place. also they make a dish called rarebit which is very good

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Americans discovering that Wales exists never gets old

Haha! Look at that silly language! Cymraeg??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvuxYxmlfrc

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

regardless of politics Wales is a very beautiful place. also they make a dish called rarebit which is very good

Gonna pop on down to my local Wales-themed restaurant and get me some rarebit oh wait awww

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Zahgaegun posted:

Gonna pop on down to my local Wales-themed restaurant and get me some rarebit oh wait awww

its not hard to make its basically like a cheesy toast except the cheese is mixed into a sort of beer and mustard sauce

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I just listed to some welsh, that is a funny sounding language.

I have never been so interested in these dumb little islands before this.

Edit: I have had rarebit before, it was ok but some seemed......idk, underwhelming? Like, it's cheesy toast but you have to dirty a pan to make it.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 28, 2016

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

its not hard to make its basically like a cheesy toast except the cheese is mixed into a sort of beer and mustard sauce

Stop stop I'm booking a ticket to Wales right now.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
lol british racism

all i can see is jason statham/snatch looking brits yelling "FOOKIN PAKIS" at brown people

vinnie jones punching a fat polish plumber forever

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

etalian posted:

sounds good turks have better food and more attractive women than the brits.

Uh, yeah, the girls couldn't make it, dawg. Sorry. I brought my boys, though.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
to hell with the queen of england!!!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

My only experience with the Welsh is the CK2 game wear I accidentally got a son to be king of one of the Welsh kingdoms after marrying him to an Ethiopian princess so all the kings or whatever of that place because very swarthy and Ethiopian Othrodox or whatever.

I think it's may fault they don't like immigrants now :ohdear:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cthulu Carl posted:

My only experience with the Welsh is the CK2 game wear I accidentally got a son to be king of one of the Welsh kingdoms after marrying him to an Ethiopian princess so all the kings or whatever of that place because very swarthy and Ethiopian Othrodox or whatever.

I think it's may fault they don't like immigrants now :ohdear:

Welsh used to be pretty decent. You could get Tanistry succession right away, which isn't everyone's favorite but it is way better than gavelkind. Plus welsh got the longbow guys as their cultural unit, which for a while was pretty OP in sieges, but I think that got toned down.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
being amused by this all day has had the unpleasant side effect of leaving me with a serious hankering for black pudding or haggis on an oat cake or just some good old bangers, and there is no where close by to get these things, so i mean i suppose it's good the pound sucks now because i can just fly off to the uk whenever in the next two years and eat and hike up small mountains to my heart's content, but i'm not sure if it's worth it to go through heathrow again

e: there should be an airport in glasgow that all US flights have to go through, it'd be hilarious as hell to watch my fellow ameros struggle to understand what anyone is saying

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Winston Churchill, on the Landing of William the Conqueror posted:

On September 28 the fleet hove in sight, and all came safely to anchor in Pevensey Bay. There was no opposition to the landing. The local "fyrd" had been called out this year four times already to watch the coast, and having, in true English style, come to the conclusion that the danger was past because it had not yet arrived had gone back to their homes.

i feel this explains a lot about england, if anyone is still confused please refer to your closest copy of a history of the english speaking peoples

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/devon-cornwall-somerset-line-600m-eu/story-19418663-detail/story.html

http://news.sky.com/story/1717526/regions-demand-uk-govt-matches-lost-eu-funds

cornwall will lose 600 million in eu benefits

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I think there was a post earlier that gave a breakdown of the percentage of voters for each age range. Was I right in remembering that only 26% of 18-24 year olds voted?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

VideoGames posted:

I think there was a post earlier that gave a breakdown of the percentage of voters for each age range. Was I right in remembering that only 26% of 18-24 year olds voted?

It was more than that, but probably enough to influence the result of the vote regardless. Us young people love to whinge (with some justification) about boomers ruining everything, but if we don't vote nothing is going to change.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

gay picnic defence posted:

It was more than that, but probably enough to influence the result of the vote regardless. Us young people love to whinge (with some justification) about boomers ruining everything, but if we don't vote nothing is going to change.

it wasn't 100% for stay, though. a significant amount of young (say, under 35) voters voted for leave.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
It was 64% of 18-24 and 42% of 25-34 year olds who didn't vote. I don't know how many people there are in those age groups but I'd be surprised if we'd have seen the same result if 83% of them voted (the % of 65+ who voted). Three-quarters of 18-24 and almost two-thirds of the next-youngest category (25-34) voted to remain in the EU.
http://www.theage.com.au/world/young-brits-are-angry-about-older-people-deciding-their-future-but-most-didnt-vote-20160627-gptat5.html

Maybe this will be the scare that gets Gen Y off their arses and forces politicians to start listening to them.

gay picnic defence fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 28, 2016

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Maybe this was a long con by literally every brit to get cameron out of office, and now they will just say "Haha, fooled ya, we are not really leaving."

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36641390

quote:

On the fifth day after the referendum in which the UK voted to leave the European Union, the Reality Check team looks at some of the claims and promises made during the campaign by Leave campaigners who now appear to have modified their positions.

The campaign claim: Immigration levels could be controlled if the UK left the EU. This would relieve pressure on public services.
The current claim: Immigration levels can't be radically reduced by leaving the EU. Fears about immigration did not influence the way people voted.

The campaign claim: We send £350m a week to Brussels, which could be spent on the NHS instead.
The current claim: The claim was a mistake, and we will not be able to spend that much extra on the NHS.

The campaign claim: The UK does not need preferential access to the single market.
The current claim: The UK should get preferential access to the single market but will not have to accept freedom of movement to get it.

funniest part is the last, according to the article the uk can most likely retain preferential access to the single market if they accept free movement as well. the only thing that changes in that regard is that they forfeit their ability to actually influence the decision making in the eu. what a bunch of sad idiots.

here's a more in depth analysis: http://www.cer.org.uk/publications/archive/policy-brief/2016/if-uk-votes-leave-seven-alternatives-eu-membership

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 28, 2016

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Maybe this will be the scare that gets Gen Y off their arses and forces politicians to start listening to them.

ahaha

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

It was 64% of 18-24 and 42% of 25-34 year olds who didn't vote. I don't know how many people there are in those age groups but I'd be surprised if we'd have seen the same result if 83% of them voted (the % of 65+ who voted). Three-quarters of 18-24 and almost two-thirds of the next-youngest category (25-34) voted to remain in the EU.
http://www.theage.com.au/world/young-brits-are-angry-about-older-people-deciding-their-future-but-most-didnt-vote-20160627-gptat5.html

:yikes: they need to take some accountability then and not only blame the old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

who shakes hands with the left? the literal devil

good on you lil british skinhead

• Locked thread