Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

redbackground posted:

Whatever this amounts to, it's still has to be better than Barbara/Tim in the Arkham games.

Yeah, everyone knows Tim is in love with Conner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I actually bought the hints of the Tim Drake/Harper relationship they were sorta laying a couple of seeds for before switching to Tim/Stephanie. Which makes sense considering how well Tim and Stephanie work as a couple and balance each other. I really dug the idea of Tim and Harper hooking up when they were kind of pushing their relationship in that direction. This opinion might be influenced by the fact that Bluebird's mask design is the raddest poo poo ever.

But yeah, I'm not even a huge fan of Dick and Barbara per se, it's more the fact that they're so very obviously the only relationship either is destined to be in (I never really bought the Robin/Starfire relationship) that it hangs a cloud over any time they're with anybody else because it's obviously temporary.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Good thing there's no third act in comics. Grayson's reluctance to stay in Gotham now that he isn't Robin keeps them from ever being together. For being a Batman family character, Dick isn't beholden to Gotham. It's a shame that Morrison never touched on their relationship while Dick was Batman. That'd be the one time where those two would have a chance.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Toxxupation posted:

I'm just super tired of all the orchestrations to not do Dick/Babs. They're obviously the one true relationship or whatever and we haven't seen them paired up since...gently caress, over a decade now at least. I'd even be fine with them definitively putting the whole Dick/Barbara thing to bed if there wasn't some issue of Batwing or Grayson or Batgirl or whatever that doesn't have either Dick or Barbara staring at the other and sighing at what might've been or one confessing their true love to the other juuuuuuuuuust late enough so the other has to sadly turn them down with some variation of "The timing isn't right".

The amount of will they/won't they with Dick and Barbara has just gotten obnoxious and they need to pull the loving trigger on it or stop bringing it up.

The Nightwing/Oracle two-part Convergence story will scratch this itch so hard. And it's not lame like most of the rest of Convergence, either!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

SonicRulez posted:

One of his villains is named Rubberband Man. How can you not want to publish Static comics?
It's been forever since I read the original Static series but I remember being so mad when that first Rubberband Man issue came out. Maybe it was just because the book had gotten a new creative team which I viewed as a step down, but they did the standard heroic "oh no, all of my electrical powers are useless against this dude made out of insulating rubber" so Virgil had to dig deep to figure out a solution...

"THE POWER OF THE DOZENS" which in itself is not a terrible idea, that if you cannot physically defeat a foe break their spirit with cutting barbs. But for whatever reason the creative team just decided to like do a bunch of dialogue-free panels of Static signifying at Rubberband Man until he was a crying heap on the ground. It was like an unironic version of this scene without even show the rappity rap rap.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

How was Marc Bernardin on Static? Static is a proven property, like Teen Titans, that DC should be embarrassed for not making good comics about.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Die Laughing posted:

Good thing there's no third act in comics. Grayson's reluctance to stay in Gotham now that he isn't Robin keeps them from ever being together. For being a Batman family character, Dick isn't beholden to Gotham. It's a shame that Morrison never touched on their relationship while Dick was Batman. That'd be the one time where those two would have a chance.

I believe Dick is back in Gotham in the new Nightwing series.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

X-O posted:

And in a good costume!

I just hope it's quality like Grayson was.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Nightwing will be interesting. The character is prone to drastic changes, so we'll see where this goes. Coincidentally, Barbara is leaving Gotham in her series.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I never got into any of the Nightwing books besides Greyson. I should probably remedy that since I do really love the character.
What runs are worth checking out?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Norns posted:

I never got into any of the Nightwing books besides Greyson. I should probably remedy that since I do really love the character.

The Dixon run that started in 1997 or so.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm reading We Are Robin (a series I, incidentally, really like) and it's amazing how Duke Thomas is an immediately more interesting character then Luke Fox ever was. I don't like him as Lark really at all so far (admittedly he's been Lark for exactly one issue and mentioned in a second if we don't count the Future's End/Batman hallucination stuff) but he's got a good personality and hook to his character in this prequel series that Luke never really had either in or out of costume. I mean, I never read Batwing so maybe Luke is some incredible character there but I kinda doubt it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Norns posted:

Morrison's Batman & Robin. Does anyone have the "They're waiting for the hero to take the stage." Page with Alfred, Dick, and the cowl? One of my favorite pages ever.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just subscribed to Marvel Unlimited and goddamn does DC need to rip this idea off.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Die Laughing posted:

Morrison's Batman & Robin. Does anyone have the "They're waiting for the hero to take the stage." Page with Alfred, Dick, and the cowl? One of my favorite pages ever.

I've read this. Many times.

Love Morrison and Quietly very much.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just subscribed to Marvel Unlimited and goddamn does DC need to rip this idea off.

Their old rear end contracts with creators are preventing it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rhyno posted:

drat. Is this the kind of thing that can change as contracts expire, or are they locked into this til the end of time? I'm sure you'll give me the worst possible answer, but in the back of my mind, I'm still gonna feel like it's only a matter of time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

I mean, I never read Batwing so maybe Luke is some incredible character there but I kinda doubt it.

No, he's awful. In fact, he doesn't even come into the series until halfway through when everyone realized "poo poo, no one is buying this book about the Batman of Africa and we have run out of excuses for him to keep showing up in Gotham. Better just put a new guy in the suit with closer ties to the main Bat-family! Lucius Fox has kids, right?"

this is an edit I made but it might as well be the back half of Batwing

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

I wanna say Simone and Fialkov were both in 2013? And then you had stuff like George Perez talking about how he couldn't wait to leave Superman because he didn't like editorial, and Andy Diggle who straight quit Action Comics for the same reasons right after he started. Stories like this were way too frequent at the time.

The one I remember was Kevin Maguire being sacked (via Twitter?) then having hardcore DC fans whinging at him for publicising what had happened because it made the company look bad.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Rhyno posted:

Is this the official reason?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

drat. Is this the kind of thing that can change as contracts expire, or are they locked into this til the end of time? I'm sure you'll give me the worst possible answer, but in the back of my mind, I'm still gonna feel like it's only a matter of time.
We don't really know the specific terms of said contracts, so no real way to know what happens at any point beyond some vague terms about creators in the 70s/80s getting fairly generous royalty terms at a time when reprints were uncommon beyond super-important issues like origins or whatever. DC basically has to renegotiate those contracts any time they want to reprint something from that era, and digital would be no different, really.

All that said, there's no reason they couldn't just start with wherever those contracts stopped being written and move forward from there.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

We don't really know the specific terms of said contracts, so no real way to know what happens at any point beyond some vague terms about creators in the 70s/80s getting fairly generous royalty terms at a time when reprints were uncommon beyond super-important issues like origins or whatever. DC basically has to renegotiate those contracts any time they want to reprint something from that era, and digital would be no different, really.

All that said, there's no reason they couldn't just start with wherever those contracts stopped being written and move forward from there.
I'm hopeful things can change as time goes on--there used to be talk that there would never be Grant/Breyfogle Batman collections (and there weren't, for too damned long a time) because of contracts/rights/whatev but then those new collections came out recently.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It seems more likely that they just don't think the app would make money or be worth it. Because they are a poorly run company.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Toxxupation posted:

I mean, I never read Batwing so maybe Luke is some incredible character there but I kinda doubt it.

No it's bad. They did a "Gotham Underground Society" arc like immediately, which is how you know a Batfamily book is bad.

Norns posted:

I'm going to assume you're into Dick Grayson and not just Nightwing and recommend him in roles as Robin, Nightwing, and Batman.

For Robin stories:
Batgirl/Robin Year One by Chuck Dixon.

For Nightwing stories:
Teen Titans: Judas Contract
The Nightwing mini by Denny O'Neil (volume 1)
The Chuck DIxon Nightwing run, (volume 2), Dixon lasts like 70 issues.

For Batman Stores:
Batman and Robin by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely, 1-16.
Batman: The Black Mirror by Scott Snyder (this was published in Detective and I can't remember the issues, but it's an easy trade to find).
Batman: Gates of Gotham by Scott Snyder and Kyle Higgins.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

No it's bad. They did a "Gotham Underground Society" arc like immediately, which is how you know a Batfamily book is bad.

We Are Robin went with a Gotham Underground arc immediately and I quite like that book, but yeah Batwing always looked real dumb.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
David Zavimbe was a far better Batwing than Luke.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

X-O posted:

That's in a couple of weeks, right? I'm excited to start buying my favorite dude again.

Nobody is bringing it up, but I thought the first part of New52 Nightwing was a good read. Once he leaves Bludhaven, I wasn't so into it. Battle for the Cowl is not all that good, but Dick's monologue at the end is one of my favorites.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I couldn't get past the red outfit.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

SonicRulez posted:

Nobody is bringing it up, but I thought the first part of New52 Nightwing was a good read. Once he leaves Bludhaven, I wasn't so into it. Battle for the Cowl is not all that good, but Dick's monologue at the end is one of my favorites.

Gotham you mean, Bludhaven was never a thing in the N52. I also enjoyed the series and having him move to Chicago was a pretty interesting direction, shame that it didn't last.

WickedHate posted:

I couldn't get past the red outfit.

I like the red outfit more than the blue. It was a great way to have a thematic connection between all the robins.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I like the red outfit more than the blue. It was a great way to have a thematic connection between all the robins.

But Dick isn't Robin, he moved past it, he graduated. He's his own man. Besides, Robin is supposed to be the light counterweight to Batman's dark, and so his red is always light and kind of peppy. N52 Nightwing looked like a snarling blood red vampire.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WickedHate posted:

But Dick isn't Robin, he moved past it, he graduated. He's his own man. Besides, Robin is supposed to be the light counterweight to Batman's dark, and so his red is always light and kind of peppy. N52 Nightwing looked like a snarling blood red vampire.

So is Jason and Tim. Nothing wrong with having some element within their designs working as a reference to their shared past as Batman's partners. Then again, I see the Robin mantle as being something more than just Batman's partners and more like a shared legacy that binds them together as brothers. That is part I didn't liked the We Are Robin concept much, it cheapened the meaning of being Robin. For me at least.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's hard for Robin to have meaning when there have been 4 Robins in ~10 years.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah that's the entire point of Nightwing existing at all is that Dick grew up. He's not mired in his past. He's Batman's greatest success. He's healed from his pain and turned it around, unlike Bruce, who didn't have that kind of father figure when his own parents died. Making Nightwing just a reminder of his tenure as Robin weakens the entire concept of Batman.

Jason and Tim have not grown up and moved past it the same way Dick has. Jason is running around as the guy who killed him. He hasn't moved past jack poo poo.
Tim loved being Robin and never wanted to be anything else. His current identity is explicitly designed to remind people of Robin and is a weak compromise that is eventually going to have to change if the character is going to be anywhere near as good as he was in the old days.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 28, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So is Jason and Tim.

Yeah but I don't think Tim ever should have stopped being Robin either, and Jason being the Red Hood is coincidental, not an intentional thematic thing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So is Jason and Tim. Nothing wrong with having some element within their designs working as a reference to their shared past as Batman's partners. Then again, I see the Robin mantle as being something more than just Batman's partners and more like a shared legacy that binds them together as brothers. That is part I didn't liked the We Are Robin concept much, it cheapened the meaning of being Robin. For me at least.

The Robin position was cheapened long before any of this We Are Robin poo poo happened. Probably around the time they created a Robin and held a vote just to kill him off.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Actually, Damian is in fact the best Robin.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

Actually, Damian is in fact the best Robin.
You misspelled Robin the Toy Wonder of the 853rd Century.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

It's hard for Robin to have meaning when there have been 4 Robins in ~10 years.

:shrug:

That was never anything that bothered me and in fact, I found it as working better towards the sense of the boys being brothers.

WickedHate posted:

Yeah but I don't think Tim ever should have stopped being Robin either, and Jason being the Red Hood is coincidental, not an intentional thematic thing.

Exactly, that is precisely why I liked it. They took something that was nothing more than a happy coincidence into an actual thematic connection.

Travis343 posted:

Jason and Tim have not grown up and moved past it the same way Dick has. Jason is running around as the guy who killed him. He hasn't moved past jack poo poo.
Tim loved being Robin and never wanted to be anything else. His current identity is explicitly designed to remind people of Robin and is a weak compromise that is eventually going to have to change if the character is going to be anywhere near as good as he was in the old days.

Jason took the Red Hood persona and made it his. And he's perfectly aware of the contradiction that presents but he still strives forwards to become better. I can't tell much about pre flashpoint Tim but in the N52 he also took the Red Robin identity and made it his, the way they're just bouncing him back to the way he was in the past it feels like a regression to the way his character was through the N52.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The Robin position was cheapened long before any of this We Are Robin poo poo happened. Probably around the time they created a Robin and held a vote just to kill him off.

Them's the breaks. The concept of Robin is intrinsically tied now with all of the sons of Batman and I wouldn't want it differently.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I want a time traveling Bruce Wayne plucked from history the moment before he and his parents go in the alley, to be Robin. He is returned with his memories erased of course... OR IS HE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

greatn posted:

I want a time traveling Bruce Wayne plucked from history the moment before he and his parents go in the alley, to be Robin. He is returned with his memories erased of course... OR IS HE