Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I know I said it earlier but I just don't like how The Ringer looks. The formatting and the layout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

GobiasIndustries posted:

The Ringer right now is an HBO surrogate with some hot takes and clickbait-level article titles mixed in. Beyond a few articles, everything I've read there has been very, very bad.

Yeah actually I was bored late last night and read some stuff and all of it, even by writers I've previously enjoyed, was just very bad. Even the stuff that wasn't actively painful to read was just shallow as hell. I don't get what they're doing there but it doesn't involve taking writing seriously.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
One of the local guys from here kind of got his breakout with the Ringer. I may be selling him short, he may have been writing on a wider scale more regularly before, but I remember him from team blogs.

https://theringer.com/search?q=michael%20baumann

His stuff's good, it has some insight that's more than just skin deep. The roundup articles are going to be necessarily shallower, it's 9 bullet points about general topics. You have to be going there for baseball articles to find him, though. I am noting that there is a link for "Sports" AND a link for "NBA" on the nav bar for them.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Baumann also wrote for Grantland, so yeah the Ringer isn't exactly a breakout for him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He has a bigger role with The Ringer. He's taken over the Keri role as the main MLB writer and is honestly probably my favorite part of the ringer so far. The drop off on the NBA side from Zach Lowe to Tjarks or whatever the hell his name is has been pretty dramatic. The Ringer is clearly going for younger/less established/cheaper writers than Grantland was for the most part though and doesn't seem to be aiming for the same level of prestige.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The Tjarks hiring was a strange one, he was like the fourth-best basketball writer at SBNation and always seems kind of vanilla in general. It's hard to believe they couldn't pry away someone like Ziller or Prada that at least have more of a voice

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I thought Danny Chau was the main guy, although it doesn't seem like any of him, Tjarks or netw3rk are going to write anything of Lowe's depth just yet. The whole thing launched as the Finals were starting, so I think the basketball stuff will take some time to get settled.

What's Rafe Bartholomew up to these days?

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster
If you have listened to any of Simmons' podcasts since leaving ESPN he has always highlighted how grantlands readership changed from the desktop to 65%+ mobile over the course of its lifespan, it's not surprising that it went more bite size and the articles aren't as meaty.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

KFBR392 posted:

If you have listened to any of Simmons' podcasts since leaving ESPN he has always highlighted how grantlands readership changed from the desktop to 65%+ mobile over the course of its lifespan, it's not surprising that it went more bite size and the articles aren't as meaty.

Switching to mobile viewing is one thing, having poor articles and site design is another.

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster
There's formating that's more easily read and mobile and there's content that's more easily digestible by your average reader when using a moble. They are different things and the former is a requirement (part of why he was pissed about grantland) while the latter is a business choice. I'm not a fan of it either but maybe I'm not the targeted reader.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

howe_sam posted:

Baumann also wrote for Grantland, so yeah the Ringer isn't exactly a breakout for him.

I did know he wrote for Grantland (and he's published a book), I wasn't sure if he was a regular contributor/editor. I have definitely sold him short.

Anyway the point is he is a good baseball writer and I'll read his stuff pretty much wherever so he's a reason to go to the site.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Really cool roundtable discussion on sports journalists and politics. Schefter comes off as a mega dweeb.
http://www.si.com/tech-media/2016/06/26/media-circus-sports-media-politics-michele-tafoya-adam-schefter-jemele-hill

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Adam schefter being a weird little man? Shocking!

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

Schefter's answers are absolutely amazing:

quote:

SI.com: In your opinion, should people in the sports media make their political viewpoints known publicly? If yes, why? If no, why?

Schefter: No. Politics is not a normal day-to-day topic of discussion and reporting. It does not impact how we go about our jobs. Sports figures who publicize their political viewpoints only serve to divide the audience. People are drawn to sports as an escape from politics.

quote:

SI.com: How often have you referenced something political on your social media feed and what has been the reaction?

Schefter: Never. But I live in fear of accidentally doing it. There have been occasions when I've looked over my Twitter feed only to see that I've accidentally liked a tweet by simply rubbing my thumb over it on my iPhone. I'd be like, “How did that happen?” and then I realize I accidentally must have hit the like button on that tweet. And that's one of my great social-media fears, that I'm going to like a tweet about some political candidate that I never intended to. So let me be clear and beg for forgiveness right here right now. I NEVER would favorite any tweet about any political candidate. Should one happen to show up on people's timelines from me, ignore it. It was purely accidental.

This dude is "stick to sports" personified...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's extra funny because he talks about how perfect and rigid ESPN's guidelines are when Bomani and Jemele Hill are on the same loving network.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Schefter always comes off as apolitical as you could get. But I found this funny

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/746479057676668928

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Schefter is a goob but there are far more insufferable people at ESPN

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Didn't Schefter do that ridiculous Greg Hardy softball interview?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

zakharov posted:

Didn't Schefter do that ridiculous Greg Hardy softball interview?

Yep

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes that was him, unfortunately

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also to be fair (to his lack of politicizing, not the Greg Hardy thing), his job is strictly to report things, not give his takes on them.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I imagine Rovell would have the same opinions Schefter does. Schefter isn't much different from him other than reporting on a more important subject.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Up Circle posted:

I imagine Rovell would have the same opinions Schefter does. Schefter isn't much different from him other than reporting on a more important subject.

Schefter would never make this

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/741416732766666752

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If Woj is powerful enough to have his own site and stuff just for hot scoops and rumors - why hasn't an NFL writer broke free yet? Ala Schefter.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Harlock posted:

If Woj is powerful enough to have his own site and stuff just for hot scoops and rumors - why hasn't an NFL writer broke free yet? Ala Schefter.

Woj basically has the same setup Peter King has

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Badfinger posted:

Anyway the point is he is a good baseball writer and I'll read his stuff pretty much wherever so he's a reason to go to the site.

I enjoyed his piece on Theo today. As well as Kate Knibbs' ode to the Internet Archive.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Schefter got people fired because he tweeted protected health information, gently caress that guy

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Schefter got people fired because he tweeted protected health information, gently caress that guy

Whoever gave him the JPP stuff is an rear end in a top hat that deserved to get fired. It was literally their job to not show other people that poo poo and they didn't do it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

pseudodragon posted:

Whoever gave him the JPP stuff is an rear end in a top hat that deserved to get fired. It was literally their job to not show other people that poo poo and they didn't do it.

And instead someone who would not leak people's information got the job instead. I feel like that's a win.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Adam Schefter isn't the one bound by HIPAA laws. The person deserved their firing

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Ringer should have hired Nate Duncan.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

euphronius posted:

The Ringer should have hired Nate Duncan.

I was just thinking that the other day.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If Heaven was real, half of those people wouldn't be there.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Unmerciful posted:

Schefter's answers are absolutely amazing:

This dude is "stick to sports" personified...

Seems like a smart strategy in today's environment.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sash! posted:

If Heaven was real, half of those people wouldn't be there.

What do you have against Donner's Superman?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Pumped for some Sash MLK hot takes

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Niwrad posted:

Seems like a smart strategy in today's environment.
For decades there have been journalists and/or news org's who've argued that to be truly neutral you can't even vote, let alone say anything that might be perceived as political.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I just noticed Superman was in that loving Ali pic.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Greg Hardy interview was a joke but I'm sure that's much more of a commentary on the producers and the network than Schefter. I'd bet anything he was pretty much tied down on what he could ask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

The Greg Hardy interview was a joke but I'm sure that's much more of a commentary on the producers and the network than Schefter. I'd bet anything he was pretty much tied down on what he could ask

The original piece got plenty of criticism but if I remember right it was Schefter's comments afterwards that put the spotlight on him:

quote:

I’ll say this, I’ll say this to you,” the ESPN NFL reporter told Patrick. “I went in there with the idea that everybody had, that this guy’s a monster, OK? I went in there thinking that this is one of the scariest people in the NFL. And I came out of there with a very different feeling about him. I came out of there with a feeling that this is a guy who has managed to say the wrong things at the wrong times, has not always made the right decisions. But I found him to be a changed kind of guy, a guy that I think realizes he did make a mistake, could have handled things differently in regards to that incident."